• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I've done a few days of this so far and enjoyed it - except for this one issue that has discouraged me from continuing.

The ab guard...really doesn't seem to block all damage if you do it right?

No matter what i try with it, I will still lose a fraction of a heart. This isn't too bad in the normal fights, but in long fights vs Dragaux, I lost twice in a row to him because of a battle of attrition vs his health bar. I really didn't like having put in the effort with the exercises twice just for it to not really 'count'. It feels bad, man.

I guess I'm supposed to make lots of smoothies just to keep up? Is there something else I'm missing?

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017
Can you just do cardio in this game, or are you forced into muscle group stuff? I weight train, but cardio has always been a blind spot of mine...I just find walking/running/cycling/etc so incredibly boring. Would be cool if this game could fill that spot.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ugh, that is a total bummer..I wonder what they're thinking with that. Well, now I've gotta give it some thought. Not super interested in having to swap games all the time. šŸ˜«
I think one reason is that the game can't be played without the ring and therefore people could buy it digital without knowing that and therefore demanding refunds. I guess Nintendo doesn't want to have to deal with that.
Also with digital they would need to speculate on how many rings they would need to sell then. Imagine people buying this digital en masse and then stores would run out of the ring.

I know having it digital would be easier for us but for Nintendo it makes a lot of sense.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
My tenth day of Ring fit. I really like it, I'm adding that to the normal workiuts I do :)

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
So is it good for building muscle or more for weight loss? I tend to have to go out of my way to not dip below my weight goal range, but I could definitely do with putting on some muscle.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a good game if you want to develop muscle?

I don't want to lose weight.
I haven't played the game myself, but I was in a position where I didn't want to do cardio, because I didn't want to lose weight- I've always felt like I needed to gin weight, but not matter how much I ate, I never did. I tried a few things, like home workouts and mobile workout apps, but they didn't work as well as just going to the gym and using their equipment. It's not the most desirable, I know, but since going to the gym for 2 months, I've actually managed to gain some weight through developing muscle.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've done a few days of this so far and enjoyed it - except for this one issue that has discouraged me from continuing.

No matter what i try with it, I will still lose a fraction of a heart. This isn't too bad in the normal fights, but in long fights vs Dragaux, I lost twice in a row to him because of a battle of attrition vs his health bar. I really didn't like having put in the effort with the exercises twice just for it to not really 'count'. It feels bad, man.

I guess I'm supposed to make lots of smoothies just to keep up? Is there something else I'm missing?

The ab guard rarely actually negates all damage, if you get a "great" after it's done then you've done it correctly. And yes you are definitely supposed to make and use smoothies once you get the ability to.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I think one reason is that the game can't be played without the ring and therefore people could buy it digital without knowing that and therefore demanding refunds. I guess Nintendo doesn't want to have to deal with that.
Also with digital they would need to speculate on how many rings they would need to sell then. Imagine people buying this digital en masse and then stores would run out of the ring.

I know having it digital would be easier for us but for Nintendo it makes a lot of sense.

Yup. Stores would have to keep two SKUS one with the required equipment one with out. People would constantly be buying the one that doesn't include the game and "oh my god nintendo you idiots it doesnt have the game!!!"

Ideally what should happen is you buy the physical and it comes with a download copy as well. Though I'm sure then people would complain about not having a physical cartridge so they'd get "oh my god no physical copy what a joke"

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why did I not bother to open this thread and read the OP until now? Skittzo, you sold me on the game just now. I've been thinking of starting to exercise (outside of cycling to university), but I've been hesitant on the whats and hows. I'm definitely following the thread and trying the game now. Good day, everyone :)

Nov 5, 2017

Ab guard is the one thing, so far early in the game, that I suck at. I lose a bunch but I kinda think I figured it out. All I do is just squeeze the ring as hard as I can and just hold it. The demo they show of it makes it hard to figure out since they do it from above.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Ab guard is the one thing, so far early in the game, that I suck at. I lose a bunch but I kinda think I figured it out. All I do is just squeeze the ring as hard as I can and just hold it. The demo they show of it makes it hard to figure out since they do it from above.

