• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I'm in the same boat as I don't do much outside of scheduled exercise so I only rest if I really feel I can't do the workout. I was also under the impression that if you're lifting weights it's imperative to rest every other day due to the damage it could do to the muscles whilst they are repairing. Given that this isn't building muscle I think the rest days are down to the individual, but once I've built up to a longer workout I may find I need it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Allthough I try to switch up the skills, after the leg intensive W6, I focused on arms in W7.

The general rule of thumb to have 48 to 72 hours of regeneration only applies to weight lifting (regen time for specific muscles to grow).
RingFit is mostly cardio and you can do that every day without having to take days off. Unless you feel pain ofc.

Ah thanks!
Don't really feel any pain per se. But sometimes it's hard to differentiate between soreness and pain.
I stayed away from leg skill today, just to be safe.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
This is also another approach, you can alternate upper and lower body on individual days, that way you're not in danger of exhausting a particular area and can be resting one whilst exercising the other 😀

was no problem to get thru the fights with overhead presses and other basic skills.
Just takes a little longer and you might need a smoothie here and there.

At this point I'll stop worrying about enemy colours and attack points.
It's probably smarter to focus on arms, legs etc and pick the skills according to that.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does anyone go to the gym regularly and still use this? I think it'd be a fun way to supplement my weightlifting routine. I go 5-6 times a week but dont do any cardio or anything there. Would this be beneficial or does it seem geared towards another group?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
was no problem to get thru the fights with overhead presses and other basic skills.
Just takes a little longer and you might need a smoothie here and there.

At this point I'll stop worrying about enemy colours and attack points.
It's probably smarter to focus on arms, legs etc and pick the skills according to that.

The only downside I can think of is that you exhaust too much of one area and have to cut the workout short, this is why a mixture of upper/lower body tends to work better as you get rested whilst working out the other.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do a rest day after each day my first week but this week I've done 4 consecutively. I really, really should take a break today since my legs are also unbelievably sore but I REALLY want to play again today. I just have the boss of world 5, might be a (relatively) short and easy workout.

It's definitely hard to force yourself to take a break when the workout is so fun.

Of course the world 5 boss level has like 50 trampolines back to back for some insane reason. That was fun.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Does anyone go to the gym regularly and still use this? I think it'd be a fun way to supplement my weightlifting routine. I go 5-6 times a week but dont do any cardio or anything there. Would this be beneficial or does it seem geared towards another group?

I still lift on Tues/Thurs/Sat and play this Mon/Wed/Friday and it's definitely helped my strength training routine just through increased stamina. Honestly this game is the best thing to happen to my physical health in years.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Absolutely. It's Pilates/Cardio/Yoga in RPG form. It also can be made as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I reached world 3 today and I feel like I am burning more calories than the game tells. This game really is something else since I work out a sweat while having a fantastic time. Amazing how these peripherals can detect your body movements so well.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I reached world 3 today and I feel like I am burning more calories than the game tells. This game really is something else since I work out a sweat while having a fantastic time. Amazing how these peripherals can detect your body movements so well.

Probably. It on counts when you move and stops "counting" the moment you stop. You can see how it tracks by pressing the ZR button.

Nov 13, 2017
Help! I just got this game and no matter what I do, the Ring-Con will not calibrate when I lay it on a flat surface. I've calibrated the joy cons multiple times now and I can't seem to find a fix for this issue. Any ideas what could be wrong? :(

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up today. In love after the first stage. Been super depressed lately too so this should help greatly.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Help! I just got this game and no matter what I do, the Ring-Con will not calibrate when I lay it on a flat surface. I've calibrated the joy cons multiple times now and I can't seem to find a fix for this issue. Any ideas what could be wrong? :(

There are some posts regarding this somewhere at the start of the thread. The very first initialisation is rather long and lacks any user feedback.

Nov 13, 2017

I don't think there's any trick to it. :-( You may have to contact Nintendo for a replacement.
There are some posts regarding this somewhere at the start of the thread. The very first initialisation is rather long and lacks any user feedback.
Oof. Thanks guys. I let it try for 10 minutes, but then decided to call customer support. They said to exchange it at GameStop. I'll try again tomorrow :)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some decisions in regards of the calorie counter are outright stupid.
Like this mini game Gluten Gallery where you hold the ring above your head and have to lean left, right or keep it centered to collect coins. You somehow only burn calories while you're leaning to a side, if you keep the ring centered because the coins are also centered, then the game thinks you burn literally zero calories or stop existing.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Finally got around to playing and holy hell what a workout. I am literally swimming in my own sweat and it was only World 1. Granted, I did a hard workout this morning, so that probably affected my overall stamina, although probably not by much.

