• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've just bought it today thanks to all the glowing praise it has had on here recently. Should hopefully get it started sometime this week.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of people discounting RFA without even playing it is laughable and sad.

I think what they all seem to have in common is they all have had success using other more traditional methods of working out, and believe that you cannot progress beyond a certain point without actual planned workouts on machines with weights - and since this game doesn't have said machines it won't be as good. That and like you said, they haven't tried it (RFA).

But I don't think anyone really believes they'll look like Dragaux from using RFA, you need dieting and lots and lots of weights for that. That's actually one of the tip cards from the game, "Q: Will I look like Dragaux if I use RFA a lot - I don't want bulging muscles... A: No, RFA alone won't ever be able to do that." And that's from the game itself.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I think what they all seem to have in common is they all have had success using other more traditional methods of working out, and believe that you cannot progress beyond a certain point without actual planned workouts on machines with weights - and since this game doesn't have said machines it won't be as good. That and like you said, they haven't tried it (RFA).
Bodyweight exercises can be freakishly difficult, eg. it took me a loooong time to get the l-sit-to-handstand or the muscle-up on the rings, there are a ton that I'll never ever be able to do, like the planche or the iron cross.
I don't think the exercises being bodyweight only is the problem, it's just that the thing by its very nature removes the mindfulness aspect away from working out. If I can make a comparison - playing a full game of soccer (90 minutes) is extremely taxing on the body, you'll burn a ton of calories, but you won't get in top shape just by playing soccer games, in order to maximize your potential as a player you'll need to drill technical elements of the game as well as do dedicated exercises to increase your strength, speed and mobility and work on your deficiencies.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bodyweight exercises can be freakishly difficult, eg. it took me a loooong time to get the l-sit-to-handstand or the muscle-up on the rings, there are a ton that I'll never ever be able to do, like the planche or the iron cross.
Cool.
Question: did you ever maybe come across the idea that there are people that are looking for a way to reach a normal level of fitness and not the abilitiy to do fucking Planches and ring muscle ups? You might want to follow this idea. Stop telling others that doing normal exercises won't do shit. Not everyone needs to win olympics.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If someone is gaming like 10+ hours a week and on resetera double that, and complains they don't have time to fit in a gym membership, isn't it a bit dishonest? Wouldn't it be more accurate to just say they don't actually WANT to go to the gym, and prefer to game and browse here?

The numbers above don't apply to everyone, but it's an argument to address none the less if you're looking at changing your lifestyle. Maybe the person only games 1-2 hours a week and not 10 - but even those 1-2 hours could be switched to something else, if they were interested in changing their lifestyle, right?

NOBODY👏HAS👏TO👏PROVE👏ANYTHING👏TO👏YOU.

If anything their mistake is in trying to justify themselves rather than immediately telling people to fuck right off as they should. For someone who cares about efficient use of time, it sure doesn't seem like baselessly theorycrafting about how other people use or don't use theirs is the best use of yours.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The amount of people discounting RFA without even playing it is laughable and sad.
It's partly the Wii legacy, but it's not justified at all. I say partly because of course there are other factors like people having opinion on stuff in general.

My abs are burning, I'm so happy that even if I don't play for a few days I still want to come back to it, contrary to Wii Fit and EA Sports active where after a while I just didn't bother.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
NOBODY👏HAS👏TO👏PROVE👏ANYTHING👏TO👏YOU.

If anything their mistake is in trying to justify themselves rather than immediately telling people to fuck right off as they should. For someone who cares about efficient use of time, it sure doesn't seem like baselessly theorycrafting about how other people use or don't use theirs is the best use of yours.

nicely said
Not to mention that gyms can be intimidating and extremely boring for some peoples. Any exercise is good, whatever the medium.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Cool.
Question: did you ever maybe come across the idea that there are people that are looking for a way to reach a normal level of fitness and not the abilitiy to do fucking Planches and ring muscle ups? You might want to follow this idea. Stop telling others that doing normal exercises won't do shit. Not everyone needs to win olympics.
Everyone has to set their own goals, depending where they are at. However, if you want to see improvements after the initial 6 to 12 weeks (and keep your practice sessions challenging and stimulating), you need to implement some sort of progressive overload. If you do that and train consistently, then months and years down the road you will be able to show something for it, be it lifting weights that might seem unattainable for a beginner or some more advanced bodyweight skills. If not, you will be just treading water, wasting your time and energy.

