• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
i'm really interested in this game, and i'm assuming i'll eventually get it. but is it worth it for someone who consistently goes to the gym all the time? i'm assuming it'd be more of a supplement to the gym, but am i going to find it too easy? how's the resistance of the ring?

My brother and I are using it as a gym supplement. This game is not gonna make you grow muscle mass and it won't replace weights at the gym. BUT, it feels great for toning, resistance, and building up stamina.

I was worried it'd be too focused on cardio and aerobics without much else (and level 1 is definitely that) but it quickly starts throwing more stuff in the mix as you play more.

I'm not sure how to solely quantify the challenge it provides via resistance, but fwiw, my brother is all about fitness and lifts at the gym regularly. He started playing on the 2nd highest difficulty and overall, there were parts where the game was kicking his ass, and he's pretty beat by the end.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered this game today after trying it at my friend's house. I'm not fit, but I'm not fat either. I picked "intense" difficulty and after the first boss ( which was like 15 minutes of playtime) I was in pain. I'm not new to exercising. I keep exercising for a few weeks and then I drop it for another few weeks because it becomes a chore rather than something I want to do. I hope that this game will be different.

I'm glad that you enjoy it. I see very positive reception to this game online and that was another reason why I bought it ( I'm not keen on paying full price for a game because they are really expensive here where I live).

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered this game today after trying it at my friend's house. I'm not fit, but I'm not fat either. I picked "intense" difficulty and after the first boss ( which was like 15 minutes of playtime) I was in pain. I'm not new to exercising. I keep exercising for a few weeks and then I drop it for another few weeks because it becomes a chore rather than something I want to do. I hope that this game will be different.

I'm glad that you enjoy it. I see very positive reception to this game online and that was another reason why I bought it ( I'm not keen on paying full price for a game because they are really expensive here where I live).

Yeah the key to this game (for me) is that it DOES keep that "want" factor.

And yeah my first day was absolutely brutal. And I was only on intensity level 19 (out of 30). After day 1 it gets a lot more manageable I think.

Oct 25, 2017
God, I'd absolutely die of joy if they made Crossover DLC Campaigns with other JRPGS like Xenoblade 2, FF, and DQ. CAN YOU IMAGINE?

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
God, I'd absolutely die of joy if they made Crossover DLC Campaigns with other JRPGS like Xenoblade 2, FF, and DQ. CAN YOU IMAGINE?

I was actually thinking about somehow adding Ringcon controls to DQXIS, like for moving through the world but also for attacks. Skills and spells can all have unique exercises associated with them.

Also something like BOTW/Skyrim archery sounds great with the bow pull exercise.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also on the side note, I hope that they will update the game with some new stuff and fixes. For example after failing one stage, it just didnt ask me to check my heart rate which was odd.

Apr 24, 2018
I definitely feel the joy/want factor. For those who have the game, how difficult is this to setup? Also, I assume this has to be docked to be feasible (guessing tablet mode is too small?)

I've always enjoyed traditional cardio/going to the gym well enough, but it never quite matched the sheer enjoyment I got out of playing DDR. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd only played DDR a handful of times in the last twelve years but I've played once a week since (and will play again tonight). Unfortunately, I may not be staying where I am currently beyond this week and will lose access to the arcade machine (depends on if I get a job offer or not in the area). Looking to get back into shape once I get a new job and or complete my move.

tchiem

Jun 3, 2018
I just finished world 6 on day 20 and I can see myself keeping up with this and going all the way to the end. At first I thought it was eventually going to get repetitive, but they do a really good job introducing new exercises, changing up the way you traverse levels and putting focus on certain muscle groups.

Speaking of crossovers, I really hope Nintendo finds a way to use the ring con in more games. The mini-games in Ring Fit are already pretty great, but imagine a new Wario Ware (Twisted) with that thing. The fact that I want to use that ring in more games really speaks for how great it is.

Oct 25, 2017
I also wanna mention pressing in on the ringcon plus the vibration just feels really gratifying as a control/selection method. I honestly miss it a little in other games.

I definitely feel the joy/want factor. For those who have the game, how difficult is this to setup? Also, I assume this has to be docked to be feasible (guessing tablet mode is too small?)

