• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This started life being called a PUBG clone, and only having Asian servers - today it hits Steam and NA Servers (EU servers coming in a month or so). The trailer looks really cool , and has some new wrinkles in the BR genre- It is F2P, and will remain so after beta/early access as well.

Made by Tencent - who also owns a decent stake in Bluehole, and nearly half of Epic games (?)

Edit - fixed the global server mistake

Last edited:

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
At first thought it was a snowboarding game and got very confused. Looks interesting, are the avalanches the "storm"? That'd be amazing!

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think you have to make it to the chopper, interesting ideas hopefully its solid but I expect a fair bit of jank.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
today it hits Steam and global servers.

It's not available in Europe and a lot of other countries:
This package can NOT be purchased in specified countries

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Great Britain, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
It's not a global release, EU version/servers comes month later.
You can't even access Ring Of Elysium steam page if you are European.

OP
OP
GodofWine

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you have to make it to the chopper, interesting ideas hopefully its solid but I expect a fair bit of jank.

Yea, chopper can fit 4 people, 4 people can 'win'...there are gonna be some sweaty palms as 4 people approach that chopper

earthdogjon

Oct 28, 2017
What a terribly handled launch.

Here's a response from a developer on the matter:

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has been officially effective since 25 May 2018. GDPR demands enterprises to comply with the regulation therefore we can only provide services (including EU Servers) to players in European Economic Area (EEA) after we are validated by GDPR. We are actively advancing the progress and we believe EU server will be arriving soon (hopefully within a month).

Thank you for your support and patience.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Here's a response from a developer on the matter:

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has been officially effective since 25 May 2018. GDPR demands enterprises to comply with the regulation therefore we can only provide services (including EU Servers) to players in European Economic Area (EEA) after we are validated by GDPR. We are actively advancing the progress and we believe EU server will be arriving soon (hopefully within a month).

Thank you for your support and patience.

Wait so GDPR from 4 months ago is what's delayed the launch in Europe? How odd.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Game really looks like pubg. Just watch some gameplay from YouTube. Although it looks little smoother.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
A snowboard/skiing battle royal would be amazing, just throw in a couple of these guys

7MMtRSz.gif

and an avalanche and you got yourself a game.

This looks ok though.

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the beta on Hong Kong servers for about a month. It does a lot of things better than pubg. Mainly that it isn't a buggy and sluggish mess.
Even on Hong Kong servers it plays much better than pubg.

Anti aliasing adds a bunch of input lag, so keep it at low.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, I've been looking forward to give this a shot. It's always looked like an arcadier and snappier version of PUBG.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just played a couple of games. Not bad, and will definitely give it some more time. One thing I like immediately is that people actually die when you shoot them.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a lot better than I expected, especially for being free and such a small download.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I had pretty low expectations for this based on what i heard from some streamers but after playing for a quick 20-30 min i was plesantly surprised. Didnt have much time to play, but it was exponentially better than what i expected. I like the extreme sports element of the game and it ran pretty smooth on my ryzen 3 2200g onboard vega graphic (1080p low was slightly choppy by 1600:900p low yielded pretty much a consistent 60fps without issue in first person perspective). I could see this game being extremely successful on console if it ever came out on ps4 and xb1. The system requirements are pretty low which leads me to believe a 60 fps lock would likely be achievable on console. Imo 60 fps lock will become the largest selling point for br on console.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be wanting to try this out at some point, sucks about the EU GDPR thing, I guess a VPN to USA will work?

OP
OP
GodofWine

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This runs shocklingly well IMO (not perfect). G4560/1050ti, 60hz monitor, and I'm running at a locked 60 on good graphics.

This is at least as good as PUBG. The snow boarding / climbing / glider options are really cool, the choose a starting spot is really cool, the 'zone' is the most creative (its not another damn circle), and there are MONSTER TRUCKS.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
player base hasn't completely dried up, actually inching upwards looking at steamcharts.

i have no clue how the avalanches work though.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
player base hasn't completely dried up, actually inching upwards looking at steamcharts.

i have no clue how the avalanches work though.

