• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
in my country games are expensive and I just tend to buy those who are really good. and ONE of the metrics I use to analyze if a game is good enough for me to spend 350,00 reais (almost 90,00 dollars) is meta and open critic.

Totally understand the concern for price. This comparison is obviously not flawless but here is how some other fitness games have reviewed:

Wii Fit - 80
Wii Fit Plus - 80
Wii Fit U - 72

EA Sports Active - 81
EA Sports Active 2 - 79

Fitness Boxing - 66

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved - 73
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 - 77
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - 76

Zumba Fitness: Join the Party - 42
Zumba Fitness Rush - 73
Zumba Fitness Core - 77
Zumba Fitness World - 73

Many of these are based on like 5-6 reviews though. This will hopefully get more.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
this thing is going to cost over 100 dollars here in Brazil, so I think I'm allowed to be a little bit harsh when analyzing if this is good enough for the money I would have to spend on it or not.
Man, you are totally right by bringing up the question. In Brazil it´s really expensive, so you have to choose wisely:) I think, what the guys here want you to tell, is, that, in this case a fitness game with 70 rating, is really, really good. You have to put in in relation. Maybe the Metacritic is even the wrong place, to really evaluate what is good about this game. Maybe you should look at reviews, coming from not so gaming centered sites:)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
this thing is going to cost over 100 dollars here in Brazil, so I think I'm allowed to be a little bit harsh when analyzing if this is good enough for the money I would have to spend on it or not.

So what are your takeaways from the numbered reviews as to why you shouldn't use your money on it if you're looking for a fitness game in the first place? I'm just curious what factors you're reading about that are deterring you from it?

Or are you not even reading the reviews and just glancing quickly at the score and have some arbitrary value it should pass already set in your mind? No offense, genuinely curious what things in your mind you don't like about the game were you feel the score is important enough to keep you from it given it's a fitness game and those never reach the 90s afaik.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but let's be honest here: numbers matter. We all love them.

Sure we love numbers, but there are a number of what I'd consider major outlets that don't even use numbers anymore.

I totally get that the value proposition of anything is subjective, as it should be. But the are only four reviews counted on metacritic at the moment, while we have four other reviews without scores that are all positive about the game.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Added a more middling review by Jeff Grubb from GamesBeat: 60/100

His main criticism seems to be that he had a difficult time getting "into the zone" and that games like Dance Dance Revolution or VR fitness games have been more successful for him.

That's a fair criticism, I see it more an individual taste there. I can't get in to games like DDR or Beat Saber that are just wide open with no structure. A game like that with dozens and dozens of choices and you're just free to pick whatever, whenever, nope. I would play a few times then never return to, I want something with more of a set, defined goal to follow, so at least in my mind, his main criticism he's taking off all 40 points from the score for me is completely irrelevant.

- The game doesn't engage you to spend hours of extra unplanned time in it.

I don't want to do this anyway. I want to spend 30 minutes, feel like I accomplished something, and move on to other things I need to do in my life. I don't want to turn the game on and have it be two hours later lol and feel rushed like I need to make up the lost time now.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair criticism, I see it more an individual taste there. I can't get in to games like DDR or Beat Saber that are just wide open with no structure. A game like that with dozens and dozens of choices and you're just free to pick whatever, whenever, nope. I would play a few times then never return to, I want something with more of a set, defined goal to follow, so at least in my mind, his main criticism he's taking off all 40 points from the score for me is completely irrelevant.

I don't want to do this anyway. I want to spend 30 minutes, feel like I accomplished something, and move on to other things I need to do in my life. I don't want to turn the game on and have it be two hours later lol and feel rushed like I need to make up the lost time now.

Same, I love JRPGs and I want a fitness game like Wii Fit. It isn't beat saber. But ya, without a set path/defined goal, I put down beat saber after a few runs like you said.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any talk here of what the endgame activities are, specifically in regards to the main story? After you beat it, does the game provide any way for you to replay it while adapting to your higher levels or anything? I know there are other side activities, but I feel like the main quest is the big draw here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any talk here of what the endgame activities are, specifically in regards to the main story? After you beat it, does the game provide any way for you to replay it while adapting to your higher levels or anything? I know there are other side activities, but I feel like the main quest is the big draw here.
Nobody has beat it. It's going to take time to beat to know what else there is.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I know this is off topic, but it seems like a good place to ask. I already have ring fit ordered and cant wait to try it out. My question happens to be about the first two wii fit games though. I had wii fit U and my nephews like playing the mini games on it when they come over so I assume they will probably want to try this game out when they see I have it. Ive always heard the minigames in wii fit/plus were better than the ones in U, is this true? and if so which one of the two would you recommend getting? (strictly for mini games included)

Just figured I would ask since some people here may have a history with fii fit and wii fit plus, also since the games are dirt cheap now. Im thinking I might give them the old balance board and a copy of whichever game.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
There should an special OS avatar for people who beat this game.

They should create an Achievements system and have that be the only Achievement.

Nintendo reps were saying if you play like 30 mins per day it should take months. That's pretty wild.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Oh I absolutely agree with you. The fact that this is structured like an RPG is way more appealing to me as well.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
it seems to be like a 30 hour+ game, which is...a shit ton of exercise even if they were given a month haha
Yeah, I don't really blame reviewers for not finishing it in the given time, but 30 hours won't last long for people who are consistent with it, so I'd just like to know you're not just left with basic single exercises when it's done. I might wait for impressions from folks who beat it.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't really blame reviewers for not finishing it in the given time, but 30 hours won't last long for people who are consistent with it, so I'd just like to know you're not just left with basic single exercises when it's done. I might wait for impressions from folks who beat it.

