• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 24, 2019
I haven't made much progress yet but I keep on doing a bit each day.

That feature to gift 500 reps to your character each day is genius.
My brain treats it like a daily login bonus and I have to do those each day even if I don't get around to a stage/level in adventure mode.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I just bought the game on eBay a few hrs and I'm hoping to use it as a supplement to lose more weight on top of my calorie restriction and hitting the gym. I really wish I could get this game digital and buy the accessories separately though. I hate switching carts and this game played often enough in and out would be worth it on digital

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Only started this on Monday, I have a sit-down job and I haven't been able to do my usual exercise (swimming) due to some neck pain, anyway I bought this with the intention of getting some better resistence into my workouts to go alongside the cardio. I've also been suffering with slight lower back pain due to bad posture.

I'm only on World 3 and haven't over-exherted myself due to the back pain, anyway, by day 3 I no longer suffer with back pain, the ring, this game, the leg strap, everything is the real deal. I've tried aerobic exercises before in front of the TV and it's too boring and there's no proper engagement or reason to exercise, this gives you a reason to carry out the reps and sets, you get constant feedback and are totally engaged, whether it's with the campaign, the minigames, the sets etc. and this imo is why it stands out, oh btw I don't like RPGs, but I love this, they nailed it when they went with the RPG format.

It gives you some great stretching exercises before and after and due to my bad posture I carry out a posture set on there and it sorts me out from any pain etc.

This is, by far, the most engaging workout I've done, and I can see myself sticking to this religiously, it's really fun and I know it's going to get harder and by the time it does I think I will be ready for that, in fact I'm looking forward to it.

Also, this is coming from someone who scoffed when I first saw the "ring" reveal (without the game).

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
So although I've had the game for about a week now or so, I've noticed that I really need to take a 2 day break after a 10 minute session. It's really showing me how pathetic my stamina / condition is ^^'

Sounds a bit like me, and that's OK, for those of us who don't follow an exercise plan it's important to take it really slow and not rush into an injury that could put you out of action for a week.

Best part though, so far it doesn't feel like a chore.

This is the USP for me, and why it's so good and why I look forward to it, in fact I'll be throwing a tantrum if I don't get my ring fix!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing several days now on difficulty 26 and I think the game is absolutely awesome. But I have 2 complains and I hope Nintendo might fix that somehow:

a) you should be able to either rotate the camera view or rotate the trainer (is he also called flexi in the international version?). I think seeing the exercise from different angles might help some people to get a better form and to correct themselfes if they - for example - don't bend over far enough. Also the trainer and your in-game character have sometimes slightly different postures.

b) the calorie counter is almost useless. It's nice to see that number growing but it isn''t really based on reality. I guess the real calorie consumption is probably 3 times as high as the game tells you. I'm aware that - for example with squats - it only counts the calories burned within your legs and ignores that you have an upper body and afterburn effects during breaks. You basically stop existing once your're in the menu, pressing smoothies or stop moving. But still: seeing 200 calories while the reality is more in the 500-700 calorie range feels too low.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
Finished session 4 yesterday. I just feel happy when I'm playing this instead of pissed off like I would feel doing workout DVD's. I'm at difficulty 21 and it feels decent but i might move it up a notch or 2. What exactly happens when the difficulty goes up? The enemies get more hit points or something?

Kanito8a

Apr 18, 2018
Finished session 4 yesterday. I just feel happy when I'm playing this instead of pissed off like I would feel doing workout DVD's. I'm at difficulty 21 and it feels decent but i might move it up a notch or 2. What exactly happens when the difficulty goes up? The enemies get more hit points or something?

