• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game has been a god send for making managing my blood sugar fun. I'm so happy this product exists.

Last edited:

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok that seems fine then room shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm gonna get this I loved Wii Fit back in the day.
Yeah, just look at how Tipp does the move then you should be good to go. I guess there's the fact that you won't see if you did Good or Great when doing the moves, but there's a sound difference between both so that's not that much of a problem

Feb 15, 2019
I've noticed this game has been received very well. I'm wondering for the people that like this game, how does Fitness Boxing compare to it? I'm on the fence about getting Adventure since it's a good 80 euro over here when you can probably pick up Fitness Boxing for about half that price. If the experience truly is just that much better then I can see myself picking the game up despite being about double the price.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sorry if asked and answered, I am interested in this game, but live above people so running would be a no go, is there an alternative if you can't run in place for navigating?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed this game has been received very well. I'm wondering for the people that like this game, how does Fitness Boxing compare to it? I'm on the fence about getting Adventure since it's a good 80 euro over here when you can probably pick up Fitness Boxing for about half that price. If the experience truly is just that much better then I can see myself picking the game up despite being about double the price.
Ring Fit Adventure is to Fitness Boxing what Mario Galaxy is to Bubsy 3D.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if asked and answered, I am interested in this game, but live above people so running would be a no go, is there an alternative if you can't run in place for navigating?
Yeah, Quiet Mode makes you do squats, which is arguably harder than doing some light jogging in place lol

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Sorry to say Op, but nothing will substitue a real session at the gym or on a treadmill. Those games that "train" you just give you the illusion of training. Unless combined with a heavy diet I'd highly suggest spending 30-45 minutes at a gym and see real progress than playing a game and having the illusion of getting fit.

You are so wrong.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I picked this up today based on this thread. I've been losing weight through being involved in musical theater stuff recently, but my show's about to come to an end and I wanted something to keep me active.

Just did world 1 and wow? This is pretty much everything I normally do at the gym injected with more satisfaction. I could see myself doing a lot of my strength + core stuff through this and then following it up with some more cardio. It's really fantastic. I was dripping sweat without even realizing it.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I was interested in the game before, but after seeing so many good impressions, I'm seriously inclined to buy it. it is shame it is so expensive in my country.

A question: my focus right now is on gaining weight, muscle mostly. I'm a skinny dude (29 years old, 1.83m tall, and currently around 73kg, and around 15% body fat if electrical measurements are to be trusted), and I want to get to around 80kg ~ 85kg, so it is a quite reasonable target. I go to the gym from 3 to 5 times a week, 1 hour workout. I plan to use RFA as a suplement to my workout routine, do you guys think that is a good plan? I had the impression it was mostly cardio, but reading the post it seems to be good for toning and building muscle as well?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I was interested in the game before, but after seeing so many good impressions, I'm seriously inclined to buy it. it is shame it is so expensive in my country.

A question: my focus right now is on gaining weight, muscle mostly. I'm a skinny dude (29 years old, 1.83m tall, and currently around 73kg, and around 15% body fat if electrical measurements are to be trusted), and I want to get to around 80kg ~ 85kg, so it is a quite reasonable target. I go to the gym from 3 to 5 times a week, 1 hour workout. I plan to use RFA as a suplement to my workout routine, do you guys think that is a good plan? I had the impression it was mostly cardio, but reading the post it seems to be good for toning and building muscle as well?
It offers a bit of resistance. It's not a substitute for weightlifting if you're trying to build mass, but it is a great supplement.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
All things considered, this is probably my game of the year. Simply put, it succeeds in what it set out to do in a way no other game has done for me.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see how "fit" you got using those games then! Can you at least provide something more than "you are so wrong"? Nobody self respecting in the training world would consider a video game a good replacement for training!

More fit than going to the gym for a week and not going anymore as you just don't care enough to put the effort in to keeping up. I promise you a large number of people who get a gym membership for dirt cheap from planet fitness or wherever stop going but keep paying for the membership. It's how they get their prices so low. The same is true of any workout routine - track, games like RFA, etc, if you don't find it compelling enough to continue doing it, it's pretty worthless. That's the beauty of RFA, people are sticking with it for at least 3-4+ weeks, when normally they lose interest really fast. Maybe it's enough to get them moving in to a more serious method of working out, or just convenient for them to have when it's too much trouble to do something else.

