• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I'd been playing in a non-climate controlled room and the cold was my excuse to quit the past couple weeks. Feeling guilty and sad. Need to get back on it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta do that when I hit that Level 100 :D

I'm way behind, only at 53. But it's good to hear the game stays fresh and inventive in world 11.

I don't expect that'll be the case through NG+ and NG++ but hopefully they do throw in some wrinkles for that.

I'd been playing in a non-climate controlled room and the cold was my excuse to quit the past couple weeks. Feeling guilty and sad. Need to get back on it.

Working out will warm you up. And warm up the room. You're acting as a space heater!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Did my fourth day and I'm almost at the end of World 4. I am still two levels aways from the boss and I went into the Warp, which gave me an extra level to do. The Worlds are becoming longer, that's for sure. Also, the NPCs are hilarious. Reminds me of Dragon Quest.

Also, I got the infamous Plank, and lord or mighty that thing kicked my ass. Not helping that I honestly don't have the room the laid flat on the floor to do them comfortably, so I had to unfortunately replaced it after only one used. Too bad since it's a powerful multi-hit move that gives you one hell of a workout.

But I'm happy overall since with this game and my normal workout I was doing before, I burnt over 400 calories, close to 500. Just yesterday along with doing over 14,000 steps I burnt well over 1,000 calories, so I'm getting there. Still fat, but I'm healthier than I was a month ago since my hypertension is under control.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Did my fourth day and I'm almost at the end of World 4. I am still two levels aways from the boss and I went into the Warp, which gave me an extra level to do. The Worlds are becoming longer, that's for sure. Also, the NPCs are hilarious. Reminds me of Dragon Quest.

Also, I got the infamous Plank, and lord or mighty that thing kicked my ass. Not helping that I honestly don't have the room the laid flat on the floor to do them comfortably, so I had to unfortunately replaced it after only one used. Too bad since it's a powerful multi-hit move that gives you one hell of a workout.

But I'm happy overall since with this game and my normal workout I was doing before, I burnt over 400 calories, close to 500. Just yesterday along with doing over 14,000 steps I burnt well over 1,000 calories, so I'm getting there. Still fat, but I'm healthier than I was a month ago since my hypertension is under control.
Well done! You're doing this along with other workouts? I'm willing to bet that if you stick with it your physique will start transforming before you know it. The ultimate goal, anyway, is to have an active, strong, and useful body, and it sounds like you're well on your way. Cool.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well done! You're doing this along with other workouts? I'm willing to bet that if you stick with it your physique will start transforming before you know it. The ultimate goal, anyway, is to have an active, strong, and useful body, and it sounds like you're well on your way. Cool.

Thanks. The other workout I do is running on a treadmill three days out of the week. I would do that everyday, but it's a bit too hard on my body, so I need breaks to keep from overtraining.

Ring Fit is good for those off days since I can better control the intensity of my training and cardio is good for your heart.

While I do want to lose weight, I'm trying to be active for my blood pressure since strokes run in my family on both sides and I don't want to be on medication if I can help it.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
They screw me up because my Joycon doesn't seem to notice when I'm back "down." Those are haaaaaaard.

This is my one issue with the game. The plank stuff, there is one where you need to basically be in a plank position and running if you will, and the game just does not register my return, easily like 50% of the time. I just don't use these exercises when I don't have to, but when they're forced in gyms its really frustrating.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
This is my one issue with the game. The plank stuff, there is one where you need to basically be in a plank position and running if you will, and the game just does not register my return, easily like 50% of the time. I just don't use these exercises when I don't have to, but when they're forced in gyms its really frustrating.

For planks, you're likely just not lowering far enough. And remember that you need to already in plank position before the game calibrates your initial position.

For mountain climbers and all rhythmic movements, the game is looking for "intensity." Your legs must go at the pace ring speaks and with intensity.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you're talking about mountain climbers: try placing your back foot further on the outside away from your center line while the front foot can land somewhat in the middle of your chest. That should help your leg-strap joycon to get a better angle and better registering. If that doesn't help then try a more "jump'ish" movement for the intensity.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
And then of course a few other things that have been said here before, such as always starting from the side for the exercises in which you need to switch sides.

Yes, this is annoying sometimes. Later in the game youl will get some very powerful moves with a small attack range, where it's almost impossible to get the full amount of reps in before the enemy dies.

