• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Link_enfant Leggings wearer here and I rarely have an issue with strap slippage. I wear a pair of Under Armour compression leggings so quite 'slippery' material so you should be okay.

Oct 27, 2017
The jogging segments between exercising are generally pretty short (like 1-2 minutes), and usually varied to the point I don't think they'd work on a treadmill (high knee lifts, squats, manipulating the ring con while doing the walking might be disastrous too (trying to aim for items, jumping etc). They're really pretty short though, I'd give it another try. If you use random exercise selection you'll find the battles takes at least 3x as long as the jogging.

Yeah, I'm on world 5 or something like that so I'm familiar with the typical level's variety.

The game generally doesn't let you start exercises either unless you're remaining still, so mixing treadmill while doing overhead presses means you'd need to stop the treadmill between every exercise too. To me it just doesn't sound like it'd work out, but maybe someone else has figured it out.

This I didn't know about though, I guess that does make it too inconvenient. I figured you could do arm workouts while still walking. Thanks for the reply.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This I didn't know about though, I guess that does make it too inconvenient. I figured you could do arm workouts while still walking. Thanks for the reply.

You could probably do the multitasking mode if you're coordinated enough, where you can do up to 500 reps or something of ring con presses for extra experience which is just done outside of the game. But I can't see much more than that myself, at least I don't have the dexterity needed to do more!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Still, after every time I do planks:

Ring: You made it!
Me: I'm not so sure about that...

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019
Ring Fit Adventure has sold until now (Jan 30 2020) 2.17 million copies ! Very very good results ! It has even beat other games, such as Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc. :-) :-) :-)

Source

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The genius of this game strikes once again, my left arm is aching like hell and I have a workout to do tonight, no problem, re-jig my Fitness Skills to avoid the arms and away we go 😁

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I genuinely struggle with planks and I know it's because I have a long way to go with my general fitness, for some reason my shoulders and arms start to ache before my core does, but I've checked my form and it appears good 🤷‍♂️

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've barely done any planks on this game for some reason. I think when the option came up to set them as a skill, I choose not to.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting this game, how much space(size of area) will I need to play it?

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda the same amount of space for playing a proper game of Wii Sports Tennis. I have more trouble doing the cool-down stretches due to not having much space either side of me but its fine really. For some of the moves you'll be needing to sit down with your legs stretched out in front of you too.

A question: when quitting the game, is the only way to get the joycons back to their normal configuration to go all the way into the 'grip/controller settings' of the Switch? No matter what I do, the left joycon sets itself fine, but the right joycon gets stuck in single-player-horizontal mode unless I go out of my way in the controller settings to re-synch everything. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Hit 1000 planks this morning. Might be my proudest achievement in gaming history.

Justifiably so; nicely done!

So I'm thinking of getting this game, how much space(size of area) will I need to play it?

Enough room to stand with your arms stretched above your head, bend a couple of feet to each side and lie down on the floor, full length. That's it.

Kinda the same amount of space for playing a proper game of Wii Sports Tennis. I have more trouble doing the cool-down stretches due to not having much space either side of me but its fine really. For some of the moves you'll be needing to sit down with your legs stretched out in front of you too.

A question: when quitting the game, is the only way to get the joycons back to their normal configuration to go all the way into the 'grip/controller settings' of the Switch? No matter what I do, the left joycon sets itself fine, but the right joycon gets stuck in single-player-horizontal mode unless I go out of my way in the controller settings to re-synch everything. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

When I'm finished I just go into sleep mode and that seems to do the trick. Your use case might differ though.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to get this I'm just curious if there's an end or is this really a workout tool that can be used in perpetuity?

Also, I assume it's okay if I'm not standing directly in front of the TV? Based on my setup I'd need to be diagonal to it or perpendicular.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I'm about to get this I'm just curious if there's an end or is this really a workout tool that can be used in perpetuity?

Also, I assume it's okay if I'm not standing directly in front of the TV? Based on my setup I'd need to be diagonal to it or perpendicular.

I just started Ring Fit myself yesterday so I can't answer your first question, but you definitely don't need to be directly in front of the TV - the way my living room is laid out, I have to stand to one side as well and had no problems.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

There is an end to the story mode yes, but then there's a NG and NG+ if you so desire to keep going.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Karish There are a couple of modes other than the main Adventure mode where one could work out in perpetuity so essentially, yes. Plus as Jonnykong said there is NG and NG++ so the Adventure mode hardly lacks longevity. Also, I am still on my first playthrough of the Adventure mode and I have been playing for weeks, most days, and am still not in danger of finishing it.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
this game is no joke

65de13172dfec8c05cc4c03fd237ec22.jpg

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Lol yeah I'm definitely getting a good sweat going at times.

