• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aureon You just started with RFA? Squats are your new best friend; you will be doing a lot of those. You legs will get stronger as a result though so you can't criticise Nintendo for not looking out for you!
Ye, on day 5 atm.
I thought my legs were doing okay, considering i walk a stairwell of 400 steps every day, but apparently they can use some work!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I currently don't have any kind of squats in my line up of attack exercises, it has been quite a relief having a break from them!

I am giving my knees a rest from them if I can help it. I had a very heavy leg day the other day and both of my knees have been grumbling at me ever since. One of my squats deals really nice damage too so hopefully they'll feel better soon.

Ye, on day 5 atm.
I thought my legs were doing okay, considering i walk a stairwell of 400 steps every day, but apparently they can use some work!

Squats are no joke. Each squat has to lift up the weight of the body above it if you think about it. I am looking forward to the summer by which I should have lost most of my excess weight if I keep up my current pace. Squats will be so much easier then!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
for hovers and jumps etc do you have to vary the speed of your running? Still early on so I'm just doing regular jogging on the spot and a few times I've missed coins as I can't hover long enough. Also does it matter how hard you squeeze or is it just length of holding?

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
I've been keeping squats in every session and hitting at least 3-4 sets (level 25) of Overhead Squats or regular Squats. I didn't think squatting without weights would have much of an impact at the gym, but my squat form has improved so much. I'm little and scared of injury, so I only lift 30-35Kg right now (5x5 sets/reps) but Ring Fit is making such a difference to my regular gym workouts. The game element keeps me far more motivated too, though it does also make me tempted to cheese the boss with some easier, but oddly more damaging, exercises. Looking forward to unlocking all the skills/levels so that I can set preferences without worrying about damage.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
for hovers and jumps etc do you have to vary the speed of your running?
Some jumps require you to be sprinting to get far enough. But some coins or platforms are only reachable once you unlock another jumping skill for that.
For the hovering part it's basically just an on / off switch. You're either pressing the ring and hover or not.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I've been keeping squats in every session and hitting at least 3-4 sets (level 25) of Overhead Squats or regular Squats. I didn't think squatting without weights would have much of an impact at the gym, but my squat form has improved so much. I'm little and scared of injury, so I only lift 30-35Kg right now (5x5 sets/reps) but Ring Fit is making such a difference to my regular gym workouts. The game element keeps me far more motivated too, though it does also make me tempted to cheese the boss with some easier, but oddly more damaging, exercises. Looking forward to unlocking all the skills/levels so that I can set preferences without worrying about damage.

That's great to hear, congrats. You are wise to be cautious if you don't mind me saying. Muscles get stronger far quicker than the connective tissues i.e. ligaments and tendons. RFA will help to strengthen the leg in general, not just the muscles so it is no wonder that your squat form in the gym has improved so much.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Two quick joyful anecdotes

1. Put my running gear on...headed outside and almost slipped and fell on the icy ground. In the past that would have nixed my exercising plans completely...now I just put on 25 mins of ring fit as an alternative....LOVE IT!

2. After 14 Ring Fit sessions with lotsa planks and squats, i headed out for a punishing uphill 6.5k run that would destroy me by the end especially if i had not run for a while which was the case this morning after more than a week run free. Imagine my delight when I reach the end and think "i could do another 20 mins of this no prob"..Ring Fit has really truly strengthened my core and oh how it shows!

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
I can feel the genius of this game oozing through my veins. You know how you like to master games, like fighting games for example where you learn all the special moves and combinations?

Well this is like that except I want to master the workouts. That's what's driving me right now, the quality of the game is helping me realise that dream but my goal is not to finish it but be proficient in performing those moves and combos, if you like.

Not sure if that was ever the games intention but this is how I feel about it right now. Whilst this game is kicking my arse I will not give up, and by the time I do master it I would hope to think my level of fitness would be substantially improved.
This.....co sign..when the game told me to worry less about increasing repetitions and more about getting form right I realised that there are these two highly addictive real life rpg elements to it: improved capacity to do the exercises and improved quality of exercise moves....it really is genius and governments should eventually be paying Nintendo for reducing society's health care costs...

