• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I really hope that Nintendo is working on a sequel to this game. I love it, but I'm on level 368 and I'm ready for some new bad guys.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Ring Fit also helped me lose 30 pounds without going to the gym.

I played ring fit for over 200h in 2020, it wasnt the only thing I had to help me lose weight, but having lost over 30 pounds last year, I'm glad i had this game to complement this journey.

I run around 5 miles 3 times a week, i tried to cut all the junk food I used to eat and started eating real home made food and I also got some equipments to help me build some muscles.

After 12 months I feel much better, my back doesn't hurt anymore and I'm happy with what I see in the mirror.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Good stuff. Glad you said you are happy and 30pbs is a lot!

Seeing this makes me realise I need to pick up my RingFit. It's been gathering dust for far too long...

I played ring fit for over 200h in 2020, it wasnt the only thing I had to help me lose weight, but having lost over 30 pounds last year, I'm glad i had this game to complement this journey.

I run around 5 miles 3 times a week, i tried to cut all the junk food I used to eat and started eating real home made food and I also got some equipments to help me build some muscles.

After 12 months I feel much better, my back doesn't hurt anymore and I'm happy with what I see in the mirror.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Hopefully I can get more motivated as well, good job.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Oh dear. I wish I'd maintained the physio excercises for my knee over the last year at least, this game is making me ache everywhere. First played it on Friday, felt good afterwards but didn't do much of a cooldown and then was sore for most of saturday and of all Sunday, likely exacerbated by my 2nd attempt at dragaux today. despite the aches I already felt a bit better doing the stretches, but need to get less gassed and aim for half an hour.

No matter what I do the game will not recognise me doing the chair pose, unless I actually sit down lol. I'm almost relieved, it's bloody hard to do.
I still feel that chair lose is still a very difficult exercise to do, but as a beginner it was killer, even moreso than regular squats.

The only advice I can give is listen to your body, when you feel tired and want to rest. If you find it too difficult, at anytime feel free to lower the difficulty

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Finished the Story yesterday as in World 23.

After a bit over a hundred days with the game recommending me to cool down after ~10 minutes of exercise (is this fixed? Been like that since I began playing), I didn't expect such a long final stage. Thankfully I did it on the weekend, on a weekday it would really mess my schedule.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
even a month later, that won't teach me what exercise i should pick or do though, i'll just have to chose based on zero knowledge

I mean you have the three colors as a general indication of which muscle (group) the exercise is targeting most. So if you don't do any other form of workout, you should try to get roughly an equal amount of all three colors in. From the quick play menu you can also select specific muscle (groups) and corresponding that can further help you in your choices.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I mean you have the three colors as a general indication of which muscle (group) the exercise is targeting most. So if you don't do any other form of workout, you should try to get roughly an equal amount of all three colors in. From the quick play menu you can also select specific muscle (groups) and corresponding that can further help you in your choices.

i'm trying to vary between all colors sure (you said 3 but there's 4) but since your list is limited i never know which ones to pick or if they're good together, you're tempted to keep the same but that's not good either i guess

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to jump back into it today, I'll be starting fresh in world 1 again. Haven't touched the game in over half a year ^^'
my plan for now is to start with 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the option to do either Saturday and Sunday as well. I have a terrible condition worsened by working from home, so going for every day would be an extreme overkill. For now I also don't have a minimum amount of playtime I want to achieve, my main goal is to stick to the days I mentioned.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Congrats on your journey man, one hell of a ride :)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've fallen off this game and haven't done any real exercise in....months.

I want to get back into it, even recently made a slight request on my permanent work schedule so I could potentially have more time to squeeze this or other exercising in.

But I'm also afraid to get back into it since the last few times (and this is when I was fairly active) had me damn near close to puking. The plank workout was so utterly painful I had to de-equip that shit real fast.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best way was to reintegrate myself into this: resume where I left off in the campaign at a lower difficulty? Start with the mini exercises (which I've never even touched)?

I'm also curious whether OP or anyone else mixes in traditional exercising or has purely stuck to Ring Fit as their go-to? One of the most infuriating things that I've never been able to figure out is exactly how much exercising I need to do, based on my height, weight etc on a normal basis in order for it to be "effective". And I don't have a lot of time to spare, and even if I did I wouldn't want to commit more than an hour/half-hour of actual exercise per day (I've also heard about "spreading it out" throughout the day, like pushups/squats here and there during an 8 hour workshift for example).

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking hell the first conveyor wrecked me. I used to regularly do HIIT running a few years ago and was slowly getting my way towards a sub 20 5k but I had to rest for 10 minutes because of a simulated conveyor belt. makes me sick how far I done fell.

