• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds amazing.

OF COURSE FitBit shut them down. Incorporating the tech would have been more expensive, so why not just buy them out and bury it, right? Yuck.

Yeah it was pretty damn awesome, and gave you just so much information. Though I was wrong, it was Jawbone that bought them out and shut it down not FitBit. Still Jawbone is a major ass of a company for what they did. There's been nothing else on the market either to compare with it.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Defeated Dragaux on World 3 and started a bit of 4. I think I'm ready to up the difficulty one point to 23, today felt great. There's something about the ring accessory that really keeps you involved. The only fitness game I played seriously was the Ubisoft Kinect game, it was great but I feel the lack of accessory giving me direct feedback was what made me quit after a couple weeks or so. Here I feel the muscles work much more due to the ring and the fact that you can change difficulty is great.
I'm gonna keep one day rest, one day adventure for now but I already feel better physically than 2 weeks ago. Incredible fitness game really.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Lol what's the point of the Overhead wrist twist exercise? Feels like I'm doing nothing, but it does so much damage I'd be dumb not to bring it in my load out.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol what's the point of the Overhead wrist twist exercise? Feels like I'm doing nothing, but it does so much damage I'd be dumb not to bring it in my load out.

Well, the point of the game is fitness so if you're not feeling it, don't try and game it and keep using it as a cheat out :P Bring something else that will make you get fit instead.

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this a couple of days ago and it's really cool.
Definitely feeling it but can't wait to play again later, which is new to me for fitness games.

Only thing, I must be doing the ab guard wrong? What exactly am I supposed to be feeling? It just feels like pressing the ring into my abs. Does anyone else have this problem?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

It is a recovery movement working range of motion and easing soreness. It was quite satisfying throwing it in during the big arms battle after doing 32 bow pulls, overhead presses, and low presses over multiple sets.

Well, the point of the game is fitness so if you're not feeling it, don't try and game it and keep using it as a cheat out :P Bring something else that will make you get fit instead.

Yes, but also the movesets that the game auto populates are quite balanced. I know I personally try to "recover" as much as I "work." It's particularly important at higher difficulty levels, where the endless reps can feel like a slog extremely quickly.

Sep 24, 2019
So how long is the usual play session for you all?
Are you completing / trying one stage or attempt a full world?

Or do you have a training plan set already?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I bought this a couple of days ago and it's really cool.
Definitely feeling it but can't wait to play again later, which is new to me for fitness games.

Only thing, I must be doing the ab guard wrong? What exactly am I supposed to be feeling? It just feels like pressing the ring into my abs. Does anyone else have this problem?

It's a standing crunch. Contract your abs and slightly bend your knees while performing the movement.

Very soon, it's going to get more difficult later in the game as you have to hold the movement both longer, more repeatedly, and for multiple actions. Early in the game, utilize it as a break.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
So how long is the usual play session for you all?
Are you completing / trying one stage or attempt a full world?

Or do you have a training plan set already?

I'm doing 15-20 minutes a day - or, going by calories, doing about 100-110 calories or so.

My ankle is starting to hurt a bit by day 13 so I'm considering giving the game a rest for a day - though I don't want to get out of the habit of playing.

Unrelated, I am fascinated by how well this is selling - I would love to see some figures. I really want the game to be a million+ seller and to encourage Nintendo to keep supporting it / work on a sequel. It's a very strong IP.

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
It's a standing crunch. Contract your abs and slightly bend your knees while performing the movement.

Very soon, it's going to get more difficult later in the game as you have to hold the movement both longer, more repeatedly, and for multiple actions. Early in the game, utilize it as a break.
I'll try that, thanks. The game tells you to slightly bend your knees but I don't think I saw anything about contracting my abs so I was just standing there while the game was like "you should feel it in your stomach", wondering what the hell I was missing.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
OK, I have permission to post.

I have been doing Ring Fit Adventure for about 10 days now and I am also going to do a weekly video diary to document my (hopeful) progress. I did similar about 12 years ago with Wii Fit (though it was a blog that time). This really helped me to push myself and resist temptation to skip exercises.

Day one (background, unboxing and initial weigh-in)

The 2nd video is after one week. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I have permission to post.

I have been doing Ring Fit Adventure for about 10 days now and I am also going to do a weekly video diary to document my (hopeful) progress. I did similar about 12 years ago with Wii Fit (though it was a blog that time). This really helped me to push myself and resist temptation to skip exercises.