The squats were actually not that bad for me, I thank my years of taken martial arts where I had to do horse stance for ten to thirty minutes. But those overhead ring press murdered my arms. That and the running since I have flat feet, so my soles hurt after only a few minutes of running even on a yoga mat.

But it was fun and I look forward to the coming months, although I will have to grind World 1 again, probably fight the dragon again for the experience.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just picked this up but debating on return it. I have 2 questions:

1) Is anyone seeing gains? Like what kind of working out is this, toning? Would it help with weight loss? (weight loss is 900% dieting etc etc)

2) I live at top of apartment complex so I would have to use quiet mode. Is the work out just as good?

Last edited:

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
So I just picked this up but debating on return it. I have 2 questions:

1) Is anyone seeing gains? Like what kind of working out is this, toning? Would it help with weight loss? (weight loss is 900% dieting etc etc)

2) I live at top of apartment complex so I would have to use quiet mode. Is the work out just as good?

It is basicly a pilates training program with some added cardio.

So it is working on your core muscles, balance and cardio. In my opinion (but i am not an expert so take it with a grain of salt) a pretty good full body workout without extra weights.

It is true that the most important thing for losing weight is diet, but sport is for me an important part of it as well. Because it is not just about what you need to do to lose weight but that you get in a state of mind that helps you to do it. And the exercice you get from the game should definitly be beneficial for that.

Personaly silent mode still gives me a pretty good workout. But i am still in the obese range so I cant tell if it would be different for other people.

But in general the difficulty setting seems to include enough harder stuff that its still usefull for people who are already relatively fit.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
EI6w6qtUwAEu7BA

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I kept my smart watch on while working out today.
My Apple Watch had me at ca 400cal, Ring fit showed 170.
Results may vary. But yeah, calorie count is off with RFA.
Which is not a bad thing actually.

Yeah, it'd be much less motivating if the in-game counter displayed too much instead. As of it is right now, it makes me keep playing more and more each session.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Today, I played some Ring Fit as a warmup to my daily run. This was the first time I played it with my heart-rate monitor and chest strap, and noticed that I never reached a pulse above 110 bpm (which might be the reason why I never got my pulse to register the heart rate within Ring Fit). I didn't expect much higher heart rates than that anyway, and for me it worked great as a warm-up tool. The Ring Fit session cut about 5-7 minutes of my running warm-up directly afterwards, while I also got some fun work for muscles that I don't use that much while running.

Earlier to this, I have only played Ring Fit Adventure as separate sessions on rest days and low-volume days, but today's experience might change my approach to use it more as a fun warm-up instead. Such a flexible and fun exercise game!

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reached level 65 during today's session and the game opens even more indeed, it's so great, so much stuff to do and unlock.

I'm now level 66, 7h57 of activity time, 19km distance, world 8, 17th or 18th day.
I play in sessions of 45 to 80 minutes depending on the days (20 to 45 ingame activity time).

I mostly use the shoulder press (don't know the English name) to regain health, thus I'm world first since a few days for 1986 users (less than 250 users used this healing move), and use smoothies only when the shoulder press is on cooldown.

I'm at difficulty 18 but I up it by one every 3 or 4 days, that may seem quite low but I'm kind of skinny, 61kg for 1.83m (which is underweight in France), so my muscles don't have that much endurance yet, but it builds over time, my legs gained some thickness since I started the game, I kinda skipped leg day before.

I love the game and I'll continue to play for a long time.

Expanded skill-tree, with new updated attacks, like base ones with much more power, and the ability to add two more attack slots, that's so great!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just did my second day. Redid two levels in the first World for grinding and to makeup for my lackluster performance yesterday. Thanks to some arch support I got for my feet, I am able to run further and faster without my feet hurting after only a minute. Although, I had to stop short of fighting the boss to complete World 2 since those overhead pressed just murdered my shoulders. I may try for it later tonight, although I am annoyed that I grinned for Lv 9 and the boss recommendation is Lv 10.