Having fun with it all the same. I desperately needed something like this for my mental wellbeing. Combined with the odd walk, I'm confident I'll see out the latest lockdown without feeling like it was time wasted. I'm already feeling more confident and less achey with the various stretches.

even a month later, that won't teach me what exercise i should pick or do though, i'll just have to chose based on zero knowledge

I guess you could look in the custom mode? you can set an exercise from each group, or focus on cardio, or yoga poses etc. and then once you've figured out what suits you then go back to the campaign and choose those.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I started doing sessions with a personal trainer shortly after the new year, primarily focusing on strength/weights, but I have been thinking about playing this on the off days. Might be a good compliment.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017

I want to get back into it, even recently made a slight request on my permanent work schedule so I could potentially have more time to squeeze this or other exercising in.

But I'm also afraid to get back into it since the last few times (and this is when I was fairly active) had me damn near close to puking. The plank workout was so utterly painful I had to de-equip that shit real fast.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best way was to reintegrate myself into this: resume where I left off in the campaign at a lower difficulty? Start with the mini exercises (which I've never even touched)?

I'm also curious whether OP or anyone else mixes in traditional exercising or has purely stuck to Ring Fit as their go-to? One of the most infuriating things that I've never been able to figure out is exactly how much exercising I need to do, based on my height, weight etc on a normal basis in order for it to be "effective". And I don't have a lot of time to spare, and even if I did I wouldn't want to commit more than an hour/half-hour of actual exercise per day (I've also heard about "spreading it out" throughout the day, like pushups/squats here and there during an 8 hour workshift for example).
I'm guessing most people are doing a little bit additional exercise elsewhere, but honestly let's say you do 30 minutes of ring fit 3 times a week you will notice a difference after many sessions. Not aesthetically, but you will notice you'll have stronger legs, more defined core and better posture. Imo posture alone will have a huge effect in your life.

The adventure mode is so long you might as well continue it at a lower level, and then work your way up depending on how you feel. But the best way to exercise in ring fit is to make a custom playlist of exercises because the adventure mode has a lot of down time.

Adventure mode is really there to make the exercises more fun to do. This channel has some custom playlists that you can integrate depending on what you want out of ring fit.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

I do combined gym and ringfit everyday. I hit the gym for an hour in the morning, then run a mile, then before bed I do about 30 minutes of ringfit then 20 minutes of yoga (just trying to gain flexibility with that).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
the thing that sucks about ring fit is that it is actually good so it makes me want to exercise so I can play more of it :(((((

i can only do so many squats in a day, nintendo. this isn't fair.

I swear to god this is going to be my longest completion this year.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I got this over the holidays and I've been doing it for the last couple weeks and it's been great to have what with being cooped away and unable to go to the gym. I used to go boxing a few times a week as well as run and basically have not been able to do any real boxing training since the pandemic hit. I was leaning on going for runs the past several months but it wasn't sufficient, then winter hit and I've just been kind of on a slow decline since. However this has been a fantastic motivator to get me back on track and keep me motivated again. Looking forward to going boxing again some day though it will be an uphill battle to get back to where I was. For now though this is a fun hold over until then.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing most people are doing a little bit additional exercise elsewhere, but honestly let's say you do 30 minutes of ring fit 3 times a week you will notice a difference after many sessions. Not aesthetically, but you will notice you'll have stronger legs, more defined core and better posture. Imo posture alone will have a huge effect in your life.

The adventure mode is so long you might as well continue it at a lower level, and then work your way up depending on how you feel. But the best way to exercise in ring fit is to make a custom playlist of exercises because the adventure mode has a lot of down time.

Adventure mode is really there to make the exercises more fun to do. This channel has some custom playlists that you can integrate depending on what you want out of ring fit.

looks like he covers just straight weight loss. cool

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Phew, leg raises were TOUGH tonight as I had done a bunch of back exercises at the gym today.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
i'm trying to vary between all colors sure (you said 3 but there's 4) but since your list is limited i never know which ones to pick or if they're good together, you're tempted to keep the same but that's not good either i guess
You still have a lot of locked options. At this point, just take the highest damaging move and voila.
If you never finished the campaign, it may be a good idea to continue to play it: the story is not complicated, but it provided me enough motivation to keep going back to it.

Don't hesitate to lower the difficulty: I made the mistake of not lowering enough after a small pause (I was ill) and it was a frustration no being able to do as much as I was capable before this pause. Lowering the difficulty help me get back a bit of motivation, then the lock down happened and I was too stressed to play.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give me some advice for beating the challenge to get an average score of 90 on the leg gym?