Day one (background, unboxing and initial weigh-in)

The 2nd video is after one week. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I just watched a little bit of the first video and i got to say.

Congratulations buddy, not only are you taking a great decision but your reasonings are quite relatable. Keep doing great work, not only on your body but the videos are super cool and if anything, it could be something to show your kids in the future or grandchildren

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I just watched a little bit of the first video and i got to say.

Congratulations buddy, not only are you taking a great decision but your reasonings are quite relatable. Keep doing great work, not only on your body but the videos are super cool and if anything, it could be something to show your kids in the future or grandchildren

Thanks a lot. I hope I can get a good result in the end. I would hate to be chronicling a failure.

Also, quick questions:

1. What the best level to just get in a good run? I feel like every time I am starting to feel it I have an enemy to fight or something. I really liked the arms training course on world 5 where you have to break all the crates. I could work both arms and legs at once. But after you complete it, the crates are not there on replays.

2. Does the game have any logging system like WiiFit? I want to compare my results from day to day without going into my album.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It is a recovery movement working range of motion and easing soreness. It was quite satisfying throwing it in during the big arms battle after doing 32 bow pulls, overhead presses, and low presses over multiple sets.

ah ok makes sense When I got to the arm master I had 40 min on the timer so it was kinda nice to use.

also, when you say the game auto populated your exercises, where's the option for that? I have just been selecting them myself.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Finally bought it. Doing it with my wife.

It's pretty good, I'm really sedentary so I'm at 10 difficulty. Did world 1 and was done haha.

Two things:

- Will silent mode burn less calories? (Because I'm really thin).
- Exercises at the morning or at night (before or after my desk job)?

Thanks

Jun 8, 2019
I've had an awesome experience with this game so far. I go through quick sessions at the end of my normal workouts, usually just a level or two. So far I am really loving it - its a great finisher and gets me to extend my normal workout time in a way that's an absolute blast. Given that I'm not going for marathon sessions I'm thinking of just ganking the difficulty up to 30 (I started off at 23). Assuming this will last me for months, and frankly I'll probably just run it back whenever I finish. I was always into the idea of Wii Fit, or fitness games in general, but this one just delivers so well it massively raises the bar for the entire concept.

So, basically, mad props to the team for marrying all of these concepts so well, and to Nintendo for being so willing to explore off the wall ideas like this. I

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a different impression from everyone else here, just because I think it might be worth hearing from more people who aren't crushing their exercises at difficulty 22 or whatever.

I did my first day on Sunday evening, I think the in-game timer hit 10 minutes of exercise and I finished World 1 on the difficulty level it assigned me after the questionnaire: 9. Way lower than nearly all the other reports I've seen in the thread.

It did a great job of working up a sweat, so I felt pretty good about stopping where I did. But that night it was hard to get to sleep because my arms and thighs were sore. The next day I found it difficult to walk up and especially down stairs. Even now I still find my thighs are a bit sore if I try to stretch out my legs, though they're no longer sore walking about and doing stairs.

I haven't played since, mostly because I haven't really had a chance to, but partially because I felt so terrible the day after that I feel like I can only really play on Fridays and Saturdays to give myself recovery time. I am definitely not in "play every day" territory, that's for sure.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a different impression from everyone else here, just because I think it might be worth hearing from more people who aren't crushing their exercises at difficulty 22 or whatever.

I did my first day on Sunday evening, I think the in-game timer hit 10 minutes of exercise and I finished World 1 on the difficulty level it assigned me after the questionnaire: 9. Way lower than nearly all the other reports I've seen in the thread.

It did a great job of working up a sweat, so I felt pretty good about stopping where I did. But that night it was hard to get to sleep because my arms and thighs were sore. The next day I found it difficult to walk up and especially down stairs. Even now I still find my thighs are a bit sore if I try to stretch out my legs, though they're no longer sore walking about and doing stairs.

I haven't played since, mostly because I haven't really had a chance to, but partially because I felt so terrible the day after that I feel like I can only really play on Fridays and Saturdays to give myself recovery time. I am definitely not in "play every day" territory, that's for sure.

The opening exercise routine can hit the legs pretty hard, man. Don't worry, it will even out pretty quickly. It is a good idea to take a few recovery days. I doubt it will hit you nearly as hard the next time around. One thing, though: make sure to observe the correct form. I doubt the problem was your form, but just in case.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Remember to stretch your back and use your shoulders within the movement as well. You can also clench your buttocks and thighs as you do it.
It is definitely easier move than plank lift or some of the later yoga moves, but it's not overpowered for very long ;)

Doing it with my wife.
Humble Bragging within forum post :P

Playing even once a week is a good thing if it is what suits you. That's one of the best aspects of the game, it keeps being supportive and scalable no matter how you play it or what your history is. Always listen to your body and feel absolutely zero shame or other negative feelings for resting or not feeling good about the excercises or the game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I had a similar experience after my first day. Especially those squats, they murdered by quads.

