• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna buy this and prove it works for me, as long, as someone who barely does any exercise cuz lazyness/getting bored, gets in the groove of doing daily exercise it would be successful.

Added a more middling review by Jeff Grubb from GamesBeat: 60/100

His main criticism seems to be that he had a difficult time getting "into the zone" and that games like Dance Dance Revolution or VR fitness games have been more successful for him.

I understand the complaint. But an Oculus Quest is like 500€ and this costs 70.

Kind of unfair, like complaining a 100€/monthly gym equipment and tools is way better than one that cost 20€ each month.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
This game looks awesome and I'd honestly buy it immediately if I didn't live on the second floor of a house whose downstairs neighbors already complain about the noise even though I'm relatively quiet. Even the silent step mode would probably make the floor creak and would kind of defeat the purpose of the workout.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was about to grab this today, but my shoulder is busted from I don't even know what.

Gonna have to wait a bit, but I'm ready.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, how does purchasing this work at Wal Mart?

Can I walk in at midnight tonight and ask them to ring it up? Is it possible to have them ring it up earlier? (I'm central time zone).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
90 minutes for a total of 430 burned calories is really good, the issue is the amount of days it took them (11).
Yeah for me a 7km run should be 35 minutes. So half the time as this game. Still. It's different exercises versus running at a high pace non-stop so all things considered this is not that bad.
When looking at the estimated calories burned by a reviewer, people seem to forget there are also difficulty levels in the game (?) A 7 km run at one speed does not burn the same amount of calories as a 7 km run at a different speed, same thing goes for the calories burned at a certain difficulty level.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Drink Diet Mountain Dew instead. On the weekend mix the Dew with Maker's Mark whiskey in a highball glass with lots of ice. 3 parts Dew 1 part whiskey

Best advice.

Do any reviews talk about the difficulties? Sounds like it might be best to start on the highest.

At the beginning of the game, you push the ring as hard as you can for a few moments, and then pull the ring as hard as you can for a few moments. It sets the difficulty from there. And, apparently, the game asks if you'd like to workout harder or at the same level as the day before on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Before I dig into these reviews - Does any review dive deep into the resistance offered and use maybe a person that already does some regular exercise?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Added the Kotaku review but I find it difficult to really make any conclusions about the difficulty and the calories burned from it. Kind of a useless metric to include.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hmmm, I actually wasn't interested in this game at all but think I will pick it up as a supplemental routine for Friday-Sunday when I can't go to the gym. I need something that's fun and will get me to try different exercises. I love running but I've been running for years, want to mix it up more.

Edit - Literally just bought it off Amazon. Let's do this. It would be interesting to see if anyone streams this lol. ZeRo has been on a fitness kick lately I'd love to see him try it

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Before I dig into these reviews - Does any review dive deep into the resistance offered and use maybe a person that already does some regular exercise?

There's a preview video on the first page with a personal trainer.

(If you're really strong, the game will adapt to that and make you do more reps, push the ring in harder to accomplish tasks, have better form, etc.)

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
At the beginning of the game, you push the ring as hard as you can for a few moments, and then pull the ring as hard as you can for a few moments. It sets the difficulty from there. And, apparently, the game asks if you'd like to workout harder or at the same level as the day before on a daily basis.

Oh cool, that sounds good.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
just finished the first world (two stages and a battle with dragon-bro) and i'm a sweaty mess. that clocked 10 minutes total of exercise so yeah, i'm a waste of a human being. fun though!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
That was my point. I didn't change anything else about my lifestyle besides swapping the gym for Ring Fit and I was able to maintain my weight.

What do you usually do at the gym? Cardio? Strength lifting or toning lifting? I just wonder what this game could possibly do for my body.

Also, did you notice an improvement in your performance from when you started playing until now? Or I guess how do you generally feel after playing this consistently for a while?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I do weight lifting 3 times a week in the mornings but I need to lose weight. I hate cardio exercises but I have no problem with gamified cardio. I still use fitness boxing from time to time and together with Ring Fit I'm hoping to get my cardio routine going. Seems like a fun game too.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
What do you usually do at the gym? Cardio? Strength lifting or toning lifting? I just wonder what this game could possibly do for my body.

