• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 17, 2018
So, this is interesting. Obviously, there have been rumours for years about Riot creating an MMORPG, but last month, Ghostcrawler basically confirmed on Twitter that they were working on an MMORPG. Today, they put up a recruitment page for their MMORPG.

What are you guys hoping comes of the game? I personally want a good balance and mix of meaningful PvP and PvE content. I really *really* don't want the game to just be a Themepark PvE game where 90% of the content post-levelling is instanced based. I want that open-world feeling, and to actually feel like participating in PvP means something, not just some dumb cosmetic or gear reward, but some sort of impact on the world itself. I also massively prefer realistic graphics compared to stylised, but with Riot, I can't see them doing anything other than their typical "cartoony" art style.

www.riotgames.com

MMO Recruiting

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting it to be more PvP based than PvE due to their LoL audience.

I have no interest in PvP based stuff, so I'd like to see something that really pushes PvE and CoOp forward. No clue what this is, because if I did I'd be pitching it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I also significantly prefer stylization (love my huge WoW shoulders!) over realism, so please stick to what you're good at Riot.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Riot is in a very unique situation here.

You see, WoW was built off an already existing franchise with an already existing plot. However, their determination to tell a proper story through WoW has always been pretty weak, probably because they want to leave room for a WarCraft 4.

However, League of Legends is mainly a vehicle for characters in their own sep story from the game, ditto for LoR.

So, essentially, Riot could make a LoL MMO....the actual story.

To that end, things I'm expecting:

* F2P
* League art style
* Easy to run.
* Cosmetics & Battle Passes.
* Heavy PvE story focus, akin to Final Fantasy XIV.
* Some form of large scale PvP.
* Action combat style, not tab targeted.
* One of the best banking/crafting implementations since they took Lindsey Murdock from ArenaNet.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Super curious to see what they bring to the table. I have high hopes.

They said they don't want to do just another theme park style thing, but no idea where they'll go.

Sep 7, 2020
I am intrigued by the different projects that RIOT is committing their LOL IP towards. I think they still have the MMO, Fighting game, Anime/TV series, and action game still coming. RIOT is booming lol.
edit: sorry of the double post, did not intend for that to happen.

OP
OP
Reformed Individual
Oct 17, 2018
I do have a few worries already tbh.

I don't trust Ghostcrawler. I don't see him making anything other than a Themepark PvE game that completely neglects PvP and is just a game where everything is instanced. Riot are one of the biggest game companies in the world right now, and they have the resources needed to breathe new life into the MMORPG genre, but I really just can't see them doing anything but going for a completely generic MMROPG.

Hopefully, I'll get proven wrong. MMORPGs are my favourite genre and I hope a new MMORPG can come along and make me feel like ArcheAge did during its Alpha/Beta/Launch.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I want a themepark MMO with Tank/Healet/DPS design or I am not interested tbh.

All other kind of MMOs cannot keep me interested.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
High expectations, since the last games they released are pretty great. Wildrift is such an amazing mobile moba, tft is a better autochess and runeterra is worthy hearthstone competitor.

Not to forget Valorant which is basically CS:GO meets Overwatch but super competitive

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this one will be their multiplayer PVE focused game since verything else they have is pretty much PvP and with Ghostcrawler there I trust it can be that. Good cooperative dungeons and raids are what I want, I wouldn't care if they completely brushed aside PvP for this game.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Riot is doing a bunch these days. Wild Rift, Valorant, the fighter, Ruined King, this. It's interesting to see. Tencent probably upped their funding.

Never played league (or any other traditional MOBA for that matter) but a lot of my friends love it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man, LoL's universe is such a mix match of different stuff, that I have a tough time seeing this work via an explorable universe like an MMORPG, but I am curious to see where this will go.