• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please don't advocate for state sanctioned murdering. This post is absolutely disgusting.

What do you think the National Guard is going to do to stop anything? You're making my argument for me by demonstrating that they really can't do anything.
And it's fucking bizarre that you're singling me out when this thread is full of people who don't pay attention to the real world saying "Machine gun go brrrrrrrrrr.".

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It's just so insane to me that all those terrorists who stormed the Capitol were ready to die with the way they broke in.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
This is circular. Your solutions are definitely not going to happen now either. The solution to the insurrection was the national guard, the solution to attempt two in just a few days is the national guard already being out. It's not complicated.
The purpose of my post was to show the logic pervading this forum is circular. Also the national guard isn't going to solve a deeply rooted issue like this. Throwing some other military force at a problem isn't the answer.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This kind of threat and concern will likely not end for years.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
So its for something like this they defended anyone permitted to have bump stocks and assault rifles ?

Lets see how they fare against the us army.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This is the building now

GettyImages-1295087713.jpg

I'm still baffled they're having a large, outdoor inauguration.

I thought for sure they would announce a smaller ceremony inside with select attendees. One because of covid concerns, the other being to instantly squash crowd size comparisons.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of my post was to show the logic pervading this forum is circular. Also the national guard isn't going to solve a deeply rooted issue like this. Throwing some other military force at a problem isn't the answer.
There is no answer that's going to fundamentally change the situation that's going to happen in the immediate future. There's literally no point to this argument other than ideological posing while putting words in other people's mouths. Either we're talking about the inauguration in a few days having a mob coming to kill Biden or we're talking about long term solutions.

If you're thinking the short term solution is a zoom call from a room... somewhere close enough for Biden to be in the White House by the end of the day, what do you do if that mob just decides to go to wherever Biden is? You'd still need the national guard to use force.

Oct 31, 2017
They are going to find out the hard way that facing military personnel is different from facing Capitol police. I hope for their sake they are writing their wills before they show up.

rucury

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
You don't need trillions, billions, or even millions. You need the will to just start killing a bunch of white people on national TV.
If Capital Police had just started killing people when the second set of barriers started getting smashed down none of that shit inside the building would have happened.
Anyone who thinks that the military or police are just going to immediately start mowing down white people is delusional.
The real cherry on top of this disgusting post is that your idea that Capitol Police killing people openly would have had any effect other than getting those officers killed by right wing lunatics that actually had guns and could then argue they were used in self defense.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I thought for sure they would announce a smaller ceremony inside with select attendees. One because of covid concerns, the other being to instantly squash crowd size comparisons.
Covid seems to actually spread less outside than it does inside. See: lack of covid bump over the summer with the BLM marches, compared to the holiday bump when people gathered in smaller numbers inside. I say let it go on. Just have a national guard presence so the terrorists can't disrupt anything.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

It would actually be safer in terms of Covid for it to be outside and socially distant hence that maybe one of the reasons why it is not indoors.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me feel a little better.
I saw this in pretty good detail on the news. I'm sorry but this is a temporary fence like you would.have in between people's gardens that's held in place by blocks of concrete about 2 meters apart.

It's not going to hold back this terrorist mob, they'll be able to quickly push through the metal and get through.
I hope they get a shit load of police, the national guard, tanks and whatever else they need.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are going to find out the hard way that facing military personnel is different from facing Capitol police. I hope for their sake they are writing their wills before they show up.
It isn't though. AT ALL.
The military is NOT going to shoot first. And if Meal Team Six actually comes armed and ready to die the military is going to be overrun and trampled before they even react.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The real cherry on top of this disgusting post is that your idea that Capitol Police killing people openly would have had any effect other than getting those officers killed by right wing lunatics that actually had guns and could then argue they were used in self defense.

?
Very few of them were armed. And they had no idea where they were going. They only made it deep into the building because they had so much time relatively unopposed.
And we saw them scatter when just one person got shot near the end zone. There was a guy with an assault rifle right there, too, and he didn't start shooting back.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't though. AT ALL.
The military is NOT going to shoot first. And if Meal Team Six actually comes armed and ready to die the military is going to be overrun and trampled before they even react.
Did you not see Wednesday night? Small groups of the the national guard struck first against some of the wackos before they even actually made a move.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the Capitol Police will actually take this threat seriously this time and not welcome their off-duty brothers with open arms. At least I believe the DC Police and National Guard will be ready. The FBI better be all over this and arrest people BEFORE they start shit in DC.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the Capitol Police will actually take this threat seriously this time and not welcome their off-duty brothers with open arms. At least I believe the DC Police and National Guard will be ready. The FBI better be all over this and arrest people BEFORE they start shit in DC.
Just preemptively arresting huge amounts of people would probably be an effective way to kick the problem down the road, but I don't see it happening.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I saw this in pretty good detail on the news. I'm sorry but this is a temporary fence like you would.have in between people's gardens that's held in place by blocks of concrete about 2 meters apart.

It's not going to hold back this terrorist mob, they'll be able to quickly push through the metal and get through.
I hope they get a shit load of police, the national guard, tanks and whatever else they need.

Welp.

DC police won't do shit, I'm going to hope the FBI does its job in the meantime and the National Guard earns its keep come the 20th.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I mean seriously, is that all?

