• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 21, 2017
What is RiffTrax?

Once upon a time, there was a show that made fun of bad movies called Mystery Science Theater 3000. And then it was cancelled.

Head Writer and Lead Actor at the time, Mike Nelson, decided to sell commentary tracks for movies and sell them. He was eventually joined by his MST3k companions Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett, and together they have delivered on the laughs for years!

Where can I find some?

You can download them directly from https://www.rifftrax.com for the usual price of $10 a movie! Some are sold as commentaries only, so you'd have to find the respective movies separately. Most of their more recent works are VOD, which helps out quite a lot! They also go on sale fairly often!

What are some good ones?

-The Room
-Star Wars Holiday Special
-Twilight, all of them
-Samurai Cop
-The Last Airbender

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Best Hollywood riffs:
Twilight Films

Best On Demand riffs:
The Apple
Santa And The Ice Cream Bunny (Rifftrax Live Version)
Star Wars Holiday Special

Best Shorts:
This Is Hormel
Three Magic Words
Shake Hands With Danger

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what they're going to do about this year's live shows. There's no way they will be able to have them in Nashville this year. I wonder if they'll just do them as a live stream.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im talking gator rap, baby!

Boom chick
Boomboomboom chick

Well I'm a mean motor gator
A rockin roller skater
Try to catch me now
I'll kick your butt later

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It should be noted there's a bunch of free Rifftrax on Tubi and Amazon Prime.

Some of my favorites include the whole Batman Serial series, and Laser Mission among others.

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted there's a bunch of free Rifftrax on Tubi and Amazon Prime.

Some of my favorites include the whole Batman Serial series, and Laser Mission among others.

There's a Pluto-TV channel too. Also LG has a PlutoTV-like channels service built into its regular TV service, and I just leave it set to the Rifftrax channel as background stuff.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Pluto TV has Rifftrax channel that ends up playing a lot of the live shows.

Some more that are good and popular:

Birdemic (maybe the movie is just an overly long ad for a Thai restaurant)
Samurai Cop
Miami Connection
Adventures in Balloonland

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Timely, I watched Rifftrax shorts all day yesterday. The Myths of Shoplifting is my new favorite, along with Drugs Are Like That (with the odious Anita Bryant.)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just found out a few days ago that Rifftrax has a Roku app now that you can access your library from. The only app they had before was for synching the mp3 riffs up to the movies. I hope they port the app over to other devices.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I just found out a few days ago that Rifftrax has a Roku app now that you can access your library from. The only app they had before was for synching the mp3 riffs up to the movies. I hope they port the app over to other devices.
Aww man, I NEED this. I figured maybe they were afraid of the server bandwidth required for a proper streaming service and that's why we havent gotten one yet.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
www.rifftrax.com

It's a Wonderful Life (Special RiffTrax Edit)

Everyone can agree that It’s a Wonderful Life is one of the most famous Christmas movies of all time, nearly on par with Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Spunky the Snowman, and Feeders 2: Slay Bells. We at RiffTrax have known and loved It’s a Wonderful Life for decades: we’ve enjoyed the amazing...

They have a full VOD for It's A Wonderful Life. Apparently it's a special public domain cut that edits out a few things, but it still over an hour and forty minutes.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
www.rifftrax.com

It's a Wonderful Life (Special RiffTrax Edit)

Everyone can agree that It’s a Wonderful Life is one of the most famous Christmas movies of all time, nearly on par with Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Spunky the Snowman, and Feeders 2: Slay Bells. We at RiffTrax have known and loved It’s a Wonderful Life for decades: we’ve enjoyed the amazing...

They have a full VOD for It's A Wonderful Life. Apparently it's a special public domain cut that edits out a few things, but it still over an hour and forty minutes.

I just finished it. I recommend skipping it. They cut the entire sequence where George sees what it would have been like if he was never born. It's a bad edit.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I have loved so many rifftrax since I saw the Mike, Bill and Kevin era of MST3K before Joel (still love the other crews, except the netflix show)

Lord of the Rings trilogy
all the Fast and furious movies.

were some of my favorites.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The Star Wars ones are a bit uneven because some of it came from a time when Mike was still proving the concept could work and Kev and Bill weren't 100% on board yet but they are still a lot of fun.

The Room one is great.

Starship Troopers is great.

Carnival of Souls is awesome.

All the shorts are great but I love Moose Baby, One Got Fat, Shake Hands with Danger and Three Words for Pork the most.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
agreed, basically any long series of blockbusters tend to be my favorites.
I really like The Teen Agers series done by Bridget and Mary Jo. I hope they eventually do all of them.
I especially love the riffing of song from Prisoner.
2:06 into the video

The mudblood bits they do throughout the Chamber of Secrets is really good too. Larry, Don, and The Mudblood got a big laugh out of me when I first heard it. Starts at 1:55:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I really like The Teen Agers series done by Bridget and Mary Jo. I hope they eventually do all of them.

The mudblood bits they do throughout the Chamber of Secrets is really good too. Larry, Don, and The Mudblood got a big laugh out of me when I first heard it. Starts at 1:55:

Harry - Muggle?

"You see Harry, when a group of people are different it helps to come up with a funny sounding word or slur"

Oct 25, 2017
I have loved so many rifftrax since I saw the Mike, Bill and Kevin era of MST3K before Joel (still love the other crews, except the netflix show)

Lord of the Rings trilogy
all the Fast and furious movies.

were some of my favorites.