AB guard doesn't block everything so taking hearts doesn't mean you suck at it. As you level up and get better defense it helps a ton against some enemies, but some attacks you are just going to take damage no mater what. So you'll need smoothies or the heart moves.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I've been a bit irregular with this game the last month. Haven't completely abandoned it but closer to doing it every other day than every day like I should be.
That being said, I was feeling good today and did a full hour active time. I need more days like this cause I do enjoy the workout. I just need to start and I'm good to go

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Can you just do cardio in this game, or are you forced into muscle group stuff? I weight train, but cardio has always been a blind spot of mine...I just find walking/running/cycling/etc so incredibly boring. Would be cool if this game could fill that spot.
Yeah, Ring Fit is perfect for that. Lots of cardio and isometric exercises with high number of reps that have me sweating my ass off after a good session. I usually only lift weights and Ring Fit perfectly fills that gap as a fun way to get my heartrate up for extended periods.
So is it good for building muscle or more for weight loss?
Neither really but it's a great mix of cross-training exercises that target cardiovascular health, conditioning, and endurance; just a really fun addition to a healthy lifestyle or massive game changer if you typically don't get any exercise whatsoever.

You might burn off a measly 150 calories in a session but whether you lose any real weight comes down to having a caloric deficit in your diet, and the reverse holds true for gaining muscle. If you're a beginner you might gain a good bit of muscle with the light resistance and bodyweight exercises the game offers but without being able to increase weight (only reps) you'll eventually plateau. Exercises with reps higher than ~15 are KILLER for endurance but not great for muscle hypertrophy.

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ring Fit is perfect for that. Lots of cardio and isometric exercises with high number of reps that have me sweating my ass off after a good session. I usually only lift weights and Ring Fit perfectly fills that gap as a fun way to get my heartrate up for extended periods.
Neither really but it's a great mix of cross-training exercises that target cardiovascular health, conditioning, and endurance; just a really fun addition to a healthy lifestyle or massive game changer if you typically don't get any exercise whatsoever.

You might burn off a measly 150 calories in a session but whether you lose any real weight comes down to having a caloric deficit in your diet, and the reverse holds true for gaining muscle. If you're a beginner you might gain a good bit of muscle with the light resistance and bodyweight exercises the game offers but without being able to increase weight (only reps) you'll eventually plateau. Exercises with reps higher than ~15 are KILLER for endurance but not great for muscle hypertrophy.

Fuck yes. Gonna seriously consider grabbing this then.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the answer. I lost a lot of weight last year and have been really good at staying in a two pound range for the last three months, but I could do with some muscle gain.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Got this game a few days ago and really enjoying it. Kids and wife are into it as well.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been doing 15-20 mins a day at difficulty level 22 and it's been a great workout. Also now that I've done a few workouts I think I'm finally healthy enough to hit the gym again and lift weights after getting injured a month ago. If I can squeeze it I'm gonna try to keep doing RFA on rest days as long as I don't overexert myself.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Would you recommend this game if I don't want to burn fat, just gain (some) muscle? I am talking mainly about getting a butt and maybe build some pecs/arms.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend this game if I don't want to burn fat, just gain (some) muscle? I am talking mainly about getting a butt and maybe build some pecs/arms.

You can do the exercise sets exclusively to avoid too much cardio (running in place) or just eat more protein with your diet.

But the amount of squats the game makes you do in adventure mode is probably a pretty good way to get a butt. There's also a glutes set in the quick mode.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped doing the adventure mode and just do a run through of the workout sets. The adventure mode has too much down time and the battle system, while cool, can be frustrating. Enemies surviving with a sliver of health is the biggest annoyance.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so hard to find in the UK. High seller or classic Nintendo understocking?

I'm also having trouble finding it. It was one of those things that I didn't bother pre-ordering because I didn't need it before the new year (too many games and just bought a new computer) but now I could do with it and fit it in and now it's sold out everywhere.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Enemies surviving with a sliver of health is the biggest annoyance.
You can learn something like "power phases" (forgot what it is called) which gives you a chance to finish enemies that are low on hp with new mini-exercises and you can also increase the chance of triggering those phases. I think I can finish low hp mobs usually in 4 out 5 chances or something like that. Maybe slightly less.

Maybe I've missed in-game but I don't think that the game has ever explained those skills / phases in any way.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Ring Fit not too long after it released, but I'm trying to establish a habit of doing it at least every other day. What difficulty setting is everyone playing at? I started 21, but I found I was getting dizzy and nauseous after around 15 minutes. I don't exercise regularly so I think I'm just really out of shape -- even when I was exercising often, I was only doing cardio, so I think my body isn't used to strength training.