Also, did you notice an improvement in your performance from when you started playing until now? Or I guess how do you generally feel after playing this consistently for a while?

Mostly cardio but I've been mixing in some strength training the past few months, though not a ton. It's hard to say definitely of I've noticed an improvement because of the ever changing exercises, but I'm pretty sure I have to some degree, especially since I've been steadily raising the difficulty.

efjo

Oct 3, 2018
That was my point. I didn't change anything else about my lifestyle besides swapping the gym for Ring Fit and I was able to maintain my weight.
Thanks for the videos you guys have been putting out. I liked the Ring-con version of your intro too. Did you experience any muscle soreness the day after a Ring Fit session?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Anyway to get this digital in the US? I can only find info about the Japanese release. For a game I'd hope to play every day, I really don't want to have to swap the game that often. That's why I'm digital on all my regular rotation games and I primarily only buy physical on games I hope to beat and be mostly done with.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm probably going to wait & see if there is a price drop from a random retailer on Black Friday. By then people will also have a better idea of the "endgame". But it looks like it's shaping up pretty well so far.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway to get this digital in the US? I can only find info about the Japanese release. For a game I'd hope to play every day, I really don't want to have to swap the game that often. That's why I'm digital on all my regular rotation games and I primarily only buy physical on games I hope to beat and be mostly done with.

Not yet. Send the feedback to NoA customer service, because there's clearly a SKU with just the code in a box ready to go that they don't plan on distributing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Updated it with the MC/OC scores despite there not being that many scored reviews out yet. Most of the stuff I've read has been rather positive so far.

As it was the case with Wii Fit, the potential of Ring Fit Adventure probably won't be evident until a few weeks if not months after launch. Hoping to see some success stories.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Not yet. Send the feedback to NoA customer service, because there's clearly a SKU with just the code in a box ready to go that they don't plan on distributing.

Yeah, it's bonkers not to have a digital option for a daily play game like this...It's one of the things stopping me from hitting pre-order.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Is this digital elsewhere?
I'm assuming it's physical only like Labo since you need a specific peripheral to make it work

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb that there's no digital version in the US. Having to swap a game card each time you want to play is a good excuse to drop it.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's... fine?

Did you really expect an exercise tool with light rpg elements to get 90s?
Someday someone will make a full body game that wins GotY. When your full body is in use you get way more adrenaline plus you can mess with fatigue a lot more. Basically it can add immersion just like VR can add it. The problem is motion controls have been poor since forever and people would rather just flick their thumbs while sitting on a couch. But someday someone will make a full body motion adventure (aka holodeck) and people will choose to play it because of all the added immersion and feedback. I think we're still 10+ years out.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Someday someone will make a full body game that wins GotY. When your full body is in use you get way more adrenaline plus you can mess with fatigue a lot more. Basically it can add immersion just like VR can add it. The problem is motion controls have been poor since forever and people would rather just flick their thumbs while sitting on a couch. But someday someone will make a full body motion adventure (aka holodeck) and people will choose to play it because of all the added immersion and feedback. I think we're still 10+ years out.

I think someone did a test and you can't just "flick your wrist" in this game. You actually have to do some form of the movement.

Also, considering this a Pilates ring, an actual piece of exercise equipment outside of games.These are all real "full body" motions...

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Am sceptical about calorie counting by the game, it isn't a continuous heart rate measurement.

We need some reviewer to use a garmin or an apple watch to give us some numbers, and also some numbers from their regular workouts as a comparison point.

Hopefully we'll get metrics like that as people play the game during the week.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will wait until holiday (or a month I guess), it's quite pricey here in Mexico, if I can still find Labo units then I won't have problem to find this. But I like the idea, kinda like a fun entry way to learn yoga.