• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
When do requests get unlocked? I beat level 3, but it's at 70% as the requests are all question marks.

Partway through world 4, quite near the start of the world. You're almost there :).

regenhuber You are so right about the quality reps over quantity of reps credo. There is this macho attitude in fitness culture that really does not help much of the time.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this shit is hard. I'm playing at Level 24 and was struggling to play the World 1 boss and get through 2-1 last night. I think the move variety is a little too limited to start the game, hoping that the number you have access to ups itself pretty fast.

2-1 recommended me to be lvl 6, but I was only lvl 4 to start even though I had done all the previous stages available to me. Does it require you to backtrack and repeat stages to get to appropriate levels?

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
2-1 recommended me to be lvl 6, but I was only lvl 4 to start even though I had done all the previous stages available to me. Does it require you to backtrack and repeat stages to get to appropriate levels?

Not realy, its only at the beginning where you feel a little bit underleveled. Later there will be more optionial stuff, if you do everything it will be hard not to be overleveled.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Piston You might want to drop your difficulty level down a tad; it's only going to get tougher from where you are. Otherwise, it is going to be a long, hard slog for you. I understand the desire to up one's difficulty level so one works hard but I think you might be being a bit hard on yourself here. I started on difficulty level one and that made me work! Then I went to six and yesterday went up to seven. I found world four hard work even on that difficulty level of seven. I'd love to up it but I'm working pretty hard as it is. You can play the game however you want but I am concerned that if you do it at a difficulty level that means you make very slow progress then the very slow progression in the RPG elements might frustrate you.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Partway through world 4, quite near the start of the world. You're almost there :).

regenhuber You are so right about the quality reps over quantity of reps credo. There is this macho attitude in fitness culture that really does not help much of the time.

Was kinda hard for me to unlearn all the habits that I built up over 1000s of hours of gaming.
In my video game sessions I always try to reach a checkpoint/bonfire/milestone before I quit.

So when I started Ring Fit that mentality gave me a ton of problems. Did 3 attempts at World 2 Draugaux even tho I was tired.
I got sloppy and impatient with my reps. Also tried to cut corners by using the skills that came easiest to me.
tl;dr I didn't have fun and the next day I felt super fucked up.

Now I'm doing 30 in game minutes and rather increase the difficulty than my session time.

it's going great so far. I use Ring Fit 6 times per week and my body feels great.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
regenhuber Yes, I'm at that point of struggle right now. My body is telling me to have a rest day today but I so want to play some more. I have a request and Dragaux to finish in world four and I want to do any requests that are now available for worlds one to three but have resisted the temptation so far. Instead I am doing my 500 ring presses/pulls as I mooch about the internet. I'll log those when I'm done and try my hardest not to get into actually doing any exercise in game.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Piston You might want to drop your difficulty level down a tad; it's only going to get tougher from where you are. Otherwise, it is going to be a long, hard slog for you. I understand the desire to up one's difficulty level so one works hard but I think you might be being a bit hard on yourself here. I started on difficulty level one and that made me work! Then I went to six and yesterday went up to seven. I found world four hard work even on that difficulty level of seven. I'd love to up it but I'm working pretty hard as it is. You can play the game however you want but I am concerned that if you do it at a difficulty level that means you make very slow progress then the very slow progression in the RPG elements might frustrate you.
I'm fine at the difficulty 24, I really mean it is hard in a good way. I want to be sweating and struggling. I was just hoping for a few different options for exercise really because the first few you have access to only have three muscle groups (abs, delts, and quads/hammys) and a few sets of 30 each without much rotation can get you tired fast.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
regenhuber Yes, I'm at that point of struggle right now. My body is telling me to have a rest day today but I so want to play some more. I have a request and Dragaux to finish in world four and I want to do any requests that are now available for worlds one to three but have resisted the temptation so far. Instead I am doing my 500 ring presses/pulls as I mooch about the internet. I'll log those when I'm done and try my hardest not to get into actually doing any exercise in game.

Sounds like a good idea.
The thing with Ring Fit is, that it's not a game I want to "beat". I want to incorporate sessions into my daily life for months/years.

So I try to avoid getting to a point where I dread working out.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm fine at the difficulty 24, I really mean it is hard in a good way. I want to be sweating and struggling. I was just hoping for a few different options for exercise really because the first few you have access to only have three muscle groups (abs, delts, and quads/hammys) and a few sets of 30 each without much rotation can get you tired fast.

