• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The problem is that the most important principal of strength training is progressive overload which you cannot do with this game. Therefore it cannot be more then some glorified cardio. That doesn't mean it's bad but it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for resistance training.
To be fair to the game, I'm by no means a fitness buff, but I do bench 50kg at 70kg bodyweight, and the resistance on the ring is really pretty decent. Especially the over the head presses I can feel my muscles a bit. That said, it is indeed mostly to supplant cardio, which I never do because it's boring and I don't really believe in cardio when it comes to toning your body, and RFA has me working up a sweat in 15 minutes, which almost never happens in the gym (admittedly it's warmer in my house than the gym).

Those two sentences are out of order.

Time to put the ol' ignore button to work I guess; people here are obviously not going to spontaneously grow some self-awareness anytime soon.
I don't think it should have been called a bad take, but everyone should do some strength training, according to the WHO.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I think this game will be a nice complement to my days at the gym, and even better for days where it's too cold/messy to get down to the gym.
Helps that it seems to be a lot of fun, too!

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
If you include a resistance ring in the game you shouldn't be surprised people think it's used for resistance training. If it's "only" a way of doing cardio then the benefits of the game will be much smaller. Strength training simply is an important part of overall health and fitness.

It is a Pilates Ring and no one is saying Pilates is a replacement for Strength Training either i think? What benefits are we talking about by way? Because I think the benefit for ones health are defenitly big compared to doing nothing, even without Strenght Training.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
the Statement of "the best workout the OP has ever had" is mostly in the context of motivation and that it makes him want to do it everyday. Not in the context of getting way better results than other workouts if he would do them everyday. That is not realy what this thread is about.
Bingo. I thought my OP made that clear enough.
Well you're right, an average fitness routine you're actually doing is better than the best possible routine that you're not doing. Still, I hope that once people are done with RFA (after completing all the challenges, due to not getting results anymore or getting bored with it), they won't go back to a completely sedentary life.

You seem to be very insecure and ill-informed.
"In order to maintain long-term health you should:
a) sleep 7-8 hours every night"
"Right..."
"b) brush their teeth at least twice a day"
"True..."
"c) eat (mostly) unprocessed foods"
"That's not wrong"
"d) do strength and mobility exercises several times a week"
"Get out of here you evil, self-obsessed, narcissistic dudebro!"

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is a Pilates Ring and no one is saying Pilates is a replacement for Strength Training either i think? What benefits are we talking about by way? Because I think the benefit for ones health are defenitly big compared to doing nothing, even without Strenght Training.
I am not high on Pilates either ;p

And yes, doing something is always better than doing nothing and it's not like I am telling anyone here to stop. But if even one person comes out of this thread thinking "maybe I should do even more" than that's a good thing imo.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

And yes, doing something is always better than doing nothing and it's not like I am telling anyone here to stop. But if even one person comes out of this thread thinking "maybe I should do even more" than that's a good thing imo.

Then why are you even complaining for?

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Anyways. Enough of this discussion. Bottom line is: the game is good and fun. It may be not enough to be a complete functional workout (especially in the strenght department), but that is not the objective of the game.

The objective of the game is to motiveate people to do exercise. If that is enough for you, that is great. If you feel that it is not enough, or that you could compliment is with something else, then there are always more options.

I'd personally recommend either fitness groups, gyms or the fitness communities we already have in EtcetERA hangouts: FitnessERA and RunningERA. As many people there will be willing to help and advice you.

As for the game. It is fun. I enjoy it. Nad it is a good workout.

Eat healthy, excercise, sleep what you need to and most importantly: have fun.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

The Problem is most of the negative replies come of as telling people that its not worth it if they don't do Strength Training as well (even if you didn't mean it that way), which will just leads them to stop playing the game if they believe you, because it is very likely that they don't want to do Strenght Training at the moment, otherwise they would already do it. And if its not worth it why continue. And I think its way more likely that they will go Strenght Training some day if they keep playing the game instead of stoping it.

It would have been way better if you would have just said "hey if you like how it improves your health. You can try Strenght Training in the future as well. It will boost your health even more." Which has a way higher likelyhood of people picking it up in the future

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Problem is most of the negative replies come of as telling people that its not worth it if they don't do Strength Training as well (even if you didn't mean it that way), which will just leads them to stop playing the game if they believe you, because it is very likely that they don't want to do Strenght Training at the moment, otherwise they would already do it. And if its not worth it why continue. And I think its way more likely that they will go Strenght Training some day if they keep playing the game instead of stoping it.

