• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will check this out.

Riot fired on all cylinders yesterday. Every game they announced I'm interested in

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Given that this is coming from Riot, I was expecting pretty much just a straight up Hearthstone clone, but it's nice to see this seems to have at least some interesting ideas of its own. Hopefully it does better than Artifact did.

I just hope the free-to-play monetization actually turns out to be good, since LoL is pretty stingy compared to its competitors.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I follow artist Marko Djurdevic and he just posted an art dump, talking about how his company SIXMOREVODKA has been working on this game since 2014. Good for them. Was wondering why they were so quiet for so long.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I used to casually play MtG and always wanted to get more into Hearthstone. This is perfect for me and probably what I'm most interested in out of Riot out of these announcements.

I got up to Plat in TFT but kind of lost the meta after sitting out a few weeks and have also lost interest now.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I'm not a huge card games guy, but I'll give it a shot since Riot is doing it I've been playing League since forever.

...god, I feel like such a shill for saying that.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The ability to just buy cards outright is great, but that's sort of what led to Artifact dying, right?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The ability to just buy cards outright is great, but that's sort of what led to Artifact dying, right?
Being $20 to start was the main killer because nobody really wanted to try it over Hearthstone/others. This game being free to start and probably having a decent way for F2P players to construct at least 1 good deck would put it leagues above Artifact.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
For those worried about someone jumping in and buying all the craziest decks right away; While you can purchase Wildcards (which can be exchanged for whatever card you want), there is a weekly limit to how many you can buy per week. This cap should heavily cut down on Pay-To-Win being an issue, leaving much of your collecting happening through just playing the game to get free drops (which also often contain wildcards!)

That aside, the hope is that even with fewer cards, decision making skills can often beat out seemingly crazy decks; One of the the goals was to prevent stale metas that had any few decks dominating the scene. Basically not just what you play, but how you play it. We will see how this works out initially though, since it's been less than a day since our preview began!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
For those worried about someone jumping in and buying all the craziest decks right away; While you can purchase Wildcards (which can be exchanged for whatever card you want), there is a weekly limit to how many you can buy per week. This cap should heavily cut down on Pay-To-Win being an issue, leaving much of your collecting happening through just playing the game to get free drops (which also often contain wildcards!)

That aside, the hope is that even with fewer cards, decision making skills can often beat out seemingly crazy decks; One of the the goals was to prevent stale metas that had any few decks dominating the scene. Basically not just what you play, but how you play it. We will see how this works out initially though, since it's been less than a day since our preview began!

I appreciate that you guys try to tackle this "issue", but I take it as something inherent to TCGs.

Got my twitch drop, time to try what you guys are doing. I don't think I'll keep playing it because of whats discussed in your post and I have a personal aversion to that, but I promise I'll be fair if I post something about the game.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, put in my Beta request and fingers crossed. I'm a CCG nut and I can't wait to try this. Hearthstone was a P2W disappointment and Gwent is currently scratching my itch. Hopefully this one will deliver a nice CCG experience, a good community, and continuous support from Riot.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is looking like my favorite bits of MTG, HS, and YGO smashed together, sprinkled with the unique level up and mana floating mechanic. I don't really care about the IP, but it seems mechanically sound and rich. The monetization model is what's gonna pull me in though.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017

what's the current limit slated to be?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Riot has a launcher? Where all these games will be?

I'm a sucker for TCG's so I'll try this.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I presume that they'll modify the existing League of Legends launcher to accommodate multiple games.

They've been rolling users into their new game launcher for a while, it has spaces for other games and was a hint to people they'd be announcing new games at some point. I assume this would be part of that after everyone is rolled into using it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I appreciate that you guys try to tackle this "issue", but I take it as something inherent to TCGs.

Got my twitch drop, time to try what you guys are doing. I don't think I'll keep playing it because of whats discussed in your post and I have a personal aversion to that, but I promise I'll be fair if I post something about the game.

How did you get a key? I linked my Twitch account and my Riot account and watched the event last night.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited to play this. Love TCGs and League.

Really hope to get a beta key, couldn't really watch the stream last night since it began in the middle of the night here.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Just wondering how you were notified that you got the key?

Like this:

C7z4CCO.png

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Seems solid so far. Does anyone know if there will be any sort of wipe after this beta? Seems like they are handing out quite a lot of these wildcards for the testing period so I kinda got suspicious.

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to connect my Riot account with my Twitch account to try and snag a stream drop, but every time I attempt to connect them I get a "Bad Request" error. Anyone know what's causing this or how to resolve the issue?

Edit: Nvm it seems it was a Chrome issue, because I was able to get it working on a different browser.

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
Seems solid so far. Does anyone know if there will be any sort of wipe after this beta? Seems like they are handing out quite a lot of these wildcards for the testing period so I kinda got suspicious.

Well they are allowing real money purchases already, so it would be pretty shady to wipe progress in light of that.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA