• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to experience an MMO with the LoL community.

81dab0437c5b5b7c9663439ce62d59ae.gif

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Cool. Number 1 lesson to learn from WoW? Do not have gold/currency in the way we currently know it. I want a path of exile esque barter system in an mmo, damnit!

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
cool to see some competition in MMO's. Not sure how much I'd play it, not really much into LoL character lore and how they'd all fit together in the same universe. Always used to think they were all in their own universe brought together by unseen forces.

Hopefully it ends up successful

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care that much if WoW brings in more revenue or has more subscribers, FFXIV is an almost objectively better game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care that much if WoW brings in more revenue or has more subscribers, FFXIV is an almost objectively better game.
idk, I think FF14 is certainly better at this point and it's what I play, but I think it's pretty ridiculous to not see how wow does ALMOST everything better from a usability/UX point of view. FF basically has a better story and a better community, and doesn't make you play 24-7 to compete at a high level. That's the main difference, and it's enough for me, but wow still has better snappier controls/combat, and infinitely more user friendly interface and systems.

...I didn't consider this
Eh, it's about the same as the wow community these days.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I care about league of legends at all, but as an MMO fan this is pretty exciting. Always interested in what a new player can bring to the genre.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
An LoL MMO would have made me roll my eyes until I started playing the League card game Legends of Runeterra.

Honestly, that card game has made the League lore seem like it could be so cool. I'd like nothing more than to check out an MMO in that world now.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'll play whatever Ghostcrawler is cooking up. The guy's been at Riot for years now. Wonder what he had been doing the whole time as this looks like they're just getting started.
For a bunch of years he was head of uh, balance and design or something like that for League? Like he made the over-arching design decisions as to what kind of state the game should be balanced around and how it would be played.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Where are you getting your numbers from?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you go by Twitch numbers, its:

1. WoW (150K viewers)
2. Tibia (7K viewers)
3. FF XIV (6K viewers)
4. Runescape (4.5K viewers)
5. Black Desert Online (4K viewers)
6. ESO (4K viewers)

Guild Wars 2 has less than 1000 viewers and SWTOR has like 200 or something. They aren't even in the top 10. Now, maybe like you say, they don't have any personalities that people are interested in that play the games and these games are actually as huge as you think, but I'm just wondering what you're basing your Top 5 on.

I don't really think Twitch viewership is representative of playerbase. Going off of total covenant numbers, WoW could have almost 3.5 million players right now. That is, of course, assuming that it is not counting alts (more than likely the number is closer to 3 mil or under). Afaik, FFXIV has had more less equal players to WoW, although SL has probably boosted it. Who knows how long people will stay subscribed, but FF does have a new xpac being coming next year so the playerbase will jump up again. I agree that WoW probably has the most players atm, but its not miles more like your Twitch data extrapolation implies.

Edit: more on topic, I would definitely check out a league mmo. The game itself is toxic as hell but the characters, art style, and world definitely are interesting enough to warrant giving it a shot. I think a lot of the issues with all those failed "WoW killers" years ago was that they tried to reinvent the wheel. Make a good game with good longevity and combat and people will play it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ghostcrawler is the worst thing to happen to MMO's, so many of his bad design decisions became staples in the genre & some he has admitted were fuck up's, i wish him well on this new venture, but i don't think he ever understood what people liked about WoW originally.

In story & music, maybe visuals, but certainly not raid/dungeon/pvp or class design. If you really think FFXIV has anything to compete with the likes of say Ulduar, you probably haven't played WoW much.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In story & music, maybe visuals, but certainly not raid/dungeon/pvp or class design. If you really think FFXIV has anything to compete with the likes of say Ulduar, you probably haven't played WoW much.
I've played plenty, thanks. I disagree (save maybe PvP, but I like the offbeat stuff FFXIV does there, too).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I've played plenty, thanks. I disagree (save maybe PvP, but I like the offbeat stuff FFXIV does there, too).
I really don't know how anyone can think XIV's circular room "raids" are better than some of WoW's raids, then again, people think COD has good level design, so whatever really.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't play WoW or any MMO's, butt it has been proven time and time again that trying to compete with WoW is a fool's errand. This will come out, be huge, and then WoW will release another expansion a month later and no one will ever touch the Riot MMO ever again. We have years and years of historical data to help back this up. It could be "huge" like Final Fantasy XIV , but that's not a game that is remotely "strong competition" for WoW. (For reference right now there are 6K people watching FF XIV on Twithc, and 163K people watching WoW.) That's not an exact metric of a games success, but you can assume there are at any given time some proportional amount of people streaming those games to playing them.

The thing it has going for it is that it's in an established universe with a huge fan base, but that hasn't really worked wonders for MMO's the Star Wars, Star Trek, Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc etc universes, and I don't think League is quite in the same...league, as most of those franchises.