It would have been way better if you would have just said "hey if you like how it improves your health. You can try Strenght Training in the future as well. It will boost your health even more." Which has a way higher likelyhood of people picking it up in the future
Good point, you're probably right.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is about RFA's merits as a workout tool, and it's not only said to be good but "the best workout the OP has ever had". When people discuss this statement, you're throwing derogatory terms around (like dudebros) and put words in people's mouth (I've never suggested one shouldn't play this game). I'm not sure it's me who's at odds with this thread's purpose.
Nah. You have this weird flex (see what I did there?) to focus on only muscle gains. Otherwise it doesn't count as exercise. No gain? no game!

See: we have people in this thread that are actually powerlifting.
Yet you feel the need to enter this thread to proclaim that people only like the game because they see noob gains.
Guess the professional fitness coaches that reviewed the game have also no idea because they also just got noob gains.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
No kidding. It's scary to think these are the dudebros literate enough to use a computer and make an Era account; I can't imagine what the average steroids-chugging musclehead thinks of normal people. Absolutely beyond disgusting.
Man, I gotta' tell you: this is the wrong way to go about doing this. Criticisms like these are often a confession of character. Assuming people are inept, self-involved jerkbags because they've expressed concerns of fitness posterity beyond the game is unfounded. Really, it just makes you appear as reactive and rude dude.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

I'll tell you what will actually happen with posts like yours and some others' - for every person that will come out of this thread thinking "maybe I should do even more", there will be 10 that will come out thinking "fuck it, even this is not enough? might as well give up now/no use even beginning with this game". And no, I am not joking, reading your posts and some others' take away the motivation from people who have a hard time as it is getting into exercising. As to me? I am a former triathlete and current long distance runner, and this game complements things nicely for me, including its strength aspects. But if I wasa person for who it was hard to get in to exercise (of which there are many on these forums, or so it seems) and then read your posts, they would have taken away a lot of my motivation. And no, that is not a good thing, especially not for those that have a hard time getting into any exercise.

Edit: I think someone else said it before me (probably better) while I was writing this

Last edited:

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I do want to apologize for one of my earlier posts, as it was reactionary and out of place. Labels, especially of the derogatory kind, are always bad.

Even so, the fact that this game is a legit workout is still true. Maybe not a high level one, bit it is still a workout all the same.

Who knows. Maybe this game will be the gateway they need to get into fitness. And I hope the members of this community can support and motivate one another to have a healthier lifestyle. Even if they are at different levels.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Nah. You have this weird flex (see what I did there?) to focus on only muscle gains. Otherwise it doesn't count as exercise. No gain? no game!

See: we have people in this thread that are actually powerlifting.
Yet you feel the need to enter this thread to proclaim that people only like the game because they see noob gains.
Guess the professional fitness coaches that reviewed the game have also no idea because they also just got noob gains.
While I said everything I wanted to say in this thread, I'll just give you a word of advice - stop using strawmen as the crux of your argument.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This thread is a real trip. I have to wonder what the hell some people are wanting?

On one hand we have the reality that most of us sit in our chairs and at our desks all day not exercising at all. I repeat, not. at. all. We have a game here that is getting us up and moving. If you play the game it doesn't make any of these promises people seem to think it makes, it tells you pretty flat out what it will do and what it won't do and it recommends many more things.

Yet some are so adamant that it's not a real work out or not good enough, when in reality if for a lot of us, if this is all we ever do we are going to be extremely more active and healthier than we otherwise would be.

Seems some folks would rather us all do nothing if we aren't going to work out in your set way.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The bottom line here is that this game has me exercising much more often than I would be otherwise. And that's because it has turned exercise from a chore into a fun activity that I look forward to every day.

I'd love to have that same attitude about going to the gym or really any other type of exercise, but the reality is I'm 31 and nothing else I've tried in my ~17 years of structured exercise has given me the type of motivation that this has.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The bottom line here is that this game has me exercising much more often than I would be otherwise. And that's because it has turned exercise from a chore into a fun activity that I look forward to every day.

