• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
User banned (2 days): antagonizing and harassing a developer over their work, bad faith trolling over multiple posts in the thread
My evidence is that I worked there and had no access to business KPIs.

Also, tell me how it's remotely smart to balancing an unpopular champion to sell an item instead of just selling more items for popular champions, lol.

Great, and you were the only employee so every employee had your exact experience. Also, you would have no reason to be dishonest about this and I should take your word as 100% evidence even though we've never met.

Because you don't have to MAKE the content. Instead of having to design, code, and release a new skin you just tweak some numbers. All the content is already in place this way across the board. I have already addressed this.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't think personal experience is a good perspective for this. Fact is, pick/ban rates fluctuate a ton over time outside of a few outliers.
Fair enough on the personal experience thing, though I would argue pick/ban rates actually do not fluctuate a lot. Some heroes will always be safe picks by a big part of the community, be either due to its kit (take Pudge, for example) or because of its flair/power levels that can be achieved by high levels of play (think Invoker, Anti-mage, Terrorblade).

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Fair enough on the personal experience thing, though I would argue pick/ban rates actually do not fluctuate a lot. Some heroes will always be safe picks by a big part of the community, be either due to its kit (take Pudge, for example) or because of its flair/power levels that can be achieved by high levels of play (think Invoker, Anti-mage, Terrorblade).

I should be more clear, I'm talking about in League of Legends because of the thread, I have no Dota experience.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Great, and you were the only employee so every employee had your exact experience. Also, you would have no reason to be dishonest about this and I should take your word as 100% evidence even though we've never met.

Because you don't have to MAKE the content. Instead of having to design, code, and release a new skin you just tweak some numbers. All the content is already in place this way across the board. I have already addressed this.
"Just tweak the numbers" is about the dumbest thing I've read with regards to balance design in eons. A competitive game with millions of players and the world's biggest esports franchise is gonna "tweak the numbers" to sell some extra cheevos eh?

As I said in my previous reply, it's clear you made up your mind already and aren't receptive to any input.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
"Just tweak the numbers" is about the dumbest thing I've read with regards to balance design in eons. A competitive game with millions of players and the world's biggest esports franchise is gonna "tweak the numbers" to sell some extra cheevos eh?

As I said in my previous reply, it's clear you made up your mind already and aren't receptive to any input.

Except I could 110% see them doing this lol Are we going to pretend Riot is some bastion of sophistication? This is the company where the COO was known for literally farting in his employee's faces right?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I should be more clear, I'm talking about in League of Legends because of the thread, I have no Dota experience.
I know, though I believe one thing translates to another quite comfortably, considering how similar they are. Anyways, my point is that this is nothing new and I don't see this changing their design decisions any more than they already are by the desire to sell other cosmetics.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

You vastly underestimate the amount of work needed to rebalance heroes, or really - how game development works in general.
You're not gonna change the entire balance of your game with millions of daily active users because you want to sell a few extra 7$ packs...

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I know, though I believe one thing translates to another quite comfortably, considering how similar they are. Anyways, my point is that this is nothing new and I don't see this changing their design decisions any more than they already are by the desire to sell other cosmetics.

Wish I could be that optimistic, but I'm just not. I think any way they can increase revenue, they will.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very stupid idea, Riot what are you doing, LoL was one of the games where the monetization was very harmless and now you have Battle Passes and this shit?.

Good thing i never gave a fuck about achievements, lol.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
You vastly underestimate the amount of work needed to rebalance heroes, or really - how game development works in general.
You're not gonna change the entire balance of your game with millions of daily active users because you want to sell a few extra 7$ packs...

It's still by any measure far easier to adjust a champion's strength than design/code a new skin

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's still by any measure far easier to adjust a champion's strength than design/code a new skin

They are two entirely different, incomparable lines of work to be honest.

If you pay to unlock it then how is it an achievement?

You pay for the achievements to be enabled, then you have to unlock them and you get a cosmetic reward.

Technically speaking, by definition of the word, Rhinos count as unicorns, lol.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
They are two entirely different, incomparable lines of work to be honest.

You pay for the achievements to be enabled, then you have to unlock them and you get a cosmetic reward.

Technically speaking, by definition of the word, Rhinos count as unicorns, lol.

Where did I say they were the same? I'm saying, one requires less effort than the other if you are only focused on making certain champions stronger and not the health of your meta.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say they were the same? I'm saying, one requires less effort than the other if you are only focused on making certain champions stronger and not the health of your meta.