I've always enjoyed traditional cardio/going to the gym well enough, but it never quite matched the sheer enjoyment I got out of playing DDR. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd only played DDR a handful of times in the last twelve years but I've played once a week since (and will play again tonight). Unfortunately, I may not be staying where I am currently beyond this week and will lose access to the arcade machine (depends on if I get a job offer or not in the area). Looking to get back into shape once I get a new job and or complete my move.

If you already own a switch, this game has almost no extra set up. It's literally one joycon strapped to your thigh, and another that you slide in the RingCon. That's it. I like to also roll out a foam yoga mat, but I have hardwood floors and it's just an extra preference.

Tabletop I'd imagine wouldn't be ideal, but I'd wager it is more than a feasible option when needed.

johnsavage

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of getting it for a while now, I'm so out of shape and with the positive reviews its getting I think I'm going to give it a go. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

As a game, it is expensive, but as an exercise thing it's not too bad if you compare it with the things OP mentioned. Gym memberships ($/month), personal trainers ($$$/session), P90x/insanity ($$), running ($$$$$$$ - I run and it can be pretty expensive if you go all in), elliptical ($$), etc all costs a lot of money. Even the sport you think would be the cheapest (running) can cost a lot of money if you want to get shoes that don't kill your legs. So if you think RFA will get you to be active, it would be completely worth it.

But if you didn't want to spend any money, there are tons of exercise youtube videos and apps that are free. So do something now. Don't wait for the new year or the weekend or another milestone date. It's going to suck at first, but being in shape is completely worth it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely do believe that RFA is the best workout-related game to date. For me, it is the perfect morning work out. I can't recommend it more.

That being said, I use it as an additional exercise, and would still urge anyone who's enjoying themselves to still dedicate a few days a week to proper weight training and stamina training.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
How many difficulty levels does the game have? Like many others, I'm thinking of used is as a complement to the gym. Is the hardest level too tough?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I finished the first world...when does it pick up?

It keeps picking up, so to speak. One of the best things about this game is that it's a bona fide RPG, with consumables, buffs, healing, attack types, quests, equipment set bonuses, etc. etc. but it introduces systems very gradually, so even the most RPG-illiterate player can wrap their heads around them without being overwhelmed.

It's also deceptively long. You can easily finish the first world in a sitting and probably play some of world 2, but you will probably need 3 days to finish world five alone, for example. Stages get progressively longer, with more exercise variety even during the courses, and each world gets bigger with many more stages each.

How many difficulty levels does the game have? Like many others, I'm thinking of used is as a complement to the gym. Is the hardest level too tough?

It has an intensity level that you can regulate from 0 to I believe 30. This governs the number of repetitions you do of each exercise (it's not 1 to 1 intensity to repetitions, since some exercises take more repetitions than others).

You just completely sold me on this, with the winter months coming up and not always having the time to make it to the gym with grad school, I've been looking for some indoor workouts to be able to do. This sounds so much fun and like it could scratch that addictive personality itch that I need to keep myself motivated haha.

I used to LOVE Wii Fit back in the day, I worked out nearly every day with it for a few months. So I'm glad to hear that this is a worthy successor.

This blows Wii Fit out of the water. Seriously, there's no comparison in terms of variety, both of exercises and gameplay.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, OP I think you sold me on it. Around January I'll be returning to school and, on-top of daily walk, extra exercise daily could really help me feel...healthier for sure.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Great sell OP, and I agree. I'm 7 days in and it's easily the best workout game and accessory to date. Helped get me out of my exercise rut and I'm feeling the effects. Been mostly sticking with adventure, the progression is nice motivation, but the minigames are fun on their own and custom workouts are great if you want to maximize your time with access to everything.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I've tried it and I can see the fun factor keeping it going, but as a workout I had way better results from the UFC workout that used Kinect. I can't remember if it was in a bundle of other workouts, or was its own game, but that workout kicked the hell out of you. I used it for six months before running our first 5K mud run and it really helped, but it needed something to keep you coming back.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm a bit surprised to see so many people saying "you sold me on it, OP" when pretty much everyone in the OT has been saying pretty much the same things, but I guess people don't check those. :D

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised to see so many people saying "you sold me on it, OP" when pretty much everyone in the OT has been saying pretty much the same things, but I guess people don't check those. :D

That's kinda why I made this thread. I've seen a lot of people talking about this game like it's a little throwaway party game or something without realizing it really is a good RPG under the fitness coating.