I'd love to have that same attitude about going to the gym or really any other type of exercise, but the reality is I'm 31 and nothing else I've tried in my ~17 years of structured exercise has given me the type of motivation that this has.
It's sad the thread took the path that it did, because ultimately many players are having the same experience you are. The game is a success in all respects and the aggressive gatekeeping in this thread is unhelpful, even harmful.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel you OP. I´m 39 years old and am a bit overweight, nothing too serious, but I need more exercise. Thing is I loathe practicing sport just for the sake of it. 2 years ago I used to get up at 5:00 AM and run 10KM before going to work 4 times a week. I kept this up for a bit more than a year but ultimately got incredibly bored by it. Going to the gym is the same for me, I just get bored just doing exercise because. Swimming? The same. Now, if it´s something I enjoy I can be hours at it, like soccer, basketball or skating. Thing is you need more people for that and the weather here sucks so I won´t be able to skate regularly again until March-April.

RFA however makes sport enjoyable and available at any time. I´m finishing the last repetitions of an exercise and am thnking about what my next move is going to be to kill the enemies in the most efficient way, while handling the cooldowns and remembering to check my health because maybe I need to use a healing move. Just see how in that sentece I only reffered to the exercise part with the very first few words and the rest is all about the game. And that´s precisely why each day I am itching to play it.

Oh and the exercise is legit. To those trying to downplay this game: You should be looking for more positive ways to be using your time, just like those of us who´re playing it are doing!

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
As a sidenote without giving any space for the person who made a claim that they aren't high on pilates.

Pilates is one of the most studied workout methods in the entire world. It's one of few training methods that has stood the test of time for over a f***ing century. There are absolutely ZERO negatives on doing pilates. Dismissing pilates as a training method is dismissing whole grain as a dietary method or repetition as a form of learning.

Pilates and core training are few of the best possible methods to gain well-being, which this particular game is about. IF and I can't stress this enough, IF you want to gain muscle mass do weight training. IF you want to learn to run a marathon, start running. IF your goal is to lose significant amount of weight make a dietary plan and do your best to stick with it.

But if you want to gain better fitness level, tone your body, feel more well and be more active in your life. This is a goddamn good software and hardware for that.

Stop being elitist know-it-alls based on your own limited scope of knowledge.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a sidenote without giving any space for the person who made a claim that they aren't high on pilates.

Pilates is one of the most studied workout methods in the entire world. It's one of few training methods that has stood the test of time for over a f***ing century. There are absolutely ZERO negatives on doing pilates. Dismissing pilates as a training method is dismissing whole grain as a dietary method or repetition as a form of learning.

Pilates and core training are few of the best possible methods to gain well-being, which this particular game is about. IF and I can't stress this enough, IF you want to gain muscle mass do weight training. IF you want to learn to run a marathon, start running. IF your goal is to lose significant amount of weight make a dietary plan and do your best to stick with it.

But if you want to gain better fitness level, tone your body, feel more well and be more active in your life. This is a goddamn good software and hardware for that.

Stop being elitist know-it-alls based on your own limited scope of knowledge.
Could you cite any evidence for your claims?

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
If you have time for this, but you don't have time to work out, you're "lazy".
If you have time for this, but you don't have time to work at a soup shelter, you're "selfish".
If you have time for this, but you don't have time to spend several hours a day reading through the entire human body of literature, you're "illiterate".
If you etc. etc. Yet again, can we please get this kind of shit the fuck out of here?
I don't think that was his point at all. Anyone is free not to work out, not to work at a soup shelter, not to read. But if you tell me you'd really want to start reading, but can't find the time to do so while broswing the web for 4 hours a day? Well, you're probably bullshiting. The truth being that you would rather do something else instead. Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

On topic: Good for you OP. Any form of exercise is always better than no exercise at all. If gamefying training helps you to stay motivated, more power to you! Going to the gym can be hard. It took me over a year before I learned to appreciate it. I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to invest that much energy and time into something that initially, really isn't that much fun.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, but I could not find anything supporting your claim "Pilates and core training are few of the best possible methods to gain well-being" or anything else that would make Pilates better in achieving an improvement in fitness that is not more effectively done by another form of excercise.

Maybe you misunderstood. I never said Pilates is nonsense. I just wonder what you think you can achieve with Pilates what other workouts couldn't do more efffectively?

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game, if anything, destroys your legs and, if you put it on a high enough difficulty (I think I'm 26) can honestly help you burn calories pretty quickly.

It's a really great cardio workout and helps me feel better about the days I skip the gym. Sometimes after work, I'm too beat to leave the house again, and this gives you no excuse.

