• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh dang. I was supposed to come here and tell peeps that yeah. It's getting a lot better. All clear on the health issues but it did take some toll on my energy levels and that sort of stuff.

I'm all clear to work out and to do things normally, but I still tire out pretty fast. Getting there slowly and steadily :)

I've played my adventure henceforth only few times. Been doing walks and really light jogging as well as some other stuff.

It's great that you are on the mend, big pussycat 👍. I'm glad that you are taking things steadily and not rushing back into exercising like a madman!

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Always glad to see this thread pop up with new activity. Reminds me I should play this game when I got some time, especially this weekend for some added workout lol.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, going back on this after around 8 days off was certainly no easy task. I felt pretty wiped out after just 15 minutes.

There's also no need for how many squats world 10 throws upon you, pure evil

Deleted member 3868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hit level 100 - at the end of world 12, difficulty 28, sweating hard. My goal is to comfortably get the difficulty up to 30, and then push my endurance as much as I can. At the moment I'm getting around 20 to 30 minutes per session before collapsing. No idea if I'm doing this the wrong way around (difficulty before duration), but I'm able to bounce back daily.

I added overhead squats, and they've made me feel like my standard squat posture has been incorrect. The demonstration for overhead squats has the character's back and arms completely vertical while squatting. I feel like I can't get to that position while I'm holding onto the ring con. My shoulders come forward a bit, causing my arms to do the same - a wider grip would probably make it easier to pull off. Anyone else get this feeling?

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I do; my torso leans forward to counterbalance the weight going backwards in my legs. I struggle with the overhead squat and avoid it unless I am forced to do it. I try to avoid squats in general though due to my knees.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Had to take a rest day today. I've been doing 20-30 minutes a day for the last 10 days. This morning my daughter woke me up at 6am saying "time for your exercises", I rolled out of bed and my thighs immediately said "yeah, no way". I've probably been overdoing it a little because I've been enjoying it so much. Will try again tomorrow.

I also sold a friend at work on the game. He's getting married soon and wants to get a little fitter. I told him all about it and he ordered a copy right away. I should be getting a commission from Nintendo.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Had to take a rest day today. I've been doing 20-30 minutes a day for the last 10 days. This morning my daughter woke me up at 6am saying "time for your exercises", I rolled out of bed and my thighs immediately said "yeah, no way". I've probably been overdoing it a little because I've been enjoying it so much. Will try again tomorrow.

I also sold a friend at work on the game. He's getting married soon and wants to get a little fitter. I told him all about it and he ordered a copy right away. I should be getting a commission from Nintendo.

It's definitely easy to overdo it, especially in the early game where you tend to repeat the same movements over and over.

Don't forget about the other modes though! You can have an "active rest day" by doing a Custom Workout with a whole bunch of stretches and yoga moves to help your body work out the tension!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
It's definitely easy to overdo it, especially in the early game where you tend to repeat the same movements over and over.

Don't forget about the other modes though! You can have an "active rest day" by doing a Custom Workout with a whole bunch of stretches and yoga moves to help your body work out the tension!

That's an excellent idea - will give it a try. Thanks :)

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why did I start with insane, holy shit I wanna throw up, I'm gonna die. 0_o oh ye angels will you even lift... Me to heaven

Also that was my first time... Working out in months oh god

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019

I had also told about this game to a friend of mine on Saturday because I know that she had Wii Fit and I told her that RFA is waaay better than Wii Fit but I don't know if she will buy it. It's 320euros for Switch and 70euros for the game ~= 400euros which will be only for this game because she will not play other games. She wants also to go to gyms and dances and to meet new people, talk, etc. Inside the house, she cannot meet other people as she told me. Pity, because it's a great game for fitness. I, on the other hand, I like inside the house. I play the game whenever I want, I do as like as I want and I don't need to make new friends.. In gyms etc you don't go to talk but to make exercises. Women have different points of view..

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I am on the verge of 'finishing' the Adventure mode and have been avoiding doing so over the last few days as I still have stuff to do and my completionist compulsion is not allowing me to leave anything undone. I assume that my progress in the following will be unaffected and will just carry over to the NG as is:
  • skill tree unlocks/still to unlock
  • catalog (ingredients, smoothies & clothing)
  • titles (500+ planks etc)
  • rankings in 'everybody's records'
What about the courses or gyms that I am yet to complete? I have 20 odd of those still to do. Can I 'finish' the game, start NG and still go back to do those or do I need to get those done beforehand?