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Imagine if this was on a platform with achievements/trophies? I'm such a sucker for that stuff, I'd probably end up in hospital trying to unlock "10000 reps in a day" or something dumb like that!

The wholesome encouragement and care Nintendo have put into this game is truly brilliant.

That's great to hear, congrats. You are wise to be cautious if you don't mind me saying. Muscles get stronger far quicker than the connective tissues i.e. ligaments and tendons. RFA will help to strengthen the leg in general, not just the muscles so it is no wonder that your squat form in the gym has improved so much.

Thanks mate! Good point about the ligaments/tendons. I hadn't even thought about that!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for a 30 minute exercise routine in the morning, will this do it? I literally have about 30 minutes to "play" before work in the morning, will this give me a good bang for buck, or in 30 minutes of "game time" do I spend like half of that... watching cutscenes and not working out?

I guess, what's the time split for 30 minutes of exercising? Does the game waste your time a lot if you're looking to get in something "quick"?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a 30 minute exercise routine in the morning, will this do it? I literally have about 30 minutes to "play" before work in the morning, will this give me a good bang for buck, or in 30 minutes of "game time" do I spend like half of that... watching cutscenes and not working out?

I guess, what's the time split for 30 minutes of exercising? Does the game waste your time a lot if you're looking to get in something "quick"?

you can do story or you can just go straight to the exercises and do those.
in story mode with 30 minutes you probably get in about 20 mins of actual exercise and the rest is 'Nintendo Buffer'. So go direct for filing up your time more efficiently

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
you can do story or you can just go straight to the exercises and do those.
in story mode with 30 minutes you probably get in about 20 mins of actual exercise and the rest is 'Nintendo Buffer'. So go direct for filing up your time more efficiently
Cool, thanks. I think I will do story mode then. My problem (I'm a fairly fit guy, runner) is that I'm not motivated to do the "maintenance" exercises that I need to be doing for running, like squats and core workout and abs. I think the game's story mode will give me the motivation to actually do the exercises rather than just putting on headphones and doing random exercises, I think I need the structure.

Also, does anyone use a Yoga Mat? I am going to be playing in the living room and I don't want to get my expensive rug dirty from sweat. If you use a yoga mat, does the game have you moving aound so much or do you stay in one area? I guess I could also just play on a towel if I sweat?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, turns out Tree pose is super easy for me to do lol.
It's one of those things where I've seen it, and thought 'yeah, that's not happening', but it's fine.

I'll have to try through more yoga stuff next time I play.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks. I think I will do story mode then. My problem (I'm a fairly fit guy, runner) is that I'm not motivated to do the "maintenance" exercises that I need to be doing for running, like squats and core workout and abs. I think the game's story mode will give me the motivation to actually do the exercises rather than just putting on headphones and doing random exercises, I think I need the structure.

Also, does anyone use a Yoga Mat? I am going to be playing in the living room and I don't want to get my expensive rug dirty from sweat. If you use a yoga mat, does the game have you moving aound so much or do you stay in one area? I guess I could also just play on a towel if I sweat?

I'm on a wooden floor so definitely looking at getting a yoga mat. Movement so far is ok - you need space to sit down for some exercises but it seems flexible (eg I can turn away from the TV slightly and its still fine)

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019

You stay in one area but need room for 360 degree lunges with your body...

I think the real ratio of game to exercise is closer to 1:1...for every 10 mins of activity there's almost 10 mins of game stuff...it supposedly gets better later on but temper your expectations...

Having said that I am amazed how much my ring fit workouts have helped make running a whole lot easier...I can feel it in my core, my hips and my legs....it truly is gamechanging...

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
This.....co sign..when the game told me to worry less about increasing repetitions and more about getting form right I realised that there are these two highly addictive real life rpg elements to it: improved capacity to do the exercises and improved quality of exercise moves....it really is genius and governments should eventually be paying Nintendo for reducing society's health care costs...

This is exactly it! You are truly levelling your real self UP! :D

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
You stay in one area but need room for 360 degree lunges with your body...

I think the real ratio of game to exercise is closer to 1:1...for every 10 mins of activity there's almost 10 mins of game stuff...it supposedly gets better later on but temper your expectations...