Honestly one of the best purchases I've made in a while.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Like I said in the OT I had this set to 20 I think and this game kicked my ass doing the first 3 stages only.

I'm not a fitness nut but I do light exercise with running, push-ups, sit-ups, healthy diet, etc. and apparently this showed me how out of shape I still am.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I've heard that a VR boxing trainer/sim called The Thrill Of The Fight is the most intense workout of any game, currently.

I own it and love it, but I'm going to say that that ain't true if we properly analyze it.
It's the most intense in making you sweat.
Yeah, couple of fight you'll be dripping in sweat and almost dying if you aren't prepared. So it's great to have you move your ass and of course fighting is inherently cool. But a workout session it ain't.

As a full on workout tool RFA is much better and complete than TTotF, it ain't even close.
Of course the price is also much different... everything about them really, the only thing in common is they'll make you sweat.
TTotF is cool but it's no substitute to a proper gym workout or RFA.
But if you're looking to just make you move your ass then oh boy it definitely will and look out to being sore as fuck the next day if you put your full into it and go beyond 20 minutes, lol

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Man, I gotta' tell you: this is the wrong way to go about doing this. Criticisms like these are often a confession of character. Assuming people are inept, self-involved jerkbags because they've expressed concerns of fitness posterity beyond the game is unfounded. Really, it just makes you appear as reactive and rude dude.

You're most definitely right and not misrepresenting the entire content of the thread at all; I'm definitely calling people out for "expressing concerns of fitness posterity", and not because they've literally called others "lazy" for not spending 5+ hours a week in the gym, among many other examples of intrusive and dismissive behaviour about their lifestyles.

cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks, but I could not find anything supporting your claim "Pilates and core training are few of the best possible methods to gain well-being" or anything else that would make Pilates better in achieving an improvement in fitness that is not more effectively done by another form of excercise.

Maybe you misunderstood. I never said Pilates is nonsense. I just wonder what you think you can achieve with Pilates what other workouts couldn't do more efffectively?
You literally said you don't think very highly of it.

You dismissed it based on nothing.

I quite clearly pointed out that there are multiple things for multiple goals. I also said they are FEW of the best. There are other things that can help your well being. You are simply twisting my commentary because you can't for some reason accept the fact that there is a thing that is a good basis for workout based on your personal bias.

There are plenty of things that you can do that can work better than Pilates on many things. But Pilates, core training and light or mediocre cardio excercise are absolutely good for your overall well-being.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't think that was his point at all. Anyone is free not to work out, not to work at a soup shelter, not to read. But if you tell me you'd really want to start reading, but can't find the time to do so while broswing the web for 4 hours a day? Well, you're probably bullshiting. The truth being that you would rather do something else instead. Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

You're doing the exact same dismissive and assuming shit that he has. How in the fuck did you get to the conclusion that they spend 4 hours a day browsing the web? How is this warranted, like, at all?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you do realise that this is incredibly condescending to people who might already have self-doubt on whether or not they are able to do physical excercise or on their self-image.

I hope you also realize that not everyone actually lives in a place where gyms are viable option. And I hope you realize that even though you may see this as valid criticism towards people life choices it would require yourself to be somewhat on a high horse on any given issue, not just physical health.

Eh, if you read this thread thoroughly you'd see I don't like gyms much myself and really like this game - I've said before it's probably the best gamified exercise routine I've ever used (and I've done quite a few, some very good ones, which I don't mind name dropping over and over but enough is enough).

I live a pretty busy life and don't have much free time during weekdays - and on weekends when I'm not with my daughter I'm probably doing other stuff that needs to get done or trying to work and get some extra money. So RFA fits in to my limited schedule great, and it's really, really fun too.

However I'm perfectly capable of playing devil's advocate on my position which is what I was doing, in the post you quoted of mine. I was merely saying that someone who desires much better fitness in their life has been told by some in the thread that they should be going to a gym, not waste their time with this product. I don't think that's necessarily a 100% incorrect POV, and if you're someone who has time to spend gaming and browsing the net in abundance, and you want to be fit, then why not do it the "right" way? At the very least you should be asking yourself that question, imo. I've tried gyms in the past and know they aren't for me. But I also don't think it's wrong to believe a gym will produce a better workout than RFA - especially if you're already at the point of very high fitness and muscular - RFA at this point might be a big step down from what you're used to.