Buttonbasher paranoodle You have both gone past this point so I wonder if you would be able to put my mind at ease, please.

Why did I start with insane, holy shit I wanna throw up, I'm gonna die. 0_o oh ye angels will you even lift... Me to heaven

Also that was my first time... Working out in months oh god

LOL The first three worlds are a gentle introduction to the game so you might want to lower the difficulty level a tad! Good to have you with us though.

I had also told about this game to a friend of mine on Saturday because I know that she had Wii Fit and I told her that RFA is waaay better than Wii Fit but I don't know if she will buy it. It's 320euros for Switch and 70euros for the game ~= 400euros which will be only for this game because she will not play other games. She wants also to go to gyms and dances and to meet new people, talk, etc. Inside the house, she cannot meet other people as she told me. Pity, because it's a great game for fitness. I, on the other hand, I like inside the house. I play the game whenever I want, I do as like as I want and I don't need to make new friends.. In gyms etc you don't go to talk but to make exercises. Women have different points of view..

Yeah, RFA is great for removing the barriers to entry to exercise. There is no way I would have made the progress that I have made in the last couple of months if I had joined a gym or exercise class as I just would not have got anything like as much work in. Your friend has other priorities though which is fair enough. She might reconsider it down the line though.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL The first three worlds are a gentle introduction to the game so you might want to lower the difficulty level a tad! Good to have you with us though.

I think I'm gonna start with moderate instead of intense while my body is pure goo. It's funny I was in good shape like 4 months ago and let it drop because of gym fees and yet I already feel like I'm starting from scratch..... But that's a good thing

The fact I feel like goo means this is a good workout so I'm super optimistic about this game. I've also never done a proper squat in my life and oh my God my soul hurts

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I think I'm gonna start with moderate instead of intense while my body is pure goo. It's funny I was in good shape like 4 months ago and let it drop because of gym fees and yet I already feel like I'm starting from scratch..... But that's a good thing

The fact I feel like goo means this is a good workout so I'm super optimistic about this game. I've also never done a proper squat in my life and oh my God my soul hurts

LOL I know that feel. Don't worry though, you'll soon get back into exercising regularly again and you'll make good progress back to your previous fitness level much quicker than if you had never reached that point. Have fun! 🐱

You can switch between normal game and NG anytime. NG unlocks basically an additional story path in your navigation menu.

Oh that is fantastic! I love you!

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
My ringcon started acting weird a couple weeks ago - it would only stay calibrated for a few seconds once I started moving around. I tried everything to fix it. Eventually, a person from Nintendo support had me send in my right joycon for repair. I just got it back and the game works perfectly again! Nintendo fixed my broken joycon for free even though my Switch was out of warranty. Back in action! I'm on day 18 in the game and loving it.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Welcome back Agent Matt that must have been very frustrating waiting for the joycon to come back. At least it didn't cost you anything to have repaired.

NG GET! I won't spoil anything but I have to say that the endgame of the Adventure mode and how it transitions to a NG is extremely well-considered and designed. I am not sure how much better they could have done things. I am now in world '2' of my NG playthrough and failed a gym 😲 . I am going to have to git gud at the minigames, obviously.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
NG GET! I won't spoil anything but I have to say that the endgame of the Adventure mode and how it transitions to a NG is extremely well-considered and designed. I am not sure how much better they could have done things. I am now in world '2' of my NG playthrough and failed a gym 😲 . I am going to have to git gud at the minigames, obviously.

This is awesome to hear! Today I started going through World 10, and I'm at level 80, and was just thinking to myself "How much longer is this game? Hope I got lots to see, yet, and that there's a NG"

You might get surprised by how your body acclimatizes to some exercises. The first time I had to do one called the Mountain Climber, I had to stop playing and just lie down because I was sweating and feeling like I had to throw up

Now, I have Mountain Climber in my regular rotation and do that no sweat.

Still trying to get to that level of ease with wide squats. Regular squats feel like warm-ups to the wide variety o_o

Last edited:

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just "unlocked" wide squats for the first time today, world 5 I think? They instantly replaced planks as my least favourite exercise :)

I can understand the hate! They are really challenging, and you feel such a burn if you don't pause in between

Planks are awesome because they're discretely an excuse for you to hump the floor and have a laugh lol

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I'm glad people are still on the RFA train. I'm always impressed with Nintendo when they do peripherals.
Does anyone know how to stand to get the squat calibration right?
If I'm in a normal position I feel like they want me to go WAY lower than normal to get the proper form bonus.
Same for the super ab guard and probably wide squat (will try that tonight, just got it).