Still, it's great that Riot has that kind of money to throw away on an MMO. It show's that League is never going away. In a way League is their World of Warcraft. The one game in the genre that seems like it will always and forever be dominant.
That comparison doesn't work that well. You can't just take an Ip and hope the fanbase follows especially when they come from completely different mediums. League's and Warcraft's fanbases were both born out of gaming so the communities would already be intertwined.

Riot has a good shot at creating something big here.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Never liked any MMO (I tried them all), but am sure whatever they are going to do, it gonna be at least worth looking into.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to experience an MMO with the LoL community.

81dab0437c5b5b7c9663439ce62d59ae.gif
Haha I've never understood why people think the LoL community is somehow worse than any other community.
LoL is a competitive team-based game, and like in every competitive team-based game, some people can't handle losing, especially when it may not entirely be their fault. So they trash-talk their team-mates.

Honestly wasn't any better while playing Dota2, same goes for CS GO. The nature of these games bring the worst out of stupid people. And LoL being as successful as it is...

An MMO is way more chill and I expect that it should not be a concern, not more than in any other MMO.
And I'd be totally down for a League MMO, they have a pretty cool universe.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Is this the time I finally play an MMO, approaching my mid 30s šŸ¤²

Also need to hear more on their aRPG/Dungeon Crawler thing (Project A?).

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how anyone can think XIV's circular room "raids" are better than some of WoW's raids, then again, people think COD has good level design, so whatever really.
Savage/ultimate raid mechanics in FFXIV almost always exceed Mythic in terms of pure complexity, at least from when I played. Any mistakes are punished harshly and you have to perform either extremely well or absolutely flawlessly to win.

WoW's fights are often larger, and lend themselves more to improvising, but that sort of visual chaos doesn't do it for me. I prefer a smaller group and more personal accountability and effect. Plus, the visuals and music design in FFXIV encounters absolutely blow WoW out of the water, and yeah, that matters to me. The Patch 5.3 MSQ Extreme fight was one of the best fights in any game, ever.

But whatever. You like what you like, I guess. But for me, it's not even a contest. Shadowbringers by itself is the single best Final Fantasy narrative of all time.

Last edited:

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Where are you getting your numbers from?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you go by Twitch numbers, its:

1. WoW (150K viewers)
2. Tibia (7K viewers)
3. FF XIV (6K viewers)
4. Runescape (4.5K viewers)
5. Black Desert Online (4K viewers)
6. ESO (4K viewers)

Guild Wars 2 has less than 1000 viewers and SWTOR has like 200 or something. They aren't even in the top 10. Now, maybe like you say, they don't have any personalities that people are interested in that play the games and these games are actually as huge as you think, but I'm just wondering what you're basing your Top 5 on.
Why would you bsse your "top" games on twitch viewership?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Savage/ultimate raid mechanics in FFXIV almost always exceed Mythic in terms of pure complexity, at least from when I played. Any mistakes are punished harshly and you have to perform either extremely well or absolutely flawlessly to win.

WoW's fights are often larger, and lend themselves more to improvising, but that sort of visual chaos doesn't do it for me. I prefer a smaller group and more personal accountability and effect. Plus, the visuals and music design in FFXIV encounters absolutely blow WoW out of the water, and yeah, that matters to me. The Patch 5.3 MSQ Extreme fight was one of the best fights in any game, ever.

But whatever. You like what you like, I guess. But for me, it's not even a contest. Shadowbringers by itself is the single best Final Fantasy narrative of all time.
You really think Mythic on WoW isn't punishing? losing one DPS tends to be mostly a wipe.
I'm not talking about difficulty anyway, FFXIV raids feel like Onyxia in terms of design, i found it incredibly boring, you could excuse it when PS3 was the lead platform, but now with PS4 it feels lackluster.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
oh fuck ghostcrawler is on it? Riot is Blizzard now haha
Riot also picked up Paul Sage a while ago, one of the two lead devs on ESO. I thought that was a weird move for him at the time, but it makes a lot of sense now.

EDIT: Whoops, not Paul Sage, he went to Gearbox. Nick Konkle went from ESO to Riot (he was lead gameplay designer).

Last edited:

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Riot went rogue. This and their fighting game can change a lot in their genres.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Always keen to see new entries to the MMO space but even if this looks / is incredible as others have pointed out to hell with playing a MMO with that fan base.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Riot went rogue. This and their fighting game can change a lot in their genres.

Eh...

I'm not sure if Riot's MMO will change the genre, per se. MMO's have historically been all over the place when it comes to both monetization and gameplay mechanics. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll surprise me, but I don't fundamentally think there's anything "mindblowing" you can do in an MMO that hasn't been done before - you can just do those things better.