And what's stopping these polices and guards from letting the terrorists in and take selfies with them just like on the 6th? They'll still be facing the same white mobs.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Just preemptively arresting huge amounts of people would probably be an effective way to kick the problem down the road, but I don't see it happening.
I can only imagine people using Twitter, Parler, and right-wing forums are creating a mountain of evidence for the FBI and police to act now. Much like how would-be bombers and shooters are sometimes arrested before they even reach their destination. Proactively arresting people could send a powerful message to these hate groups and contrast strongly to how so many were allowed to walk out of the capitol building without any consequence.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Look, I'm gonna level with y'all, seeing so much support for police brutality and harsh punishment is fucking disturbing to see. I don't care how much you hate MAGAs and Trump supporters or how vile their politics can be, emboldening the police and enforcement departments to commit more terrible acts and in some cases rehabilitating police officers because they pushed back against a group you don't like. Yes, police were particularly brutal and vicious to BLM protestors and did a ton of fucked up things, but there isn't any fucking karmic balance achieved by giving those same disgusting individuals more power and a license to kill now that Trump voters are in the midst. They let the goddamn protestors into the capitol, they aren't people we should be cheering for in any capacity and letting fucking military or secret service or whoever else cause harm to people is not a good solution to anything other than emboldening the government's centralization of power around force and violence.

Like it fucking baffles me how many things people are just OK with now that Trump supporters are on the receiving end of things. The major social media platforms going after right wingers might make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but they're absolutely going to use that power if left leaning people are ever getting a little too uppity in their eyes and they're also absolutely using this to curry good favor with people so they don't look as closely at them and their multiple abuses of power as such platforms.

There are solutions to these issues that don't just further centralize power and permit certain behaviors that can absolutely be turned around on us immediately. Like, there's a good chance that legislation gets brought up pushing back against protestors even further and that will have serious detriments to the future of protesting if a Republican ever gets in power (or if a Democrat decides we're being too extreme in protesting cruel behavior from law enforcement again or whatever).

Like it really fucking bothers me how much people have generally abandoned any pretense of a stance because of Wednesday. Yeah, Wednesday was scary for a lot of people and should have never happened, but maybe we should actually work to ensure that police departments are properly reigned in first so as to ensure protestors don't literally get let in the door before we start saying people getting wounded and shot is OK. Yes some right wingers are filthy pieces of shit, some criminals, and there are ways to deal with those people. But there's also a vague "Fuck the Red States" energy I've seen on here time and time again bleeding through and not so subtlety pushing violence on to plenty of people caught up in the worst institutions of the US in those crowds, and we're punishing the individuals for the fucked up institutions.

Edit: Going to include this Tweet in this original post so I can be as absolutely clear to people as possible what I'm getting at and discussing here:

And another from Rashida Tlaib:

And one last post that Tom Morello retweeted from Washington Post and Guardian contributor, Evan Greer, to show, yes, I'm asking us not to respond with fucking authoritarianism that is likely to make things worse for everyone:

Let's be clear about what their end goal was -- to kill all lines of lawful succession, effectively making Trump a king.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
These guys were probably the same ones that were all like "Yeah, fuck the Taliban" back in the day. Now they're basically alike.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any assurance that they're not racists? Again, it's white, right wing people they're going to deal with.
The sad reality of the situation on the 6th as shitty as it is with the blocking of the National Guard for Hours etc. If the Capital Police had been aggressive there would have been a massacre at the Capital. Certainly far more than 1 officer dead and 1 terrorist.

There were certainly complicit forces that assisted the Terrorists but there were also plenty of Officers who did what they could with zero backup against numbers they had zero way to control.

The Secret Service, National Guard etc. Will be fully deployed and heavily armed. The no cross zones where deadly force will be authorized will also be much further back. These terrorist's will be gunned down long before they can reach the capital this time around if it came to that. The woman who they shot was literally no more than 10 feet away from the rear door of the House Chamber. Which is why they fired so fast. There was no more retreating

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

No one cares about crowd sizes in 2021 except Trump. And he can't even tweet about it.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I dont understand the people here saying "Dont Worry this will be super secure". The Capitol wasnt secured properly either, not even close. I dont have alot of faith in there beeing alot of effort put into the security unless the MAGA terrorists magically turn into black left-wing activists.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Literally everyone was like "Fuck the Taliban.".
But these were the people who were doing next-level-dumb stuff like harassing Sikhs.

I'm aware most people were against the Taliban, but it was more the underlying fact that they were against them, but not against imitation of what they do.

Oh yeah, that attack on the Oak Sihk temple in 2012 was a tragedy and disgusting. They're so stupid that they don't even know who their supposed "enemy" is.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
For those with questions about Biden's inauguration plans, read this article. The New York Times also has an article on the overall plan for a smaller, pared down ceremony with a "virtual parade".

Even the outdoor swearing in ceremony will have fewer attendees than is normal and the Biden team are telling people NOT to travel to DC for the inauguration.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm much more worried about what comes after the inauguration tbh. Not just for Biden either, Kamala, Pelosi, Schumer, the squad, their families... I'd be really scared if I was in their shoes.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont understand the people here saying "Dont Worry this will be super secure". The Capitol wasnt secured properly either, not even close. I dont have alot of faith in there beeing alot of effort put into the security unless the MAGA terrorists magically turn into black left-wing activists.

But they put up a flimsy temporary chain link fence.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A couple dozen cops isn't the secret service, national guard, and military.