• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I want to know, is Ring Fit really that good of a workout for weight loss? I have an elliptical which is fine, but it's also boring. I play BoxVR and get a better workout and it's more fun. Also more sweaty with a Rift on my face.

If you are a bit out of shape, the mountain climber will rock you, they also like to have a ton of yoga exercises, squat, and ab raisers. It's legit. I can get my heart rate to moderate.

Eating well >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fitness. Good for them though.

But nobody is going to get fit with this without changing eating habits.

Not sure why these threads always have to turn into this, did anyone say otherwise.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
30 days is not very long at all and his change is probably due to changing his diet habits ... which probably started when he decided to play the game, thats what would actually create a drastic change not a daily workout of that nagnitude

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised, I'd guess it involves eating better and better habits (which the game gives you tips on)

But I will say this. I can't play this game every day for 25 minutes (25 game time minutes is usually 50 actual minutes, as game time only counts literal work out time doing moves and actually running, not the literal time you are doing it or stretching etc) cause it makes me sore as fuck. I have to take breaks and skip days or I'm wrecked.

So if you can manage to play it every day, it's gonna work you out and you are going to see positives. I can already see progress in my chest and some results doing my method.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
If you are a bit out of shape, the mountain climber will rock you, they also like to have a ton of yoga exercises, squat, and ab raisers. It's legit. I can get my heart rate to moderate.

Not sure why these threads always have to turn into this, did anyone say otherwise.
Take a look at the Link in the OP. Somebody losing 5-10 kg in 30 days just by playing some ring fit adventure, i dont know...

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Eating well >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fitness. Good for them though.

But nobody is going to get fit with this without changing eating habits.
Of course eating well is the biggest factor, but it's not like it's an either/or situation. If someone is already eating well, adding fitness only improves things. It's best to work on eating habits and fitness for the best results. I would hope nobody expects miracles from fitness games if they eat poorly.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
People always suck in fitness threads. Christ almighty y'all need to drink some feel good juice.

On a nicer note, I'm 40 days into RFA at difficult 29, 30-45 minutes a day, and noticing a significant difference in how toned I am compared to when I first started RFA. My arms have some definition and I'm tightening up in general. RFA may not be the GOAT for weight less (though it makes getting even the slightest caloric deficit, regularly, much simpler) but it's absolutely great for getting into shape and toning up, which is really all that most people need to do once they drop a bit of weight.
That's exactly what Ring Fit is for. Not weight loss, but toning and stamina. As the subject of the story said, he combined Ring Fit with a better diet to great effect. Not sure why people feel the need to shit on his accomplishment. Maybe they're upset about not being able to do the same.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It is so funny and so sad how the reaction to someone being more active and exercising more than they have been is "well it's bullshit and you are really doing nothing, you should be doing this and this and this"

It's like telling someone who went from smoking a pack of cig's a day to smoking 2 or 3 "well you still smoke so you are doing nothing, same as smoking the whole pack anyway"

What's this all or nothing bullshit? If you want progress in life and want people to not be unhealthy you have to encourage and support steps they are taking towards that. Always this gatekeeping bullshit.

I get that you don't want to promote something that isn't real and people are skeptical of lofty claims, but worse case scenario people will think something like Ring Fit will change their life and they will exercise more... so there's no downside. The upside is they will be doing yoga moves and squats and running and all kinds of legit exercise that the game makes so palatable and so encouraging.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
100% of the people being cynical about it didn't play the game.

It is really well done.
The running warms your body and the battles make you do an impressive amount of exercices through long series that can be quite hard.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It's always great to see someone getting fitter and moving to a healthier weight! And his loss looks perfectly reasonable for 30 days of eating well and exercising for 25 min/day. The "shocking" in the title is sort of ridiculous.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking that this news story is suspect isn't the same as saying the game sucks or isn't real exercise. I've been playing Ring Fit since around when it came out and a session the length he's saying he's been playing tends to be around 100 calories. It's around what I do and while it is certainly better than no physical activity it's also not extensive training or a weight loss regimen. His change in diet likely contributed to the vast majority of weight loss pictured, and good in him for losing the weight regardless of how he did it, but the articles are framing this as being the result of Ring Fit when it likely isn't.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking that this news story is suspect isn't the same as saying the game sucks or isn't real exercise. I've been playing Ring Fit since around when it came out and a session the length he's saying he's been playing tends to be around 100 calories. It's around what I do and while it is certainly better than no physical activity it's also not extensive training or a weight loss regimen. His change in diet likely contributed to the vast majority of weight loss pictured, and good in him for losing the weight regardless of how he did it, but the articles are framing this as being the result of Ring Fit when it likely isn't.