And more fit than having a 30-45 minute block of time and using 3/4 of it commuting back and forth to the gym I'd wager (10 minutes of driving each way - then 10 minutes left to exercise - vs 30 straight minutes of reps in the game).

What you're arguing is that a dedicated gym provides a much better environment for motivated and gym going people to get results. That's 100% true (for those with the hours and hours needed). But not everyone is the right candidate for the gym experience. And not everyone needs a gym to accomplish their goals, nor is a gym the best match for everyone's workout preferences.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
The game is fun and pretty good. Gotta say it hasn't helped to keep my motivations up but I am someone who can be good at going to the gym. Unfortunately isn't good replacement for proper strength training, but it is great for calorie loss and improving stamina. Happy to read your positive experiences with it OP.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
I'd like to see how "fit" you got using those games then! Can you at least provide something more than "you are so wrong"? Nobody self respecting in the training world would consider a video game a good replacement for training!

I can't imagine why you are trying so hard to shit on something that promotes fitness and healthy living. Especially something that's trying to do so in a fun and easily approachable way all in the comfort of your home. I'm not a fan of say CrossFit but I totally respect it because it got a lot of people into fitness. Also calling people lazy because they don't want to go to the gym is bullshit there's tons of reasons people may not want to go, such as anxiety etc. Try to be more open minded next time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird and petty to argue that Ring Fit is useless as an exercise tool. It's a structured program of HIIT routines. It's not going to replace weightlifting but that doesn't make it useless. You're doing real exercises, it's not make believe.

We're watching old man yells at cloud in real time.

Dec 31, 2017
Well, if you want to tell people how things really works, you could drop the calorie counting talk in relation to body weight loss. The body has a number of different energy systems and methods to store energy, and if you lose weight mainly is dependent on if you burn fat instead of glycogen.

Instead of a "diet", it's possible to try a thing called "food" (as opposed "junk food"). "Food" will usually normalize the appetite (and body composition) normally, unless the pancreas has been damaged or something. Refined carbs in any form (which is one of the main components in junk food) make it impossible for the body to burn fat for quite some time after the meal, due to the insulin response.

Refined fats (also a big component in junk food) will also cause a stress on the body, which will often trigger the same system in the body. The main reason why cardio doesn't work as a weight loss method can also be caused by a similar reason: the pulse gets too high, which causes stress hormones, which prevents fat burning. Note that world-class marathon runners like Kipchoge usually train the majority of their sessions on relative pulse levels that are lower than a typical cardio session at a gym.

I train long-distance running, currently between 7-10 hours a week (depending on work/life schedules) but never ever with headphones, since that's really goes against what I should do in training: listen to my body. You'll probably call me lazy since I don't hit the gym (more than for occasional treadmill tests). But regardless of that, I really thinks Ring Fit Adventure is both an excellent game and a good workout that suits my other training very well.
I'd like to know what listening to music has to do with listening to your body, as when I push myself while running I never had issues when running, and was able to bring my time from 5:15 per km to 4:34 per km. Also you have to do sprints as they are a lot more efficient than just running at the same pace.

As for food, honestly I haven't changed my eating habits and I still dropped in weight while doing weight lifting. I understand how it is with insulin levels and such, and I have started doing fasting and honestly calorie intake makes all the difference. It's not just about eating "food" like you seem to say, as I'll still have beers almost every 3 days (several on the weekend) and I've had no issues dropping weight. If you want to legit get in shape sure, you gotta watch what you are eating. However, for everyone else, good training and moderately eating junk food will work well enough. If all you do is 40-50 squats (without any weight!!!!) in a game session, I'm sorry, but you are not "working out". If you'd be doing something like cross fit where you have some weights and chain all of your exercises the sure, I'd believe you. But some ring adventure game on Wii, sorry, but you are barely getting fit. It should be called "Getting fit for dummies" as that's more appropriate.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is the same as saying P90X and Insanity aren't real exercises, just illusions.