Trying as hard as I can gets me 86. Outright cheating gets me 88. What does Mountain Climber WANT FROM ME?!

The above aside, I'm glad I'm able to play this game. I have a minor physical disability and I was worried it would stop my from playing outright, like it did with Wii Fit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 69771

I've never done any other kind of exercise, and I don't spend more than 1.5 hours with the game daily I'd say. Also with people asking what exercises to do idk I just tried them all and when I found a hard one I kept it in my fit skills until it wasn't hard anymore

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've never done any other kind of exercise, and I don't spend more than 1.5 hours with the game daily I'd say. Also with people asking what exercises to do idk I just tried them all and when I found a hard one I kept it in my fit skills until it wasn't hard anymore
Yeah same. I generally hate doing any kind of plank exercises, but I will force myself to do it and get better at it during this.

EDIT: But also I should say, SOLDIER if anything makes you sick, don't force yourself to puking point. Take it slow and go at a comfortable pace for now and build up that endurance.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Do we have a workout thread on this forum?

On topic, this game is surprisingly effective as a casual workout and damn I can't believe OP got that amount of muscle from just playing the game.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for the tips. I've been following this playlist and already feel a sizable "power up" after just a week.

However, the squats during the third playlist (resistance build up) nearly destroyed me, but I think it's an issue with the sensor and/or my height: I had to go uncomfortably low in order for the game to even acknowledge that I was doing them correctly, which makes me think that maybe it's misreading the sensor on my leg. I tend to have to put the strap high above my knee since it keeps slipping off otherwise, and sometimes my shorts block the sensor bar on the top of the joypad.

Wondering what I can do to avoid this and get a more accurate reading? It's going to do more harm then good if I'm way too sore from over-extending.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What level are you playing at? I think i put it too low at 15

Also what does the level affect? Enemy health/defense? though exercises?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Started this on Monday. That first boss was brutal for me! All of those squats, plus my ab guard wasn't up to snuff so I lost first time through. Excited to keep going I am the experience points!

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Ive finally bought the game this week as gyms remain closed and had a workout yesterday and one today.

it really is a workout! Had to get a towel thnx to sweating and had to drink a lot during workouts.

very cool game, good going nintendo!

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What level are you playing at? I think i put it too low at 15

Also what does the level affect? Enemy health/defense? though exercises?
I started at 15 (got it on release day) and went up by one every 2 to 4 weeks at first, depending on how much I played and how confortable I was.
I'm now settling at 21 or 22 for now as I only play it once or twice a week for one hour and a half each time..

Difficulty affects mostly the number of reps you have to do to complete an exercise, for example I have to do 23 or 24 low press to complete an exercise.
It should deal the same total amount of damage for an exercise, just the number of reps changes.
It may also make some holds longer.
It also depends on the exercise, some require less so it won't up by one at each difficulty level.

I'm level 290 or so in the middle of new game+, and since many many levels I felt "too" strong against enemies (even in the main game), so I'm using basic outfits to deal less damage (thus do more reps and exercises), and be a bit more vulnerable against them (so I can use the shoulder press to heal more often).

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the tips. I've been following this playlist and already feel a sizable "power up" after just a week.

However, the squats during the third playlist (resistance build up) nearly destroyed me, but I think it's an issue with the sensor and/or my height: I had to go uncomfortably low in order for the game to even acknowledge that I was doing them correctly, which makes me think that maybe it's misreading the sensor on my leg. I tend to have to put the strap high above my knee since it keeps slipping off otherwise, and sometimes my shorts block the sensor bar on the top of the joypad.

Wondering what I can do to avoid this and get a more accurate reading? It's going to do more harm then good if I'm way too sore from over-extending.
It should be around the same height that it shows in the demo, maybe 3 or 4 inches above the knee(I'm bad at measuring). I think if you put it too high, like around the thigh it will not register certain movements properly so that may be the reason why you have to go so low with the squats. Try mid exercise putting the left joy-con lower and see if it changes the results.

Yeah you shouldn't have to go extremely low, but I will say that squats is one of the hardest exercises in the beginning. The first couple of weeks I had to take frequent breaks because of the squats.

Make sure you don't do too many in a row. Let's say you have a set with 16 reps: do 8 pause the game, take a breather and do the remainder.

Nicko the squat master of this thread helped me out big time when he told me to lean on my heals, give that a try as well.