Having said that I am amazed how much my ring fit workouts have helped make running a whole lot easier...I can feel it in my core, my hips and my legs....it truly is gamechanging...
Awesome thanks man. That is exactly what I need, some exercises to help with my running. I'm a pretty fast guy already (casually ran a 5:51 mile a week ago with no training @ 34 years old) but I want to start running again and upping my mileage. But I'm also lazy about exercising and doing anything atheltic that's not running. I think this game will be what I need!

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Had been hoping for a between black friday and boxing day but watched the below video and finally decided to take the plunge. Hoping I can get into a regular routine using it when the game arrives in a couple days...

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Awesome thanks man. That is exactly what I need, some exercises to help with my running. I'm a pretty fast guy already (casually ran a 5:51 mile a week ago with no training @ 34 years old) but I want to start running again and upping my mileage. But I'm also lazy about exercising and doing anything atheltic that's not running. I think this game will be what I need!
If you like games and exercise I think it will really meet your needs..i usually give up with exercise routines after a couple of weeks but I've been doing this for over a month now.I only do ring fit 3 times a week or so but even so the benefits are really noticeable...just make sure you choose the difficulty level that is right for you...I think you would probably be in high 20s...but maybe start lower if you have neglected some muscle groups in favour of others...

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

There's a few factors that come into play, it depends on the world and the levels you play, the "world" levels are the best ones for your situation, lots of running and then 2 or 3 fights in between, this I've found is the most effective use of time, if you can avoid the filler-levels (i.e. game gyms) and skip through the dialogue as quickly as possible then you will get a decent workout, however you will probably want to do the warm-up and stretches too, these take around 5 mins in total I would say. I've found that going back to previously completed worlds and hand-picking a few levels is a good approach too.

It may be better to do custom workouts if the story-mode has too much filler for your time, I can spend 35 mins actual workout and it take me just under an hour time-elapsed, which makes sense when you factor in the stretches and ring's waffle.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Planks are sooooooooooo hard. My abs hurt for a few days after they got introduced. I'm on 21 difficulty and the only other thing killing me were the knees to chest exercise, so I guess my abs are kinda weak lol.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably TMI but one of the hidden benefits of this game for me (specifically the amount and frequency of squats you need to do) is that it has really helped increase my endurance for wink wink time with the wife.

I've always exercised with my legs when I'd work out but I guess I usually was mainly working my calves more so than my quads/hammies/glutes.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Probably TMI but one of the hidden benefits of this game for me (specifically the amount and frequency of squats you need to do) is that it has really helped increase my endurance for wink wink time with the wife.

I've always exercised with my legs when I'd work out but I guess I usually was mainly working my calves more so than my quads/hammies/glutes.

Haha that's awesome! What a great added benefit, stay with it!!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Imagine if this was on a platform with achievements/trophies? I'm such a sucker for that stuff, I'd probably end up in hospital trying to unlock "10000 reps in a day" or something dumb like that!

The wholesome encouragement and care Nintendo have put into this game is truly brilliant.

Thanks mate! Good point about the ligaments/tendons. I hadn't even thought about that!

IIRC Wii Fit had the whole '10000 steps a day' aim. Apparently, this was just some arbitrary number that some Japanese company came up with without any real evidential justification behind it. Still, most people nowadays are so sedentary that anything that gets one to move one's body is of benefit. Achievements would probably kill a lot of nerds who had compulsive tendencies though so I can understand who Nintendo didn't push that aspect. There is some of that, of course, but it's not a focus of the game. Mantorok put it brilliantly, below.

RFA is ideal for your use case then. It takes most of the drudge out of the exercise and makes the player want to play the game because it's fun. This is much preferable to exercising because one feels one should (which just leads to lapses in exercising because most of us are not that disciplined).

This is exactly it! You are truly levelling your real self UP! :D

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda need a second TV and dock to play in the spare room. Anyone play this undocked? Can't imagine the screen is being enough to work properly

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Cool, I just completed World 1 @ Lv. 27. It felt pretty easy, according to the heart rate monitor I was only working out Light at 55%.

I'm going to bump it up to Lv 30 for my next time, World 2, and see how it feels there. So the further you get into the game, like World 10 and such, does the workouts get more difficult or how does it progress the more you play?