I kicked it down to 14 and the dizziness and nausea is gone, but I don't feel like I'm working quite as hard. I'm thinking of scaling it back up slowly, but I'm interested to know where others are at (and what their general fitness level is).

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You can learn something like "power phases" (forgot what it is called) which gives you a chance to finish enemies that are low on hp with new mini-exercises and you can also increase the chance of triggering those phases. I think I can finish low hp mobs usually in 4 out 5 chances or something like that. Maybe slightly less.

Maybe I've missed in-game but I don't think that the game has ever explained those skills / phases in any way.

Are you talking about the rush attacks? They trigger after moves sometimes once you buy them on the skill tree.

The enemy gets stunned and then you literally ORA ORA ORA them with a corresponding exercise for extra damage. It doesn't always finish them off but it's fun as hell.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I wish so much I could play this game, but unfortunately Amazon won't ship it to my country and there isn't even one for sale on Mercadolibre, why must destiny be so cruel.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I picked up Ring Fit not too long after it released, but I'm trying to establish a habit of doing it at least every other day. What difficulty setting is everyone playing at? I started 21, but I found I was getting dizzy and nauseous after around 15 minutes. I don't exercise regularly so I think I'm just really out of shape -- even when I was exercising often, I was only doing cardio, so I think my body isn't used to strength training.

I kicked it down to 14 and the dizziness and nausea is gone, but I don't feel like I'm working quite as hard. I'm thinking of scaling it back up slowly, but I'm interested to know where others are at (and what their general fitness level is).
I lift weights pretty regularly but I took it down to 15 to get a more balanced battle / story progression. Battles are an insane workout at higher levels but they can take foreverrrrr and my wife was leaving me in the dust story-wise :3

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you are getting dizzy or nausea after excercise, especially if you don't do it often, it could be related to your blood sugar levels. Try eating a good meal prior to it and stay well hydrated.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I lift weights pretty regularly but I took it down to 15 to get a more balanced battle / story progression. Battles are an insane workout at higher levels but they can take foreverrrrr and my wife was leaving me in the dust story-wise :3
Yeah, battles take way too long imo. I'd like to progress faster. I turned it down from 20 to 15, too.
Just beat the second world.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I think it's a great game but there's a few things i wish it did differently.

A moves attack power doesn't really seem to correspond with the physical difficulty of the move. It also makes me prioritise moves that do more damage, rather than what part of my body i want to work out.

Hopefully this will get better over time as I unlock more exercises however early going my legs are fucked and my upper body feels nothing.

I know it doesn't have much impact on the actual damage but I really hate that enemies are weak to a particular move, same issue as above, it feels like its locking me into certain exercises for no reason other than gamification.

I think the introduction to new exercises could happen a bit faster and the damage they do evened out a bit. At the moment i have like 10 moves that do 25-35 damage and one more (warrior pose 1) that does like 60. Obviously i always want to use warrior pose from a game point of view, but as far as an exercise it's absolutely shit.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
The boss battles were mostly where I was feeling challenged. They can go on for so long! They're a great workout, though.
If you are getting dizzy or nausea after excercise, especially if you don't do it often, it could be related to your blood sugar levels. Try eating a good meal prior to it and stay well hydrated.
I'm definitely keeping hydrated, but I am trying to be more conscious of eating before I Ring Fit. I definitely wasn't some of the times I got nauseous. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing Ring Fit in the mornings, but I also need to get into the habit of eating in the mornings, too.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up today!

I'm the kind of person who's always struggled to get into exercise for whatever reason: too boring, not interested in competition (sports), or just not sure what to do or how long to do it. This game kind of solves all those problems which is nice. I think more than anything, I appreciate how easy it is to get into. Looking forward to continuing it!

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I pretty much do zero fitness; all the health benefits from this sound great and are themselves good motivators for me to get this, but the main thing I'm looking for is a way to get a more well-toned stomach / lose fat. I currently have a bit of a gut. Will RFA help me get rid of it?

And a more general question: What would be a rough timeframe for the improvements I could expect to get from this?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I pretty much do zero fitness; all the health benefits from this sound great and are themselves good motivators for me to get this, but the main thing I'm looking for is a way to get a more well-toned stomach / lose fat. I currently have a bit of a gut. Will RFA help me get rid of it?