Ah, I see; sorry, I did not get that. I am at world four and have already swapped out several exercises that I don't have room for because we are only given so many slots early on. You will collect them as you make your way through the worlds but you might have to be a bit more patient than you would rather I'm afraid. I'm glad that the game is giving you what you want in the sense of a hard workout though. I am at a difficulty level of seven and that's making me work so I hate to think what 24 is like! 😸

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
My goodness, just woke up on day 3 and I'm so sore. I didn't even do any walking yesterday like I did day 1 (I generally walk 5 miles most days). The game definitely works out a lot of muscles you don't use much in day-to-day life if you're not too active. Having a pretty good time overall.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

Some music discussion for you ^^^^^

I love the first music in the game, IIRC on the mode select screen. It always has me bopping in place before I realise I am doing it. Trust me, I am not someone who bops! It's so bright and upbeat; it makes me feel welcome and keen to have some fun even though it's exercise and hard work. Also, if there's any music with high beats per minute I haven't noticed it although I might be so invested in what I'm doing my conscious mind is too busy to do so. I am very sensitive to high bpm music; it makes me feel anxious and nauseous, which is not much fun since so much of popular music uses it and people seem to think that they need to inflict their awful musical taste on the rest of us with their cars and lounge windows wide open 😡 .

regenhuber I was saved from myself today due to a joycon running low on battery 😸 .

Timppis Hey, how are the neck and bronchitis treating you now?

paranoodle 😲 Nintendo seem to have learnt so much from what they got wrong with Wii Fit (and I loved it for awhile). It seems like it shall be difficult to accuse RFA of being a flash in pan game without longevity.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of the music is like that.

Especially the human bosses, with the song that randomly has the singers singing what sounds like "Sophia!"

The music is so, so good.
Yeah the music is so good that I had to find a way to rip it from the game to listen to it at work or just doing stuff, I love games OST in general and this one is really great.

Each battle music has 8 variants:
- the default one with voices
- a voiceless one
- a "muted" one (when calibrating your position)
- one that plays when ab-guarding I think
- two catchy ones with different clap rhythms (used for rhythmic moves)
- one soothing version for yoga moves
- one like the default one but with more instruments, a bit catchier (harder moves ?)

It's great how the game switch to each variants seamlessly.

I love the Boss one against Drago.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
woo yeah, for sure! and i know that once i get to the "end" (depending on how much i decide to try to 100% it i guess) i'm probably going to be tempted to restart it in another language just to get some language practice in while i'm at it too. at this admittedly pretty fast rate i've got my exercise schedule ready for probably the next year or so.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So how can you make it where certain exercises increase power level, so you can use it? Like there is a low abs work out, that I liked, but can't justify using due to its low power score. I hope that makes sense.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how can you make it where certain exercises increase power level, so you can use it? Like there is a low abs work out, that I liked, but can't justify using due to its low power score. I hope that makes sense.
If you like it you can still use it even if its a low level, you'll have to use it more and do more reps.

A few days ago I unlocked an updated version of low press, it went from 25 to 200+ damage, it's so powerful that I sometimes can't do all the reps, then I went back to the lower version, at least I can do many reps and use it a few times by combat.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You unlock better versions with more attack Power for each Exercise over time the same way you unlock new Exercises.
If you like it you can still use it even if its a low level, you'll have to use it more and do more reps.

A few days ago I unlocked an updated version of low press, it went from 25 to 200+ damage, it's so powerful that I sometimes can't do all the reps, then I went back to the lower version, at least I can do many reps and use it a few times by combat.

Thanks guys, I've added some of you via friend code. I like
How we can track each other and seeing that board.

Anyone want to share codes?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Decided to raise my Lv from 24 to 25 and I feel the different. But it isn't overwhelming, just need to adjust to the new difficult. Also finished World 9 along with side quests and about a third through World 10, which seems to be mini game world. I am also rusty on my squats since I just got Lv 2 Wide Squats and those things took a toll on my legs thanks to the increased difficult.

Props to anyone playing 26 and above.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Ok, as someone who somewhat regretted buying Wii fit plus in the past due to it being too light an exercise for my needs, due to all the praise RFA has been getting decided to jump in.

Woah! This game is amazing and the real deal! Worked out 30 min and broke a legit sweat! Got to world 2 and cant wait to play this daily.

Anyone on the fence: go get this!!!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Finished day 3 workout and I'm extra exhausted due to pushing the difficulty up a bit. Hopefully I'm not too sore tomorrow.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to raise my Lv from 24 to 25 and I feel the different. But it isn't overwhelming, just need to adjust to the new difficult. Also finished World 9 along with side quests and about a third through World 10, which seems to be mini game world. I am also rusty on my squats since I just got Lv 2 Wide Squats and those things took a toll on my legs thanks to the increased difficult.

Props to anyone playing 26 and above.
I've been on 26 for a few days. The game originally gave me 19 and I've been bumping it up by 1 every once in a while. The best thing about higher difficulties is the increase in number of yoga reps. I couldn't stand how few they gave me at the start. I wish I could double those without changing anything else.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
i spent most of today's workout clearing out old requests and augh some are so hard ;A; i'm so much worse at these minigames than these villagers seem to think i am

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I've been on 26 for a few days. The game originally gave me 19 and I've been bumping it up by 1 every once in a while. The best thing about higher difficulties is the increase in number of yoga reps. I couldn't stand how few they gave me at the start. I wish I could double those without changing anything else.