But what if one changes their diet because they took a step to being healthier from using Ring Fit? Without that first step from Ring Fit they might not have tried changing their diet (or maybe they change it but just don't keep it changed without the engagement of something like RFA provides), so in a way in that case Ring Fit is responsible for the diet change which is responsible for the weight loss, so Ring Fit is both directly and indirectly contributing - it's effect is two-fold.

For some people it may be easier to keep with a better diet if they're also being proactive in exercise too, and if there's one thing that's nearly unanimous about Ring Fit it's that it is the most fun you'll have (the average you, not you specifically) exercising. So many people say using Ring Fit's adventure mode actually makes it fun vs just something they have to do every day - which may be enough to get someone on the right track long enough to see real results which may in turn lead them to even more and healthier avenues.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
What you probably don't know is that GoNintendo links to a lot of trash i.e. NintendoSoup.

The OP originally started this thread with a NintendoSoup article but then changed to GoNintendo since NintendoSoup is banned however, GoNintendo is using NintendoSoup as their source.

I also linked the guy's original post on Facebook.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My weight lost has actually been small, but that's also because I have to eat more protein and iron which increases my muscle mass. So have been losing inches, while my legs get bigger.

Anyway, where Ring Fit really helped me was my blood pressure. Before, even with being on an Eclipse for 30 minute, doing 15,000 steps a day, and watching my sodium intact, my blood pressure was still 140/95, an improvement of 144/100 on a bad bay but still too high. After 25 days on Ring Fit along with my normal workout, my pressure on average is 133/83 and my pulse from 91-95 on average to 79-85. Still on the high side, but a vast improvement over before where I'm likely to have a stroke and would be medication for the rest of my life since both sides of my family has a history with hypertension and strokes.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The story is a fake, its not even the same guy in the photo, its two different guys. Unless he completely changed his hair, mouth and had a nose job in that same month

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Yeesh, too many Dragauxs. This toxicity is exactly the type of shit the game tries to fight against. It actively encourages the player to engage in a healthier lifestyle alongside each play session. Ring Fit very well may have helped the guy kickstart his journey to overall healthier living.

He's doing good, happy for him.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
It is so funny and so sad how the reaction to someone being more active and exercising more than they have been is "well it's bullshit and you are really doing nothing, you should be doing this and this and this"

It's like telling someone who went from smoking a pack of cig's a day to smoking 2 or 3 "well you still smoke so you are doing nothing, same as smoking the whole pack anyway"

What's this all or nothing bullshit? If you want progress in life and want people to not be unhealthy you have to encourage and support steps they are taking towards that. Always this gatekeeping bullshit.

I get that you don't want to promote something that isn't real and people are skeptical of lofty claims, but worse case scenario people will think something like Ring Fit will change their life and they will exercise more... so there's no downside. The upside is they will be doing yoga moves and squats and running and all kinds of legit exercise that the game makes so palatable and so encouraging.
They might also give up after a week because they haven't seen dramatic results. Ring fit is an amazing game and does provide great exercise. The game is very clear about that you should look for long term efforts and results, and try to do whatever you can to have a more healthy lifestyle. This kind dramatic change in one month is not realistic whether it's fake or not. It's counterproductive.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
For sure; there are many variables per human.