Enemies have more health and the game makes you do extra repetitions of each exercise to compensate.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Compression socks arrived. Ready to jump back in tonight. World 6 has been a little disappointing thus far since it doesn't encourage the same variety that has me addicted to the game. I notice I'm getting through less stages in a 30 minute session due to each stage getting longer/the enemies getting tougher. The only thing I'm unsure about are some of the Yoga poses; I feel like I'm doing at least one of them incorrectly.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this last night and while playing a bit realized I'd put the difficulty too high and this morning I can't find where to adjust the difficulty.... Where can I lower the difficulty?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Compression socks arrived. Ready to jump back in tonight. World 6 has been a little disappointing thus far since it doesn't encourage the same variety that has me addicted to the game. I notice I'm getting through less stages in a 30 minute session due to each stage getting longer/the enemies getting tougher. The only thing I'm unsure about are some of the Yoga poses; I feel like I'm doing at least one of them incorrectly.

W6 was also my least favorite one so far. Just got done with it 5min ago.
Seemed to me like W6 was a skill check, to see if you can deal with the rest game.
I would have liked some jogging sessions in between, I hope W7 has more variety.

As far as the Yoga poses go, I did Yoga IRL for a pretty long time and all I can say is "don't worry".
a) I noticed that the game has problems correctly registering some of the more advanced poses.
b) you'll get better at doing these poses naturally

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this last night and while playing a bit realized I'd put the difficulty too high and this morning I can't find where to adjust the difficulty.... Where can I lower the difficulty?

Each day when you start up adventure mode it gives you the option to raise or lower the difficulty.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
b) the calorie counter is almost useless. It's nice to see that number growing but it isn''t really based on reality. I guess the real calorie consumption is probably 3 times as high as the game tells you. I'm aware that - for example with squats - it only counts the calories burned within your legs and ignores that you have an upper body and afterburn effects during breaks. You basically stop existing once your're in the menu, pressing smoothies or stop moving. But still: seeing 200 calories while the reality is more in the 500-700 calorie range feels too low.

I did 22 mins and it said 100 calories and I also thought that was a little low, but I'm assuming this also factors in your weight when calculating these?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
W6 was also my least favorite one so far. Just got done with it 5min ago.
Seemed to me like W6 was a skill check, to see if you can deal with the rest game.
I would have liked some jogging sessions in between, I hope W7 has more variety.

As far as the Yoga poses go, I did Yoga IRL for a pretty long time and all I can say is "don't worry".
a) I noticed that the game has problems correctly registering some of the more advanced poses.
b) you'll get better at doing these poses naturally

It's the game, necessarily, but the issue is that it's expecting a more static or perfect input than what you'd expect.

You are forced to hold the Ring-Con perfectly straight, Joy-Con facing you perfectly, and at the same angle as what you started otherwise the gyros can't determine your body position.

I did 22 mins and it said 100 calories and I also thought that was a little low, but I'm assuming this also factors in your weight when calculating these?

Yes, but it also only counts when you're moving. That's a different measurement than what people seem to be expecting.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The damn stage with the trampolines in world 5 is of course when I decide to try out the wide squats attack.

Squats are the devil's exercise.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
You are forced to hold the Ring-Con perfectly straight, Joy-Con facing you perfectly, and at the same angle as what you started otherwise the gyros can't determine your body position.
On that note, I was watching a playthrough of the game on youtube, and noticed a hint about there being a way to troubleshoot individual exercises if you're having trouble getting the game to recognize them, via the '+' menu. Not sure what shape that takes exactly, but it might be a way to figure out what's going on with the detection issues some people have been having.

Aug 1, 2018
The stages / challenges where you have to break all the boulders are the most soul-crushing levels for me. The number of times that I've come up on a boulder and started moving to the ab-guard position only to accidentally jump over the boulder is too damn high!

I had to play through one stage like 3 times this morning, haha

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Finally back in Tenerife after a month in Italy to do a fuckton of medical exams (in the past 4 months I've found out I'm celiac and suffer with cronical gastritis and a bad form of rhizarthrosis on top of Raynaud's Syndrome, le sigh 😔) to see parents/friends, proud that I kept losing weight despite my mum trying to stuff me up with delicious local (Umbria's) food 😂

Now at 80kg, I was 94.6kg at the beginning of August. 🎉

Ring Fit Adventure was waiting for me, damn that's a BIG package! :O Really hope my fucked up hands won't fail me and that I'll be able to use it even if partially! 🤞🏻

So, anything I need to know before going in?
Do I need to buy a mat and if yes can I still start using it in the meantime? Super excited to start and to have it in my daily routine together with Beat Saber/Box VR on Oculus Quest.
Appreciate any replies/tips/advice, thanks!