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Cool, I just completed World 1 @ Lv. 27. It felt pretty easy, according to the heart rate monitor I was only working out Light at 55%.

I'm going to bump it up to Lv 30 for my next time, World 2, and see how it feels there. So the further you get into the game, like World 10 and such, does the workouts get more difficult or how does it progress the more you play?
It gets a lot more difficult. For me, anyway.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You get many more exercises which can be tougher or easier depending on what you're good at. But on top of that the levels get much, much more involved. Dozens of different types of obstacles in the levels that all require different exercises to pass.

And you get much harder (and different) boss battles, as well as minigame levels, battle gyms and fitness gyms, which all are a great change of pace that are typically pretty difficult. Though it all really depends on what you're good at and how hard you make it for yourself (like which fit skills you set for yourself).

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It gets a lot more difficult. For me, anyway.
You get many more exercises which can be tougher or easier depending on what you're good at. But on top of that the levels get much, much more involved. Dozens of different types of obstacles in the levels that all require different exercises to pass.

And you get much harder (and different) boss battles, as well as minigame levels, battle gyms and fitness gyms, which all are a great change of pace that are typically pretty difficult. Though it all really depends on what you're good at and how hard you make it for yourself (like which fit skills you set for yourself).

Great great! I'm really looking forward to playing this just a little bit everyday. I'll probably do another session tonight at Lv.30 before bed and see how that goes. Maybe there's a sweet spot in between 27 and 30 for me. I really do want the game to kick my ass.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
adam prime The first three worlds gently ease you into the basics of the game. The difficulty starts to slowly ramp up from world four onwards but the RPG elements start to ramp up slowly from there, including ways to help you in the game, too. Also, you can tweak the difficulty level at will. You can either answer the questions again or go into the 'advanced' option to raise or lower the difficulty manually. IIRC unless you are in the middle of a course or gym you can change it at any time in-game. It is very user-friendly and allows the player to tailor the intensity of the session dependent on how they are feeling that day.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
In the same category...us older folks know that our bladder control gets weaker with age...it is still ok for me but holding my wee was no longer an instant shut off valve like it used to be...14 ring fit sessions later and i am 18 all over again

These are the types of things that marketing departments need to pick up on.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat world 9 and Dragaux has no chill... Bringing up old heartbreaks, sniff

I kinda need a second TV and dock to play in the spare room. Anyone play this undocked? Can't imagine the screen is being enough to work properly

I've been bringing the Switch and the ring with me when I travel for work. Using the small screen isn't ideal, but it works. The biggest issue is mainly trying to see the rings/crates that are around the paths as you jog. I miss a lot of those on the small screen, but otherwise it's fine.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol...not sure how...shall I post a video of myself quoting this script and see if Nintendo buys it off me?

I was more thinking of suggesting they advertise this game on the same channels that advertise for various medical issues like bladder control and low testosterone.

Just beat world 9 and Dragaux has no chill... Bringing up old heartbreaks, sniff

Just wait until the end of world 20.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
In the same category...us older folks know that our bladder control gets weaker with age...it is still ok for me but holding my wee was no longer an instant shut off valve like it used to be...14 ring fit sessions later and i am 18 all over again

This explains why I no longer have to get up in the night to pee!

Never thought it would be the exercise.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Does anyone know if the 500 push/pulls of the ring-con need to be registered in the Adventure mode each day or can I stack up 2 or 3 days worth before registering them? I am going to be much busier than normal the next couple of days and am not sure if I'll get the time to fit that in.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just completed Day 2! Still in World 2 and finished one stage @ Lv 30, and it was pretty tough! SO MANY reps and you have to hold those suckers long! It was pretty darn good! I did another stage down to Lv 28. I think Lv 29 may end up being my sweet spot for a daily routine.

I'm enjoying the exercise but I'm already feeling the boredom of doing the same exercises over and over. I'm ready to "level up" and gain access to more workouts/skill attacks. So far I've only unlocked one from the starting five, I need more! How long does it take to unlock all of these? I wish I had enough so that I could have a "Leg day" and choose from 5 different leg exercises, and then go into the next battle with only arms, or split that ratio up a little.

But the fact that I haven't unlocked any new skills makes me want to play more and excited about doing it again tomorrow to see if I unlock anything new.