I started at 20 and after the first two days thought it was too easy once I got my bearings so I bumped it by one until I got to 24. After about a week, 24 started to get a little too easy, which is why I bumped it to 25. Now it's difficult again without making me want to kill myself.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
there's thankfully a couple minigames i can 100% somewhat consistently, but the ones i can't, oh boy... i just consistently struggle just for B rank instead
I feel ya, but hopefully, over time we can.

I haven't had as long as a play rate as some of y'all, but I already noticed some strength and energy changes

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I find really interesting is that appearently everyone plays the game in a very unique way. You can compare your stats online for every exercise with other people in your same age group (dunno if you need NSO for that). Playtime wise I'm in the top ~10% of all other players within my age group and I'm even in the global top10 with some exercises while with other exercises I barely reach the upper half of all players in my group. It's pretty nice to see how people are focusing on different moves.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Did over 50 minutes tonight I feel amazing.
My diet needs to be cleaned up big time, which will be an issue with the holidays coming up cause I'm putting in a lot of work but not really losing anything. Just need to keep my discipline.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Timppis Hey, how are the neck and bronchitis...

Thanks for asking. I got laryngitis and ear infection as a sequela so my RFA has been on hold for almost two weeks and will be at least a week more.
I've been coping with the non-excercise simply by playing as much Pokémon as I can before RFA takes over again.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Timppis Joy! I guess you really wanted to catch some pokemons.

Seriously though, that's a really good game to lose oneself in for hours at a time while your body gets the rest it needs. Hope you feel 100% soon. Oh, and enjoy the 'mons.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I find really interesting is that appearently everyone plays the game in a very unique way. You can compare your stats online for every exercise with other people in your same age group (dunno if you need NSO for that). Playtime wise I'm in the top ~10% of all other players within my age group and I'm even in the global top10 with some exercises while with other exercises I barely reach the upper half of all players in my group. It's pretty nice to see how people are focusing on different moves.

I noticed the same thing. And IIRC, it only displays the player's positive improvements on the lists, not the drops (like, always cheering the player)?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I noticed the same thing. And IIRC, it only displays the player's positive improvements on the lists, not the drops (like, always cheering the player)?

Yes, I have noticed that too. I like that aspect a lot. It shows your improvements in yellow IIRC and all other entries in grey. So if you fall in the standings or stay the same it doesn't make a big deal about it but if you improve you get it in a nice, bright colour and an upward arrow. It's all very encouraging which is great for most people, I think, especially if they don't normally exercise. I also love how it compares one to people who share your birth year. That is much more helpful than if it was to just list everyone who is playing the game. Someone who was born in 1965 i.e. me is naturally going to be at a disadvantage compared to someone who was born in 2000, say.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Any other people who suffer from lower backpain when doing specific exercises? Especially with leg raises and knee-to-chest, and a little bit with leg scissors. I have to strengthen my core before doing those?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Day 3-4.

Only had time for a little bit of working out yesterday, but today I stopped right before the boss of World 3. Finally new clothes!

Me: "god no more squats"
The game: "Here's this minigame where you do squats"
Me: "ahhhh"

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game two days ago and have been loving it! I did experience some weird issues in World 2 though.

When I unlocked the swiveling move(the one where you move the ring-con side to side) it didn't seem to register my movements sometimes. Also while doing the minigame, there were latency issues. I would spin and squeeze and the game would take like a second or two to do it(basically making me miss some of the hits).

Has anyone experienced this? I also just got the switch so i'm not sure if this is an issue with the joy-cons?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got to start this up this morning. Recall I'd pulled something in my calf walking to the store to pick it up Friday! Thankfully that was minor and is fine now, but it was still sore Saturday and I was wiped after taking and bagging leaves yesterday.

Woke up early today so finally got to give it a go and man that's a pretty legit workout! I was pouring sweat and will have sore legs and shoulders. I was pretty skeptical since WIi Fit U wasn't that great of a workout for me. This is quite a bit more intense and a lot more fun with it having the RPG story and your exercises being attacks etc. It gives great feedback on how long to hold positions, how fast to do motions etc. just did World one. Hope to do world 2 tomorrow before leaving for Thanksgiving in the afternoon if I have time and am not too sore!

Anyway, nothing new that hasn't been shared a ton here. Just adding my voice to those impressed by this is a workout tool to add to my routine.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Any other people who suffer from lower backpain when doing specific exercises? Especially with leg raises and knee-to-chest, and a little bit with leg scissors. I have to strengthen my core before doing those?

Most of us "deskjob during the day/gaming, TV at night" people have super underutilized lower backs.
Sore back muscles can feel pretty similar to lumbago/low back pain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_back_pain).

As you know, I suffered from that shit for weeks before I started regular Ring Fit sessions.
So I was scared as hell wenn I felt pain in my lower back from Knee-to-chests, leg raises etc..
Even asked my physiotherapy guy about it and he said "It's the muscles."

tl;dr If the pain pops up during exercises or 24hrs after doing them, you're fine.

And trust me, you'll feel the difference between actual low back pain and sore lower back muscles immedieately.