• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
On Friday, Riot Games said that League of Legends broadcasters should "refrain" from discussing "sensitive topics" on the air, following a controversial move from Blizzard to ban a Hearthstone player who voiced support for the Hong Kong protesters over the weekend.

"As a general rule, we want to keep our broadcasts focused on the game, the sport, and the players," John Needham, the global head of League of Legends e-sports said in a statement. "We serve fans from many different countries and cultures, and we believe this opportunity comes with a responsibility to keep personal views on sensitives issues (political, religious, or otherwise) separate."

As of 2015, Riot Games is entirely owned by the Chinese holding company, Tencent.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
well i wonder if it's because tencent owns riot
maybe
just speculation
just a theory
just a possiblity
i'm saying there's a chance it's because of that
but who knows

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend it, but I'm pretty sure that if you went with a Impeach Trump or a MAGA sign they would remove them anyway.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
You don't need to be owned by Tencent. Any company putting on such major tries to avoid controversy, as as any sports organization (for example, football players not being allowed to have any messages underneath their jersesy when they celebrate a goal).

So before you jump on to any conspiracy conclusions- remember that this is very common, even without anything Chinese involved (hello, NFL).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I love how folks talk about bringing folks together, but won't talk about what keeping them apart

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to be owned by Tencent. Any company putting on such major tries to avoid controversy, as as any sports organization (for example, football players not being allowed to have any messages underneath their jersesy when they celebrate a goal).

So before you jump on to any conspiracy conclusions- remember that this is very common, even without anything Chinese involved (hello, NFL).
Tag checks out.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much this.

Gale Moran

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I have no problem with this. There is a time and place for political discussions, an esports tournament is not it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Hong Kong Attitude is playing this weekend.

Let's see if anyone actually says the team's full name instead of just saying "HKA".

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Does this affect just casual twitch streaming? There's a great series of Cities Skylines videos that explain various leftwing social concerns. Is the idea here that the game company could revoke your license if they don't like your commentary? I can get it for like paid broadcasters, but it seems insane for twitch streamers, even if they're saying some bonkers shit. It should be up to Twitch to decide their terms of appropriate conduct:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeirDrinWk

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck esports.

I love the independence of the fgc, but the modern tour system... I'd say the similar outcomes could be possible.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am being hypothetical cause I don't want to derail the topic, but here is one example for you, if you can't be bothered to google:

People do not realize until now that this has been the case for years. It only is just not becoming a hot button issue because of Blizzard's punishment.

To me, this is not news. As you pointed out, plenty of companies who put on these events do not want their players / casters derailing their broadcasts to focus on a political issue.

Does that make it right?

Nope. But it's not new, and isn't some Chinese conspiracy.

Weird take, but ok.

GameSpirit

Oct 30, 2017
What did people expect? Expected them to say "Screw the tournament. Let's talk about politics and sensitive topics in front of millions of viewers like it's what it's supposed to be."???

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I really, really hope someone or some team will ignore this and raise some awareness about the situation of the Uyghurs and Hong Kong. Or at least call China out. We need more people speaking up about this and not let themselves be intimidated by China's influence/economical standing.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
To me, this is not news. As you pointed out, plenty of companies who put on these events do not want their players / casters derailing their broadcasts to focus on a political issue.

Does that make it right?

Nope. But it's not new, and isn't some Chinese conspiracy.

Exactly. Esports mimicks real sports yet again, if you think about the ban on anything lgtb during olympics in Russia, NFL cracking down on kneeling during the anthem etc.

Controversy is bad for business, and that is after all what matters to shareholders. Though I am to be honest surprised to see how many people across the internet only seem to notice this now, I had thought that was pretty obvious.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I hope one of the participants is as brave as Blitzchung so we can see how Riot handles it and force them to make a real choice.

I don't begrudge anyone if they don't do anything though. It is a tough choice and they'd also need to stand with their team unlike Blitzchung who was in an individual esport.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Until the "sensitive topic" can be levied for profit. They are a Chinese company so this is expected. Riot is garbage on a whole bunch of levels so this is par for the course. It is important that these companies are being forced to declare where they stand instead of just skirting the issue as a kind of soft censorship.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Of course organizers want to avoid sensitive topics for their event,
nothing really unusual. Its a problem when someone does decide to say something political and gets a needlessly harsh punishment for it like in the Heartstone situation where its obvious that the company doesn't simply want to avoid sensitive topics but is appeasing China

Riot won't be able to surpress Twitch chat though without constant banning

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is capitalism for ya! I mean, I actually understand why they do it, the game is inherently at odds with morality.