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Have 8 #1 ranks in exercises for my age group. Gonna lose it all when Death Stranding comes out maybe lol.

You can adjust difficulty with the left button menu while in-game. It might be grayed out if you're not in the adventure mode.

So, anything I need to know before going in?
Do I need to buy a mat and if yes can I still start using it in the meantime? Super excited to start and to have it in my daily routine together with Beat Saber/Box VR on Oculus Quest.
Appreciate any replies/tips/advice, thanks!

I bought a mat because floor exercises hurt without it. But you can do most of it fine without a mat.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
As far as DLC is concerned, I'm not sure what kind of meaningful content you can even add via DLC.

New courses?
Would be nice, but let's be real: most of the courses are just rearranged versions of previous ones. And it never mattered to me.

New moves?
I honestly doubt that you can just make up sensible excersises like you can make up Dark Souls DLC bosses. I did Yoga in a gym for a few years and the number of moves we practiced didn't increase that much over time.
In a fitness/health sense, correct posture/execution is much more important than the number of different moves you do.

All in all, I would prefer it if they start working on Ring Fit 2 now.

There's so much they could do to add more longevity. Boss rush, level randomizer, an endless level that goes until you die, mirrored levels, new gyms, etc.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much they could do to add more longevity. Boss rush, level randomizer, an endless level that goes until you die, mirrored levels, new gyms, etc.

Oh god a Roguelike mode could be really good. I feel like they could make a mode with an endless level where you're being chased by a cloud or whatever and you just need to keep pace ahead of it. No enemies, just jogging and various obstacles designed to basically wear you out until you can't do any more. Then you can track your longest run.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My game finally came in. Don't have time for the adventure mode, but I wanted to set everything up. Had trouble with the leg strap since it kept slipping on my leg. Finally just had to do it bare leg.

Although, just by doing three workouts and I made a sweat. That ring is more resistance than I thought,

Oct 29, 2017
Got an exercise mat via Amazon, and it is the perfect size. Needed something to put on the wood floors, and I heard nightmares about those square puzzle-piece type pads, in that they can come apart or get mismatched over time. Went with this one, because it is all in one piece, and the reviews said it didn't slip around. Well, it really does not slip at all. And it came with workout gloves too. It's a Gxmmat (they have yoga versions too, but this is the heavy duty exercise version), and they are sold in various sizes. This one is 6'X4'. Just wanted to provide some feedback if anyone was looking for something similar. And now it is time to get Ring Fit!

Ring-Fit-2.jpg

Ring-Fit-3.jpg

Ring-Fit-1.jpg

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Got an exercise mat via Amazon, and it is the perfect size. Needed something to put on the wood floors, and I heard nightmares about those square puzzle-piece type pads, in that they can come apart or get mismatched over time. Went with this one, because it is all in one piece, and the reviews said it didn't slip around. Well, it really does not slip at all. And it came with workout gloves too. It's a Gxmmat (they have yoga versions too, but this is the heavy duty exercise version), and they are sold in various sizes. This one is 6'X4'. Just wanted to provide some feedback if anyone was looking for something similar. And now it is time to get Ring Fit!

Ring-Fit-2.jpg

Ring-Fit-3.jpg

Ring-Fit-1.jpg
That mat looks awesome. I bought a yoga mat but had to move it off and on when jogging. That would be even better.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Ring-Fit-2.jpg

Ring-Fit-3.jpg

Ring-Fit-1.jpg

Damn that mat looks awesome.
Seems like I still got some shopping ahead before I can truly dive in...