That said,

a) IMO the game makes the assumption that most of us are righthanded and the left side of our bodies tend to be weaker.
Getting some extra reps in on the left side (all skill start left for me), is actually a plus for me.

b) possible workaround: Just turn around, so your ass faces the TV, do the first set of reps and turn around once more for the second set. That worked for me with the "revolving crescent lunge".
No guarantee that this will work with 100% of the skills, but is worth a try.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Does this work your muscles hard enough that you should have off days between playing, or is it aerobic enough you can do it every day?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really pleased with how much this gets me sweating after 15-20 minutes or so, and after plateauing on my weight loss for the last two months, Ring Fit has finally got it moving down again (fingers crossed). The game is pretty fun too, I really enjoy the enemy animations and designs.

Does this work your muscles hard enough that you should have off days between playing, or is it aerobic enough you can do it every day?

I've been able to do it every day with a few exceptions. The first day after starting it I was really feeling it in my muscles and had to take a day off but largely it's been fine with 15-20 mins each day. With more than that, YMMV of course.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Anecdotal advice from me:
I sit on a desk/in the car for like 10hrs a day, so I only take a rest day after using Ring Fit for 4-5 days in a row.

I've been able to do it every day with a few exceptions. The first day after starting it I was really feeling it in my muscles and had to take a day off but largely it's been fine with 15-20 mins each day. With more than that, YMMV of course.

Yeah, this.
I do 25-30 mins of net workout time a day and it has been fine.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

You can do it every day, if you want such a pattern. But that's all depending on your current shape, how long you want your play sessions to be, your level setting, what else you do as training during the days, how good recovery time you have, how much exercise variations you have between days, etc, etc. Listen to your body and take rests days when you feel that your body needs more time to recover.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

Depends on how long the sessions are and how fit you are. I've been doing every day unless unavoidable, and if I feel particularly achy or sore in a particular area I just won't utilise that part of the body during fights, for example yesterday my lower back was a little iffy so I concentrated on upper body and legs and only did a few abdominal sets.

This is one of the genius aspects of the game, you can tailor your workout all the time depending on how you and your body feels and is one of the reasons I don't have to skip days.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just started world 8, and I'm starting to feel like 75% of the obstacles on each course have you doing squats to progress. They're getting much, much easier for me but it's still like, c'mon man I just beat the leg world and you want me to do MORE squats???

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just started world 8, and I'm starting to feel like 75% of the obstacles on each course have you doing squats to progress. They're getting much, much easier for me but it's still like, c'mon man I just beat the leg world and you want me to do MORE squats???

The game does seem to assume that people's legs are the worst aspect of their bodies. I mean between the running in place, the squat springs, and all the leg base attacks they give you compared to say the arms attack, Nintendo seems to assumed people have crappy leg strength.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Whoop! thank you Giant Bomb, your video sold my wife on it quickly so now it's coming in tomorrow ^_^

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The game does seem to assume that people's legs are the worst aspect of their bodies. I mean between the running in place, the squat springs, and all the leg base attacks they give you compared to say the arms attack, Nintendo seems to assumed people have crappy leg strength.

They're the biggest muscles in your body and give you the biggest calorie burn. All of those things also work the "core."

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Either they assume everyone has crappy leg strength or everyone has good leg strength so that they can do this many squats.

They're the biggest muscles in your body and give you the biggest calorie burn. All of those things also work the "core."

Yeah, leg exercises in general I understand being so important. But I do feel like they focus specifically on squats a bit too much.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, leg exercises in general I understand being so important. But I do feel like they focus specifically on squats a bit too much.
Squats are one of the 3 basic compound exercises with Benchpresses and Deadlifts and you train more than just legs because you also exercise your abdominals and the lower back. They are an incredibly good exercise. But they could have added more harder Squat variations like the Bulgarian Squat or even Burpees tho.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Another day done and I did nearly an hour. Despite that, however, most of it was just finishing off World 4 and I only did one level in World 5, which is kinda annoying. Even more, I can't do the leg gym because I don't have the room to do the mountain climbing exercise. So I'm pretty salty about that.

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked planks in Sportia. Holy hell they're kicking my ass. How much longer till I unlock the targeted/muscle-group options?

Also, I did all the stages and minigames in World 3, and unlocked World 4, but World 3 still only shows 70% complete. What gives??

