• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Newt

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the old VO.

Here's the updated VO.

Keep in mind, Riot generally rehires their old VAs.

So I have mixed thoughts about this. In some ways it's good that Riot refused to hire an actor with so many allegations of sexual harassment, but on the other hand Riot definitely does not have a clean record either.

Here Kotaku covered the toxic culture perpetuated from Riot.

Here's an snippet:

"Among the people we spoke to, three women described being groomed for promotions, and doing jobs above their title and pay grade, until men were suddenly brought in to replace them. Both male and female sources have described seeing unsolicited and unwelcome pictures of male genitalia from bosses or colleagues. One woman saw an e-mail thread about what it would be like to "penetrate her," in which a colleague added that she'd be a good target to sleep with and not call again. Another said a colleague once informed her, apparently as a compliment, that she was on a list getting passed around by senior leaders detailing who they'd sleep with. Two former employees said they felt pressure to leave after making their concerns about gender discrimination known. One former male employee said that Riot's "bro culture" is more pronounced behind closed doors, and hurts men too: One of Riot's male senior leaders regularly grabbed his genitals, the source said, adding, "If he walked into a meeting with no women he'd just fart on someone's face."

And earlier this year, a company walkout took place with over 150 employees.

Seemingly, Riot has yet to address these concerns brought by the employees. So what are your thoughts? I think it's good Riot held their voice actors to a higher regard, but I think that they need apply those standards to their management as well.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I fail to see what Riot not having a very good track record has to do with them refusing to rehire a sex pest. Good on them for not bringing this dude back. Yes, they can apply those standards to their own management but I don't know if the two correspond in any meaningful way. Especially because the team that would have re-hired Vic may not have any of these allegations levied against them.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Like/dislike ratio are about as expected.

As for the new VA, he gives me Hanzo vibes lol. I like it! And besides, it's better than having Vic there.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Good. I'm sure Atlus USA's gonna go for another VA as well when the inevitable Persona 3 Remake comes out.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
Riot made the right call.

P.S. Vic Mignogna is also no longer voicing E-123 Omega as of Team Sonic Racing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is good that they dumped someone shady, but as the TC already stated they aren't much better as a company. Riot is pretty high up on my trash companies list. I would like to believe that they will improve, and this is evidence of that happening but I sorta doubt it...

Oct 25, 2017
So I have mixed thoughts about this. In some ways it's good that Riot refused to hire an actor with so many allegations of sexual harassment, but on the other hand Riot definitely does not have a clean record either.
What does any of that have to do with them not rehiring Vic Mignogna. Like alright, they're not rehiring the dude, that's good. And we continue on with calling them out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a weird stretch for you to tie one to the other. Riot needs to get their shit together, culturally, but it's good they dumped Vic either way. It's not an all or nothing scenario.
I don't consider it an all or nothing scenario, obviously Vic shouldn't be hired. I just think it's really hypocritical for them to have upper management accused of sexual harassment, and then make moves like this.

Maestrodamus

Banned
Aug 29, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Sexual Harassment; Conspiratorial Rhetoric; Account Still in Junior Phase
Innocent until proven guilty. The more you look into the Vic situation, the more it looks like this dude was betrayed by his colleagues and thrown under the bus so others could enjoy career advancement. Vic seems remorseful and sincere, and has conducted himself professionally after the fact altogether. Shouldn't demonize someone for something they might not have even done, or if he did do it, he did so without malice, and through ignorance.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider it an all or nothing scenario, obviously Vic shouldn't be hired. I just think it's really hypocritical for them to have upper management accused of sexual harassment, and then make moves like this.

It's that and totally still a good move to kick Vic.
Innocent until proven guilty. The more you look into the Vic situation, the more it looks like this dude was betrayed by his colleagues and thrown under the bus so others could enjoy career advancement. Vic seems remorseful and sincere, and has conducted himself professionally after the fact altogether. Shouldn't demonize someone for something they might not have even done, or if he did do it, he did so without malice, and through ignorance.

LMAO

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It is good that they dumped someone shady, but as the TC already stated they aren't much better as a company. Riot is pretty high up on my trash companies list. I would like to believe that they will improve, and this is evidence of that happening but I sorta doubt it...
I mean they could have easily just kept Vic and made a shoddy excuse for it. I'm glad they at least did something and got rid of him. They need to do much more of course, but this is a hopeful sign. Hopefully.
Oh boy here we go.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Riot's a shithole of a company, but this is at least a step forward.

There's always one per Vic thread, huh?

OP
OP
Newt

Newt

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you propose Riot do instead such that it wouldn't be hypocritical as you say?
They should just fire the upper management responsible for sexual harassment and sexism, release a statement, and finally meet the remaining demands of the employees made during the walkout.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they don't try to publicize it, I don't think you have much cause for mixed thoughts.

Silently doing the right thing isn't the same as trying to use it to shield you from criticism of your sexist and toxic work culture.

This is glorious nonsense.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You're right. This is a good move.
For what it's worth I completely 100% agree with you that this does not absolve them from all of their previous acts and I really hope that they do improve greatly than they are now. And as soon as possible too.

I'm just really relieved because I completely thought that they would ignore all that is happening with Vic and that they would keep him on as a voice actor for their game so I'm really glad that they decided to do something at least by replacing him.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck off. Vic is a fucking creep and it was a "known secret" for years, people just finally had enough of him.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Another thing to note is that Vic also voices Malzahar, so I'd imagine that a recast for him is likely coming in the near future alongside the recast we already saw (or heard, in this case) with Lee Sin.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you're proud of getting your burner account perma-banned.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Riot. They still have a lot of shit to deal with in terms of their company culture but that doesn't mean that all of their teams are infected.

Okay buddy.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Get out of here with this bullshit.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Also, Riot doing shitty things in some instances and good things in this one are not mutually exclusive. The one doesn't really impact the other. Give credit for successes and criticism for failures.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good.

Also, Riot doing shitty things in some instances and good things in this one are not mutually exclusive. The one doesn't really impact the other. Give credit for successes and criticism for failures.
This. Call them out on their shit, but give credit where it's due. This case of removing Vic would fall under the latter, so good on Riot Games for washing their hands clean of him.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a controversial opinion but the new voice sounds leagues better than the old one

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what Riot not having a very good track record has to do with them refusing to rehire a sex pest. Good on them for not bringing this dude back.
This.

Honestly fuck off with this alt-right bullshit.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see Vic got himself a era account.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I will interject that Riot doesn't always do voiceover updates with the original actors. Examples would be Aatrox (Erik Ireland -> Ramon Tikaram) and Ryze (Adam Harrington -> Sean Schemmel). This could potentially be a coincidence (although it is quite damning, seeing as there's no corresponding visual/gameplay update).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I will interject that Riot doesn't always do voiceover updates with the original actors. Examples would be Aatrox (Erik Ireland -> Ramon Tikaram) and Ryze (Adam Harrington -> Sean Schemmel). This could potentially be a coincidence (although it is quite damning, seeing as there's no corresponding visual/gameplay update).
I just hope that they also change Malzahar's VA.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Vic is losing all of his voice acting gigs from major companies. Look at it this way, even a company as toxic as Riot can't keep Vic.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Why stretch so hard to link the two things? If you wanted to make a thread about Riot themselves being shitty, be honest and just do that. The way you've framed it it comes off as an excuse to shit on Riot rather than actually talk about the VO guy getting replaced. Intentional or not.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
They should just fire the upper management responsible for sexual harassment and sexism, release a statement, and finally meet the remaining demands of the employees made during the walkout.

So until they do all of this, they shouldn't get rid of Vic?

Because it would be hypocritical?