Lot of fun, despite the pain and nearly burnt 200 calories today in about 26 minutes. So overall, good results.

Edit: Forgot the mentioned that I loved the stretches before and after workout. Especially since they know what muscles really needs relaxing based on what moves you used in the game. That and how the Pilates ring can be used outside of the game and still keep track of your progress if you connect it to a Joy Con. Good for those days when I simply don't have time to play.

Last edited:

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about this game is that it's making me WANT to work out. Not HAVE to work out, which basically every other exercise routine in my life has been.

I had a personal trainer come to my house to help me work out in the year before my wedding, since I wanted to look good. So four times a week I had to work out and do a routine he planned and then once a week he'd come and watch my form, and give me new routines. It was fine, but it was something I had to do or else he'd be disappointed, he'd be a waste of money, my wife would be disappointed, etc. It's the kind of motivation where I get up in the morning going "ugh, okay I gotta do this today".

Whereas Ring Fit is the complete opposite. I woke up today going "ugh I'm so sore, I really want to play RFA but my body won't let me". So I want to exercise. Not because I want to get my money's worth, or not because I don't want to disappoint my wife. It's because exercising with this game is fun. A lot of fun. And also easy. I don't need a lot of setup, I don't need to drive anywhere. It's a low bar of entry and it's hella fun.

So despite waking up with needing a rest day I played anyway. And I feel sore of course, but great. It's a totally different kind of routine than I'm used to, simply because I want to do it. I just hope Nintendo supports this game long term so that I can continue this routine for many months, not just 2-3.

Just thought I'd share that to nobody in particular.
so i was on the fence for picking this game up, i need to get into shape, this alone right here motivated me to purchase the game. will be grabbing it tomorrow during lunch break

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, it'd be much less motivating if the in-game counter displayed too much instead. As of it is right now, it makes me keep playing more and more each session.

Calorie counting is not an exact science anyways.
A few years back I used to go to a posh/high tech gym and the first thing my trainer said was "Don't mind the calorie counter on the cardio machines, they just give you an estimate based on your heart rate".
He also told me that sore muscles burn calories slowly over the next few days. So many of the machines you see in gyms will just give you the estimated sum of both calorie counts.

My best guess is that RFA shows you a super conservative estimate of the calories you have burned during the session.
a) that keeps you going
b) that prevents you from thinking "oh I burned 500 cals today, let's get some McDonalds"

so i was on the fence for picking this game up, i need to get into shape, this alone right here motivated me to purchase the game. will be grabbing it tomorrow during lunch break

Do it.
I was sick at home for 4 weeks with lower back pain before I got RFA. Now i'm 14 days into it and my back feels good as new.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Calorie counting is not an exact science anyways.
A few years back I used to go to a posh/high tech gym and the first thing my trainer said was "Don't mind the calorie counter on the cardio machines, they just give you an estimate based on your heart rate".
He also told me that sore muscles burn calories slowly over the next few days. So many of the machines you see in gyms will just give you the estimated sum of both calorie counts.

My best guess is that RFA shows you a super conservative estimate of the calories you have burned during the session.
a) that keeps you going
b) that prevents you from thinking "oh I burned 500 cals today, let's get some McDonalds"

Do it.
I was sick at home for 4 weeks with lower back pain before I got RFA. Now i'm 14 days into it and my back feels good as new.

I do remember my day saying that you burn fat throughout the day after a hard workout and what you see on the machine is an estimation of how much calories you burnt in that moment. Cardio is the most apparent of this since you don't burn a lot of calories all at once, but you slowly burn calories throughout the day.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm jumping in as well tomorrow.
Had a few Kg too much since my hand injury that kept me from doing sports for the last 3 months and gained a little more during my vacation last week...
It's time to lose some weight!

I usually only do cardio training to get/stay fit. The plan is to alternate between this and cardio at the gym / going for runs outside.
Also changing my diet to a healthier one.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question before I buy. Do you need to be directly in front of the TV? I know it sounds stupid, but I mainly use my Switch un-docked, the dock itself is connected to our bedroom TV. Whilst there is plenty of Space in the room itself, I'd be standing in the area beside the bed, at a slight angle to the TV (which is pretty much directly in front of the bed.

I can't see why that should be an issue, given there is no sensor bar with the Switch, but thought I better check.