I figure more people should know just how good the game is too.

Apr 24, 2018
I also wanna mention pressing in on the ringcon plus the vibration just feels really gratifying as a control/selection method. I honestly miss it a little in other games.

If you already own a switch, this game has almost no extra set up. It's literally one joycon strapped to your thigh, and another that you slide in the RingCon. That's it. I like to also roll out a foam yoga mat, but I have hardwood floors and it's just an extra preference.

Tabletop I'd imagine wouldn't be ideal, but I'd wager it is more than a feasible option when needed.
Sweet - thanks for the the information and details! I've actually never setup my Switch dock (my former roommate had a dock setup already which I used on a couple of occasions) - looks like I'll finally have a reason to. Really eager to try this out - I'll probably use some treadmills at a local gym, as well.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Interesting. Never even heard of it before this thread. Just watched a video of how it works and I think I might be able to convince my wife to get a Switch so she can use this. It's a long shot, but I really want to get one for the kids and of course for myself.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's been in my cart for a while...sold and subbed I'll be back with impression OP, you better not be hyping!!!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing it almost daily for a few weeks early before work, usually only 15-20m of active workout time(30-45m real time tho).

I wouldn't say I'm THAT invested in the worlds or adventure, but it is enjoyable and the convenience is great. It looks great and running within these whimsical environs is helpful to maintain attention.

I do kind of wish you can hold more exercises, maybe it unlocks later? The six slots are just not enough! I try toinclude every new one, but I hate bumping out one I actively want to include to do so.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing it almost daily for a few weeks early before work, usually only 15-20m of active workout time(30-45m real time tho).

I wouldn't say I'm THAT invested in the worlds or adventure, but it is enjoyable and the convenience is great. It looks great and running within these whimsical environs is helpful to maintain attention.

I do kind of wish you can hold more exercises, maybe it unlocks later? The six slots are just not enough! I try toinclude every new one, but I hate bumping out one I actively want to include to do so.

Yeah you can unlock more slots for exercises once you get the skill tree (level 40).

And obviously the story and the world isn't the main draw but I find the way they constantly introduce new mechanics and new exercises to be what keeps bringing me back.

It's been in my cart for a while...sold and subbed I'll be back with impression OP, you better not be hyping!!!

My sentiments are shared by almost everyone in the OT so I hope you like it too.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This blows Wii Fit out of the water. Seriously, there's no comparison in terms of variety, both of exercises and gameplay.

This. And the joycon implementation is really good! Like when doing the planks and you can easily feel when you should go down again for your next rep (since the position makes it difficult to see the TV at all). Brilliant design!

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Honestly this thing is so cool and I haven't even had the chance to play it yet. I'm an extremely avid gym-goer but no-one else in my office has been into exercise before, some have tried the gym, but none really stuck with it.

Instead over the past few weeks I've been watching each person gradually pick up a copy and just love the game and the experience. It really seems like if you aren't already doing lots of exercise and need some gamification to get you into it, this is a pretty great way to go about it.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the best workout is usually the one you enjoy the most because it will keep you coming back. Might be running, lifting weights, boxing, Ring Fit Adventure etc. People who say they hate working out, I think it's usually a question of trying stuff until you find something you think is fun (or a context in which it would be fun, like working out with friends or joining a team). Glad you found that thing, hope you stick to it in the long run!
I've been interested in trying it myself actually, to see how challenging it would be. Waiting for a price-drop though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's kinda why I made this thread. I've seen a lot of people talking about this game like it's a little throwaway party game or something without realizing it really is a good RPG under the fitness coating.

I figure more people should know just how good the game is too.

And a really good call it was! :)

It is already huge, the legs per week on the game are insane in Japan with stock issues. Me and my family have really enjoyed doing the reps every day, but planking kills me.

Planks are the real final boss of the game, hahah. But they do get easier eventually!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean ultimately you're not really going to lose weight unless you fix your diet (assuming you are overweight, it likely means your diet is poor). 200 calories burned a day, maybe 300, 21/22 days a month certainly helps but you're not going to see massive weight loss unless you start taking in fewer calories.