They're controlled by the time. I think, when the first zone starts to get really cold, like red, then it happens towards the north of the map.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this with some friends since it came out on Steam: Really enjoying it! It does ape a lot from PUBG, but then where it expands further on that is what makes it shine. The glider (technically snowboard and climbing too, but I'll talk about those in a minute) makes this really unique with the freedom of movement. The helicopter ending is also interesting, although I do think it still needs some tweaks to not be a contest of "who got more health supplies".

The other issue I have is the snowboard and climbing packs simply aren't viable. They both pale in comparison to the glider. They try to balance them by giving you more inventory space, but the thing is, in practice you don't need it. Every single time, the ammo I have carried with the glider has always been enough. I have never run out. I have gotten close a few times, but never actually run out. You can maybe hold a few less first aid kids or something like that, but the freedom of movement makes everything all worth it. While gliding you can shoot SMGs or pistols. While snowboarding you can't shoot ANYTHING. I feel like they could make snowboarding viable by just letting you shoot any weapon while riding it. For the climbing gear, you can only climb designated walls and it's super slow, and obvious. The ziplines are decent, but just seem like a poor man's glider, and you can't shoot from them. I think to make the climbing good, they should just let you climb anything, and if they need to give it a stamina bar. I'm talking full on Breath of the Wild style climbing. As things are right now, there's objectively no reason not to choose the glider.

Also I did some research on this, and it appears to be hyperbole/not true, but does anyone know if there's any credibility to this at all?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Also I did some research on this, and it appears to be hyperbole/not true, but does anyone know if there's any credibility to this at all?

Not sure, haven't done much research. But on prior knowledge, I wrote up a review on Steam to attempt to bring to light some things. I brought up (this is a copy paste so nothin targeted at you):

1. Yes, the game does have information collecting, it's something that you consent to when you first launch the game. If you don't like it, uninstall it and don't play it. As far as I'm aware, it's no malicious. It will collect information on your computer, your usage (especially while playing the game), crash logs and yes, probably keystrokes. However, all this information is pretty vital to debugging an incomplete game. Also, if you read, you consented to this information collection.

2. Theres a review with quite a few upvotes claiming that the game ruined his system. I used to work at Best Buy, more accurately the Geek Squad portion of the store. I can't begin to explain to you have many AlienWare systems we saw come back that with corrupt OS'. I'd see a couple in my relatively small store every week with this, or a similar issue. AlienWare uses some pretty decent components, but tend to skimp out on the drives of the machine that are incredibly likely to cause this issue. Some would come out of the box in need of a OS reinstallation. Also, some Geek Squad locations are very good at getting you to pay money to reinstall an OS rather than fix it. The group I was with was incredibly honest with their work and could usually fix an OS without losing user data assuming the machine wasn't in dire need of new components. However, I know many other stores will ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t you into buying more expensive parts, services, or entirely new machines.

3. The time that some of these reviews were being posted was also around the same time a Windows 10 update was being pushed out to some machines that have some reports of user data loss. However true or accurate this is, we're uncertain at this time, but it could very well be an issue. It's usually good practice, and has been for years, to backup your data before you do any sort of system update. UPDATE: Microsoft has since pulled this update while they try and resolve the issue.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, haven't done much research. But on prior knowledge, I wrote up a review on Steam to attempt to bring to light some things. I brought up (this is a copy paste so nothin targeted at you):

1. Yes, the game does have information collecting, it's something that you consent to when you first launch the game. If you don't like it, uninstall it and don't play it. As far as I'm aware, it's no malicious. It will collect information on your computer, your usage (especially while playing the game), crash logs and yes, probably keystrokes. However, all this information is pretty vital to debugging an incomplete game. Also, if you read, you consented to this information collection.