My wife and I like to do a lot of hiking but this year we haven't been out much until today and we both noticed the difference in our leg and core strength. It was a lot easier than normal after just three weeks with Ring Fit.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Holy shit World 13. What a butt kicking!

Do you think Nintendo would add other accessories if they choose to do DLC? I was thinking about weather some kind of weighted hand grips would be practical or not. Or maybe something like the Wii balance board?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit World 13. What a butt kicking!

Do you think Nintendo would add other accessories if they choose to do DLC? I was thinking about weather some kind of weighted hand grips would be practical or not. Or maybe something like the Wii balance board?

I don't know about other accessories, they haven't given us extra peripherals for anything yet have they? This and Labo are joycon only so far.

I think we're more likely to see more software for it first.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have issues getting both joycons to connect after exiting the game? Seems only one of them (can't remember which) stays connected afterwards, and even hitting the shoulder button like the icon on the screen indicated doesn't connect it.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Is the progression laid out in a way where you can sort of have a competition with someone else? As in, we would both be separately playing through the game and be able to somehow compare our progress/exercise in a meaningful way?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Is the progression laid out in a way where you can sort of have a competition with someone else? As in, we would both be separately playing through the game and be able to somehow compare our progress/exercise in a meaningful way?

You can add 'friends' who also play the game and compare your results with theirs IF you have the Nintendo Online sub. It also tells you how you compare to players in your birth year. For example, for users born in 1965 I have played the game for the ninth most length of time. It also tells you how you compare for individual exercises. For example, I am top 10 in one of the Warrior poses but much lower down the ranking for the Chair pose. If you don't have Nintendo Online then you would have to do it locally. This is the extent of the competitive aspect though which is probably enough; Nintendo don't want to get sued because users are allowing their competitive urges to overcome them and killing themselves.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have issues getting both joycons to connect after exiting the game? Seems only one of them (can't remember which) stays connected afterwards, and even hitting the shoulder button like the icon on the screen indicated doesn't connect it.
Yep, happens to me as well, but i just turn the Switch off at that point, so It doesn't bother me that much.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
You can add 'friends' who also play the game and compare your results with theirs IF you have the Nintendo Online sub. It also tells you how you compare to players in your birth year. For example, for users born in 1965 I have played the game for the ninth most length of time. It also tells you how you compare for individual exercises. For example, I am top 10 in one of the Warrior poses but much lower down the ranking for the Chair pose. If you don't have Nintendo Online then you would have to do it locally. This is the extent of the competitive aspect though which is probably enough; Nintendo don't want to get sued because users are allowing their competitive urges to overcome them and killing themselves.

We would both be playing on the same Switch, but using different profiles. Does that require Nintendo Online sub for both of us or does the game allow you to compare local profiles?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
There was a survey from Nintendo in my email this week about Ring Fit. Most questions were around has it impacted my exercise routine (yes), but in the final comments I said I hope they add DLC at some point.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else has difficulty in getting consistent GREAT's when doing the Mountain Climber, I figured out that if I take it slowly, and go one at a time, it will work.

I was trying to go through them quickly, and that was causing me a lot of detection hiccups

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, so I got this for Christmas and have been doing about 20-25 minutes of exercise most days since. All was fine for the first few weeks, but now recently (past week or two) my knees have started to hurt when I bend them. Not just while playing the game, but like, getting up in the morning, or crouching to get something from a cupboard, or whatever. So that seems... worrisome? Did playing this fuck up my knees? Should I stop for a while? Am I going to die?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
No, you are not going to die.

You are already dead.

Seriously though, giving your knees a break from the game would be my suggestion. You could continue with the game avoiding any leg work but if you've been playing it for several weeks most days then your body would probably be glad of a mini-break from it. All being well that would be all you would need. You have about a ten-day window of not playing RFA before you start to lose your fitness gains from RFA.

My left knee sometimes complains when playing the game if I am not careful enough with the exercise form but that knee has been problematical for many years from bad form with weights when I was younger. It doesn't stop me playing the game but I have to be careful with squat exercises so I don't aggravate it. I probably have a slight ligament 'strain' (which is a misnomer as that word means that there is a partial tear) but since I am not a professional athlete it is not a huge drama. My livelihood is not dependent on my knee being at 100% and it doesn't give me any pain unless I stress it awkwardly when playing RFA. Besides, RFA will strengthen all the muscles around it which is one of the therapeutic measures suggested to professional athletes who do rely on their knees and have such an injury e.g. American Football players. However, since I am in the UK I am going to mention it to my GP when I next see him to see if I am eligible for a scan on it to see exactly what is going on with it. I don't know where you are and what your healthcare system is but if a break from the game doesn't help you might want to consider some medical advice.