It sounds to me like most people here were leading a sedentary life prior to RFA's release and they're experiencing noob gains, which is typical in the first months of any activity. Seeing as we're only 4 weeks after the release, it'll be interesting to see if the same people stay active once the initial honeymoon phase is over and they won't see as impressive results week over week.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like most people here were leading a sedentary life prior to RFA's release and they're experiencing noob gains, which is typical in the first months of any activity. Seeing as we're only 4 weeks after the release, it'll be interesting to see if the same people stay active once the initial honeymoon phase is over and they won't see as impressive results week over week.
Again: you realize that there MAY be people that are just looking to get an average level of fitness?
Your constant suggestions that people need to have sick gains and become the sickest DudeBros there are is getting really annoying.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The problem is that the most important principal of strength training is progressive overload which you cannot do with this game. Therefore it cannot be more then some glorified cardio. That doesn't mean it's bad but it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for resistance training.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the most important principal of strength training is progressive overload which you cannot do with this game. Therefore it cannot be more then some glorified cardio. That doesn't mean it's bad but it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for resistance training.

Nobody is saying this is a replacement for strength training though.

But the point is, not everyone wants or needs to do strength training.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Is there a chance the Ringcon is QoL? Or some part of it? It's probably been discussed but only just occurred to me.

They could make other Ring Fit games (or expansions for RFA) like Ring Fit Sports or whatever that each come with other unique little devices like the blood pressure thing and it all comes together into a full sleep/weight/diet tracking package with competitive mini games, leaderboards, much better tracking, potentially even additional adventures. Would be a great way to add longevity and keep people working out after the game gets old.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

I mean there is not a single person in this thread who recommends this game for strenght training. (even the game itself tells you its not for that like someone else mentioned before)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Increased difficulty = increased reps = progressive overload, unless I'm mistaken.

You're not gonna bulk up doing this, but you can easily slim down and tone.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a chance the Ringcon is QoL? Or some part of it? It's probably been discussed but only just occurred to me.

They could make other Ring Fit games (or expansions for RFA) like Ring Fit Sports or whatever that each come with other unique little devices like the blood pressure thing and it all comes together into a full sleep/weight/diet tracking package.

The original QoL device was a sleep sensor/monitor so I don't see this as having anything to do with it. It could have somehow originated from that QoL team though as a side project or something.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Again: you realize that there MAY be people that are just looking to get an average level of fitness?
Your constant suggestions that people need to have sick gains and become the sickest DudeBros there are is getting really annoying.
Average level of fitness in modern society is far, far below what one is able to achieve even with only moderate time investment (5-6 hours per week). People are enthusiastic about RFA because they see results. Once they stagnate, but they'll want to keep the same feeling of elation they're having at the moment, they'll need to look beyond RFA.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
The original QoL device was a sleep sensor/monitor so I don't see this as having anything to do with it. It could have somehow originated from that QoL team though as a side project or something.

Do we know that's all there was to it? I thought it was mostly a mystery with the sleep thing being all we knew about it. Either way the sleep sensor could potentially be repurposed to work with this and other little devices and updates to make a pretty cool little home health tracker system.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
The game itself and numerous people including fitness trainers have said this isn't for strength training...you'll likely only get gain some light muscle tone which is what most average people want
Even a fitness buff like Jax said so

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
All this exercise elitism in the recent comments reminds me of the overly buff, weight dudebros in my gym who scoff at the pilates classes, calling them "old lady exercise".

Only to be rendered incredibly tired at anything that involves aerobics or constant resistance training.

Anyways, enough of that, back to RFA. Yesterday marked the first day in my life I could actually reach my toes without bending my knees. So the game is also helping with posture and flexibility.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

my take on QoL is it wouldn't have much/anything to do with gaming. they wanted to supplement the "wearable" market in whatever way (or get into it altogether)

this has broad appeal but still pretty gamer-centric. considerably moreso than wii fit, if that's any indication where they're going in this regard

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All this exercise elitism in the recent comments reminds me of the overly buff, weight dudebros in my gym who scoff at the pilates classes, calling them "old lady exercise".

