• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So he changed his T-shirt into a more flattering one?

Please tell me where to get a T-shirt that carves a half inch of fat off one's jawline.

I swear, you people. There's a noticeable difference. It's no Kumail Marvel selfie but the kid has made progress, let him be happy about it. Christ.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.vox.com

Why you shouldn't exercise to lose weight, explained with 60+ studies

Physical activity may have less to do with weight loss than we think.

This article is describing scenarios where you exercise in a way which doesn't build any fitness or muscle, and then eat more, offsetting the gains. I guess that does apply to ring fit, but in general anybody who has ever been athletic before knows how transformative working out and building muscle is for your health (and weight!) over the longterm.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Didnt the guy from fat head eat nothing but mcdonalds and fries and lose 30 pounds? As well as the professor that went on a whole twinky diet?

Both of those are examples of changing your diet. If you start consciously consuming less calories than what you usually eat, even if the food is slowly gonna destroy your body and is largely unsustainable hunger-wise, then you've changed your diet.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
This article is describing scenarios where you exercise in a way which doesn't build any fitness or muscle, and then eat more, offsetting the gains. I guess that does apply to ring fit, but in general anybody who has ever been athletic before knows how transformative working out and building muscle is for your health (and weight!) over the longterm.
That's an embarrassingly reductive reading of that article.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Good god the salt here from people who think Ringfit is being maligned could give you a heart attack.

However this guy lost weight, I hope he keeps it up. If it's from playing the game, keep on playing. Exercise and diet are equally important. Good on Nintendo for continuing to make these kinds of games.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I haven't seen results like that but after playing the game on and off for about a month. I can attest that it will transform your body more than you would think before getting it.

There are a lot of people in here who have clearly never played the game or know how it works. The disbelief at any form of physical transformation without changing his diet is insane. The game makes you do multiple sets of 15-20 per move to kill monsters and you have multiple encounter each level. Even playing for thirty minutes a day (+stretching and warmup), you would be doing substantial training.
I played this game for a bit at the highest difficulty. This game will kick your ass and give you a great workout if you are consistent. The game won't baby you, it will flat out give you difficult sets that you won't want to do when you are at the gym every dang level.

Also this game is great and honestly a contender for my 2019 game of the year. (Yea yea I know it's 2020 now but I'm still playing stuff that came out in 2019 so I'm not done deciding). It's rare for me to find anything that so easily and consistently knocks away a lot of the negativity and toxicity with working out. The amount of times I've heard friends or co workers complain about their workouts. Or see them finish their stuff then bad mouth how they preformed and how embarrassed they are with how they did. is depressing and I know everyone reading this thread has heard the same things too. But Ring Fit doesn't care about those problems. Instead it gets you feeling happy and excited about working out! It gives everyone that positive encouragement they deserve when they work out. No shaming, no smack talk, it won't even let you get yourself down by comparing you to other people (like we all like to do). It just wants you to have fun with a great workout.

Last edited:

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I picked this up as a quick daily workout. today is gonna be day one

Cool for him to lose weight, but I'm sure he's dieting as well as enjoying the game.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Please tell me where to get a T-shirt that carves a half inch of fat off one's jawline.

I swear, you people. There's a noticeable difference. It's no Kumail Marvel selfie but the kid has made progress, let him be happy about it. Christ.
There's barely any difference between the 2 pictures.

"Let him be happy about it", who's preventing that? I'm just saying OP made a click-bait title, that's all.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
There's barely any difference between the 2 pictures.

"Let him be happy about it", who's preventing that? I'm just saying OP made a click-bait title, that's all.
I assumed the OP was joking. That's a minor transformation at best, which is why I believed it could be caused by simply playing the game and burning more calories.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'm always dubious when before and after weight loss pics are taken from different angles and in different clothes. Makes me think of those dodgy advertisements in the back of magazines.

Does RFA estimate how many calories you've burned?