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked planks in Sportia. Holy hell they're kicking my ass. How much longer till I unlock the targeted/muscle-group options?

Also, I did all the stages and minigames in World 3, and unlocked World 4, but World 3 still only shows 70% complete. What gives??

You need to finish all requests for each world too to get 100%. Just keep doing the story and they'll be unlocked eventually.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I went in expecting balance board levels of shenanigans with this, but holy hell, I did the first world and it absolutely kicked my ass. I'm so out of shape.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Squats are one of the 3 basic compound exercises with Benchpresses and Deadlifts and you train more than just legs because you also exercise your abdominals and the lower back. They are an incredibly good exercise. But they could have added more harder Squat variations like the Bulgarian Squat or even Burpees tho.
Don't put people through burpees

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Another day done and I did nearly an hour. Despite that, however, most of it was just finishing off World 4 and I only did one level in World 5, which is kinda annoying. Even more, I can't do the leg gym because I don't have the room to do the mountain climbing exercise. So I'm pretty salty about that.

Fuck, that sucks. The good news:

You won't run into them again till W8 when they become available as an optional leg skill.

I hate these too bc I work out on socks on a carpet, that's why I avoid them as much as possible.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think I did more squats in this first 30 minutes of playing this than I did all year. Last time I did them I felt like I broke my legs. I totally didn't do my stretches right that time earlier in the year. Got just short of beating W1 but my hand slipped and I got nailed for my last heart at the first boss battle. Don't have the energy to continue tonight. Will get my revenge tomorrow afternoon. I'm still out of breath... from the jogging lol

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Fuck, that sucks. The good news:

You won't run into them again till W8 when they become available as an optional leg skill.

I hate these too bc I work out on socks on a carpet, that's why I avoid them as much as possible.

That's nice to hear.

But yeah, any workout that requires me to lie towards the TV I simply can't do. While the room I workout in is big, it isn't that wide since there is a sofa between me and the TV, and I can't move the sofa since it's against a wall. That's also why I can't do the Planks.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
That's nice to hear.

But yeah, any workout that requires me to lie towards the TV I simply can't do. While the room I workout in is big, it isn't that wide since there is a sofa between me and the TV, and I can't move the sofa since it's against a wall. That's also why I can't do the Planks.

do you have room to the sides?
AFAIK there is no direct line of sight required.

Don't really care about mountain climbers but planks are so good for me (history of back issues).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
do you have room to the sides?
AFAIK there is no direct line of sight required.

Don't really care about mountain climbers but planks are so good for me (history of back issues).

I used a Yoga met since the floor is tile, so I would have to move the entire mat just do those types of exercises and move it back when I'm done. It's more trouble than it's worth, but I guess I could try to make it work just to pass the Leg Gym. I also meant to write long, not wide.

Last edited:

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
The more I see of the this game the more I want it. I really hope theres a deal for the holidays in the $60 range. I can probably justify it to myself at that price.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
HeroR

Oh, I get it.
The great thing about RFA is that there are so many skills available to you that passing on on a couple of them doesn't matter.
Maybe, once you reached the endgame, you could do special days where you only do lie down skills.

The more I see of the this game the more I want it. I really hope theres a deal for the holidays in the $60 range. I can probably justify it to myself at that price.

a) it's a Nintendo game that is sold out at many places atm, so the chances of a price drop or deal are slim
b) if any game I ever bought was worth it, it was Ring Fit.
Saying that as someone who attented IRL Yoga/Fitness classes for 25€ a pop

Don't want to meddle in your personal affairs but I wouldn't let 10USD stand in the way of you getting healthier.
If you are already working out and are fit, you don't need it tho.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017

I ordered mine from Walmart and somehow got a $10 adjustment after I picked it up. Total was $69.88 before tax. Not sure why it did that but maybe give it a try?

Or find someone that still has BestBuy GCU and it will be $63.99.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

This.
My legs are my stongest muscle group by a huge margin. On one hand I don't mind the focus on the legs because I can easily do them without having to take breaks but on the other hand I want the rest of my body to get in shape so I try to change it up as much as possible.

Yesterday was day 2 for me. Made it until the boss of W2 and will clean that up today and progress into W3.
This really is a lot of fun and it's crazy how easy it is to break a sweat playing this game for 25-30 minutes each day.
I don't have any sore muscles from the first two sessions so I'm trying to get a workout in every day unless other personal life stuff gets in the way.
Adult life means that I don't have time for this every day so therefore I automatically get a rest day or two in every week.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I just got the game yesterday so I can complement my gym routine. I think this could help me working out a bit the days I don't have the time to go to the gym or the weather is so bad that I don't have the motivation to go out and exercise.