I can't imagine why you are trying so hard to shit on something that promotes fitness and healthy living. Especially something that's trying to do so in a fun and easily approachable way all in the comfort of your home. I'm not a fan of say CrossFit but I totally respect it because it got a lot of people into fitness. Also calling people lazy because they don't want to go to the gym is bullshit there's tons of reasons people may not want to go, such as anxiety etc. Try to be more open minded next time.

Maybe this is Dragaux's account.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I believe you are arguing in bad faith. Channeling your best bodybuilding.com self.

Each post makes it more clear you don't actually what Ring Fit is. You're trying to get a rise out of people. But why

This is not food grade trolling. It's the weirdest flex.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird and petty to argue that Ring Fit is useless as an exercise tool. It's a structured program of HIIT routines. It's not going to replace weightlifting but that doesn't make it useless. You're doing real exercises, it's not make believe.

We're watching old man yells at cloud in real time.
Dude no. It's all an "illusion".

Dec 31, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory commentary. Trolling over a series of posts.
Have you ever done CrossFit? You say it got a ripple into fitness, yet I find CrossFit sessions harder than my weight lifting sessions. It's for from casual.
Wht il saying is people see those games as something tha will get them fit and is a good replacement to training, but it's not! It's barely a start.
Also, anxiety going to the gym, really? I see fat people at the gym all the time, all they get is praise. Nobody judges someone trying to get fit, as they are actually trying, not pretending to try!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know what listening to music has to do with listening to your body, as when I push myself while running I never had issues when running, and was able to bring my time from 5:15 per km to 4:34 per km. Also you have to do sprints as they are a lot more efficient than just running at the same pace.

As for food, honestly I haven't changed my eating habits and I still dropped in weight while doing weight lifting. I understand how it is with insulin levels and such, and I have started doing fasting and honestly calorie intake makes all the difference. It's not just about eating "food" like you seem to say, as I'll still have beers almost every 3 days (several on the weekend) and I've had no issues dropping weight. If you want to legit get in shape sure, you gotta watch what you are eating. However, for everyone else, good training and moderately eating junk food will work well enough. If all you do is 40-50 squats (without any weight!!!!) in a game session, I'm sorry, but you are not "working out". If you'd be doing something like cross fit where you have some weights and chain all of your exercises the sure, I'd believe you. But some ring adventure game on Wii, sorry, but you are barely getting fit. It should be called "Getting fit for dummies" as that's more appropriate.

I like how at the end you are trying to say it's on the Wii lol. Get the damn system right at least!

I dunno, I know you're being attacked from all angles right now, and won't change your view, and partly it's because you're arguing one thing and other people are arguing an entirely different things but we're all still arguing like we're actually talking about the same thing, but you're really bringing it upon yourself here imo.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I like how at the end you are trying to say it's on the Wii lol. Get the damn system right at least!
It's intentional.

I know it's the internet. And some people just can't help themselves. But the argument is so misguided and unsound, and the context so strangely petty that it feels like well actually-ing a four year old's birthday wish for a unicorn. Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the fuck up.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever done CrossFit? You say it got a ripple into fitness, yet I find CrossFit sessions harder than my weight lifting sessions. It's for from casual.
Wht il saying is people see those games as something tha will get them fit and is a good replacement to training, but it's not! It's barely a start.
Also, anxiety going to the gym, really? I see fat people at the gym all the time, all they get is praise. Nobody judges someone trying to get fit, as they are actually trying, not pretending to try!
Asking again.

Have you played Ring Fit Adventure?

Dec 31, 2017
More fit than going to the gym for a week and not going anymore as you just don't care enough to put the effort in to keeping up. I promise you a large number of people who get a gym membership for dirt cheap from planet fitness or wherever stop going but keep paying for the membership. It's how they get their prices so low. The same is true of any workout routine - track, games like RFA, etc, if you don't find it compelling enough to continue doing it, it's pretty worthless. That's the beauty of RFA, people are sticking with it for at least 3-4+ weeks, when normally they lose interest really fast. Maybe it's enough to get them moving in to a more serious method of working out, or just convenient for them to have when it's too much trouble to do something else.

And more fit than having a 30-45 minute block of time and using 3/4 of it commuting back and forth to the gym I'd wager (10 minutes of driving each way - then 10 minutes left to exercise - vs 30 straight minutes of reps in the game).