So like I said before people are coming at this arguing entirely different angles and that's the main issue in these last few pages. We're all arguing with each other in a discussion but the things we're saying are entirely different so we'll never agree with one another because we're not discussing the same things.

The sedentary person who doesn't do anything at all but sit all day has a lot to gain from RFA. The person who's already a 9/10 on the way to being the next model for some piece of gym equipment advertisement or who could get a job at a gym as a personal trainer just like that probably will find the idea that RFA is a great way to get fit for them personally to be a bit less believable - what they are considering fit is probably even beyond their 9/10 level of having the absolutely perfect body / fitness compared to what the person who never exercises who's a 0 / 10 considers to be fit.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Pilates and resistance training are not mutually exclusive, do not train the muscles in the same way, and can give complimentary, yet different, results.

There is no study that exists that claims that resistance training is the best way to train muscles. Progressive overload is for a specific task.

The sedentary person who doesn't do anything at all but sit all day has a lot to gain from RFA. The person who's already a 9/10 on the way to being the next model for some piece of gym equipment advertisement or who could get a job at a gym as a personal trainer just like that probably will find the idea that RFA is a great way to get fit for them personally to be a bit less believable - what they are considering fit is probably even beyond their 9/10 level of having the absolutely perfect body / fitness compared to what the person who never exercises who's a 0 / 10 considers to be fit.

I've trained my entire life and I very much have a fitness model body, and RFA has pushed and improved areas of fitness (flexibility, stamina, endurance) that simple resistance training has never done.

This can be a workout, complimentary or primary, for anyone at any skill level.

Dec 20, 2017
As a group fitness instructor, I tend to tell people the best exercise is the one you'll do. Really glad people are liking this.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The mod staff is all volunteers and we can't pay attention to every thread as much as we'd like to. Please report any posts that might be breaking the TOS so they get more visibility

I did that first of all, of course, including one post where someone called other users "lazy" a couple of times, but no action seems to have been taken. I'm not entirely sure why the standard trolling and threadshitting rules seem to be suspended for this specific game. *shrug*

I'll leave it at that since this is probably getting too close to backseat modding.

Sorry dude. I have no horse in this race

Well, you shouldn't let that stop you, considering the amount of people in this thread that haven't even seen a horse yet act like certified vets...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
You're doing the exact same dismissive and assuming shit that he has. How in the fuck did you get to the conclusion that they spend 4 hours a day browsing the web? How is this warranted, like, at all?

Calm down dude. My example, my rules. You don't like it too bad. I set the terms, if they aren't true for you then who cares, they don't apply. Why you getting so set off? There's plenty of people that waste time on the web, or their phones, it's not like it's unheard of. I didn't name drop you or anyone else here, I just made an example up to begin my hypothetical argument - which mirrored arguments others before me brought in this thread - to address it further - like I said devil's advocate.

Look. This is the post that set everything off in the thread to a more critical / dudebro direction. And now he's banned, so I guess that train of thinking has run its course here. He was definitely very dismissive in his posts - by far the most dismissive of anyone in the thread imo. Hopefully all the discourse over the last bunch of pages was valuable - I learned some stuff anyway. Like the post a few above mine here had pretty good insights about how someone who's very fit might still find RFA a perfectly fine tool to use in their routine or to even solely be their routine.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Calm down dude. My example, my rules. You don't like it too bad. I set the terms, if they aren't true for you then who cares, they don't apply. Why you getting so set off? There's plenty of people that waste time on the web, or their phones, it's not like it's unheard of. I didn't name drop you or anyone else here, I just made an example up to begin my hypothetical argument - which mirrored arguments others before me brought in this thread - to address it further - like I said devil's advocate.

First, I'm going to charitably disregard your embarrassing tone policing. You're welcome.

Second, you keep moving the goalposts. You first posted that criticising people reading Resetera and playing videogames for not going to the gym was fair criticism, here:
Hey, if you have time to spend posting and reading on Resetera, and you have time to spend playing video games, but you don't have time to go do real exercies... well, you can do the math I guess. I mean it's not wrong. Sure you could be disabled, or have some weird circumstance preventing you from doing it, but though it's not nice, it's a fair criticism.
From that it somehow spiraled into a fantasy scenario of spending four hours a day on Era, just so you could somehow be justified. And now you're backpedaling into admitting that this strawman is some kind of "example" that doesn't apply to anyone in this thread (no shit), but with the spin that they're the ones at fault for feeling insulted by it, because if it wasn't true, then it obviously didn't refer to them. In other words, you yelled "YOU BASTARDS!", then told people it's their fault to feel insulted if they're not bastards.