2. Theres a review with quite a few upvotes claiming that the game ruined his system. I used to work at Best Buy, more accurately the Geek Squad portion of the store. I can't begin to explain to you have many AlienWare systems we saw come back that with corrupt OS'. I'd see a couple in my relatively small store every week with this, or a similar issue. AlienWare uses some pretty decent components, but tend to skimp out on the drives of the machine that are incredibly likely to cause this issue. Some would come out of the box in need of a OS reinstallation. Also, some Geek Squad locations are very good at getting you to pay money to reinstall an OS rather than fix it. The group I was with was incredibly honest with their work and could usually fix an OS without losing user data assuming the machine wasn't in dire need of new components. However, I know many other stores will ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t you into buying more expensive parts, services, or entirely new machines.

3. The time that some of these reviews were being posted was also around the same time a Windows 10 update was being pushed out to some machines that have some reports of user data loss. However true or accurate this is, we're uncertain at this time, but it could very well be an issue. It's usually good practice, and has been for years, to backup your data before you do any sort of system update.
Figured this was probably the case, thanks. Especially that first point, I had to wonder if people's complaints of information being sent to China were just standard game metrics you consent to.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Figured this was probably the case, thanks. Especially that first point, I had to wonder if people's complaints of information being sent to China were just standard game metrics you consent to.
Like I said, I haven't done much research into it, so I'm not 100%, but data collection on games, especially ones in early access from large companies is a really, really standard practice. It's possible that there's something malicious there, but I really doubt it. It going to China means nothing without hard evidence, and of course it's going there because it's a Chinese company. If I happen to notice or find something that states otherwise, I will gladly update that information.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the trailer for it then a JackFrags video and it looks really nice. Definitely a lot more slick and polished than most BR games and with some nice ideas of its own.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Played a lot of this over the last couple of days and it is now my favourite Battle Royale game. SO much fun!

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I started playing this last week and this is quickly becoming my favourite BR. At its core, it's very similar to PUBG, so I feel that's the best point of comparison.

Things I like about it:
  • You choose where to spawn and you see where everyone else is spawning (one grid tile per player/squad). This has several upsides. It decreases downtime between matches (you spawn right into the map with no lobby, plane, or parachuting). It prevents half of the server from landing in one spot (like school in Erangel) just to die within one minute, which makes the midgame and endgame have more players.
  • You spawn with a pistol. This combined with the above makes it so dying early due to RNG never happens. You always have a rough idea of how many people are spawning and where, and you always have a basic weapon to defend yourself with.
  • The snowboard, glider, and zip lines are a lot of fun to use and make the game feel a lot more mobile and dynamic. It makes combat more interesting as you have more options for moving between cover and attacking enemies.
  • Urban combat is a lot more vertical. You can reach the roof of almost every building via an attic or ladder. This combined with the above movement options makes urban combat a lot more fun than PUBG.
  • The endgame (helicopter which up to 4 players from different teams can escape it) is a fun, interesting twist on the whole BR formula. It adds a sense of urgency and leads to some interesting situations. And I think letting multiple teams be able to win I think is a good addition.
  • The pacing is really good. Each match is faster than PUBG (a full match in ROE is about 20 minutes long) and it feels like there is very little downtime. I spend so much time in PUBG waiting for the next circle to appear, but I feel like that never happens in ROE.
  • Thanks to the movement options and an abundance of vehicles, there's basically no chance to get screwed over by the zone (and there aren't many zone changes. I think it changes 3 times total).
  • Inventory management is a billion times easier and friendlier. Attachments are automatically equipped on pickup. Attachments automatically move between guns when you pick up a new gun. Pressing F to pick up something is actually responsive (I'm baffled they never addressed this in PUBG. Everyone drags items because mouse clicking or pressing F is super sluggish).
  • I like the visual style of the game. I think they executed the winter theme very well (and it's cohesive across all elements of the game), and there are cool landmarks on the map. Like a big chess board with pieces made out of ice, or a ski resort, or a giant reindeer made out of girders as support for a network of cable cars.
  • The game is free.
I think this game deserves to be a lot more popular than it currently is (at least it seems to be doing pretty well. It's currently the second biggest BR on Steam, though it's not even remotely close to PUBG in popularity).

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Never heard of this before, but I'll definitely check it out. I haven't turned on my gaming PC in like 4 months, so I'm scared for all of the updating I'll have to endure first. =/