• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
We aren't clowning around: "The Greatest Show on Earth" is coming back next year, but it'll be dramatically changed. The new Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus will no longer include animals, reflecting "audiences' changing tastes," a showrunner tells NBC's "Today Show." Interestingly, owner Feld Entertainment also suggests clowns won't be featured, saying audiences now want to see daredevil acts and other awe-inspiring stunts. The circus shut down in 2017 amid slumping ticket sales and pressure from animal rights groups.

www.youtube.com

Ringling: The American Icon Returns

Feld Entertainment®, a family-owned company and worldwide leader in live entertainment experiences, announces the long-awaited return of Ringling Bros. and B...

Good that there will be no more animals. Took them long enough

SORRY WRONG FORUM!

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but if they're video game animals, what's the problem? They aren't real. This is political correctness gone mad.

Jarchafiend

Apr 24, 2021
Been waiting for a Ringling remaster for a while now. Hope they could integrate raytracing for the current gen versions

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
First they remove Scooby Doo from Velma and now they remove the animals from the circus. How are these hard working animals going to get jobs now? /s

of course I'm joking, I don't know who this act are but them removing animal acts is very good news.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Citing "audiences changing tastes" as the reason for not abusing animals seems like the equivalent of the old "I'm sorry that you were offended" line.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to work for Ringling I don't think this will go very well. Attendance dropped significantly when they cut the elephants and tried to make it Cirque du Ringling. Cutting all the animals, the clowns and the ring master (who for years was an outspoken black man) seems like something bound to crash even harder. And yes people came for the animals and clowns despite what people will say.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to work for Ringling I don't think this will go very well. Attendance dropped significantly when they cut the elephants and tried to make it Cirque du Ringling. Cutting all the animals, the clowns and the ring master (who for years was an outspoken black man) seems like something bound to crash even harder. And yes people came for the animals and clowns despite what people will say.

That's so cool you used to work there. I used to go to the circus every year, for the last five years it was around. That ring master was great btw.

So yeah, to prove your point, I don't think I'll be going back when this show starts up again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Honestly feel like going all in on the clowns might have been a better move than getting rid of them.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feel like going all in on the clowns might have been a better move than getting rid of them.

Despite what Internet memes may have you believe people loved the clowns. Even the kids. They're also vital to the show if something goes wrong and a delay needs to happen. They go out to entertain and distract till the show can go on. Same with the Ringmaster. The dumb thing is many Cirque speed use clowns so I'm not sure why Ringling would be shying away from them.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Despite what Internet memes may have you believe people loved the clowns. Even the kids. They're also vital to the show if something goes wrong and a delay needs to happen. They go out to entertain and distract till the show can go on. Same with the Ringmaster. The dumb thing is many Cirque speed use clowns so I'm not sure why Ringling would be shying away from them.

I would imagine they're also, like, the next most iconic thing about a circus to the animals. I'm not really sure what iconic is left for a circus that loses them besides the trapeze and I guess the dagger thrower/fire swallower, but I'm not sure if the latter two are actually still things.

If they're going for stunts I feel like they should be using a more indicative name.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, I mean clowns and animals are what the kids come for and the kids are why parents go. I just dont see how this endeavor can be successful.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I disliked the skateboard acts. I can see that shit at local parks. The dog acts were boring as fuck too. I want to see the flying trapeze and other dangerous human stunts. It was always the best part of the circus. If we want to see an elephant or whatever we can go to the zoo.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Good. Circuses, zoos, and aquariums are all inhumane and anachronistic.
Most zoos go thru the effort of trying to conserve and improve dwindling populations that wouldn't be possible out in the wild (like Pandas and certain marsupials) so I give them that. And the zoos I've been to at least provide enough wide open spaces for most of the animals for them to explore like the Bronx unlike circuses that shove them in confined rusty cages.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I disliked the skateboard acts. I can see that shit at local parks. The dog acts were boring as fuck too. I want to see the flying trapeze and other dangerous human stunts. It was always the best part of the circus. If we want to see an elephant or whatever we can go to the zoo.

No joke when asked the crowd would usually pick the house cat act over any of the death defying acts from the humans. People love cute animals doing tricks.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Circuses, zoos, and aquariums are all inhumane and anachronistic.
Most modern zoos are not really what you think they are when you think of the old word zoo.
In some countries they even have a name change to bio parks.
People that work there are actually animal researchers that give big habitats to animals that need them, while making kids see the importance of protecting the actual natural habitats that exist of out the zoos. They also dont buy animals anymore.

Right now they are incredibly important pieces for animal preservation.

Like even virtual games like planet zoo had this change to be places of education and habitat preservation instead of just a place with animals in cages.

Old style zoos though? Those can go and die.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Should have people dressed up as animals to REALLY terrify kids

Basically make them 365 days traveling Haunted Houses, people love getting scared

call it Ringlings Circus Of Horrors