But then after a rest day I did it again and the squats weren't really that bad anymore. And I wasn't really that sore the following day either. I think it just takes a little while for your muscles to adjust to this kind of workout.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

Staying hydrated throughout the day helps with recovery for any type of exercise. If you are able to keep a water bottle with you throughout the day and can go through a few 24/32 oz refills it will help whenever you play this or do another workout as well as prepping you for the next day. I wouldn't worry about the amount of time you are playing, its actually good to stop earlier than later. When your form starts going, exercising longer but not doing ___ correctly can mitigate the exercise as well as cause stress on parts of your body (and lead to further soarness).

Any exercise the hardest part is always the begginging stages, you got it though!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The opening exercise routine can hit the legs pretty hard, man. Don't worry, it will even out pretty quickly. It is a good idea to take a few recovery days. I doubt it will hit you nearly as hard the next time around. One thing, though: make sure to observe the correct form. I doubt the problem was your form, but just in case.

God, I hope so! If this is a regular occurrence I feel like the quality of the exercise I get will be minimal because I won't be doing it often enough.

I am actually a little worried that my squats form during the running sessions isn't good. I read the post earlier in the thread describing proper squat form that I've been trying to follow for the exercise you do in battle, but the silent-mode-running squats feel like they have to be shallower and much, much quicker to set your avatar's hair aflame. I worry that this is leading me to just do them as fast as possible, as opposed to doing them "properly" (whatever that means--I'm not sure what a shallow squat form is supposed to look like).

EDIT: oops, lots more replies after refresh. Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'll definitely keep at it, probably starting tomorrow night!

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a galaxy watch and it would have be at 250 calories and Ring Fit would have me at 150 calories. Quite the difference. The HR is exact and pretty amazing how good it is compared to my watch.
So I exercised for 57 mins and Ring Fit is telling me I my actual exercise time is 37 minutes. That is 20 minute dealing with menus, decision making, catching my breath, moving from different positions, etc.

Is everyone seeing the similar results?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a galaxy watch and it would have be at 250 calories and Ring Fit would have me at 150 calories. Quite the difference. The HR is exact and pretty amazing how good it is compared to my watch.
So I exercised for 57 mins and Ring Fit is telling me I my actual exercise time is 37 minutes. That is 20 minute dealing with menus, decision making, catching my breath, moving from different positions, etc.

Definitely sounds right to me, my last gameplay session was 45 minutes but I think I only put in about 10 minutes of active play. Everything else was cutscenes, tutorials, warm-up and cooldown, etc. You can see what the game counts as exercise time by watching the clock on the bottom-left, and it is very strict.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game is only tracking your calories and playtime while you are activly exercising. You (after)burn quite a lot calories for example during small breaks with normal exercises and these calories do not get counted within Ring Fit Adventure. The game starts to act like you don't exist in the second that you stop moving.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

The game is only taking into consideration your actual moving workout time. Your heart is still beating quickly as you cool down between sets, so it makes sense that your watch would read it higher. I think you're actually burning much more than the game says since it's only counting that movement time.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game is only tracking your calories and playtime while you are activly exercising. You (after)burn quite a lot calories for example during small breaks with normal exercises and these calories do not get counted within Ring Fit Adventure. The game starts to act like you don't exist in the second that you stop moving.
Ye that is what I thought. I tested the timer and that shit just stops immediately as soon as you stop exercising.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playing even once a week is a good thing if it is what suits you. That's one of the best aspects of the game, it keeps being supportive and scalable no matter how you play it or what your history is. Always listen to your body and feel absolutely zero shame or other negative feelings for resting or not feeling good about the excercises or the game.
This is so much better and more positive than Runkeeper reminding me I haven't had any activity in 5 days and guilt tripping into going for a run while freezing my balls off lol.

Kanito8a

Apr 18, 2018

Same story for me. But I've keep playing everyday and now it doesn't hurt that bad (but still...it hurts a little :D).

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i´ve read a bit through the thread.

don´t get me wrong but i don´t think that this is a good thing for losing weight. it is a cardio exercise thing foremost and good for getting your systems going but as with all things fitness the first thing people need to adjust is their diet. 30minutes of this per day can´t replace a bad diet. bad diet means eating more calories than your body needs. bodies that do not exercise don´t need that many calories which leads to overweight.

if someone is expecting to lose weight with this, you are better off to completely change your diet and do some additional power training because that changes your bodyfat into muscles which is more effective for overweight people than cardio.

surely it is always a good thing "to get started" with this game/app but i don´t think there will be drastic results regarding weight loss.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I had to stop ring fit a few days ago due to a knee injury but Im kinda dying to get back into it. For now I am back to doing my morning and evening bike rides, but having ring fit replace the evening ride was a nice change up.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

don´t get me wrong but i don´t think that this is a good thing for losing weight. it is a cardio exercise thing foremost and good for getting your systems going but as with all things fitness the first thing people need to adjust is their diet. 30minutes of this per day can´t replace a bad diet. bad diet means eating more calories than your body needs. bodies that do not exercise don´t need that many calories which leads to overweight.

if someone is expecting to lose weight with this, you are better off to completely change your diet and do some additional power training because that changes your bodyfat into muscles which is more effective for overweight people than cardio.

surely it is always a good thing "to get started" with this game/app but i don´t think there will be drastic results regarding weight loss.
I don't know that people are expecting that tbh. I think it's more about getting into a mind space where you get in shape, with diet or whatever following suit. It removes a barrier to entry.
You could make the same warning about most exercise programs.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried it? This is far more than cardio. This is not weight lifting but it is not suppose to be. Everyone in here is complaining about their body hurting them. If you want to enhance your exercise then wrist/ankle/body weight would help. The point of this is to ease people into exercising daily and to make it fun. The problem with me and exercising is the sheer boredom i get with being on a thread mill or weight lifting. I start out with good intentions but fall off quickly cause I have to get ready, leave the house, then exercise around people, waiting for machines then drive back. I am not one of those people that finds exercising enjoyable.

No matter the exercise bad calories would hurt your exercise routine. Nutrition is extremely important.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I think the overhead/back presses strain my shoulder/neck muscles a bit too much. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. But woke up this morning with my right neck/shoulder tight/achey and feel like I need to stretch it out by tilting my head to the side. I think I need a massage.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
ah ok makes sense When I got to the arm master I had 40 min on the timer so it was kinda nice to use.

also, when you say the game auto populated your exercises, where's the option for that? I have just been selecting them myself.

That was the wrong way to put it. I just set workouts by muscle group when selecting fit skills.

Set Fit Skill > All

From there, it gives you muscle groupings and an Aerobic option. Hit one, then hit replace. You can change any single skill by using the other tabs.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That was the wrong way to put it. I just set workouts by muscle group when selecting fit skills.

Set Fit Skill > All

From there, it gives you muscle groupings and an Aerobic option. Hit one, then hit replace. You can change any single skill by using the other tabs.
Cool I'll give that a try

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Was reading a reddit thread about this and one of the comments was that some people do squats differently? Like you're supposed to be lowering your body, bending your knees, so the joycon on your thing is supposed to end up parallel to the ground. Apparently the way some people do squats is more like a kneel so that the thigh remains more vertical. Is that the problem you're having? I think this is the "don't let your knees go past your toes" thing that the game warns you about when you do squats. (Note: Supposedly that advice is sort of a myth esp. for deep squats, and it's more about where your body weight is centered as you go down)

Also before you get into the game, where it shows your ring-con and leg strap positions, press the B (or was it A? the bottom one) button while looking at the screen to recenter it. That could be another potential problem maybe.
I'm fairly sure I did it correctly earlier too, but this morning when I tried it again, I got "great" all the time. Maybe it was a calibration issue. But thanks anyway

Definitely keep on playing even if you need to take very slowly. You have so much to gain! Like seriously, even with fairly little playing at start, you should see a lot of improvement pretty fast.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

It put me at 11 the first time I played it (I don't exercise at all, except for taking an hour long walk every now and then) and the next day it asked me if it was too easy, so I said it was and it put me at 13. I'm at 14 now and I can still keep up, so I'm definitely making progress. From what I've seen it puts most 'regular' people around level 15 when you first start, so just keep playing when you can and you'll be just fine.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I found out today where it logs your workout.

The total exercise time for me now is about 4 hours but my profile says I have been using the game for more than 10 hours. I think this ratio will improve now that I have been through (hopefully) most of the tutorial stuff.