Aside; pendulum lift kinda brutal

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It should be around the same height that it shows in the demo, maybe 3 or 4 inches above the knee(I'm bad at measuring). I think if you put it too high, like around the thigh it will not register certain movements properly so that may be the reason why you have to go so low with the squats. Try mid exercise putting the left joy-con lower and see if it changes the results.

Yeah you shouldn't have to go extremely low, but I will say that squats is one of the hardest exercises in the beginning. The first couple of weeks I had to take frequent breaks because of the squats.

Make sure you don't do too many in a row. Let's say you have a set with 16 reps: do 8 pause the game, take a breather and do the remainder.

Figured as much. Only problem is if I match the demo picture the strap might slip off, as I mentioned.

Is there by chance a third party alternative that sticks much better to the leg, maybe a brace-style wrap?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The amount of reps you have to perform.
I started at 15 (got it on release day) and went up by one every 2 to 4 weeks at first, depending on how much I played and how confortable I was.
I'm now settling at 21 or 22 for now as I only play it once or twice a week for one hour and a half each time..

Difficulty affects mostly the number of reps you have to do to complete an exercise, for example I have to do 23 or 24 low press to complete an exercise.
It should deal the same total amount of damage for an exercise, just the number of reps changes.
It may also make some holds longer.
It also depends on the exercise, some require less so it won't up by one at each difficulty level.

I'm level 290 or so in the middle of new game+, and since many many levels I felt "too" strong against enemies (even in the main game), so I'm using basic outfits to deal less damage (thus do more reps and exercises), and be a bit more vulnerable against them (so I can use the shoulder press to heal more often).
ok Thanks
I'll probably up the level a bit

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone still in the market for these? We bought it and I really enjoyed it, but my wife doesn't play it and I bought it as kind of a thing we'd do together. Still have the box and everything.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Figured as much. Only problem is if I match the demo picture the strap might slip off, as I mentioned.

Is there by chance a third party alternative that sticks much better to the leg, maybe a brace-style wrap?
Haven't seen anything like that, from doing a quick search, quite a number of people have had the same issue with the leg strap, some suggesting that it should be better quality. Only thing I could say is to put it on bare skin and strap it pretty tight. Beyond that, I don't know, sorry.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen anything like that, from doing a quick search, quite a number of people have had the same issue with the leg strap, some suggesting that it should be better quality. Only thing I could say is to put it on bare skin and strap it pretty tight. Beyond that, I don't know, sorry.

Does it affect the sensor if I were to put my shorts over the joycon? That's been part of the problem, my shorts tend to drop past where the strap is "supposed" to be.

I suppose I could just exercise in my underwear, but....let's not resort to that just yet.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Does it affect the sensor if I were to put my shorts over the joycon? That's been part of the problem, my shorts tend to drop past where the strap is "supposed" to be.

I suppose I could just exercise in my underwear, but....let's not resort to that just yet.

That's exactly what I do, haha. Luckily, I've got my own room to do it in so the lack of shorts isn't a big concern.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

It shouldn't affect things at all. Except for heart rate measuring, the game only uses the accelerometers. The joy-cons communicate using Bluetooth, which happily passes through fabric. You could, if you wanted to, wear a thick pair of jeans, and put a fluffy steering wheel cover on the ring.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking hell this has been my introduction to planks today. I both love them and hate them at the same time.

already feeling better but can't wait until I can do a semi vigurous work out for 30 minutes and not struggle towards the end. feel like I'll be on the same exercise level for a while. On world 4 and had to back to the minigames/world 1 to not keel over.

I love pretty every ui tip and script. such a charming and helpful game too with really helps.

I also have issues with the strap staying in place. tried it over jogging bottoms, over my shorts, above my bare knee, under my shorts. fucker won't stay in place for the whole session.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
In 2019, I was running 6 times a week about 5k each day.

2020, I had a busy work year and had some mental health issues so it just stopped completely and I put on a load of weight and lost my form.

2021, I've picked up Apple Fitness+ for 10 minutes work out when I wake up and then I follow it up with a quick session of Ring Fit Adventure. I've only been doing this for about a week and man, I'm already feeling a lot better (and exhausted! haha!)

This is just as good as Wii Fit. I can't believe I've been sleeping on this.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'll add my own before and after pics. It's not all Ring Fit but it has been my main driving factor throughout the pandemic.
I love the variety in the excercises and the fact that it still challenges me even at NG+.

I've changed from 5-6 days a week to a steady 2-3 weekly sessions as I've slowly managed to get back to other excercising. But yeah. It works.

139754318_10158047333042725_8591124339140864403_o.jpg