In the case of your sister though, how much was she eating? What was her weight? Because it still pretty much is calculating what your TDEE is (which can take a couple weeks to figure out how much you can eat without gaining weight) and then reducing it by 200-500 cals in order to lose weight - whether that be eating less or exercising more to burn more energy.
I don't want to get into every detail because I understand this is just hearsay to everyone else, but living with my sister in a small apartment, I saw with my own eyes that she wasn't cheating or sloppily measuring, she was absolutely at a significant to massive calorie deficit for well over a year without losing weight or dropping clothes sizes. Unfortunately when she shared with others her frustration at a lack of results, she would often be disbelieved because "that would violate the laws of thermodynamics" and such, repeatedly told by she must be counting wrong or cheating somehow. Understandably frustrating for her when I know how incredibly diligent and unwavering she was.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
They might also give up after a week because they haven't seen dramatic results. Ring fit is an amazing game and does provide great exercise. The game is very clear about that you should look for long term efforts and results, and try to do whatever you can to have a more healthy lifestyle. This kind dramatic change in one month is not realistic whether it's fake or not. It's counterproductive.

If someone uses ring fit every day for a week they will feel the results. Are they gonna lose 30 pounds and be a muscle man? No but they will have experienced an actual work out and see its far different than something like wii fit.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I think it's funny that everyone on here assumes that you even need a healthy diet to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds by literally eating the same garbage I always ate, just less of it. Not saying it's right or healthy, but "eating healthy" is not the only way to lose weight. A calorie deficit is pretty much all that's required in most cases

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
If someone uses ring fit every day for a week they will feel the results. Are they gonna lose 30 pounds and be a muscle man? No but they will have experienced an actual work out and see its far different than something like wii fit.
Your not gonna lose a lot of weight in a week with the same diet most likely. Maybe if you're heavily overweight. If you come in with the expectation of losing a lot of weight and gaining a lot of muscle very fast you will be disappointed because that's not how exercising works. Again, Ring fit is a great tool, unhealthy expectations are not.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Your not gonna lose a lot of weight in a week with the same diet most likely. Maybe if you're heavily overweight. If you come in with the expectation of losing a lot of weight and gaining a lot of muscle very fast you will be disappointed because that's not how exercising works. Again, Ring fit is a great tool, unhealthy expectations are not.
I didn't say the results meant losing weight. If you work out consistently your body will change regardless what else you do. Especially if its a person who leads an incredibly sedentary life and is never active. If you do a good exercise routine consistently you will improve your life, however small or however large.

Nobody is saying everyone is going to have the same results or super great results. Just that people working out when they havent before and being able to keep to it by turning it into a game, is a great thing and there is no need for people to come in and shit on them cause its not a real work out, they arent having a good diet, etc. etc.

Nobody gives a shit. We live in an increasingly fat world and wonder why? Maybe this is a contributing factor. "Oh hey fatty I see you started a work out thing, BUT DO YOU REALIZE its pointless???"

Worst case scenario someone tries working out for a month, doesn't get amazing results but happens to improve their health. oh no!!! Show me a person who works out daily or multiple times a week for a month and is discouraged with the results. Please. I dare say things like diet will naturally come along with it as when you are working out often you really feel your poor diet choices and how much they make you feel shitty and make everything harder. I don't give a shit about my diet but every time I get into a good work out routine eating better even if its just eating less or less shitty things, naturally starts to happen.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
The guy is a member of our group. I don't know how did this get blown up. It started on that Nintendosoup site hahaha.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine coming into a thread and shitting on a stranger who did at least some level of excercise for thirty straight days. Era is fucking traaaaash

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say the results meant losing weight. If you work out consistently your body will change regardless what else you do. Especially if its a person who leads an incredibly sedentary life and is never active. If you do a good exercise routine consistently you will improve your life, however small or however large.

Nobody is saying everyone is going to have the same results or super great results. Just that people working out when they havent before and being able to keep to it by turning it into a game, is a great thing and there is no need for people to come in and shit on them cause its not a real work out, they arent having a good diet, etc. etc.

Nobody gives a shit. We live in an increasingly fat world and wonder why? Maybe this is a contributing factor. "Oh hey fatty I see you started a work out thing, BUT DO YOU REALIZE its pointless???"