And third, because you seem a bit confused about it: "devil's advocate" doesn't mean "saying literally any crazy thing then not defending it because I don't (claim to) believe it". You're still expected to defend the idea with arguments, otherwise don't waste everyone's time.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place I can go to read up on all this game's lore, world, story, characters? There's no wiki for me to dive into as there would be for a new Mario or Zelda release.

Im not in a position to get it right now but I wanna start my Smash speculation and a new world Nintendo creates is always exciting for me.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st page is :D

last page is D:

that aside, i'll definitely grab this once I move to a less-cramped place. i don't even have a tv, and i just think it's weird doing this on tabletop mode.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place I can go to read up on all this game's lore, world, story, characters? There's no wiki for me to dive into as there would be for a new Mario or Zelda release.

Im not in a position to get it right now but I wanna start my Smash speculation and a new world Nintendo creates is always exciting for me.

The plot/lore is paper thin. Any discussion of great of an RPG this is comes with the huge disclaimer that it's great for a fitness game. I haven't beaten it so there may be more, but basically so far there's some evil fitness dragon named Dragaux who was kept imprisoned in a Pilates ring until he was accidentally released by you. In your quest to stop him from spreading darkness and gym-bro attitudes throughout the land you fight various fitness-themed enemies. There are "towns" but they are really just menus where you pick some NPC quests and shops which are all run by the same couple. There are also fitness masters for each of the types of exercises (Allegra for legs, Armando for arms, Abdonis for core, and Guru Andama for yoga).

The main contenders for Smash would be Dragaux or the unnamed protagonist. I could see a Ring-Con assist trophy too.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yup, it's an incredible game and might be my GOTY.

I was so happy to see all the positivity on the first few pages and then it got completely soured. Some of it by people who haven't even touched the game. Gimme a fucking break

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
As an Info to the people that are worried that the game won't advice People to continue after the game. After i started today (on day 24) the Game asked me if the exercices where not as challenging as they where at the beginning. I said yes and it advised me that it is important to challenge your body when you exercice, so if its not challenging enough anymore it would be good to higher the intensity or try other Fitness Programs.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, it's an incredible game and might be my GOTY.

I was so happy to see all the positivity on the first few pages and then it got completely soured. Some of it by people who haven't even touched the game. Gimme a fucking break
We need to stop engaging them and just quote reply with Dragaux gifs.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm an RFA advocate so I will like to throw in why RFA is a game-changer (for me):
  • Using the ring (instead of just relying on an arm strap) was a brilliant move and great for form
  • The workouts are fun
  • The game coaches you (this cannot be stated highly enough imo)
  • The adventure is genuinely addictive
  • You have total control over what target areas to use in battles
  • Pilates rings are generally regarded as a good form of exercise (and the Nintendo one btw has a higher resistence than standalone ones IIRC)
  • You don't have to travel anywhere
  • I'm a single parent with 2 children and have no-one available to look after them if I want to exercise in the evenings
  • I can take it handheld and keep up with the workouts (i.e. business trips etc.)
  • I usually swim 3X a week but couldn't recently due to some neck pain so RFA is picking up the slack
  • Essentially, it's there when I want it, and as often as required - my point is there is ZERO resistence when I want to have a workout
...and this is why I think it has a future:
  • The adventure alone is massive and will probably take 6+ months to complete
  • Replayability is high as you can start at a higher level
  • You have custom workouts on top of this
  • You have Sets on top of this
  • You have Minigames, on top of ALL of this
  • DLC or a sequel is almost guaranteed
So yeah, for it's a game-changer, I look forward to my workouts, I'm getting better at them, lasting longer and suffering less (after just 2 weeks), I feel happy after working out and my recent shoulder and neck pains have gone.

Isn't that what it's all about? For people like me it's not about becoming Mr Universe, it's about getting that recommended exercise routine that fits AROUND MY DAY and not the other way around. Gyms are open certain times, you have to work around those times, that's why so many people fail at exercise, it becomes laborious, hard work and the motivation diminishes when you have to get off the sofa, get your kit ready, get in the car, drive, park, get in, exercise, shower, drive home. With RFA it's straight into some clothes, workout, shower, done.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for posting this OP. This game wasn't even on my radar before. I already have a workout routine but this looks like a great way to add some variety into the mix.