Good luck!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
As a programmer, I don't know if the robots in chapter 19 are supposed to be unintelligible still even with my set on or not because I totally understand the function calls and variable assignments they speak in but feel like someone not versed in coding wouldn't

woo

Nov 11, 2017
As a programmer, I don't know if the robots in chapter 19 are supposed to be unintelligible still even with my set on or not because I totally understand the function calls and variable assignments they speak in but feel like someone not versed in coding wouldn't

The answer to your first point becomes clear as you progress through that world
they are supposed to be unintelligible.

I am not versed in coding so those terms you mention mean nothing to me. Please tell me that the game is saying something incredibly smutty!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to your first point becomes clear as you progress through that world
they are supposed to be unintelligible.

I am not versed in coding so those terms you mention mean nothing to me. Please tell me that the game is saying something incredibly smutty!

In the cutscenes before they were talking in wululus. I put the full set on before talking to the villagers and they're saying stuff like "if (dragon == true) { skills = arms_only }" which is really simple to parse if you have basic programming knowledge but I feel like it would take other people a minute to figure out what they're saying. I expected them to just be saying stuff in plain english so it's neat to me that they're still talking "like a robot would."

woo

Nov 11, 2017
In the cutscenes before they were talking in wululus. I put the full set on before talking to the villagers and they're saying stuff like "if (dragon == true) { skills = arms_only }" which is really simple to parse if you have basic programming knowledge but I feel like it would take other people a minute to figure out what they're saying. I expected them to just be saying stuff in plain english so it's neat to me that they're still talking "like a robot would."

I haven't got to the end credits yet but I assume it was localised by Nintendo Treehouse. Their work is typically top-notch and often funny, of course. However, they don't seem to know what 'simultaneous' means given their misuse of that word in one of the gyms, which is unfortunate. I also don't like their use of 'stomach' instead of 'abs/abdominals' but then I am rather a grammar nazi, at heart.

EDIT - no, they do know what 'simultaneous' means. Apologies Treehouse, I misunderstood that gym but all done now.

Last edited:

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Anyone who can make it through the Abs Set in World 14 without having breaks throughout has my upmost respect.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I feel this game really pushes the joy-cons a lot, a couple of things I've noticed. A full-charge is always required, recently mine has started to miss movements halfway through a motion, when this happens the rumble seems to continue but the gyro is failing. One time the rumble seem to flip out and made a funny noise. My joy-cons are just over 2 years old.

I really worry about the longevity of my joy-cons after a few more months of this game lol

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this game really pushes the joy-cons a lot, a couple of things I've noticed. A full-charge is always required, recently mine has started to miss movements halfway through a motion, when this happens the rumble seems to continue but the gyro is failing. One time the rumble seem to flip out and made a funny noise. My joy-cons are just over 2 years old.

I really worry about the longevity of my joy-cons after a few more months of this game lol

I tend to play for around 20-30 mins a night and can go a full week or more without charging (maybe closer to 2 weeks? I'm really not sure exactly, but it does push them much harder than Hollow Knight or whatever - the rumble in RFA consists of a large amount of the playtime). I also don't have much trouble with registering any exercise and notice no difference in gameplay at any degree of charge, right up until the very end when it says the joy-con is dead (I have two sets, so if that happens I just swap sets).

Oct 25, 2017
What does the difficult level actual does? More repettitions? meaning that you actually do more excersice with less damage so you end up doing the same ammount of damage than before but with more repetition?

I feel like you should be able to upgrade old skills, there is no reason for you to use an old excersive because their attack power is really low.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What does the difficult level actual does? More repettitions? meaning that you actually do more excersice with less damage so you end up doing the same ammount of damage than before but with more repetition?

I feel like you should be able to upgrade old skills, there is no reason for you to use an old excersive because their attack power is really low.

Difficulty increases the intensity of the exercise. You end up doing the same damage, but you need to do more reps and hold them for longer.

Also you do eventually unlock higher-tier variations of old skills.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017

if my switch is off, but I leave the joycons in the ring fit, is it draining battery?

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Reading this thread had me order the game a few weeks ago. Well, I finally got my copy from ... *checks* ... amazon.fr, which was cheaper than amazon.de (the Amazon I usually order from) or local online stores (and a lot of them were sold out too). Hurray for price differences between EU countries! Can't wait to start tonight.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Difficulty increases the intensity of the exercise. You end up doing the same damage, but you need to do more reps and hold them for longer.

Also you do eventually unlock higher-tier variations of old skills.

I'm on the highest difficulty and it never occurred to me that it was having more reps and holding for longer. No wonder I've been struggling a bit. I thought the difficulty just ramped up the enemies guard so that it took longer to beat them 😐

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So my wife and I are getting a Switch next month and this game really got her interested. She doesn't game much but she thinks this could really help her get in shape.

My question is, do you think this game would keep her attention?