• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rinse?

• I rinse

Votes: 591 79.0%
  • I don't rinse

Votes: 157 21.0%

• Total voters

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped rinsing a few years ago. Took a little bit to get used to but its barely noticeable now.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rinse out when I brush because I usually end by brushing my tongue, and there are actual floating nasties in my mouth afterwards. THEN, I hit up with the mouth wash, and that I don't rinse after spitting. Best of both worlds.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I don't leave toothpaste in my mouth. That's weird. My dentist tells me to rinse after every cleaning as well.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So u expect me to not rinse and eat breakfast right after?

Oct 28, 2017
So a couple years I read this opinion on Reddit that you shouldn't rinse your mouth out with water after you brush, and all the reasons why. However, I would recommend against it. After a year of doing this, I went in for my cleaning and it was *the* most painful cleaning I've ever had. It took two sessions. The dentist told me to *never* do what I did, because it creates deposits on your teeth that are not fun to have removed.

Your best bet is to rinse with mouthwash.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
That would leave any food residue in my mouth. No thank you.

1. Brush.
  2. Rinse.
  3. Put small dollop of toothpaste in mouth and swirl around to cover teeth
  4. Spit
Ta-daa. You have no food residue in your mouth, and also the fluoride cover that a mouthwash would give you (but with a significantly higher concentration than any moutwash I've enountered).

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
So a couple years I read this opinion on Reddit that you shouldn't rinse your mouth out with water after you brush, and all the reasons why. However, I would recommend against it. After a year of doing this, I went in for my cleaning and it was *the* most painful cleaning I've ever had. It took two sessions. The dentist told me to *never* do what I did, because it creates deposits on your teeth that are not fun to have removed.

Your best bet is to rinse with mouthwash.

Yikes

Nov 9, 2017
Rinse -> Floss -> Rinse -> Brush -> rinse w/ flouride mouthwash

I highly doubt those who rinse with water are in danger of not getting enough flouride, especially if they brush twice a day like normal folk.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I rinse like 3-4 times throughout flossing and brusing, including after toothpaste.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I usually don't rinse unless I also use mouthwash (which would be the rinse).

Oct 27, 2017
Expected "flouride is poison" era to have a field day with this thread. They must be at the dentist. Drink a cup of water, rinse on last sip, floss, brush teeth, don't rinse.

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
next up is the thread "I recently found out you should rinse the dishes after lathering them in soap", that one's going to be a shitshow

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I brush, I floss, I rins-

Oh no I was almost in elitistEra's good graces until I committed a cardinal sin and now I am a filthy animal among the likes of anti-vaxers and tinfoil-hat fluoride truthers who don't use soap or deodorant oh noooooooooooo

Last edited:

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Brush regularly, let the dentist check your teeth twice a year, let the doc do a Prophylaxe and go on your day.

Frunobulax

Apr 10, 2019
At night I rinse and spit with normal toothpaste, waterpick, and then I use a high flouride toothpaste like Prevident and then I spit but I do not rinse.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Brushing now and the tube says monitor children under 12 to instruct on good brushing and rinsing habits. Meaning at this point in your life rinsing should be a habit.

Jul 18, 2018
I feel like there is no damn standard in anything dealing with Dentistry. I have had various dentists tell me opposite things for years, i don't know what standards i should even follow anymore

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Don't rinse. My dentist told me this years ago.

It's literally in the UK and Australian government health guidelines.

Don't rinse with water straight after toothbrushing

After brushing, spit out any excess toothpaste.

Don't rinse your mouth immediately after brushing, as it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the remaining toothpaste.

This dilutes it and reduces its preventative effects.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-keep-your-teeth-clean/

Spit out toothpaste, but don't rinse

After brushing, spit out the toothpaste but don't rinse

• Toothpaste contains fluoride which helps to strengthen your teeth
  • This works best if you don't rinse the paste off after brushing.
Spit+don%27t+rinse+postcard+%28white%29.jpg

https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/...e/spit+out+toothpaste+but+dont+rinse+campaign

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I rinse, all that shit you just got off your teeth is still in there after spitting. If your gonna leave the tooth paste residue on at least rinse once then brush again.

Imagine applying sunscreen and then immeadiately washing it all off before going outside.

That's a bit unfair. Toothpaste has always been put forward as something like 'tooth soap'. Use it to scrub and clean and then, like with soap in the shower, you rinse. In my experience, anyway. Seeing that note on my daughter's little dental pack is the first I've ever heard of leaving it on. No dentist has ever mentioned it to me.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it should be common knowledge at this point. What would make a person believe that flouride would stick around after rinsing? That's not how anything works with anything else, so why would flouride be different? That shit doesn't just instantly absorb into your teeth

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped rinsing after getting a high fluoride toothpaste. That was years ago now and my dental health has become so much better.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of this, but I'm going to try it. I've had toothaches that feel better after brushing and people say it's the fluoride, so I don't mind it.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the order is floss, rinse, then brush. That way you can loosen up any stuff, get it out, then polish your teeth and leave the stuff in your toothpaste (whitening agent, fluoride, etc) on your teeth until it disolves.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've been rinsing my whole life and that's what I've been having my toddler do, but she recently came home with a brushing calendar from school that says in big letters "SPIT! DON'T RINSE!" I feel like my life is a lie now.
See, this isn't one of those dumb era hygiene threads. The kids are betraying our old ways!

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I get the point of not rinsing, but without it, it feels like I should have a bunch of stuff left over in there. So, I just rinse with water and again with mouthwash afterwards.

You scrub to loosen the particles, then you wash off said particles. That's how you wash literally anything else. So brush, spit and leave makes no sense to me.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I used to rinse every time I brushed for probably near 30 years. Stopped last year because I wasn't aware you're not supposed to rinse with water.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i rinse, but after i do that i use flouide mouthwash and don't rinse. so i guess it doesn't matter.

also i'm pretty sure my dentist, after the flouride thing, has me rinse with a 50/50 solution of water and flouride mouthwash

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know who else rinses?

Your dentist.....when they are performing a routine cleaning. You literally get your teeth brushed and then they rinse them afterward.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I found out a few years ago you're not supposed to so I stopped. My teeth and gum health has actually increased greatly and in my checkups my dentist has noticed the improvement.

so yea, I guess keep rinsing? but you're doing it wrong and your mouth won't thank you for it.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I rinse with water after I brush. But then I follow that up with an anti-cavity fluoride rinse, and then no food or water for 30 minutes after.

Never had a cavity, so I guess it's working. 🤷