Fighting games on the other hand...the genre is legitimately so attached to Japanese developers & publishers that until an actual pandemic hit were slow as molasses to do anything innovative and absolutely refused to progress the genre, that if Riot comes in with GGPO+ (which they will, coz they have the GGPO founders), free game (all of Riot's main games will be f2p), and being able to earn characters easily by playing without needing to pay (something no other AAA fighting game has done, SF5 has an obnoxious character grind), with instead a focus on purely cosmetics & battle passes to make money they will instantly blow open the market if the game is at all successful - because unlike MMOs with their varied long history, fighting games are a historically stagnant genre in comparison. This is essentially the bare minimum that every other prominent genre has embraced for awhile now, and it will be downright innovative for the FGC because the fighting game genre is that behind.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Here's hoping for a proper shared world MMO and not an instanced 'MMO' like destiny or Warframe.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
You really think Mythic on WoW isn't punishing? losing one DPS tends to be mostly a wipe.
I'm not talking about difficulty anyway, FFXIV raids feel like Onyxia in terms of design, i found it incredibly boring, you could excuse it when PS3 was the lead platform, but now with PS4 it feels lackluster.

You are responding to something that nobody said.

I prefer the story, music, visuals, raid, and class design in FFXIV. I think WoW has better dungeons and PvP. I do think your dismissive attitude towards one game over the other doesn't really do anything to benefit discussion.

Class design in FFXIV absolutely blows WoW out of the water in my opinion. I really prefer the relative depth of FFXIV classes over what WoW has to offer (at the expense of flexibility).

But hey, to each his/her own. Just my .02

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully it does something different than the WoW model in terms of game structure. Use that LoL money to really push what is possible in design.

The dream MMO is something that has an AI Director giving quests based on player actions. No need to release expansions. The quests are never-ending and natural.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd switch from XIV to this. I've always liked the league characters but never really wanted to dive into the Moba in a real way.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You are responding to something that nobody said.

I prefer the story, music, visuals, raid, and class design in FFXIV. I think WoW has better dungeons and PvP. I do think your dismissive attitude towards one game over the other doesn't really do anything to benefit discussion.

Class design in FFXIV absolutely blows WoW out of the water in my opinion. I really prefer the relative depth of FFXIV classes over what WoW has to offer (at the expense of flexibility).

But hey, to each his/her own. Just my .02
No one is addressing my point about raid design, which was the original point, it's no use to argue about MMO's anyway, people will dedicate a lot of time into one & refuse to admit it's faults. i think Runescape does a lot of things better than WoW, but good luck bringing that up in my WoW guild.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Runeterra has wonderful world, I've always said the worst part of league of legends is the game it's attached too because I think the universe is alot of fun. I'm really excited

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Can attest.

But really:I can see word of mouth sinking this game on launch, in a way, given that everyone pretty much already decides that an MMO is either "dead on arrival" or "sucks" except for the main ones like TESO or Final Fantasy XIV. It just seems that even though MMOs still have life in them, nobody on ResetEra, from what I've seen, wants to give them a chance. I would argue that MMOs are better than they have been before even with the nostalgia. And I get the nostalgia. But I think that playing at least one MMO on the side with your other games is a really neat set-up, imho.

Also, shameless plug-in for thread about how much ResetEra likes MMOs.

F2P MMO would be cool, or at the least just paid expansions like ESO. Not monthly subscriptions hopefully
I like that all you have to do with Project: Gorgon is to pay once and that's it.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Eh...

I'm not sure if Riot's MMO will change the genre, per se. MMO's have historically been all over the place when it comes to both monetization and gameplay mechanics. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll surprise me, but I don't fundamentally think there's anything "mindblowing" you can do in an MMO that hasn't been done before - you can just do those things better.

Fighting games on the other hand...the genre is legitimately so attached to Japanese developers & publishers that until an actual pandemic hit were slow as molasses to do anything innovative and absolutely refused to progress the genre, that if Riot comes in with GGPO+ (which they will, coz they have the GGPO founders), free game (all of Riot's main games will be f2p), and being able to earn characters easily by playing without needing to pay (something no other AAA fighting game has done, SF5 has an obnoxious character grind), with instead a focus on purely cosmetics & battle passes to make money they will instantly blow open the market if the game is at all successful - because unlike MMOs with their varied long history, fighting games are a historically stagnant genre in comparison. This is essentially the bare minimum that every other prominent genre has embraced for awhile now, and it will be downright innovative for the FGC because the fighting game genre is that behind.
You are absolutely correct, specifically about fighting games. The biggest potential is there.

I have not been exciting about an MMO since the L2 days. NCSoft haven't done much in recent years, that's why I hope Riot fill their shoes.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
What really gets me thinking is that I don't have the slightest clue what type of mmo it will be.

With a game like LoL ... I could see a real time action game being the way. Something like Tera or BnS could work. Hell, GW2 battle and horizonal progression would be great though it lacks an aggro system/ holy trinity.

BUT the biggest MMOs out right now are FF14 and Wow, period. They're that big for a reason and IDK about WoW but FF14 is VERY restrictive with it's battle and gear progression.

So .... I could see them just trying to make "Wow, but better!"

Regardless I hope they're doing this to really DIG into the lore and have good stories like FF14 does.