Yeah I expect there to be some sort of new game+ myself, or things to do after it's over - besides just the free work out. If not, I guess 3 months of structured game play isn't the worst, but would be a little disappointing if that was it. I'd even welcome DLC that added more worlds to go through if they do something like that.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like there are difficulty settings. I imagine you don't finish it your first time through on the hardest settings. It's exercise. Do it again....BUT HARDER! Raaahhhh

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it makes sense to update the average scores in the OP when the majority of the reviews is in progress or unscored. There's only 4 scores on MC/OC so far.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018

They need to add in a patch for "daily runs", or even just a rogue-like mode. Make it so that you have to perform the exercises as perfect as possible in order to survive and beat the run.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Beyonce's favorite game

Get it, because Nintendo put a ring on it. Get it, did you get it

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Welp. I ordered it. I've been meaning to get some more exercise in and this looks like a fun way to do so. Are there any mentions about how much space around you is required to do the exercises without hitting or breaking shit? That is my only concern.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would score matter for this device.

There is only one important question. Does it deliver? All the youtube previews confirm it does.

They all say it works and its fun.

For the rest i don't care what game reviewers will give the game by score, they arent fitness boys, they will judge on their game experience.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Welp. I ordered it. I've been meaning to get some more exercise in and this looks like a fun way to do so. Are there any mentions about how much space around you is required to do the exercises without hitting or breaking shit? That is my only concern.
I think the GameXPlain people said in their impressions, "basically a yoga mat". From what I've seen of previews and the setup/calibration instructions, you will want enough space for you to sit\lie down for certain exercises, and enough space around you that, standing in place, you can't hit anything around you with outstretched arms, like an arm's-reach sphere of empty space.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
high 70 is not good.
I'm not trying to jump onto you because I did read your follow up replies where you explain why you feel this way but...

I disagree not only with your sentiment that it is not good, but that others have said it is good "for it's genre". Because here's the thing, even if this assessment had been made with several reviews instead of the whopping 2 that were available... High 70 is a good score. It implies either uniformly consistent scores, or some more mixed reception, but in either case implies, for example, that it's been rated roughly 4/5 on average. It's kind of asinine that people will have to "spin" a 4/5 into being a good score. Is there any other entertainment where people can call 4/5 "not good"? Anyway I wanted to chime in more because of the replies to you "justifying" it than your initial comment but, yeah, I think gamers are fucking high.

I really wish I could get this game for myself. As someone with extremely debilitating depression, lack of energy, and a lack of motivation this appeals to me greatly. I really feel like it could help me with a routine that I desperately need but unfortunately have no motivation to implement... But I don't have any money 😭

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The GamesBeat review is strange. Who wants to exercise in VR?

I have been to a vr base, we played with a backpack and oculus rift connected to it. We got a big gun in our hand and walked and shooted around.

I can tell you that it was a heavy exercise. Everyone was tired at the end of the session

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

430 calories for 90 minutes of exercising is really bad?

Just curious, I don't do sprinting or heaving running so when I'm on a treadmill it's a slower pace and I generally think that would be inline with what I'd expect.

Then again not all exercises burn calories at the same rate. I'm pretty sure 90 minutes of yoga wouldn't burn that much either. Not sure if 90 minutes of bicep curls would burn the same amount of 90 minutes of swimming laps etc.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I have been to a vr base, we played with a backpack and oculus rift connected to it. We got a big gun in our hand and walked and shooted around.

I can tell you that it was a heavy exercise. Everyone was tired at the end of the session

But you get all sweaty inside the headset

also can't jump around too vigorously

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
430 calories for 90 minutes of exercising is really bad?

Just curious, I don't do sprinting or heaving running so when I'm on a treadmill it's a slower pace and I generally think that would be inline with what I'd expect.

Then again not all exercises burn calories at the same rate. I'm pretty sure 90 minutes of yoga wouldn't burn that much either. Not sure if 90 minutes of bicep curls would burn the same amount of 90 minutes of swimming laps etc.
90 minutes for a total of 430 burned calories is really good, the issue is the amount of days it took them (11).

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
A 7km run is about 450 calories. I don't run the way I used to due to a bad knee. But I used to run 3 times a week one of which was a 10km run.

I gotcha. I used to do 5-10 km. 7km is about 4.5 miles and it'd take me an hour to do 5 miles. I know I'm probably slower than a more consistent runner. But I'd rather spend 1.5 hours and be playing a video game for the same amount of calories as 60 minutes of running.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I gotcha. I used to do 5-10 km. 7km is about 4.5 miles and it'd take me an hour to do 5 miles. I know I'm probably slower than a more consistent runner. But I'd rather spend 1.5 hours and be playing a video game for the same amount of calories as 60 minutes of running.
Yeah for me a 7km run should be 35 minutes. So half the time as this game. Still. It's different exercises versus running at a high pace non-stop so all things considered this is not that bad.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I run, but not every single day. This seems like a great thing to do in the mornings just to check in before showering to get my body moving. Pretty hyped on it, but only looking to put in an hour or so a day. Looks like a good bang for my buck in my situation

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Pilates is never gonna burn more calories than literally running, so it all looks good to me. This is more about full body stuff. Activating muscles, flexibility. I need all of that.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
ring fit adventure - minus 120 calories
walking to work - minus 60 calories
walking the dog - minus 30 calories
mountain dew - plus 8600 calories
climbing stairs - minus 20 calories

someone who is good at the exercising please help me budget this. i'm dying.

Drink Diet Mountain Dew instead. On the weekend mix the Dew with Maker's Mark whiskey in a highball glass with lots of ice. 3 parts Dew 1 part whiskey