• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I bought it because of this thread. did 6 days in a row at a fairly high level, and did three 5k runs, and I'm wrecked. I'm taking today off.

Love it!

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Phew, passed the statue section and the game is fun again. That part was definitely a drag on the pacing.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 2, one for my GF and one for me. She is loving it. I am enjoying it as well. I am starting to get my kids into the game.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I bought it. Got it last week but only started yesterday. The game is wrecking me. I'm playing below the last difficulty and the game is really pushing me to my limits.

It's pretty good, though. I highly recommend it. Supposedly you can improve your stamina by playing the game, which I hope is the case.

OP
OP

Deleted member 69771

Added planks, overhead press, mountain climber and wide squat to my fit skills today, I want to have no problems with those again. Nevertheless I'm dead, lol. Did 53 mins today.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
holy crap, just had my first session..only did like 30 minutes but my shirt is soaked with sweat. This actually seems to be great and work unlike past exercise games from nintendo.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the progress. I've been playing Thrill of the Fight, essentially shadow boxing for close to an hour post strength training. It's such a great form of cardio/HIIT, especially if you get tricky incorporate muscle bands around your torso so it feels like each punch has resistance to it.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My copy arrived today, went straight to difficulty 30, couldn't last 20 minutes, but I really liked it so far

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
My copy comes in tomorrow and am beyond excited. I'm 5ft8 around 135lbs but don't work out at all, a. Really hoping to tone up a bit.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Was hanging out with the fam today and got my nephew into the endless pulls (and the other quick exercises). He predictably got into it pretty quick, we were joking about how his swim team should all get it and compete over Zoom. I left my Switch and Ring Fit over there (cause I had class tonight and couldn't play anyway) so everyone else could try it out. Later they sent me a video of my nephew getting near 170s on the overhead pull...a good 40+ seconds past my best I think. My arms are not looking forward to trying to beat that.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Amazon Pre Order is up for anyone interested.

Amazon.com: Ring Fit Adventure - Nintendo Switch: Nintendo of America: Video Games

Amazon.com: Ring Fit Adventure - Nintendo Switch: Nintendo of America: Video Games
Got excited cause it's in stock still (want to get it for my sister's fam)...then saw the scalper price.

Edit: in stock and on sale at FNAC?

Edit 2: Guess that's out too

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Think I'm on my 8th day now, really enjoying it!
I'm definitely noticing some slight improvement already which is awesome

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Done 4 days in a row since getting it, love it. Difficulty level 17 and I've done between 15-30 minutes of active training per day. Can feel it in my body for sure, but still want to push on instead of skipping days.
Being an RPG and cooldowns on attacks essentially being your own body/willpower is brilliant. Excited to unlock more exercises and to see my progress.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone play this in portable mode? Seems too small to see what is going on the screen if you are more than a foot away. Or maybe my eyes suck.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay got this game today and I was put into intensity setting 22.
Damn I'm dead after the first world!
But wow it already feels worth it and I love it!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Okay got this game today and I was put into intensity setting 22.
Damn I'm dead after the first world!
But wow it already feels worth it and I love it!
I really really hope that this evolves and we get more fitness actives with really good software.

You would think that with the insane demand for this game more companies would be trying to put out their take on it.

It is an incredibly novel feeling to be playing a game via exercise. I have played enough of this game now to agree with the OP that Nintendo really absolutely nailed it and this is definitely one of the best games of the generation IMO. And I am sure this is just the surface of what can be done. I really hope to see more companies improve and evolve on it.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Just got it! Played for a bit and beat world 1. It's definitely a workout, especially when you've been sedentary for a bit! I like how encouraging it is

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I'm a lifelong gamer, so my instincts will will often tell me to beat an enemy as efficiently as possible, even if I should be working out a different area of my body. Take ARMando for instance. He's clearly designed to focus you on arm workouts, but if I drink a pomegranate smoothie (changes all attacks to red) followed by a strawberry smoothie (buffs red attack), I can use exercises like leg press or the waist bend to defeat him much faster. I have to remind myself to prioritize the actual workout before the gameplay.

Also, how do people feel about the pulse measurements? Sometimes I will have a pretty good sweat going and it will tell me that I've done a "very light workout", which is obviously not accurate.