Only to be rendered incredibly tired at anything that involves aerobics or constant resistance training.

Anyways, enough of that, back to RFA. Yesterday marked the first day in my life I could actually reach my toes without bending my knees. So the game is also helping with posture and flexibility.
Strength is specific.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Strength is specific.
And so is motivation. I do go to the gym. But I do find the game to be more motivating.

Let people enjoy the game. If they want to increase their fitness level afterwards, then they'll look for it. FitnessERA exists for the reason. You guys should ve promoting that topic for that reason instead of discouraging people who are clearly enjoying the game.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That is a very bad take. Yes, everyone should do some form of strengt training.

Everyone should also be able to run a mile easily. That's just not how it works in reality.

Do we know that's all there was to it? I thought it was mostly a mystery with the sleep thing being all we knew about it. Either way the sleep sensor could potentially be repurposed to work with this and other little devices and updates to make a pretty cool little home health tracker system.

From what I remember the QoL initiative only consisted of the sleep sensor. At least publicly. So sure, maybe this branched off from there but we would have no way of knowing that.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Average level of fitness in modern society is far, far below what one is able to achieve even with only moderate time investment (5-6 hours per week). People are enthusiastic about RFA because they see results. Once they stagnate, but they'll want to keep the same feeling of elation they're having at the moment, they'll need to look beyond RFA.
The game is called "Ring Fitness Adventure" and not "Ring Dude look at my sick gains Bro Adventure".
I fail to understand how you can keep on insisting that people should not play this game because they won't see huge gains, bro! Maybe this thread isn't for you.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you thought elitism in gaming was obnoxious and condescending, you're getting a taste of what it's like in the fitness world in this thread.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If you thought elitism in gaming was obnoxious and condescending, you're getting a taste of what it's like in the fitness world in this thread.

No kidding. It's scary to think these are the dudebros literate enough to use a computer and make an Era account; I can't imagine what the average steroids-chugging musclehead thinks of normal people. Absolutely beyond disgusting.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
If someone is gaming like 10+ hours a week and on resetera double that, and complains they don't have time to fit in a gym membership, isn't it a bit dishonest? Wouldn't it be more accurate to just say they don't actually WANT to go to the gym, and prefer to game and browse here?

The numbers above don't apply to everyone, but it's an argument to address none the less if you're looking at changing your lifestyle. Maybe the person only games 1-2 hours a week and not 10 - but even those 1-2 hours could be switched to something else, if they were interested in changing their lifestyle, right?

I hope you do realise that this is incredibly condescending to people who might already have self-doubt on whether or not they are able to do physical excercise or on their self-image.

I hope you also realize that not everyone actually lives in a place where gyms are viable option. And I hope you realize that even though you may see this as valid criticism towards people life choices it would require yourself to be somewhat on a high horse on any given issue, not just physical health.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
The game is called "Ring Fitness Adventure" and not "Ring Dude look at my sick gains Bro Adventure".
I fail to understand how you can keep on insisting that people should not play this game because they won't see huge gains, bro! Maybe this thread isn't for you.
This thread is about RFA's merits as a workout tool, and it's not only said to be good but "the best workout the OP has ever had". When people discuss this statement, you're throwing derogatory terms around (like dudebros) and put words in people's mouth (I've never suggested one shouldn't play this game). I'm not sure it's me who's at odds with this thread's purpose.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is about RFA's merits as a workout tool, and it's not only said to be good but "the best workout the OP has ever had". When people discuss this statement, you're throwing derogatory terms around (like dudebros) and put words in people's mouth (I've never suggested one shouldn't play this game). I'm not sure it's me who's at odds with this thread's purpose.

the Statement of "the best workout the OP has ever had" is mostly in the context of motivation and that it makes him want to do it everyday. Not in the context of getting way better results than other workouts if he would do them everyday. That is not realy what this thread is about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
the Statement of "the best workout the OP has ever had" is mostly in the context of motivation and that it makes him want to do it everyday. Not in the context of getting way better results than other workouts if he would do them everyday. That is not realy what this thread is about.