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I should search some photos from before I began playing this game.
It should be fun considering I lost 12kg since I began playing it.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Reading the guys own quote, he obviously changed his diet as well. Good for him.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always dubious when before and after weight loss pics are taken from different angles and in different clothes. Makes me think of those dodgy advertisements in the back of magazines.

Does RFA estimate how many calories you've burned?
Yes. It also constantly reminds you that it's an estimate. People seem to be upset that 20 minutes of Ring Fit isn't the same as P90X though.

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO some of the skepticism in here.

He didn't need to lose something extreme like 50-100 lbs. He's overweight by 20-30 lbs. He clearly lost something in between there.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Exercise is awesome. Ring Fit is awesome. A healthy diet is awesome. Weight loss is awesome. Weight loss results primarily from diet but the healthy lifestyle that comes from diet combined with exercise is super awesome.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So in only 30 days he has ... lost his glasses?
I'm currently on day 33 in RingFit Adventure with a total tracked exercise time of 30+ hours and tracked burnt calories of ~12k.
Awesome game, but I'm sure he lost more weight because of changing his diet habits and not because of exercising 25 min a day.
Also doesn't seem like he lost "shocking" amounts of weight anyway because his "before pic" wasn't that bad compared the the "after".

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I've been messing around with RFA, it's honestly awesome and probably the best "gamification" of fitness I've ever seen. Of course it needs to be combined with a healthy diet (which the game repeatedly encourages btw) to have a substantial effect on weight, but even a small amount of exercise is much better than none.

Era is so oddly cynical about this game, it's weird.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Have you compared its estimates with a smart watch / fitbit?
Yep. Apple Watch and general calculators. The Apple Watch and online calculators are generally pretty close to each other. I'm not sure if RFA is calculating weight versus calories correctly.

I don't mind, because they're all just guesses and there's no real way to get it perfect, but it seems pretty poor in that regard. It's a good product, and I enjoy it, but it's way off for me.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's literally calories in calories out for losing weight, especially when you hardly have any muscle. It's not even a case of eating well, you can eat shit and as long as it doesn't add up to X amount of calories, you're losing weight.

He probably just ate the same as normal, but the increased calorie expenditure caused him to lose weight, big shocker.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
InsecureGroundedHammerheadshark-size_restricted.gif

Sep 29, 2019
I don't really get why people are being so hard on him. Losing weight can be really hard for a lot of people, and it's something that i myself has been struggling with too, after losing and regaining all the work i did in 2018/2019. Maybe it was a bit hyperbole of the title, but definetly there is a difference.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of him losing weight or not. If the game is helping him sustain a better mindset, and is actively helping him in other parts of life, and aiding him in reaching fitness / life goal - it is doing amazing work. And he is too.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
🙄
Hate comments like this. Not everyone wants to conform to your hench body ideal. If you aggressively said that a woman needs to sort any part of her body out you'd be rightly dogpiled.

Assholes who sanctimoniously claim that Ringfit isn't real excercise are gonna be the new "people who enjoy Rock Band should stop wasting time and learn to play a real guitar"

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
good job. perhaps he actually hit some ny resolution target already.

i bought this game for my brother and his family. i kind of want to jack it and see what it can do for me. i could do with losing 5-10lbs but im lazy and seem to be unable to go longer than a few months on any kind of workout regime. this might help a little on those lazy days.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Is RingFit a bad option for someone who lives in an upper-floor apartment (i.e. stomping)?

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Glad the usual weight loss gurus of resetera have set this OP and his very misleading article straight.

/s

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally calories in calories out for losing weight,
I used to think this until I saw for myself how astonishingly little my obsessively diligent calorie-counting sister ate for an incredibly long period of time and still lost barely any weight. Now I suspect there may be more than one singular variable in play when it comes to the processes of the human body at least for some people.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I cut down from eating 3 hamburgers a day to just 1 and I lost 3 pounds last year, so eating less definitely makes you lose weight, exercise is not needed.