• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Ridley Scott, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck & Nicole Holofcener Huddle On 14th Century Tale ‘The Last Duel’

Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Ben Affleck Huddle On 14th Century Tale 'The Last Duel'

EXCLUSIVE: Here's a major movie that is coming together quickly. I'm hearing that Ridley Scott is going to next direct The Last Duel, a revenge story based on a novel by Eric Jager. The plan is for Matt Damon and Ben Affleck to star in the film. The script is almost done, written by Damon, Affleck and Nicole Holofcener. This is happening quickly and would be the first collaboration on a script between Damon and Affleck to get made since their Oscar winning work on Good Will Hunting.

It's a revenge story of two best friends. Damon and Affleck will play them. The main characters are the Norman knight Jean de Carrouges and the squire Jacques Le Gris. They were friends. One goes to war and returns to accuse Le Gris of raping his wife Margerite de Carrouges. No one will believe the woman, and the soldier appeals to the king of France to undo a decision handed down by Count Pierre d'Anencon, which favored Le Gris. The decision handed down is that the two men fight a duel to the death. The one left alive would be declared the winner as a sign of God's will. And if Jean de Carrouges loses, his wife will be burned at the stake for punishment for her false accusation.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love both Affleck and Damon, sounds amazing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You leave Mark Wahlberg out of this.
the+town.jpg

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's so much to unpack here that I don't even know where to begin. It almost feels like with these two that it would be better served as a comedy or whatever but you can't make a comedy about a woman being raped and possibly executed because nobody believed her.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Here's a major movie that is coming together quickly."

Yeah no shit its R. Scott, it's probably in post production already.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what if Scott's first movie is The Duelist and his last movie is The Last Duel...

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I could never take Matt Damon or Ben Affleck seriously in a role outside of the 20th century or later.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Whatever it takes to distract him from making any more Alien prequels or sequels is cool with me.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
There's so much to unpack here that I don't even know where to begin. It almost feels like with these two that it would be better served as a comedy or whatever but you can't make a comedy about a woman being raped and possibly executed because nobody believed her.

It is a heavy plot but I've never associated Affleck and Damon as a comedic duo. What is making you jump to that reaction? Or are you saying the subject matter would be better as a satire.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The three of them would make a good Count of Monte Cristo i think

I wonder why its called the Last Duel. Its obviously not historically the last one. By the very definition of the act (assuming duel to the death) it is indeed "the last duel" for at least one of the participants, possibly both.

Oh, I bet it'll be some weird turn of phrase where the woman says "... and this is the last duel in my name", huh

Oct 27, 2017
What Affleck and Damon movies have you actually seen before?

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Have you only seen them in that Jay and Silent Bob movie?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Mat Damon and Ben Affleck talking in French accents is certainly going to be amusing.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Affleck has done more than Batman. Damon has done more than Bourne. Lol.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
As long as he is not shitting on Alien and other scifi property like Forever War.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i mean, not a super appropriate story to adapt given the current climate, Ridley...

but it is adapted from, like, an actual event that occurred. as in, it's called The Last Duel because it was the last actual legal duel allowed by the French government, and has been catalogued and written about extensively since it happened (including by a descendant of the dude who lost).

not a really rad time for the flick, and kinda braindead on Scott's part to not really take into account current affairs, all the same.

EDIT: as an aside, i do want to say i love the movie The Duellists and i think im gonna pop it in and remember the good times.