What you're arguing is that a dedicated gym provides a much better environment for motivated and gym going people to get results. That's 100% true (for those with the hours and hours needed). But not everyone is the right candidate for the gym experience. And not everyone needs a gym to accomplish their goals, nor is a gym the best match for everyone's workout preferences.
I'd like to know how busy you have to be to not have that amount of time to train, get healthy and feel good about yourself. With work and family I barely get an hour or 2 left at the end of the day to play some games, but at least I go work out! All I'm hearing there is excuses. You are going to tell me your commute time is a problem? Maybe you just need to plan your day out better. I go right after work and stop at a gym on the way back, so no time wasted! Also, health should be the only motivation you need to get fit, not a video game!

maGs

Oct 27, 2017

I highly doubt you are much more if not the same level of fitness as myself but tbh I could not care less. You are however getting on my nerves telling 'anyone' what is or is not a proper workout. If someone wants to try and better themselves through the use of a video game then so be it. It might be a great first step into a healthier lifestyle. You sound like you need to convince others and yourself just how fit you are. Worry about yourself.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
Asking again.

Have you played Ring Fit Adventure?
You are really trying to argue with me that because I haven't played a video game about "training" that I don't know what I'm talking about? It rained and competed on a national level for 6 years, and even though it was a very cardio oriented sport (road bicycle) there was still a lot of weight lifting involved (squats and lunges).

so no, I haven't played the game. But you also won't make me believe that 45 minutes of Ring Fit Adventure will replace and be more effective than 45 minutes of planned weight lifting at the gym. Actually, even a plan for beginners like Stronglift 5x5 three times a week (barely takes 45 minutes each session) would be more effective.

I guess I am just arguing with the wrong people here, as it seems to be the crowd that thinks 15-20 minutes a day is good enough and that as long as you are doing something at least you are trying. I am more of the thinking that when you do something, you do it right, and that means following a plan with objectives and working out a good amount of time. I sacrifice 30-45 minutes of gaming or "fun" time in the evening to stay in shape as I think it's important; if your priorities are different then good for you I guess...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know how busy you have to be to not have that amount of time to train, get healthy and feel good about yourself. With work and family I barely get an hour or 2 left at the end of the day to play some games, but at least I go work out! All I'm hearing there is excuses. You are going to tell me your commute time is a problem? Maybe you just need to plan your day out better. I go right after work and stop at a gym on the way back, so no time wasted! Also, health should be the only motivation you need to get fit, not a video game!

I mean in the perfect world you're right, but in this world, my day and my willpower is less than ideal. I get up early, like 5:30am, and and generally work a pretty long day, until 8pm. I have lots of stuff to pay for between a young child and other obligations, and the situation I'm in with my job is that I'm not able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars doing a normal 9-5 despite living in one of the most expensive areas to live in, at least not without moving to another job which I haven't found. So yeah, I guess maybe my priorities aren't straight, but for now, I value getting what money I can, and doing a little RFA instead of dedicating myself to a more intense gym experience works best for me personally.

so no, I haven't played the game. But you also won't make me believe that 45 minutes of Ring Fit Adventure will replace and be more effective than 45 minutes of planned weight lifting at the gym. Actually, even a plan for beginners like Stronglift 5x5 three times a week (barely takes 45 minutes each session) would be more effective.

See here's where I'm saying we aren't arguing the same things in this thread. 45 minutes of planned weight lifting will definitely give me a worse workout if I care about flexibility and posture and stamina/cardio, and don't give a flying shit about muscle mass or looking like a bouncer.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018

I have done CrossFit and it is challenging. However the couple gyms I've been to had a wide array of people. there were a lot of beginners and there are beginner friendly classes and workouts. Also, I see overweight people too at the gym so what? Why are you assuming everyone is the same? Also it's hilarious you wrote no one judges people trying to get fit as long as they try and it's literally what you're doing. And they aren't pretending.