Every time I rewatch the LOTR trilogy, I find myself quoting various RiffTrax bits along the way.

"Well, I guess it's time to die... give my shield to the dwarf an- FREEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

"All our hopes now lie in two little hobbits... somewhere in the wilderness."/"In other words, HAIL LORD SAURON!"

"Oh wow, he summoned a perfume commercial!"/"Experience the romance. White Linen by S. D. Louiter."

"Look, lady, the pizza guy will ring the door bell!"/"My lords, the pizza is not here yet."

"Yes, elves live for thousands of years, but it's only because everything happens to them in ethereal slow motion. It's a hell no one would choose."/"Oh I don't know, the trade-off might be worth i-"/"Did I mention the eternal Enya soundtrack?"/"HOORAY FOR DEATH!"

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I rewatch the LOTR trilogy, I find myself quoting various RiffTrax bits along the way.
I do this with Ocean's Eleven.

Parole Officer: Mister Ocean, what do you think you would do if you were released?
(jazz music starts)
Mike: I'd imagine some swinging jazz...

Ocean: Benedict's got a long list of enemies.
Rusty: Yeah, but enemies with lots of cash and nothing to lose? Ah... Rueben.
Ocean: Rueben.
Guard: Hey!
Mike: Stop saying Rueben in there!

But my favorite gag of all time is when Rueben opens the door to reveal the crew and Mike and Richard Cheese start badly singing Deck The Halls.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Got the ten dollar Christmas gift email after not getting one last year. But what do I want to get. Heard mixed things about the "It a Wonderful Life" riff that in order for it be a VoD it uses a cut that removed the big 'what would it be like if I wasn't born" scene.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Got the ten dollar Christmas gift email after not getting one last year. But what do I want to get. Heard mixed things about the "It a Wonderful Life" riff that in order for it be a VoD it uses a cut that removed the big 'what would it be like if I wasn't born" scene.
Do you have either the VOD or the Rifftrax Live version of Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Attack from Space is probably my favorite thing they've ever done. It's a crazy, poorly dubbed Japanese movie, that's really reminiscent of Prince of Space or Invasion of the Neptune Men. It's great.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The KIBBLES AND BIIIIITS part of Twilight kills me every time
That, and the "It's me, the bear. I'm evil, been telling you for years" line in Paranormal Activity. Of course, the room and Birdemic are true Kino

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So on amazon prime there is a Rifftrax yule log...very cute. It plays some of the xmas shorts too

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
It's a wonderful life got a bunch of laughs out of me and I don't really think it's that big a deal that the big chunk is missing. It's almost funnier, he meets Clarence, you blink, and he's running down the street a changed man. My wife and I were like wait what happened lol

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Santa's Summer House is a movie I never want to watch again. I bought it when it was released and it took me about three hours to get through it. I had to take breaks every five or ten minutes. It's terrible. Even Rifftrax couldn't save it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Santa's Summer House is a movie I never want to watch again. I bought it when it was released and it took me about three hours to get through it. I had to take breaks every five or ten minutes. It's terrible. Even Rifftrax couldn't save it.

Yeah, I have a separate file for their Christmas stuff, shorts, films, live shows. I have never re-watched that one.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I have a separate file for their Christmas stuff, shorts, films, live shows. I have never re-watched that one.

That is a bit rough due to the source being so awful. I still find it hilarious that the husband is the guy who played the hero in Future War.

Outside of Balloonland and Star Wars Holiday Special, I usually rotate them in on a bi-yearly period. Going mad in balloon land....yay yay.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Another great Christmas short that I would totally buy again separately is that Christmas Tree one they show before the Wizzo movie.

This is the one with the three guys dressed up as non-speaking Christmas Trees. Then they die at the end.

eTZo3jg.jpg

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Another great Christmas short that I would totally buy again separately is that Christmas Tree one they show before the Wizzo movie.

This is the one with the three guys dressed up as non-speaking Christmas Trees. Then they die at the end.

eTZo3jg.jpg

I took to making a separate video file shorts like this and Custard the Dragon. Just so I can watch them at anytime if I want instead of the whole thing. I still have no idea why this short was made by the way but that probably stands to say with ALL the Christmas shorts they did. Santa Spaceship is very bizarre as the Frank Fortamine looking used Rocket salesman was going to turn the reindeer into food before Santa decided to feed them rocket fuel and keep using them over the destroyed spaceship.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Rifftrax just released their version of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonder. It is one of my favorite episodes of MST3K and I hope this version is just as good.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Probably need to buy that one fast, in case there are any surprise rights issues. The MST3k version only aired once, didn't it?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So I bought the new Merlin's Shop Rifftrax. It's good, but I probably still prefer the MST Epsiode. It's one of my favorites. The weird thing is how it uses a completely different cut of the movie. It cuts some scenes out but adds new ones.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
So I bought the new Merlin's Shop Rifftrax. It's good, but I probably still prefer the MST Epsiode. It's one of my favorites. The weird thing is how it uses a completely different cut of the movie. It cuts some scenes out but adds new ones.
Interesting. I think I'll check it out. I was let down by Time Chasers, so my expectations are tempered.