They require different kinds of effort, and ideally you tweak balance for the health of the meta, if you're just buffing heroes on a whim, that's not doing a good job with balance and you might as well not be doing anything, in that case yeah it's "easier" but that's also doing a shitty job in the first place.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Actually, not necessarily. I'm not sure what Riot's pipeline is - But I'd imagine they have a lot more artists and developers than designers. And I'm guessing each hero rebalance has to be thoroughly tested etc. And then there's community reaction to think about...
I'd bet it'll be faarrr easier for them to produce a cosmetic skin.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing lol for... mmmm... no idea really considering I've started in season 2. In all these years I've never spent a single €. They can keep doing whatever they want with cosmetics and other ideas that are not mandatory and I don't see any scandal

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
They require different kinds of effort, and ideally you tweak balance for the health of the meta, if you're just buffing heroes on a whim, that's not doing a good job with balance and you might as well not be doing anything, in that case yeah it's "easier" but that's also doing a shitty job in the first place.

That's the whole point of this conversation?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Actually, not necessarily. I'm not sure what Riot's pipeline is - But I'd imagine they have a lot more artists and developers than designers. And I'm guessing each hero rebalance has to be thoroughly tested etc. And then there's community reaction to think about...
I'd bet it'll be faarrr easier for them to produce a cosmetic skin.

I don't understand what is getting lost in the conversation here. We're talking about the hypothetical temptation to throw things like intense balance testing out the window in order to sell more of these packs

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Your direct [albeit anecdotal] experience pales in comparison to baseless guesses and wild accusations!

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I've been playing lol for... mmmm... no idea really considering I've started in season 2. In all these years I've never spent a single €. They can keep doing whatever they want with cosmetics and other ideas that are not mandatory and I don't see any scandal

The thing is, systems like this aren't designed for you. They're made for more susceptible targets; gambling addicts with lootboxes, people who are very affected by "have-have-not" with fancy skins, and in many cases literal children.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what is getting lost in the conversation here. We're talking about the hypothetical temptation to throw things like intense balance testing out the window in order to sell more of these packs

But that doesn't make any sense. Surely you would spend that dev time on the most popular champs at the moment instead of buffing less popular devs to hope people buy that content.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Maybe it's because we realize no one will ever risk ruining a game with millions of DAU that is played on a professional level and is dependent on its balancing to work - by throwing balancing out the window just to sell some achievement thing?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Maybe it's because we realize no one will ever risk ruining a game with millions of DAU that is played on a professional level and is dependent on its balancing to work - by throwing balancing out the window just to sell some achievement thing?

If that's your stance, totally fine. We can agree to disagree without completely misframing each other's arguments.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not for me but cool for people that are.

Not sure why some of you are so upset that this thing exists and you're even calling Nome a liar. Embarrassing.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
But that doesn't make any sense. Surely you would spend that dev time on the most popular champs at the moment instead of buffing less popular devs to hope people buy that content.

Possibly, and that is basically what they already do

My point is it would potentially be far easier because it requires less dev-time to make unpopular champions popular if you're not concerned about overall game health and so there's a temptation there that could potentially negatively impact the game.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Riot usually focuses on making skins for the popular champions, and tweaking mechanically the less popular ones.

It's why Lux has a bajillion skins and virtually unchanged move set since, like the beginning.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is fine.

It's completely optional, and you know exactly what you're getting, and does nothing but enabling 'flex'.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I mean, I don't get the disgust? It's just achievements for bragging rights. How is it different than buying cosmetic shit?

You primarily buy a skin for yourself, as you have to look at it the most, but other people can enjoy the way it looks as well. I'm sure there are people who buy them just to flex, but a different costume can change/enhance the feel of a character. Not only is there already a system in place to show mastery of a champion, this just puts a shell on top of that with the sole purpose of flexing.

To be honest, it's just lame. Like someone mentioned elsewhere, even letting someone with the mastery use a character's base splash as an icon would be better than this.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not the a big fan of microtransactions but thinking about this and aside from the price I think this is... fine? I mean yes such stats should be tracked for everyone for free and then maybe you have to pay to show them off on your loading screen would be a better option in my opinion but I digress. This is just people paying to show off how "cool" they are and has zero impact on the game itself and not even on the aesthetics so if people really want to throw away their money to flex their muscles at others, so be it.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being so invested in fake gamer points that you'd pay for them.
Pretty much. It's probably the same kind of people who bought or rented easy gamerscore/easy achievement games like Avatar The Last Airbender for the Xbox 360 for the sole reason of boosting their gamer points.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so invested in fake gamer points that you'd pay for them.
People have been doing this for years, ever since the dawn of the system. Avatar, Barbie games, etc.

This whole system seems stupid, but harmless. It's not gambling. It's not P2W. It's some dumb icons and a way to flex on people that you spent money. Shrug.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
If that's your stance, totally fine. We can agree to disagree without completely misframing each other's arguments.
I don't think I misframed you argument?
Look, I get mistrusting companies like Riot, but at the end of the day, they thing they care about most is their game's health - They can't create new weird monetization plans without it, now can they? There's no reason to imply people at Riot would knowingly work to make their game worse.