Dec 31, 2017
I highly doubt you are much more if not the same level of fitness as myself but tbh I could not care less. You are however getting on my nerves telling 'anyone' what is or is not a proper workout. If someone wants to try and better themselves through the use of a video game then so be it. It might be a great first step into a healthier lifestyle. You sound like you need to convince others and yourself just how fit you are. Worry about yourself.
I'm not trying to prove to anyone how fit I am as I know tons of people that are a lot more fit than I am. But there are proven methods on how to get fit and lean or bulk up, and honestly, Switch games are not part of those methods. If a video game is what you need to push yourself to train (your health or well being should clearly be the first reason) then I say you have other issues you need to fix first. If I gain 15-20 pounds (and it's happened to me before, actually several times) I know I have to train and I do what I have to to get fit, and I find it really weird people need a video game to get that motivation, especially one that will barely get them fit to be honest.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
so no, I haven't played the game.
well.gif

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to prove to anyone how fit I am as I know tons of people that are a lot more fit than I am. But there are proven methods on how to get fit and lean or bulk up, and honestly, Switch games are not part of those methods. If a video game is what you need to push yourself to train (your health or well being should clearly be the first reason) then I say you have other issues you need to fix first. If I gain 15-20 pounds (and it's happened to me before, actually several times) I know I have to train and I do what I have to to get fit, and I find it really weird people need a video game to get that motivation, especially one that will barely get them fit to be honest.
Your definition of fit and others might be your problem here. 'Fitness' means something different to everyone. A 6 pack and Ripped muscles might mean fit to you but to me fit is a general term for good health. And good health is obtainable from a videogame done on a regular basis with a good diet

Dec 31, 2017
I have done CrossFit and it is challenging. However the couple gyms I've been to had a wide array of people. there were a lot of beginners and there are beginner friendly classes and workouts. Also, I see overweight people too at the gym so what? Why are you assuming everyone is the same? Also it's hilarious you wrote no one judges people trying to get fit as long as they try and it's literally what you're doing. And they aren't pretending.
Video game? Not pretending? Really?

I mean in the perfect world you're right, but in this world, my day and my willpower is less than ideal. I get up early, like 5:30am, and and generally work a pretty long day, until 8pm. I have lots of stuff to pay for between a young child and other obligations, and the situation I'm in with my job is that I'm not able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars doing a normal 9-5 despite living in one of the most expensive areas to live in, at least not without moving to another job which I haven't found. So yeah, I guess maybe my priorities aren't straight, but for now, I value getting what money I can, and doing a little RFA instead of dedicating myself to a more intense gym experience works best for me personally.

See here's where I'm saying we aren't arguing the same things in this thread. 45 minutes of planned weight lifting will definitely give me a worse workout if I care about flexibility and posture and stamina/cardio, and don't give a flying shit about muscle mass or looking like a bouncer.
I think you need both to be quite honest, which I why I do sprints/long running sessions on weekend, as cardio is also important and I know, I've done cardio as my main sport for 6 years and I loved It!

I personally don't like the idea of people praising a video game for changing the world of fitness and training while you have a lot more efficient solutions out there that are well documented and don't necessarily take more time.

also, sorry you have to work so much to make ends meet, that definitely isn't an ideal solution...

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This game is no joke. I'm taking it easy just 15-20 minutes of recorded workout time (however long that is in real time) and I'm on day 2. I get that I'm out of shape but squats have fucked me up hahaa. Sore.

I love how the game has enough options that on my 2nd day I could avoid too many squats and that also in 15-20 minutes of work out time you make some good progress in the game so you don't feel like a failure or anything.

Super legit game I'm sweating buckets, more than when I ride my exercise bike for an hour and a half, and I'm really feeling it.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You are really trying to argue with me that because I haven't played a video game about "training" that I don't know what I'm talking about? It rained and competed on a national level for 6 years, and even though it was a very cardio oriented sport (road bicycle) there was still a lot of weight lifting involved (squats and lunges).

I guess I am just arguing with the wrong people here, as it seems to be the crowd that thinks 15-20 minutes a day is good enough and that as long as you are doing something at least you are trying. I am more of the thinking that when you do something, you do it right, and that means following a plan with objectives and working out a good amount of time. I sacrifice 30-45 minutes of gaming or "fun" time in the evening to stay in shape as I think it's important; if your priorities are different then good for you I guess...
Do you do kids parties? Because you're acting like a clown.