Bingo. I thought my OP made that clear enough.

johnsavage

Oct 27, 2017
How is running expensive?

tl;dr: hobby running: a pair of shoes every year / Running as a lifestyle: lots of shoes/clothes + races + travel = $$$$$$.

Running as a hobby can be very affordable so the only expense is like a pair of shoes every few years, but if you make it a lifestyles, it can add up.

'Good' running shoes can cost ~$50-150 and if you run 200+ miles a month they need to be replaced every 1-3 months. If you run in the winter you need winter gear. If you run to train for races, races can be pretty expensive. Local races can be pretty "cheap" ($10-20) but if you want to run big races it can cost between $100+ (in the US). And if you travel to those races, that costs money too.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It is kind of funny, kind of sad how many people are ranting in this thread about exercise being important and at the same time complaining about people playing RFA.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is kind of funny, kind of sad how many people are ranting in this thread about exercise being important and at the same time complaining about people playing RFA.
Who complained about people playing this game? And why are you complaining about people actually discussing the merits of this game as a workout substitude?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Who complained about people playing this game? And why are you complaining about people actually discussing the merits of this game as a workout substitude?

It's a workout (not a substitute) if you want it to be that. It's a fitness game if you want it to be that. It's a warm-up routine to other kind of training if you want it to be that.

RFA is a thing that can be many different things to different people, just like a visit to the gym can be.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not a workout substitute though. It's a workout.
It's a workout (not a substitute) if you want it to be that. It's a fitness game if you want it to be that. It's a warm-up routine to other kind of training if you want it to be that.

RFA is a thing that can be many different things to different people, just like a visit to the gym can be.
That wasn't my question. Why is it seemingly not allowed to scrutinise this game for whatever merit it is attributed in this thread? It just feels like the proponents of this game in this thread are not interested in any serious discussion.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"Discussing" based on what, exactly? Certainly not first-hand experience, so what exactly gives your opinion any value at all compared to, say, Timppis?

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Due to the software being part and parcel of the physical device, this is not something you can try and return (if it's not for you), right?

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Discussing" based on what, exactly? Certainly not first-hand experience, so what exactly gives your opinion any value at all compared to, say, Timppis?
Discussing based on actual knowledge of, you know, fitness. You already disqualified yourself from that discussion by implying that regular strength training is unnecessary.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't my question. Why is it seemingly not allowed to scrutinise this game for whatever merit it is attributed in this thread? It just feels like the proponents of this game in this thread are not interested in any serious discussion.

You can of course discuss the merits of the workout routine. But most arguments against it so far are arguments against things no one argued for so far or based on misconceptions because they didn't play it. And if you read the whole thread the arguments against it started with someone basicly making fun of people for calling it a workout at all.

On the first page the OP even toled someone its not for strength training after being asked if it would be worth it for it. Its kind of strange to argue so much about how its not a good replacement for strength training when no one argued that it would be.

Its basicly like going into a mario thread and arguing how its not very good and usefull as a shooter and is just a glorified jump and run. If you do that people will get kind of anoyed as well.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You can of course discuss the merits of the workout routine. But most arguments against it so far are arguments against things no one argued for so far or based on misconceptions because they didn't play it. And if you read the whole thread the arguments against it started with someone basicly making fun of people for calling it a workout at all.

On the first page the OP even toled someone its not for strength training after being asked if it would be worth it for it. Its kind of strange to argue so much about how its not a good replacement for strange training when no one argued that it would be.

Its basicly like going into a mario thread and arguing how its not very good usefull as a shooter and ist just a glorified jump and run. If you do that people will get kind of anoyed as well.
If you include a resistance ring in the game you shouldn't be surprised people think it's used for resistance training. If it's "only" a way of doing cardio then the benefits of the game will be much smaller. Strength training simply is an important part of overall health and fitness.

PS: And obviously people making fun of others for using this as a workout are idiots. It is also not helpful to throw out "fitness elitism" the second anyone questions just how effective this will be long term.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Discussing based on actual knowledge of, you know, fitness. You already disqualified yourself from that discussion by implying that regular strength training is unnecessary.

RelievedLimpCopperhead-size_restricted.gif

This thread keeps delivering. :D