"Complaints" aside, I am really enjoying the game and the workout. I WANT to workout, which is great.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone in an apartment with hardwood, any way to run in place without bothering my neighbors? Not that I hate the silent mode, I have no rump so probably need those squats anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, i dont know much about the fitness world, but planks and whoever invented them can go to hell.
hahahah, i die every single time i use the plank attack

For anyone in an apartment with hardwood, any way to run in place without bothering my neighbors? Not that I hate the silent mode, I have no rump so probably need those squats anyway.
i use a yoga mat and it still makes the wood creak, so i basically HAVE to use silent mode. it more than works, though.

Also, how do people feel about the pulse measurements? Sometimes I will have a pretty good sweat going and it will tell me that I've done a "very light workout", which is obviously not accurate.
i've been having other issues, where the joycon in the ring doesn't recognize a rep being completed and whatnot. i've brought it up here and in the OT and it seems like no one else is having issues.

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone play this in portable mode? Seems too small to see what is going on the screen if you are more than a foot away. Or maybe my eyes suck.

I play in portable mode but I'm a weirdo. Gotta move the switch around to other places depending on the exercises and you will miss some items along the paths cuz you notice them too late. It's not recommended but doable.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you get the best results from doing exercises you struggle with. If you can barely do any pushups that will push your body more than repeating exercises you can do easily.

The exercises that involve my hands on the ground are too hard for me. I feel I'll injure myself. I would've needed exercises to build up to them to teach me proper form. Not being able to set intensity on individual exercises doesn't help.

How much weight would you say you've lost since you first started playing?

I have not lost weight and did not expect to lose any. Diet changes are way more important than exercise for weight loss. I have at least 30 pounds to lose but being on lock down makes it hard for me to stay away from the fridge.

I love this game anyway and feel much better thanks to it.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this but this is way too difficult if you had a knee surgery / your knee is fucked up :(
I've had two ACL surgeries in the past three years and I can do it. Helps a lot with regaining my muscle on my operated leg. But they also have settings so you can turn off jogging/knee exercises.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Edit: Unless you have a medical condition, the whole point is to push through on the exercises you're bad at. Thats where you'll find the most overall physical improvement. They should definitely not set a difficulty per exercise I think, its tempting enough to just skip the ones you're bad at as it is.

The problem is that I would just skip the ones I straight up couldn't do. I can barely do A push-up, let alone 20 (or however many it was asking), but since the amount it asks is tied to the difficulty and not your own performance, I had to skip the ones I couldn't despite having little trouble with others. I just wish the game recognized when you struggled with an exercise and offered to reduce their difficultly, and slowly scale it back up.

Yoga Mat solved the issue for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I play in portable mode but I'm a weirdo. Gotta move the switch around to other places depending on the exercises and you will miss some items along the paths cuz you notice them too late. It's not recommended but doable.

The exercises that involve my hands on the ground are too hard for me. I feel I'll injure myself. I would've needed exercises to build up to them to teach me proper form. Not being able to set intensity on individual exercises doesn't help.

I have not lost weight and did not expect to lose any. Diet changes are way more important than exercise for weight loss. I have at least 30 pounds to lose but being on lock down makes it hard for me to stay away from the fridge.

I love this game anyway and feel much better thanks to it.
yeah, i'm not really losing weight either. it has been really great for my mental health though. and of course exercise is always is a good thing.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game really has been a godsend during the pandemic

I mostly switched to quick play and custom routines because honestly the time wasted in menus and stuff for the adventure mode kind of sucked. it's so easy to just get in, focus on a muscle group for a little bit, do a couple jogs, and be out.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Just completed world 2! Went from 10 minutes last session to 20 this one. It's a really cute game, I love it! Only problems I've had have been more to do with aiming in order to pick up coins/hit boxes on the side of the path. Sometimes it seems like the calibration is off. Also have only gotten the pulse monitor to work once so far, every time it always says it's failed to measure it. I don't really care about pulse rate tho so that doesn't matter to me. Overall I love this, the arm workouts have been kicking my ass lol.