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people are still on the RFA train. I'm always impressed with Nintendo when they do peripherals.
Does anyone know how to stand to get the squat calibration right?
If I'm in a normal position I feel like they want me to go WAY lower than normal to get the proper form bonus.
Same for the super ab guard and probably wide squat (will try that tonight, just got it).

I think the trick to those ones is that you have to make the effort to stick your rear end out backwards when you do the motion. Simply crouching as if you were picking up a coin off the sidewalk isn't what the game is looking for. You want to try to make that 90 degree angle between your thighs and calves

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Please do not paint us all with the same brush.

Sincerely, a woman who loves to stay in and spend time alone. :)

I just "unlocked" wide squats for the first time today, world 5 I think? They instantly replaced planks as my least favourite exercise :)
I can understand the hate! They are really challenging, and you feel such a burn if you don't pause in between
Wide squats are one of my favourite exercises! Come at me!

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Day 2 was already a little bit easier than day 1.... Purely because I was mentally prepared to do it. I'm keeping it on intense because I'm stupid (18 I think) but holy shit I feel this game. Might take a day off in between. Play it 4 times a week. If I can get in shape enough I'd like to go running outside in the world, right now I don't think I'd have the energy to handle the weather

woo

Nov 11, 2017
oreomunsta There is month's worth of consistent exercise in RFA if one is of a mind to do so. Exercise is hard work so inevitably there will be some amount of people 'dropping out' but RFA cannot be accused of lacking content, that's for sure. Also, I noticed in the settings that there is an option to delete one's progress in the Adventure mode and completely start from scratch whilst retaining one's exercise records, minigame scores, My Menu and difficulty level settings. I have put that to the back of my mind as a possible route to take after I have cleared my NG playthrough
and then my NG+ playthrough, if I have not killed myself with over-exercising by then

Squats are my favorite. The slow yoga moves are my least.

Hello, opposite me!

Hamrub LOL tell her to have a slice for me. It takes far too much hard work with exercise and disciplined food intake to lose weight for me to even be tempted to do such a thing. I suppose you could tell her that she needs to do another 232 sessions of burning off 15 calories just to lose a single pound in weight but the pizza has probably negated that just by itself. She might get discouraged by that and eat another pizza to comfort herself though, lol. Oh well, at least she's moving her body which is a start!

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019
Please do not paint us all with the same brush.

Sincerely, a woman who loves to stay in and spend time alone. :)

I am sorry Ghost. Correction: Some women have different points of view..
I like this type of women like you. :)
I am not antisocial but when you go to exercise your body, you don't need any excuses like company, talk to other people etc. I was going to swimming pool for 6 years and now due to RFA, I stopped on December. In swimming pool, I would like to have exercises and not to speak to other persons. Some women were talking inside the pool and had a conversation for many minutes, despite the fact that they were just swimming like babies. Haha.. Now I am trying to see if RFA alone will have an impact on me and thankfully I have seen some improvements. Even on work today my colleagues said that I have lost too much weight! My mission is to lose belly fat and secondary objective is to have a better posture. I know of course that if I have to lose fat, I need to have a diet too but I am trying both of them. :) :) :)

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I think the trick to those ones is that you have to make the effort to stick your rear end out backwards when you do the motion. Simply crouching as if you were picking up a coin off the sidewalk isn't what the game is looking for. You want to try to make that 90 degree angle between your thighs and calves

Thank you, I feel like I'm doing that but my thighs are probably not parallel to the floor and it's not catching the sensor correctly. It seems like the game does some small adjustments after the first rep to really tune in your range of movement though.

I did day 21 last night and I'm already noticing differences.
RFA hits an area that my other exercise (yoga and kendo) doesn't and I'm excited to get to NG+.

Long term what's the best strategy to keep going? Clear your Adventure progress and keep your records or start doing custom workouts?
Are there any pre-made workouts or do you need to make everything manually?

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Does this game actually succeed in getting you somewhat in shape? I'm 27, and kind of skinny fat (6"3, 207lbs). I always day dream about exercising more but I have huge issues when it comes to actually getting off my butt and doing stuff. I'm sedentary pretty much all day every day. Reason I ask is because there is one copy of this left at Walmart for $69 and I'm hoping if I pull the trigger, it'll do the trick in getting me to do some exercise on a daily basis. I want to lose some weight and get into shape but the reason I'm on the fence is because there aren't any weights involved. Skimming pages, I'm seeing a lot of posts with you guys talking about how awesome the game is, but what are the results looking like?