And a more general question: What would be a rough timeframe for the improvements I could expect to get from this?
Personally haven't tried RFA yet (I said yesterday in this thread that I'm definitely going to!), but in general to get rid of fat comes through a combination of four factors:

- Eat healthy. So ditch fastfood, and eat fruit as a snack instead of cookies, sweets, ice cream, etc.
- Use your body. Take the stairs, walk or cycle short distances (let's say <1 km, <0.7 miles), and start exercising/playing RFA two to four days a week for an hour. You'll gain more from two one-hour sessions on different days than one two-hour session, since your body will become very tired and needs its rest to rebuild itself (but stronger).
- Take your rest. Your body will need time to rebuild/reshape itself. Rest is as important as good food, so make sure to take at least 8 hours of sleep every night. Also, it helps to take rest days. If you decide to exercise 4 times a week, do it on Sun-Tue-Thu-Sat for example rather than Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun. Spread it out.
- Look in the mirror. Don't forget this. Maybe take a picture of yourself in boxer shorts once a week, so you can compare and actually show yourself the results of your efforts. It takes time, but you should start seeing (or feeling!) the first effects of your change in life style within a few weeks.

These are just general fitness/exercising tips that I got from an acquaintance of mine who's been doing this for literally decades (he's 50 now and healthy af). I assume they will apply for RFA as well. I'm going to experience that myself in the coming weeks as well.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

The game does offer ways to do the exercises outside of the normal "story" mode type of play. Where you pick a certain set of exercises you can do. Such as if you want to just work arms or legs or an aerobic set or a stamina set. So some of them are much more speedy and cardio like than doing squats or presses and various yoga moves but it doesn't look like any are pure running.

There is at least one mini game for running, but if you are in it for pure running probably not the game for you.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How much room do you need for this game? The room where my Switch is relatively small, I could move my office chair out of the way and it'd give me just enough space needed for a press up for example.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
How much room do you need for this game? The room where my Switch is relatively small, I could move my office chair out of the way and it'd give me just enough space needed for a press up for example.

From what I've played of it so far, you ideally need enough space to be able to sit on the floor with outwards stretched straight legs.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Height wise: you need to be able to stand up, rise your arms above your head and have room left to go for a small jump.
Width wise: be able to completely lay down and have some space left to put your arms behind your head. The direction doesn't matter, you don't have to face the TV.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I did my first day of this yesterday. The first three levels, my legs hurt from the squats Hahahah. Really fun little game that I'll come back to regularly.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Personally haven't tried RFA yet (I said yesterday in this thread that I'm definitely going to!), but in general to get rid of fat comes through a combination of four factors:

- Eat healthy. So ditch fastfood, and eat fruit as a snack instead of cookies, sweets, ice cream, etc.
- Use your body. Take the stairs, walk or cycle short distances (let's say <1 km, <0.7 miles), and start exercising/playing RFA two to four days a week for an hour. You'll gain more from two one-hour sessions on different days than one two-hour session, since your body will become very tired and needs its rest to rebuild itself (but stronger).
- Take your rest. Your body will need time to rebuild/reshape itself. Rest is as important as good food, so make sure to take at least 8 hours of sleep every night. Also, it helps to take rest days. If you decide to exercise 4 times a week, do it on Sun-Tue-Thu-Sat for example rather than Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun. Spread it out.
- Look in the mirror. Don't forget this. Maybe take a picture of yourself in boxer shorts once a week, so you can compare and actually show yourself the results of your efforts. It takes time, but you should start seeing (or feeling!) the first effects of your change in life style within a few weeks.

These are just general fitness/exercising tips that I got from an acquaintance of mine who's been doing this for literally decades (he's 50 now and healthy af). I assume they will apply for RFA as well. I'm going to experience that myself in the coming weeks as well.
Thanks for taking the time to write out this info! Hope you'll enjoy the game :-)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

If you put honest effort in to this, you will definitely get more toned and lose fat and you'll notice it in as little as a week - but others probably will take a bit longer to notice - still, you'll definitely feel progress right from the second week and if you stick with it through a whole month there's no way others won't see it after that imo, unless you are actively offsetting it by only doing 10 minutes a day and eating an entire cake every night or something haha.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019

I don't know if you noticed it during your fights, but you do more damage if the exercise is done a certain way (e.g. squeeze harder, squat lower, etc.) It can be hard to get it every time, but the extra damage goes a long way in those drawn out battles.

I don't think I'm as far as you though, so maybe it is related to making the smoothies like someone else mentioned.