It's hard to outwork a crap diet even with a full blown gym workout routine.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Is there a side mode or something where you can just jog through the environments without monster battles? I used to like doing laps around the island in Wii Fit and enjoy the scenery.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I mean ultimately you're not really going to lose weight unless you fix your diet (assuming you are overweight, it likely means your diet is poor). 200 calories burned a day, maybe 300, 21/22 days a month certainly helps but you're not going to see massive weight loss unless you start taking in fewer calories.

It's hard to outwork a crap diet even with a full blown gym workout routine.

That's a simple way of looking at it. Like I burn over 800 calories a day with Ring Fit along with doing 13,000 steps a day. With my other workout, I burnt over 2,200 in two days.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a simple way of looking at it. Like I burn over 800 calories a day with Ring Fit along with doing 13,000 steps a day. With my other workout, I burnt over 2,200 in two days.

I mean if you're burning 1000 calories/day anyway (average) through other workouts odds are you're not really the average person if that's actually what you do on a daily basis.

Most average people will maybe play this for 15-25 minutes/day (which is a lot from 0 minutes of physical activity mind you) ... which does get you a decent 200-250 calories lets say, but you also have to factor in most people probably won't play it every day.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is fantastic and the variety of workouts they have in it is impressive.

The rpg aspects are not just an afterthoughts and there's a really good rpg under the workouts.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I mean if you're burning 1000 calories/day anyway (average) through other workouts odds are you're not really the average person if that's actually what you do on a daily basis.

Most average people will maybe play this for 15-25 minutes/day (which is a lot from 0 minutes of physical activity mind you) ... which does get you a decent 200-250 calories lets say, but you also have to factor in most people probably won't play it every day.

I'm pretty average since my other workout is only three days out of the week since it's hard on my body and I get those high steps by simply walking while typing like I'm doing now and choosing to pace when watching TV. So just being more active in general adds up.

It depends on what yo do in the game and difficulty. Like I played for 25 minutes and burnt 280 on difficulty 21 out of 30.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I wish there was more variety in the adventure mode. The game offers more than 60 exercices and in the adventure you are always doing the same exercices in the first few hours.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
You guys, stop being positive about it!!!

I may have to ask it to my GF for Christmas. D:

This is how I feel. I need this thread to stop being so convincing!

I have no place in my schedule or living environment for this game, and I already get exercise elsewhere. Plus, my backlog is huge. But I want to play a fun game and always like being active. I just know it would sit unused until I actually have a place for it. :( Stop making me want to buy it, Era!

In all seriousness, I'm glad people are getting so much value from it.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me buy the game. I fractured my wrist in a car accident and have surgery for it on Tuesday and I've been looking for a fun, chill, way to exercise that doesn't make me feel weak or bad about myself. Thanks, OP! :)

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
+1 on the fact the peripheral is absolutely amazing. And I want to add RingFit works both as a single player game, and as a party game. It's great at getting anyone in your house trying to beat your records, on pure strength tentatives. I adore it for this reason alone, beyond the sheer adventure quality.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I don't even care if you are a sneaky salesman, you have sold me. I was doing really well working out this summer, and once the fall hit I went back into my drinking/burrito sedentary lifestyle and ruined everything I had accomplished.

Too cold to start back up outside, but I can rock this in my apartment.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best gamified exercise that was created until now. I guess the main difference between RingFit Adventure and other exercise games is that you play this one because you want to and not because you have to. Its probably also the only exercise game that can actually reach high intensity levels, if you want to, cause it's using a real piece of sport equipment - the Pilates ring.

You can hit the gym 4 times a week and still get trashed by the game on the highest difficulty levels. But you can also be a couch potato and play it like a boss.

And you can scratch like a DJ in the home screen by smacking and pushing the RingCon in different positions. Game is full of neat elements like that.

OP
OP
Skittzo

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was more variety in the adventure mode. The game offers more than 60 exercices and in the adventure you are always doing the same exercices in the first few hours.

The first few hours? That wasn't my experience. For the first world, yeah you more or less use the same exercises but that only lasts like 20-30 minutes. After that start getting new exercises pretty regularly.