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should i get this game if i live in a very small appartment?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm gonna pick this up at black friday or around christmas if i can, really looking forward to it. I do krav 3x a week but not much else right now, and I think this might be a hit with the gf possibly

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Taking my second day off in two weeks today (W7 atm).
My legs are so sore that walking the stairs in my house hurts.

How do you guys manage breaks? What's your workout/break ratio?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Should i get this game if i live in a very small appartment?

As others have said you really only need enough room to lie down (on your back and on your front).

However if you're tall like me then the ceiling might also present a problem. There's an exercise where you lift your arms straight up while holding the ring-con up, then twist your arms back and forth. I can't actually do this one without hitting the ceiling when I stand up so I've been doing it while kneeling. So you might be able to find creative solutions to space related issues.

I used to do a rest day after each day my first week but this week I've done 4 consecutively. I really, really should take a break today since my legs are also unbelievably sore but I REALLY want to play again today. I just have the boss of world 5, might be a (relatively) short and easy workout.

It's definitely hard to force yourself to take a break when the workout is so fun.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can i lie down on my bed?

You mean do the lying down exercises in your bed? I guess it's possible but the joycons might not register your movements the same as if you're doing that on the floor. Also usually it won't give you as good of a workout since beds tend to be springy and aid with your movements.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

It depends on the workout, I would say that an hour workout warrants a full days rest, I've been doing 20-25mins workouts and not resting UNLESS I'm struggling and feel I could overdo it, but so far it's not been an issue. I want to work my way up ideally so that I can do around 45+ mins with a rest day in between and when my level of fitness improves hopefully 1 or 2 of those rest days wont be required.

It really is subjective tbh

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I used to do a rest day after each day my first week but this week I've done 4 consecutively. I really, really should take a break today since my legs are also unbelievably sore but I REALLY want to play again today. I just have the boss of world 5, might be a (relatively) short and easy workout.

It's definitely hard to force yourself to take a break when the workout is so fun.

This morning I was posted that I was gonna take a break, now (after 8hrs of sitting on my desk at work) I'm secretly planning to get in a moderate session.
Might be a good idea to mop up some quests in early worlds.

Can i lie down on my bed?

Sorry but that that doesn't sound like a great idea.
You might get away with doing excercises on the bed for a while, but when it comes to Yoga moves, planks or knee2chests you need stability.

It really is subjective tbh

I remember from back when I went to a gym, that you should rest 1 day for every 2 days of excersise when it comes to lifting weights.
Thing is, I either sit in a chair or in my car for ca. 10hrs a day, so I don't believe these rules apply to me (legs getting enough rest.)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming you're joking here, but you could if you want to risk performing the exercises incorrectly and pulling your back 🤣
I wasn't joking, im just stupid.

I don't have enough room for living on the floor and have enough space, so i'll wait before buying it

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I remember from back when I went to a gym, that you should rest 1 day for every 2 days of excersise when it comes to lifting weights.
Thing is, I either sit in a chair or in my car for ca. 10hrs a day, so I don't believe these rules apply to me (legs getting enough rest.)

I'm in the same boat as I don't do much outside of scheduled exercise so I only rest if I really feel I can't do the workout. I was also under the impression that if you're lifting weights it's imperative to rest every other day due to the damage it could do to the muscles whilst they are repairing. Given that this isn't building muscle I think the rest days are down to the individual, but once I've built up to a longer workout I may find I need it.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I wasn't joking, im just stupid.

I don't have enough room for living on the floor and have enough space, so i'll wait before buying it

Apologies it's difficult to tell sometimes, yeah you really need a solid surface when exercising, good form is key to exercise and more important than how many sets/reps etc. and bad form can lead to injury and lack of good results.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The general rule of thumb to have 48 to 72 hours of regeneration only applies to weight lifting (regen time for specific muscles to grow).
RingFit is mostly cardio and you can do that every day without having to take days off. Unless you feel pain ofc.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do planks where you hold the lower position for minutes at a time.

Friends, I can no longer do planks for that much time. Really feeling it this morning.