Worst case scenario someone tries working out for a month, doesn't get amazing results but happens to improve their health. oh no!!! Show me a person who works out daily or multiple times a week for a month and is discouraged with the results. Please. I dare say things like diet will naturally come along with it as when you are working out often you really feel your poor diet choices and how much they make you feel shitty and make everything harder. I don't give a shit about my diet but every time I get into a good work out routine eating better even if its just eating less or less shitty things, naturally starts to happen.
Where did I shit on them? Everything you do is better than nothing. I simply said that setting unrealistic goals based on someone else's "dramatic" change is counterproductive, which is not that controversial if you read any research about it. I bet you can go to any gym at the end of January and find people who are quitting and discouraged because they had unrealistic expectations at the beginning.

You clearly have some unresolved issues here, so I won't bother replying to your tantrums anymore.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
I am gonna buy this for a morning workout before going to work thing, it seems like a nice way to get the day started

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
are the people claiming theyre two different people joking? lmao
i seriously can't tell sometimes

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I don't want to get into every detail because I understand this is just hearsay to everyone else, but living with my sister in a small apartment, I saw with my own eyes that she wasn't cheating or sloppily measuring, she was absolutely at a significant to massive calorie deficit for well over a year without losing weight or dropping clothes sizes. Unfortunately when she shared with others her frustration at a lack of results, she would often be disbelieved because "that would violate the laws of thermodynamics" and such, repeatedly told by she must be counting wrong or cheating somehow. Understandably frustrating for her when I know how incredibly diligent and unwavering she was.
If she was not losing fat tissue then her nutrition was providing her all the energy she needed. Thus, she was not a "significant to massive" calorie deficit. That said, no one should be focused on losing weight for well over a year, you should cycle between goals. Do a 6 weeks program where you build up your strength, then spend 2 weeks in a caloric deficit, go back to building up strength, 2 weeks of weight loss, then focus on improving your agility etc.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

That's really interesting. Apologies if I offended as well, that is a really unfortunate situation for her. I wonder what the deal is then.

Oct 26, 2017
The guy is a member of our group. I don't know how did this get blown up. It started on that Nintendosoup site hahaha.

It's Soup, they get news from our FB group without permission. They're also banned here so go figure that they post this as news with an overblown headline. People from the group post them everyday which is very grating.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
30 days is not very long at all and his change is probably due to changing his diet habits ... which probably started when he decided to play the game, thats what would actually create a drastic change not a daily workout of that nagnitude

Yes, 100% this. As someone who went through a similar transformation a couple of years ago it was the joint decision of diet change and exercise. The daily exercise assisted in the diet change as they went hand in hand...once I had completed training all i could think is I'm not going to ruin this by now eating trash.

You have to go with both to see a transformation like this in 30 days.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The salt in this thread is so odd and misplaced.

This kid clearly has a more toned body and slimmer face. Exercise + diet can easily change your body pretty fast. While exercise may seem to be a small part of the equation when you only take into account the calories burnt when exercising, side effects like a higher metabolism when resting, the shift in mental clarity and heightened energy levels play a much bigger part than people realize. Dieting on a calorie deficit alone is much harder if you need to lose more than just a pound or two.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
The salt in this thread is so odd and misplaced.

This kid clearly has a more toned body and slimmer face. Exercise + diet can easily change your body pretty fast. While exercise may seem to be a small part of the equation when you only take into account the calories burnt when exercising, side effects like a higher metabolism when resting, the shift in mental clarity and heightened energy levels play a much bigger part than people realize. Dieting on a calorie deficit alone is much harder if you need to lose more than just a pound or two.

People are salty because switch fit is sold out and they can't experience this life changing experience./s

I really don't get why people get salty over people getting fit and In shape. This happen in that Marvel thread too where a lot of people are trying to downplay the achievements of the actors.

Off topic (I think?) Ring fit is decent work out and it's addicting as hell too. I can definitely see people managing to lose weight and get fitter due to how enjoyable it is. I don't enjoy physical training (even when the government pay me as part of Ipt or RT) but I need to train in order to meet my pass my annual physical test as a local Singaporean male and this game definitely helps motivate me to workout more.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt play ringfit myself, but from the videos ive seen, it doesnt look like itd give you a workout harder than a low to mid intensity steady state cardio session.

Steady state cardio wont change your body composition if not supported by good nutrition and strenght training

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i pretty much doubt that's the result just from the game and just in one month.

hell i would doubt it if the game literally liposuctioned the fat out of the user why he plays