• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what a company interested in changing their horrifically sexist and misogynistic corporate culture would do, try to stop workers from suing and forcing them into binding arbitration, which almost 100% rules in favor of the company!

Kotaku: Riot Files Motions to Block Current Employees from Taking Legal Action

Months after five current and former employees filed lawsuits last fall and earlier this year alleging gender discrimination against League of Legends publisher Riot Games, Riot yesterday made motions to force two of those women into private arbitration, which would prevent them from taking legal action. Riot's argument is simple: Those women waived their rights to sue the company when they were hired.

These lawsuits, and Riot's latest legal move, follow a Kotaku investigation last August that detailed endemic sexism at the company, including in its hiring and promotion practices. In the months following our story, current and former Riot employees filed four different lawsuits, many alleging that the company violated the California Equal Pay Act. Also following our story, Riot has vowed to hold itself accountable and enact widespread cultural changes.

When asked for comment, a Riot spokesperson sent over an e-mailed statement: "While we won't discuss details about ongoing litigation, we look forward to resolving all matters through the appropriate processes.

"Our commitment to building and sustaining a world class, inclusive culture at Riot is unchanged and we value everyone who has come forward to help us become a better company. We have acknowledged that there are improvements we can make to our culture and community — we have made progress and are hyper-focused on continuing to do so. We have been evaluating all of our procedures and policies, including those related to arbitration. All of that work is well underway, and as we move forward, we will not hesitate to implement changes once we have thoughtfully assessed that these changes move us is the right direction for Riot and Rioters."

I threw up in my mouth a little after reading that last paragraph.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea, this is why lawyers for companies this size are paid as much as they are. They don't operate by any moral imperative other than getting the best possible legal result for their client. Justice be damned.

I hope this means the other 3 women can file their suits. Really unfortunate for the other 2 if this is the end of the road for them. I hope they have sufficiently good lawyers, but it's hard to imagine them going toe to toe with whatever level of talent a billion-dollar company can hire.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Binding arbitration clause, eh? Yup, that's how it goes with most corporate contracts in the States these days.

I really don't know how those are legal.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US barely cares about worker rights at all.

As for Riot and other companies who add binding arbitration clauses to contracts. Maybe just not treat your employees like shit.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I wasn't interested in playing Riot's games, but now I'm just repulsed by the idea of playing them.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While so many companies are trying to be decent, and kind to their employees it's nice to know Riot is looking out for the other direction.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
We're quickly reaching a point where violence will be the only solution to workers rights problems huh.
I don't think we're not that close. Maybe the gen after ours things get too bad but if not then gen after is gonna guillotine CEOs 100%

Before anyone flips their lid, I'm not advocating for violence on Era, I'm stating an inevitable thing that's gonna happen.

Nov 23, 2017
I might be wrong, but California where riot is located has a different labor law with regards to this. Riot may not be able to proceed.

But also fuck them. I'd never sign a contract like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Months after five current and former employees filed lawsuits last fall and earlier this year alleging gender discrimination against League of Legends publisher Riot Games, Riot yesterday made motions to force two of those women into private arbitration, which would prevent them from taking legal action. Riot's argument is simple: Those women waived their rights to sue the company when they were hired.
Excuse me?

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Private arbitration is an extra-legal means of resolving disputes between parties. Many (most?) companies now include arbitration clauses in employment contracts, by which the employee and employer agree to resolve their legal disputes in an arbitration proceeding. The Riot employees filed a civil lawsuit against Riot and Riot is seeking to dismiss the lawsuit on the grounds that the employees agreed to arbitration.

For what it's worth, I think forced arbitration is terrible and should be outlawed. I hope these employees counsel can still find a way to bring the lawsuit, or Riot does the right thing and waive's the arbitration agreement to let it proceed.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Private arbitration is an extra-legal means of resolving disputes between parties. Many (most?) companies now include arbitration clauses in employment contracts, by which the employee and employer agree to resolve their legal disputes in an arbitration proceeding. The Riot employees filed a civil lawsuit against Riot and Riot is seeking to dismiss the lawsuit on the grounds that the employees agreed to arbitration.

For what it's worth, I think forced arbitration is terrible and should be outlawed. I hope these employees counsel can still find a way to bring the lawsuit, or Riot does the right thing and waive's the arbitration agreement to let it proceed.
lol Riot would never waive that if it's in the employee's original contract

why in the world would Riot waive it?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's just disgusting. Hopefully employees take some collective action and stand for their rights.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
lol Riot would never waive that if it's in the employee's original contract

why in the world would Riot waive it?

Public pressure potentially. There has been a lot of recent backlash around force arbitration clauses among big tech companies and some of them (ie Google) are moving to remove them, at least in certain cases. Realistically? I bet Riot settles these lawsuits as soon as it can and moves on.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Uhh, nefarious ends aside, arbitration clauses also serve to substantially decrease otherwise massive legal transaction costs and expedite resolution. Those are bigger problems than some may realize and not just for the big, scary corporations.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, nefarious ends aside, arbitration clauses also serve to substantially decrease otherwise massive legal transaction costs and expedite resolution. Those are bigger problems than some may realize and not just for the big, scary corporations.
they exist to favor big companies, no other reason. arbitrators almost always decide in favor of corporations.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Found this zinger on the comments of Kotaku's article:
"Riot is very committed to cleaning up its culture as long as it faces zero consequences, zero scrutiny, and doesn't have to fire anyone of any real significance."

Precisely:

League of Legends dev agrees to scrap mandatory arbitration, but only once current lawsuits are over
And initially only for new staff.

In response to threats of staff walkouts, League of Legends developer Riot Games has made 13 specific commitments to improving its much-maligned studio culture, all rolling out within the next 90 days. It has also promised to scrap its mandatory arbitration clause in new employee contracts.
Given that the studio will still attempt to prevent current gender discrimination lawsuits from progressing, and given that its new policy will not currently apply to existing employees (if at all), it's questionable whether many will consider this latest response adequate - as Riot is well aware. Its lengthy post continues, "We know that this resolution will not satisfy all Rioters. We understand and respect Rioters who choose to protest this decision on Monday, and admire their conviction and willingness to stand up for their beliefs."

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I went through their interview loop a few years ago, but it ultimately didn't work out.

Seeing this now, that was probably for the best.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went through their interview loop a few years ago, but it ultimately didn't work out.

Seeing this now, that was probably for the best.

I had a buddy with a similar story. They basically told him they made a verbal offer, then decided to put the position on hold while he was waiting on the paperwork. He was devistated because it was a really good job with an insane salary. I usually send him this kind of stuff because while it sucked at the time he really dodged a bullet.