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed world 2! Went from 10 minutes last session to 20 this one. It's a really cute game, I love it! Only problems I've had have been more to do with aiming in order to pick up coins/hit boxes on the side of the path. Sometimes it seems like the calibration is off. Also have only gotten the pulse monitor to work once so far, every time it always says it's failed to measure it. I don't really care about pulse rate tho so that doesn't matter to me. Overall I love this, the arm workouts have been kicking my ass lol.

I think aiming on the ground recalibrates it if your aiming is off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I sometimes feel the character is not holding the ring in the same direction I am and instinctively move the ring down, then back up, and it seems to fix it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I think aiming on the ground recalibrates it if your aiming is off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I sometimes feel the character is not holding the ring in the same direction I am and instinctively move the ring down, then back up, and it seems to fix it.

That is correct. Just tilt the ring down while centered to recalibrate it

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah I've been trying that but it still feels a little off afterwards. I think in the main menu you can recalibrate it like you do when you first boot up the game tho? I'll check when I play tomorrow.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm getting this from a user here who sold it at an actually reasonable price, so curious to see. I have free weights at my home, but I don't really have any other avenue for exercise and have been curious about this for awhile. Really curious to see how I feel about it in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys do the warm-up and cool-down with every play session too?

I do, personally.

I'm about to be on day seven, I think. I do about 40 - 50 minutes per day in the adventure mode itself + a 12 minute workout that focuses just on abs.

I'm assuming that by the end of the summer, I should have gotten rid of the last of my excess fat that's still hanging onto my stomach. My arms and legs are lean already and will look even better than they do.

I genuinely love this game. I wish I had played it last year so that I could have voted for it in GotY.

And the RPG part of the game is really well made, too! They didn't skimp on the traditional RPG elements.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Before the covid, i went every days to the gym........and i was really fit. Then for 4 month, i couldn't go to the gym and i took 10kg more....Now, i m back to the gym but with all your good comment about it, i just order it for doing more sport in general to lose these 10kilo haha

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I'm still playing this after 3 months so this is officially the longest I have stick to some workout routines.
Congrats to Nintendo lol
This game is really really good.
Also I have tried to play outside undocked and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it even if the screen is rather small.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this last week. Been having fun ever since. I sweat so hard after 45 minutes with max settings. Only came to world 3 as of yet, the enemies are taking a lot of hits lol.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is my GOTY probably. Nintendo really did it. If we need one more fun character at Smash, please let it be this protagonist in male/female choice again with Ringo together. So good! I can only imagine this charakter to be super fun.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh I just unlocked
power of flight
and it makes me really happy. It's a small thing but just adds a sense of fun. It's this kind of thing that kind of elevates the game above being a typical exercise software.

Also the game teases you with
an airship that ends up not happening lol. Would have been cool though!

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
The problem is that I would just skip the ones I straight up couldn't do. I can barely do A push-up, let alone 20 (or however many it was asking), but since the amount it asks is tied to the difficulty and not your own performance, I had to skip the ones I couldn't despite having little trouble with others. I just wish the game recognized when you struggled with an exercise and offered to reduce their difficultly, and slowly scale it back up.

I could barely do 5 squats properly and I had to cheat the rest by using incorrect form but even after a week I've seen massive progress.

If your goal is to complete levels I kind of get it? But even then, you're only cheating yourself.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I could barely do 5 squats properly and I had to cheat the rest by using incorrect form but even after a week I've seen massive progress.

If your goal is to complete levels I kind of get it? But even then, you're only cheating yourself.

My goal wasn't only to "complete" the game (hell, I still haven't.) But part of the goal is to have fun, and frustrating the user is counterproductive to the entire point of the game. I literally could not complete the challenge without actually "cheating" as the game provides no way of quitting an attack once you've started. And since I didn't want to "cheat," I had to ignore the impossible ask the game was making of me by neglecting the move entirely.

And this is a clear failing of the game, in that it could do a better job of customizing the experience on a per-player basis. It goes to great lengths to ensure you're performing the exercise correctly, but it offers zero assistance beyond that. I'd love to get better at push-ups, but not my making me do 10-20 of them at once which added a difficulty way out of alignment with everything else.

I've had personal trainers before and if they saw me struggling with something to that extent, the answer wasn't to force me through the entire exercise without modification.

That being said, I think the game's great. It just isn't perfect.

Last edited: