• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Really considering this. How does it compare to wii fit? Do I have to just play an adventure mode or can I pick and choose what I want to do?

There is Custom Mode where you can pick and choose exercises (including jogging through the courses in the game) to create playlists. There's also Quick Play with some additional challenges and quick access to exercise sets, as well as the Rhythm Mode.

Compared to Wii Fit I feel there's a lot more focus on the exercise portion. That might sound weird considering the big emphasis on the Adventure Mode with its RPG elements, but the moves you do I feel are more intense both in terms of strength training and aerobic exercise. There's still yoga in here, but Wii Fit had a lot more focus on balance and posture than Ring Fit does, and with a lot of activities that weren't really designed to make you break a sweat.

So it's paradoxically more gamey than Wii Fit, but at the same time manages to be a better workout program IMO. Oh, and it doesn't track your weight.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
i bought one immedietaly when I kept slipping doing planks lol

i just copied the quickplay series sets.

but the time you waste on menus is bonkers,

so i just returned to doing the quickplay series sets, without any tracking
Hmm okay, I'll continue with those then maybe trying out the hardcore mode

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I just played this for the first time, and, uh... I seem to have underestimated this game. She is a cruel mistress.

I barely ever exercise, not counting walking to places when I need to get around, so I told the game that, and when it then asked for how intense I wanted the exercise to be I bumped it up a level from the default, which was the most intense option. I knew that the game was going to be different from games where you just press buttons, but video games usually start super easy, so it felt like the smart thing to do. When I later manually checked the difficulty level the game had set me, it was 20/30, which again seemed like what I would've imagined I wanted: slightly above medium.

My goal when I started was to beat the first world. 3 levels seemed like a decent workout. Anyway, first two levels, no problem. Noticed my heart rate had increased, but that's what exercise does to you. Jumped right into the third and final one.

Well, I get halfway through the boss fight, and I start feeling like throwing up. I needed to quit mid-fight, which sucks. That didn't make me regret buying the game, but I think that's a good indicator that I should lower the intensity a tad. Alternatively, I could do shorter gaming sessions as well, but doing three levels at a time just feels right.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really considering this. How does it compare to wii fit? Do I have to just play an adventure mode or can I pick and choose what I want to do?
I like it more than Wii Fit because obviously with the ring con and leg strap, the game has a lot more exercises, and it's a lot more difficult to cheat the system.

You don't have to do adventure mode, although I don't know why you wouldn't. It's really good.

What I do miss from Wii Fit is just being able to job in place forever. I really don't understand how they still haven't added that. Hell, even proper distance travelled measurements would be nice. I thought I could cheat the system by jogging in place running into an obstacle, but it doesn't track that as distance run. The best thing we have is the occasional course that has a loop, but even those have some jumps thrown in that are annoying.

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
stupid question regarding Ring Fit... ¿does the joy-con drift problem affects this game in any way???

PS: Congrats on your progress OP

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm okay, I'll continue with those then maybe trying out the hardcore mode

how do you feel with the relaxed ones?

do you get tired? do you body kinda hurts?

because on the hardcode mode, there two times the excercise per set, the repetitions are double too, and the time you need to "maintain" a pose or something is also longer.

THEY ARE KILLERS honestly

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
I got Bell's palsy some months ago. It was a combination of the stress of home office and my bad life style. I got on diet and bought this game. I weighted more than 90 kg (sorry, not a fan of Imperial system). Now I weight 86. That sounds like "only 4 kg?" but that's because I did earn 2 kg of muscle. And this is the only exercise I do. And I lowered from "Obese" to "Overweight". I'm happy.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
There is Custom Mode where you can pick and choose exercises (including jogging through the courses in the game) to create playlists. There's also Quick Play with some additional challenges and quick access to exercise sets, as well as the Rhythm Mode.

Compared to Wii Fit I feel there's a lot more focus on the exercise portion. That might sound weird considering the big emphasis on the Adventure Mode with its RPG elements, but the moves you do I feel are more intense both in terms of strength training and aerobic exercise. There's still yoga in here, but Wii Fit had a lot more focus on balance and posture than Ring Fit does, and with a lot of activities that weren't really designed to make you break a sweat.

So it's paradoxically more gamey than Wii Fit, but at the same time manages to be a better workout program IMO. Oh, and it doesn't track your weight.
Sounds awesome. I just bought it so hopefully it is as good as it sounds!

dsmash

May 19, 2020
does any one know how many calories would you burn doing the "quickplay > series>relaxed settings" excercises?

that is what i do daily, but i have no idea how many calories are
Keep in mind that the purpose of exercise isn't really to burn calories but is to get fit. If you're looking to reduce calories, the most effective way to do so is through diet. Even extremely strenuous exercise burns surprisingly few calories.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
jBlPr3g.jpg

Toni Codrea

If I'm not ripped in 90 days, I'll come knocking at your door

Edit: My dog did a number on the left corner of the box 5 mins in

Callandor

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, the last level of this game does not play around, but 55 days in, it is done, and this pic sums up the experience:

Now for this NG+ thing...