Any recommendations before getting started today? How should I play it? Are the levels structured like some kind of sessions in the way you are supposed to just play one per day? I tried Wii fit before but didn't motivate me enough, but Ring Fit looks way more interesting.

Also, the OP is great. Thanks!

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game yesterday so I can complement my gym routine. I think this could help me working out a bit the days I don't have the time to go to the gym or the weather is so bad that I don't have the motivation to go out and exercise.

Any recommendations before getting started today? How should I play it? Are the levels structured like some kind of sessions in the way you are supposed to just play one per day? I tried Wii fit before but didn't motivate me enough, but Ring Fit looks way more interesting.
Levels / worlds vary in sizes a lot so you shouldn't take that as a reference. You can use the burnt calorie counter oder ingame timer as a goal for your sessions even tho these numbers are usually very low estimations but they still work as a point of reference.

I guess the only recommendation for the game is to not cheat the game (like just moving the ring instead of doing the real exercise) and don't cheat yourself (going with a difficulty level that is too easy / avoiding specific exercises). I'd say that having a difficulty level that is a tad too high is probably better than if the game is too easy. There's no need to rush the game or to progress as quickly as possible. Also we know that the game is much (much!) longer than we expected.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
There's a villager quest in level 4 that I can't complete. I gotta get an ingredient to make a smoothie for the villager but I can't find the ingredient anywhere. Please help

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Levels / worlds vary in sizes a lot so you shouldn't take that as a reference. You can use the burnt calorie counter oder ingame timer as a goal for your sessions even tho these numbers are usually very low estimations but they still work as a point of reference.

I guess the only recommendation for the game is to not cheat the game (like just moving the ring instead of doing the real exercise) and don't cheat yourself (going with a difficulty level that is too easy / avoiding specific exercises). I'd say that having a difficulty level that is a tad too high is probably better than if the game is too easy. There's no need to rush the game or to progress as quickly as possible. Also we know that the game is much (much!) longer than we expected.

Nice, thank you! Regarding the difficulty level, how does it work? The game put you some kind of test you must take and suggests you a difficulty level depending on the result you got? If that's the case, you can increase it for what I get from your reply, right? What affects the difficulty level? Number of repetitions per exercise maybe?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, thank you! Regarding the difficulty level, how does it work? The game put you some kind of test you must take and suggests you a difficulty level depending on the result you got? If that's the case, you can increase it for what I get from your reply, right? What affects the difficulty level? Number of repetitions per exercise maybe?
Difficulty range goes from 1 to 30. In the beginning the game asks you for your age, how much you exercise compared to others in that age group and how intensive you want your training to be. Then it will calculate a matching difficulty for you but you can re-calibrate or change it manually any time. Most obvious change is the amount of reps you have to do, but there are several smaller changes as well like the duration that you have to hold poses (like sitting low with squats). You notice the intensity difference between lvl20 or lvl25.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Difficulty range goes from 1 to 30. In the beginning the game asks you for your age, how much you exercise compared to others in that age group and how intensive you want your training to be. Then it will calculate a matching difficulty for you but you can re-calibrate or change it manually any time. Most obvious change is the amount of reps you have to do, but there are several smaller changes as well like the duration that you have to hold poses (like sitting low with squats). You notice the intensity difference between lvl20 or lvl25.

Great, thank you. Will try different intensities and check what suits me better.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible that you have to unlock things in later stages / worlds to access routes in levels in previous worlds?
There's a jump to an alternative route in World 2 that I can't seem to get up to no matter how hard I run/jump.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
There's a villager quest in level 4 that I can't complete. I gotta get an ingredient to make a smoothie for the villager but I can't find the ingredient anywhere. Please help

Some ingredients/recipes people ask for are located in worlds/levels you haven't been to yet.
Don't worry.

You notice the intensity difference between lvl20 or lvl25.

Yep.
I started out at 12, moved up to 15, didn't really feel any difference and upped it again to 18. Only then did I experience a noticable change.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Unlocked the skill tree and have about half of it unlocked by world 7. Does anyone know if a second skill tree unlocks?