You primarily buy a skin for yourself, as you have to look at it the most, but other people can enjoy the way it looks as well. I'm sure there are people who buy them just to flex, but a different costume can change/enhance the feel of a character. Not only is there already a system in place to show mastery of a champion, this just puts a shell on top of that with the sole purpose of flexing.

To be honest, it's just lame. Like someone mentioned elsewhere, even letting someone with the mastery use a character's base splash as an icon would be better than this.
But they're both equally cosmetic. You can just ignore both without having your game impacted in any way.
As far as monetization schemes go, this one is pretty harmless IMO.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I'm pleased to see a game I sometimes enjoy finding a way to rake in more cash that is this minimally intrusive on everyone else's experience. It's fine.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Do not believe this.

Heya - actual Riot employee here.

Game & system designers, as well as most people in the company, don't even have permissions (let alone have a need) to view this kind of data. If anything, the separation between revenue-generating stuff & core systems stuff (aka balance, champ design, matchmaking, things of that ilk) are kept intentionally separate because of fears of this, but also because it doesn't improve the design/product quality of things they work on.

In my four years here, I think the only thing that's close to "they make balance or game system changes for $" is the idea about not making cosmetics or big system changes for champions that are up for some type of rework in the near future, which is mostly due to how that would feel as a player, than revenue reasons. Even in that scenario, a champ rework team isn't being held accountable to champs or skins sold, because sales != satisfaction. It's also pretty shortsighted shitty business to chase profit over game balance, so even the revenue people don't want them to care about that.

As for Eternals, I don't work on that feature so I can't really speak to the why and how, but can say that the team in charge of it (the publishers, the designers, the bean counters, and leaders) are paying attention to all the feedback players are saying about the system, including threads like this. It might not be the most satisfying answer, but it is the truth, and the teams involved with it are talking about what's being talked about.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I don't think I misframed you argument?
Look, I get mistrusting companies like Riot, but at the end of the day, they thing they care about most is their game's health - They can't create new weird monetization plans without it, now can they? There's no reason to imply people at Riot would actively work to make their game worse.

But they're both equally cosmetic. You can just ignore both without having your game impacted in any way.

You did, in fact you're misframing it even in this comment by saying "actively work to make their game worse", I have never said that. I said there's a temptation to be less concerned about overall balance in favor of champion popularity if the latter is monetized.

Do I think they'd just go? "hmmm how can we make the game worse today?" No, this is just absurdism. I'm just saying, maybe there's a champion who's been at the bottom tier for a long time due to a difficult to balance kit and now they're tempted to give it a huge number buff vs. putting in the work to fix the kit so they can capitalize on some sweet acheivement money.

The original misframing I feel is because my argument is saying it'd be easier to change these numbers than design new skins if you aren't concerned about balance, and you're saying "no it's harder because you have to be concerned about balance". My entire hypothetical is centered around them not being concerned about this. I agree that it SHOULD be harder, because they SHOULD be concerned and testing a lot, I'm just concerned they may NOT if there's financial incentive to ignore these things.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
People have been doing this for years, ever since the dawn of the system. Avatar, Barbie games, etc.

This whole system seems stupid, but harmless. It's not gambling. It's not P2W. It's some dumb icons and a way to flex on people that you spent money. Shrug.
Yeah exactly. Not worth getting worked up over, let alone slinging shit at Riot.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Heya - actual Riot employee here.

Game & system designers, as well as most people in the company, don't even have permissions (let alone have a need) to view this kind of data. If anything, the separation between revenue-generating stuff & core systems stuff (aka balance, champ design, matchmaking, things of that ilk) are kept intentionally separate because of fears of this, but also because it doesn't improve the design/product quality of things they work on.

In my four years here, I think the only thing that's close to "they make balance or game system changes for $" is the idea about not making cosmetics or big system changes for champions that are up for some type of rework in the near future, which is mostly due to how that would feel as a player, than revenue reasons. Even in that scenario, a champ rework team isn't being held accountable to champs or skins sold, because sales != satisfaction. It's also pretty shortsighted shitty business to chase profit over game balance, so even the revenue people don't want them to care about that.

As for Eternals, I don't work on that feature so I can't really speak to the why and how, but can say that the team in charge of it (the publishers, the designers, the bean counters, and leaders) are paying attention to all the feedback players are saying about the system, including threads like this. It might not be the most satisfying answer, but it is the truth, and the teams involved with it are talking about what's being talked about.

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, but I can't imagine this will sway anyone's opinion about it. Say I believed this introduction was 100% nefarious, would I just expect you to go into threads and admit it?

I agree it would be short-sighted to sacrifice satisfaction for sales, that's why I'm concerned in the first place.