Should I just do it?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
UGH! Can I not leave the joycon in the Ringcon without it draining the battery? I had my switch off then went to use the ring con today to find it out of battery completely. Very annoying.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Thank you, I feel like I'm doing that but my thighs are probably not parallel to the floor and it's not catching the sensor correctly. It seems like the game does some small adjustments after the first rep to really tune in your range of movement though.

I did day 21 last night and I'm already noticing differences.
RFA hits an area that my other exercise (yoga and kendo) doesn't and I'm excited to get to NG+.

Long term what's the best strategy to keep going? Clear your Adventure progress and keep your records or start doing custom workouts?
Are there any pre-made workouts or do you need to make everything manually?

Nice progress :). The best strategy is whatever works for you tbh. The most important aspect of any fitness routine is that the individual keeps it up. My usage is almost 100% Adventure mode but sometimes I feel like a break from the push forward and go back to courses or gyms I have skipped for whatever reason and try and clear those. I have completed a lot of requests that way. Now that I am on my NG playthrough I am drawn to delving into the two middle game modes that I have almost completely neglected just for a change of pace. I certainly need to git gud at some of the minigames just so I can clear some of my outstanding requests. Working on sets or custom routines will be a nice change of pace too. Essentially you can play it however you like so you don't lack for options if the adventure mode starts to feel like a bit of a grind. Yes, there are pre-made workouts but you can also select exercises manually. You are still quite early on (day 21) so you don't have to even think about clearing your progress and completely re-starting the Adventure mode; that is months of consistent play away!

Does this game actually succeed in getting you somewhat in shape? I'm 27, and kind of skinny fat (6"3, 207lbs). I always day dream about exercising more but I have huge issues when it comes to actually getting off my butt and doing stuff. I'm sedentary pretty much all day every day. Reason I ask is because there is one copy of this left at Walmart for $69 and I'm hoping if I pull the trigger, it'll do the trick in getting me to do some exercise on a daily basis. I want to lose some weight and get into shape but the reason I'm on the fence is because there aren't any weights involved. Skimming pages, I'm seeing a lot of posts with you guys talking about how awesome the game is, but what are the results looking like?

Should I just do it?

Absolutely yes, it does succeed in getting one into shape. You are me three months ago but half the age and considerably taller! I started day one on RFA on the lowest difficulty of one as I had been seriously sedentary for about 20 years. However, even the dynamic warm up had me feeling pooped and I only managed about 10 minutes of exercise in my first session. Now I can handle an hour or more of actual exercise time, several days running. I've lost over 20 pounds in weight, several inches off my waist and am getting compliments from those who know me on the improvement in my appearance. You still have to put the work in, it's not a magic pill but for an exercise routine that involves work, it's a lot of fun and the RPG element makes it quite addictive. My advice would be to pick it up!

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Absolutely yes, it does succeed in getting one into shape. You are me three months ago but half the age and considerably taller! I started day one on RFA on the lowest difficulty of one as I had been seriously sedentary for about 20 years. However, even the dynamic warm up had me feeling pooped and I only managed about 10 minutes of exercise in my first session. Now I can handle an hour or more of actual exercise time, several days running. I've lost over 20 pounds in weight, several inches off my waist and am getting compliments from those who know me on the improvement in my appearance. You still have to put the work in, it's not a magic pill but for an exercise routine that involves work, it's a lot of fun and the RPG element makes it quite addictive. My advice would be to pick it up!

Cool! I'll take your word for it. I went ahead and ordered the game for inshore pickup and I'm excited to give it a shot with my wife this evening after dinner! I'm honestly pretty pretty excited

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Cool! I'll take your word for it. I went ahead and ordered the game for inshore pickup and I'm excited to give it a shot with my wife this evening after dinner! I'm honestly pretty pretty excited

Good man; you still need to put the work in though and for best results, watch what you eat. Looking forward to your impressions!