Oct 25, 2017
Now this has been out for a bit I have to say I'm dismayed we haven't heard from the major outlets - or anybody really - about the effects this is having.

As for me, my questions relate to how I can take the RPG campaign and also incorporate the separate mode which is just the exercise sets.

Is everything unlocked already? Or do I need to keep going on the main game?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question before I buy. Do you need to be directly in front of the TV? I know it sounds stupid, but I mainly use my Switch un-docked, the dock itself is connected to our bedroom TV. Whilst there is plenty of Space in the room itself, I'd be standing in the area beside the bed, at a slight angle to the TV (which is pretty much directly in front of the bed.

I can't see why that should be an issue, given there is no sensor bar with the Switch, but thought I better check.

I think you can do most of the exercises regardless of your orientation, at least I haven't run into any issues yet. However, jogging and aiming your air blasts with the ring con are much more convenient if you're standing directly in front of the TV.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
As for me, my questions relate to how I can take the RPG campaign and also incorporate the separate mode which is just the exercise sets.

Is everything unlocked already? Or do I need to keep going on the main game?

The RPG is totally separate from the mini games and sets. AFAIK, everything is unlocked outside the RPG.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

I got good news for you: you can work out where ever you like, as long as you aren't too far away.
I alternate between our bedroom and my "man cave" upstairs.
In the man cave I do the excercises at a 45 degree angle to the TV (too lazy to move my chair around every time) and it registers just fine.
That said, the screen should be visible and audible at all times for instructions etc.

So you need lots of space for this

IMO a 2m x 2m x 2m cube of space is enough to use RFA

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
HAHAHA I did my longest workout today, was doing the boss fight in W3 and right near the end I accidently stopped the abdomen block and he knocked me out.

That boss fight was pretty brutal particularly for me. Oh and if anyone suffers from bad posture, I've been doing a posture set every day for the past week, and it frigging works, I no longer slouch standing or sitting, I naturally straighten up, oh and my back issues that were bothering me a couple of weeks ago - gone.

This game just keeps on giving, I always look forward to my time on it, it's slowly becoming my favourite game of all time in fact, also I bet it takes an age to be able to rip through this on highest difficulty settings. It's a PITA having to travel to do my usual routine, it's just so damn convenient and FUN.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad it helped convince you and I hope it works for you!

Today is the first day in like a year and a half where I'm off of work and my daughter is at school so I have the house to myself, and you know what's exciting me the most? Playing a really long session of this.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Finally picked this up, only played through world 1 last night, but the game seems to be everything I hoped for. Really amazing degree of polish and thought about all the little details, and the RPG systems and structure look unrivaled to me, have never seen another fitness game with as much going on. Now I'm really looking forward to returning and seeing my difficulty levels slowly raise over time.

And the ring con hardware seems nice and sturdy too, also the exercises have been registered great for me so far, and I really enjoy they have a random selection feature too, so I'm not tempted to just use the easiest choice all the time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Good god I did all of world 6 today (I'm off so I had plenty of time) and that mega ab guard on the second to last level almost had me passing out. I'm pretty sure I lost my hearing for a few seconds after it, and the whole room was spinning. I snapped back to my senses after like 10 seconds but that was kinda scary for a minute.

Has anything like that happened to anyone after a huge squat or crazy exercise or something?

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I'm like 7 or 8 days in and just absolutely loveeee this game. I was literally cracking up while doing one of the levels for some reason. After every session I just feel really happy which souds weird but is true. I've mostly done DVD's to exercise and after those I feel accomplished but not happy. I'm usually cursing at the instructor part way through. The traversal stuff is my favorite so far and the variety is amazing.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
HAHAHA I did my longest workout today, was doing the boss fight in W3 and right near the end I accidently stopped the abdomen block and he knocked me out.

That boss fight was pretty brutal particularly for me. Oh and if anyone suffers from bad posture, I've been doing a posture set every day for the past week, and it frigging works, I no longer slouch standing or sitting, I naturally straighten up, oh and my back issues that were bothering me a couple of weeks ago - gone.

This game just keeps on giving, I always look forward to my time on it, it's slowly becoming my favourite game of all time in fact, also I bet it takes an age to be able to rip through this on highest difficulty settings. It's a PITA having to travel to do my usual routine, it's just so damn convenient and FUN.
What do you mean when you say "posture set"? Is that in the game or something separate?