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Had to get new Joy-Cons because I out-motioned my last ones. Now I'm back in the game with better sensitivity!

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I got this game yesterday and I'm planning to use it daily. I'm used to run 50 minutes 3-4 times a week, but I don't want to go out this fall with the covid situation in my country.

Any advice from people around here using the game? Does it really work?

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I got this game yesterday and I'm planning to use it daily. I'm used to run 50 minutes 3-4 times a week, but I don't want to go out this fall with the covid situation in my country.

Any advice from people around here using the game? Does it really work?

Yes, it really works. Most of the exercises are focused on muscle building though. You'll definitely breeze through the cardio exercises. Most of them are about a minute long (at max difficulty). You don't run a lot in the game and I think the stand-in-place jog is a lot less intense than "real" running.

I found that doing exercises focused on other parts of the body (e.g. core) helped with running. I mostly use it as a supplement to my running routine.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I like that this game, unlike Wii Fit, does not focus too much on weight loss (which is obvious given that the peripheral this time is not a scale). The fact that you are not all the time focused on your weight makes the exercise more bearable and at your own pace.

I'll give you a friendly advice: If you are like me, a sedentary person who is not used to work out, you could gain a little weight in the first weeks of your training. Why? the muscles will begin to increase their capacity to store glycogen, in order to have a bigger energy reserve, for every gram of glycogen stored in the muscle, three grams of water are stored. So that weight gained in the first weeks of training will probably be water and not precisely fat. So don't get too obsessed with weight, take a love of exercise, do things at your own pace and little by little everything will flow.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Yes, it really works. Most of the exercises are focused on muscle building though. You'll definitely breeze through the cardio exercises. Most of them are about a minute long (at max difficulty). You don't run a lot in the game and I think the stand-in-place jog is a lot less intense than "real" running.

I found that doing exercises focused on other parts of the body (e.g. core) helped with running. I mostly use it as a supplement to my running routine.
I think the cardio part is more of a way to warm up or make sure you keep your heart rate up in between doing the exercise battles. I changed it to silent mode just to work on my legs more and i feel like it's better for muscle building than the jogging.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Just finished the first level. Hoping I can get in the habit of playing it every day. Game-ifying my workout is probably the only way I'll be able to convince my brain to exercise daily haha.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Loving it so far but I'm worried my posture isn't that great. Like for the swinging pendulum I feel like if my back isn't bent over at 90 degrees, I might be doing damage to it.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I could play it every day but I've resorted to an every-other-day schedule. Granted I do go for at least 30 minutes of on-screen exercise time. Yesterday I did 50 minutes and I am legit sore today. The good sore, though.

And I haven't even touched the quickplay stuff, I'm basically only doing the campaign! I feel like I might be missing out on some goods. I've only really read the past couple pages so gonna go read up the rest of the thread to catch up.

Mad respect to Nintendo. I'm actually looking forward to the next times I play this.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys thinks is better, a daily routine of 15-20 minutes or 45-60 minute workouts for 2-3 times a week? (in-game timer)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been using this every other day to mix up my stay at home training.
It's quite taxing! Playing at 28/30 and after half an hour, I'm feeling like a good workout already.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the planking attack. I have to relocate my mat when this comes up because otherwise my Joycon looses it's signal and doesn't recognize half the movement anymore which is really frustrating.
Which is more the fault of Nintendos shitty JoyCon connection and less the game I guess.

Still really enjoying it. I'm only in world 4 and a level can take up to 20 minutes since I'm not using Smoothies so far. Feels really rewarding though.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
I usually do 45 minutes or more a day. But it's also important to mix up your workouts.

Thanks for they reply. That is about 1-1.5 hours real-time though, so it is too much time for me to devote every single day, that is why I am asking comparing the two options of short daily routines, instead of mid-long routines 2-3 times a week.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow you guys are dedicated.

I just quit usually when the game suggests it (around 10 min effective exercising). Do it every morning. Sometimes twice (morning and evening).

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Too bad I have to drop the game right now, I have some weird right arm injury happening that prevent me from playing the game.

Jan 2, 2018
Okay, probably a dumb question, and I'm too lazy to read the entire thread:

I got a litte belly through covid and such, can i get rid of it with this game? I could get the game in 3 days and will buy it, if it will help me.

Callandor

Oct 27, 2017

I got a litte belly through covid and such, can i get rid of it with this game? I could get the game in 3 days and will buy it, if it will help me.
Weight loss is fundamentally a matter of what and how much you eat. If you really want to lose weight, you'll need to watch your diet carefully and eat better/consume less calories.

With that said, exercise will help, and RFA is a nice option for getting in some exercise at home.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
So I started Ring Fit almost 2 1/2 months ago and I'm down almost 40 lbs. I'm actually under my pre-Covid weight. So that's nice.
First month I didn't lose any weight but my stomach got smaller. So I was definitely seeing results even if the scale wasn't.
Then I completely revamped my diet and lbs started coming off. My original goal, 220, I'm within 6 lbs of being. But I decided to make it 210 instead and I'm going to attempt quitting smoking. Every person I know who's quit gains weight like a motherfucker. So I figure give myself that 10 lb cushion and when I eat, try sugarless gum and the snacks I'm already eating between meals.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ

If you see my above post I actually mention my first month I didn't lose shit for lbs but my stomach was getting smaller. Weight didn't start dropping till I completely changed my diet.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I bought this the other day on amazon. I hope I like it because I don't do any kind of exercise.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting back into RingFit over the past few weeks after quite a long sabbatical. I have been running semi-consistently during my break but I have definitely gotten a bit out of shape for my standard.

I've been mixing RingFit in between runs and the game is really absolutely wonderful after you get past the starting worlds. There is a slow start with a lack of options that I think can kill people's interest early on. I'm in World 9 now and there is such a flow and I can exercise how I want pretty freely due to my option in courses from previous worlds and pushing forward with the story. I try to keep myself moving whenever I can in menus and other pauses in gameplay so that I can maintain a cardio level and it keeps me more engaged second to second. I've seen some real progress already and I feel much better than I have.

Anyone else revisiting this right now?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a lazy bum this last month due to a lot of work commitments and gaming/movies(the latter not being a good excuse at all). This thread bump reminds me that I need to get back into healthy shape for the holiday season. Gonna bust out the ringfit starting tonight

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say that directional detection is absolutely shit when you're running with any sort of vigor (sprinting/knee lifts). You have to hold the ringcon almost perfectly still for it to tell that you're trying to point down, but how the hell you gonna do that when you're jogging. That one sidequest in world eleven or whatever is BS

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a lazy bum this last month due to a lot of work commitments and gaming/movies(the latter not being a good excuse at all). This thread bump reminds me that I need to get back into healthy shape for the holiday season. Gonna bust out the ringfit starting tonight
Definitely part of the reason why I bumped this specific thread.
Started it back up just over a month ago and a year break; I had forgotten how great this game is once you get into the groove.
Yeah, I've gone through a few different stages with the game where I thought it was great to start, then simply good but limited, and now revisiting I am seeing how the later worlds really have a much better flow to them. I've been on World 9 for three days of pretty long workouts just due to all of the extras and side quests, so much content!
Can I just say that directional detection is absolutely shit when you're running with any sort of vigor (sprinting/knee lifts). You have to hold the ringcon almost perfectly still for it to tell that you're trying to point down, but how the hell you gonna do that when you're jogging. That one sidequest in world eleven or whatever is BS
I have some issues with it but not really during the running portions. I'm pretty good at flicking to grab coins and items and I don't think I've ever had issues pointing down. Some of the minigames are hard to master because of this I feel (especially the frisbee one where you have to swat things away, I have mad calibration issues there).

For running purposes I actually do this game in just spandex so I can get the leg one higher up on my thigh and it seems to have much better detection than closer to the knee. I'm glad I do it while no one is watching.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yup. There's no re-calibrate option, either.

The Right Joy-con is the worst controller ever made. The signal SUCKS of it, so it's SO EASY for it to lose the direction you're moving it in.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
For running purposes I actually do this game in just spandex so I can get the leg one higher up on my thigh and it seems to have much better detection than closer to the knee. I'm glad I do it while no one is watching.
That part's not the problem for me since I play the game in my boxers haha. Leg strap pretty high up. I don't generally have problems, but it's just this one very specific sidequest where you have to get a fairly high number of points without standing still the entire time. Forgot the name of the minigame, the treadmill one, but you have to run pretty vigorously to accelerate in that one.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks in general for me. The fan mini-game is unbeatable for me because the detection is so unreliable.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's currently $70 on Amazon. Going to give it a shot and hope to help with this Covid weight gain.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Been back into playing it for the new year. I'm also adding daily walks (when it's not frigid where I live) and a pushup routine. Felt really nice to run through a few levels this AM. It's truly a fun way to get active.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Yesterday, I finally got a new copy of Ring Fit Adventure. It was the last one in the store. Played it today, and it kicked my ass. Anytime I tried to do the squats, it didn't register. Maybe I have to pull the leg strap up further on my thigh. I do like it a lot so far. The game looks really good graphically. For the avatar you pick, I went with the girl because she's on the cover.