... Also does the game have you ever do push-ups? I like push-ups. And Squat Jumps. I may just end up doing my own jump to the squat exercises unless that totally screws up with it registering correctly as correct form.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
In World 7 now, level 50-something - I'm finding that my red skills are really falling behind the other colors, everything else has 130-175 power exercises while my best red ones are the 90-power arm twist and overhead twist (which, as exercises go, don't really push me that much)--and the remaining ones are super weak, 25-35 power. Do the red skills start to catch up at any point?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
adam prime You still have your training wheels on in world 2. Don't worry, you'll soon not have this as a concern. Play and enjoy and it will all unfold okay, I promise.

gardfish Yes, don't worry.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
adam prime I'm at the end of world 4 and I have some pretty varied sets now. Worlds 1 and 2 are pretty much introductory. It picks up the pace a bit after that.

Think I'm feeling the addiction of this game. It's far better than I imagined it would be. 10 days on the bounce and I just want more.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, just finished my first train session with the game and MAN it is harder than I though it would be!

Started in the Intense difficulty. Mind you I try to exercise regularly (almost daily) altough sometimes it's only a quick stationary bike ride (around 30m), kids and stuff.

Played through the first "world"(?) and daaamnnn, ended up more tired than I thought! Tried to do the exercises just like they show, so my main issue seems to be more of a cardio\resistance than strenght.

Can't wait to get home tomorrow!

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, quick question. I'm on day 24 or so and some of the exercises I'm getting feel a little "easy", and I feel like I am cheating myself out of a more intense work out. Standing arm twist? Hip Shake? These are easy but also some of the most damaging attacks I have, meaning if I don't use them, I might be in a spot where I die due to low damage output such that healing won't compensate. I'm also wondering now how I "should" be playing this game, in the context that, I'm looking to have fun, and get a good workout.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Hey guys, quick question. I'm on day 24 or so and some of the exercises I'm getting feel a little "easy", and I feel like I am cheating myself out of a more intense work out. Standing arm twist? Hip Shake? These are easy but also some of the most damaging attacks I have, meaning if I don't use them, I might be in a spot where I die due to low damage output such that healing won't compensate. I'm also wondering now how I "should" be playing this game, in the context that, I'm looking to have fun, and get a good workout.

I was at that point too but don't worry it will change as you get other skills that do harder damage but also are much harder to do. Also, don't underestimate the value of those two skills and other 'easy' ones. Just because they are easy doesn't mean that they are not beneficial. Both tone and give good endurance to the body parts worked which tend to be overlooked otherwise. I would suspect that this was deliberate by Nintendo; I am sure they realised which parts of the body tend to get neglected and chose to mitigate against that by doing what you describe. The game clearly has had an enormous amount of thought and care put into it so I do not consider this to be an unreasonable proposition. Stick with it; as long as you are enjoying yourself and still playing then that's all that really matters. This is not a game to worry about min/maxing; as long as you are moving your body and getting more exercise than you would ordinarily then you are doing great.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I recently had a similar issue where I had my set routine that I was very comfortable with which did the most optimal damage and I realized I was kind of plateauing because of that. So I added in some exercises that really gave me trouble early on (like overhead squats and planks) and it made the workouts really intense again.

I think you kinda have to make the game as easy or as hard as you want in a few different respects.

nkarafo

Dec 18, 2019

Hello. How old are you? I am 40. Since 2-3 years ago I have this problem with my bladder control which got weaker and I go regularly for pee. I think it's getting better but I am not sure. Which moves / exercises are good for this issue? Or maybe are ALL the exercises combined? I am in world 7 by the way..
Good game though! It has the motivation to get exercised and I was seeking something like this!

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Hello. How old are you? I am 40. Since 2-3 years ago I have this problem with my bladder control which got weaker and I go regularly for pee. I think it's getting better but I am not sure. Which moves / exercises are good for this issue? Or maybe are ALL the exercises combined? I am in world 7 by the way..
Good game though! It has the motivation to get exercised and I was seeking something like this!

Not to fearmonger, but please make sure you take care of yourself and have regular check-ups for your prostate. Frequent peeing at night is one of the more common symptoms.