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Nice progress :). The best strategy is whatever works for you tbh. The most important aspect of any fitness routine is that the individual keeps it up. My usage is almost 100% Adventure mode but sometimes I feel like a break from the push forward and go back to courses or gyms I have skipped for whatever reason and try and clear those. I have completed a lot of requests that way. Now that I am on my NG playthrough I am drawn to delving into the two middle game modes that I have almost completely neglected just for a change of pace. I certainly need to git gud at some of the minigames just so I can clear some of my outstanding requests. Working on sets or custom routines will be a nice change of pace too. Essentially you can play it however you like so you don't lack for options if the adventure mode starts to feel like a bit of a grind. Yes, there are pre-made workouts but you can also select exercises manually. You are still quite early on (day 21) so you don't have to even think about clearing your progress and completely re-starting the Adventure mode; that is months of consistent play away!

I'm glad to hear that I have months to go, I haven't read anything about NG+ because the story is good and I want to ride the ride. My SO loves the game too. I missed out on Wii Fit but I read that RFA is a lot more engaging.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

Find a difficulty that isn't too easy too. Ideally you want to feel a bit of a struggle in each workout, but don't gauge it too much on the first couple days. Depending on your fitness level you might be fine putting it all the way up to 25-28 (out of 30), but just be sure to increase it every day if it's not killing you. You'll know when you have it high enough when you have to start taking breaks to complete exercises. The difficulty changes the amount of reps you do in the exercises, so the higher you make it the more effective the exercises will be (because you'll do a lot more of them).

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Haven't posted here in a long time (we had a baby in December).

I still try to get 20mins in per day and actually manage to that 3 times a week lol

Great to hear that NG is fire.
Am at Lv 140, World 17ish right now and will soon hit NG

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

This is really inspiring :)

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Omg I just cleared the "Valley of Wishes" world

The Scarecruel, the Cowardly Strongman, and the Toned Man all on a quest to get their wishes granted

"protean shaker"

"You got the thenthures!"

I love this game's silly humour.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
okay so i bought the game.

holy. crap. world 1 owned me. i barely beat the boss lmao

i think i went a little too hard on the difficulty. i think i had it set to level 12 or 13, and was having trouble toward the end. might bump it down a couple notches next time and work my way up. i also really need to work on the posture. this was the first time in my life i had ever done any kind of squat.

what do i do when it asks me to press the ring around my abs? push into my body and tighten my abs?

all in all, i'm glad i bought this so far. i gotta make myself stick with it and create a routine

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
what do i do when it asks me to press the ring around my abs? push into my body and tighten my abs?
Yeah, you want to keep your back straight and press in while you tighten your abs. I think you're doing it right if your abs are pushing into the ring when you exhale (well, pushing in more than they should be the whole time). It's kind of like doing a crunch while standing, but you don't really want to lean forward.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been doing simple workouts and sets the last few weeks with my wife and sprinkle in some mini games when I need a rest in between sets. I haven't started the actual game yet but is it true that progress in the game unlocks more sets? I prefer the sets as they allow the wife and I to take turns easily.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I've been doing simple workouts and sets the last few weeks with my wife and sprinkle in some mini games when I need a rest in between sets. I haven't started the actual game yet but is it true that progress in the game unlocks more sets? I prefer the sets as they allow the wife and I to take turns easily.

Yes, you unlock quite a few different sets of exercises as you progress through the game.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm glad to hear that I have months to go, I haven't read anything about NG+ because the story is good and I want to ride the ride. My SO loves the game too. I missed out on Wii Fit but I read that RFA is a lot more engaging.

It certainly is more engaging than Wii Fit and has tons more longevity. Nintendo really learned from Wii Fit's weaknesses.

This is really inspiring :)

😊

I unlocked a request that requires a perfect score on Dreadmill.

Fuck. That.

I know that feel! I recently went back to do some Dreadmill requests and managed them okay though funnily enough. Putting off horrible tasks and going back to them later when one is fitter FTW!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I am still early on in my NG playthrough but even though the enemy difficulty levels scale to be much stronger than they were when I originally played them in my first Adventure mode playthrough everything feels so much easier now because I am stronger and fitter. For example, I would almost always jog through courses at a sedate pace and avoid lifting my knees to get through pools if I could help it. Now I can run at a brisk pace and lift my knees without any issue 😁 . Like someone said earlier ITT, NG feels almost like a victory tour. Also, the brisk running feels good. At some point I think I shall take it outside and take up jogging/running. I think that I shall put that off until I am stronger and slimmer though. I have lost a bunch of weight and that definitely makes RFA easier given that I am not having to shift so much excess baggage. If I lose the same amount as I have already lost and get in the right weight area for my age, height and sex then it will be even easier. Thank God for the two hype threads here that turned me on to the game and away from my initial meh reaction when I saw the RFA promo video.