• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This was being done by the Singapore studio right? It could be a case that Namco werent happy with the progress and decided to cancel the project there and move it back in-house, like what Nintendo did with Metroid. If its a switch exclusive then that means Nintendo likely paid for it so I cant imagine it being cancelled completely. Thats what Im hoping anyway :P

I wish I could share your saint-like wishful thinking :(

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading that Ace Combat 7 was in dev hell and almost go cancelled until they add to reboot thing. I guess Ace Combat revival was more of an exception rather than the norm...

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
These are the current kings.

These are great (GREAT) racers, yet I really think that when people think about Ridge Racer they are aiming at a pickup-and-go track based arcade racer in the vein of Ridge Racer, Daytona USA or even Out Run 2.

Pass me the term: more "arcadeish" racers.

For instance, even Mario Kart 8 is more akin to Ridge Racer than the games you selected.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tragedy-luv-lit-rally4vjpc.png

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing of value was lost, after Ridge Rager unbounded i have 0 faith in Namco Bandai making a good RR game, even if they are going to make it internally unlike unbounded.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Namco literally did this to Nintendo back in 1994-1996; where they waged an all out war on them behind the scenes and actively sabotaged them as they switched over to Playstation completely.

It was only thanks to Satoru Iwata doing some behind-the-scenes sweet heart deals that they managed to get Namco back on board with Nintendo platforms.

EA also publically did this to SEGA back with the Dreamcast (which was ultimately one of the big reasons why the console died an early death); and also did the same to Nintendo when the Wii U launched.

This happens a lot more often than you think. We're just not always privy to what goes on outside the public eye. The evidence here speaks for itself.

While Namco are probably not going to abandon Nintendo platforms/Switch entierly, its definitely now getting treated as a 2nd tier platform for the publisher; while they are now pulling support from EPD games too. Something definitely happened behind the scenes (and the public embarrassment of Metroid Prime 4's failure is a black mark on both companies; one that both sides are going to be pretty bitter about).

You need to back up claims with hard evidence as this is just pure speculation without it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Sony or Microsoft got the exclusive to a new Ridge Racer?
Nah, nothing like that.
Find the posts i this thread were i talk with hero of legend so you can see what is about.
Convo starts here:

Sadly no becuase im on NDA. I want that place (the master im talking about, not bandai namco) to burn down, but I dont want bandai namco going after my ass lol (although, by how little they are preocupied of how bad that master is run, im sure they wouldnt do anything if that shit was leaked lol).
Lets say, as im sure im not braking anything saying this, that Ridge Racer was on the cards for an animation project there this year, and was quitely changed for another IP, and students are not so happy (projects are chosen years in adavnced, and older students know about them, funnily not the new students that are paying for the master the year the ip is revealed lol). If this game was canceled (they use this animation projects as free ads basically, as they cost anything to them), it makes sense they changed the animation project this year at the last minute.
I was less happy last year myself when they forced us tamagotchi but thats another story lol

Oct 27, 2017
You know? I would love a remaster of the 3DS game or even the PSP games. Just up the texture quality and upgrade the cars models and I would be satisfied for now.

The 3DS game in particular isn't that bad of a game. Infact it is a great game but the framerate is it's biggest issue.

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
You need to back up claims with hard evidence as this is just pure speculation without it.

Masaya Nakamura, founder of Namco had a big beef with Yamauchi near the start of the 16bit generation because of Nintendo's licensing practices. What more proof do you need than their complete devotion to PS1 back then. He was probably more vocal than even Squaresoft, i remember reading about this in magazines of the time.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Nah, he was the one who found out about Metroid being made with Bamco in the first place among other things. He does LinkedIn snooping

Ahh ok lol. Getting mixed messages here but I remember that LinkedIn leak so I'll go with legit. I would have thought RR8 would be announced by now also.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
None of this shit plays anything like Ridge Racer. I wouldn't even call any of this arcade racing. If drifting isn't a net benefit, you're a failure of an arcade racer.

Yep all that stuff pretty much goes in the opposite direction of ridge racer. A trademark of RR is how loose the cars feel in comparison to those types of games that allows for over the top drifting.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully cancelled to be rebooted for next gen platforms. I wouldn't have been especially interested in a Switch version. I'd really like to see Ridge Racer as a visual spectacle on my PS5.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Soul Calibur looks nice. I think they could take an off the shelf engine and make a pretty looking Ridge Racer game for next gen platforms.
I thought about it and I think you're right. Ace Combat 7 was beautiful on its own right despite not being the most visually impressive game so Ridge Racer could push things further. Bamco has the artists to deliver where they might not technically

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is only surprising if you thought Bandai Namco cares to make anything other than low budget family games on Switch.

The only less surprising move than cancellation would have been for it to resurface on everything but Switch.
They put out God Eater 3, plus all the anime games. Doesn't seem like a fair assessment of their Switch support tbh.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The death of RR, and drift based arcade racers in general on consoles, is really upsetting. Namco still does the Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune games in arcades (most recent one being last year) so they haven't given up on the genre entirely. Same with Sega (AM1) and Sega Wordwide Driver Championship and the Initial D series in arcades. I just wish we could get some of these games at home.

At this point all we really have are mascot kart racers and mobile games.

through Bamco's eye's I can see it as canned.
Oh yeah, I'm just saying there's some wiggle room. I doubt RR8 is still alive though.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a tangent, but as someone who hasn't played any Ridge Racer, which of the games should I check out?

When I first heard about Ridge Racer coming to Switch, I figured that'd be a good opportunity to give the series a try, but alas, it seems that's probably not going to happen.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a tangent, but as someone who hasn't played any Ridge Racer, which of the games should I check out?

When I first heard about Ridge Racer coming to Switch, I figured that'd be a good opportunity to give the series a try, but alas, it seems that's probably not going to happen.
R4 (PS1) is the easiest one to get into and the most popular.

RRV (PS2) is a tad barebones in terms of content but it's my personal favorite when it comes to drifting/driving model.

RR7 (PS3) is the last proper mainline RR game and is jam-packed with tracks, cars, events and customization options. It's a good game although the mechanics aren't entirely to my personal liking, there's too much reliance on nitrous boost for my tastes.

No Ridge Racer game on the PS4 is a little sad.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Don't know why some people think that honeymoon between nintendo and bamco is over ?

We have many clues about good relationship.
Nintendo is top 10 shareholders of banco.
Lastly, on their Web site banco was proud to annonce their participation on arms, mkt, mk8d...
Nintendo on their presentation material pdf spoke about good sales of fishing spirits.
On Last smash bros direct, we saw that sakurai has very good relation with banco staff. (joke about pac man etc...)
Smash bros development continues.

What next after smash bros ?
Pokken 2 is good contender.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

If you can go back to the PS1, Ridge Racer Type 4 is utterly excellent. Purists will dogpile on it but honestly, it is the best game

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That's okay. There's a healthy amount of quality racers across various different platforms, we don't really need Ridge Racer.

There is absolutely NOT a healthy amount of arcade racers across modern platforms. Forza, Drive Club etc are far from arcade racers. Kart racers, again, something different.

I desperately want a new track based Ridge Racer and Burnout.

It really sucks this cancelled. Hopefully they decided on a bigger scale multi platform release instead... Please...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Any of them. Just get whatever one's on your console of choice. Well, unless it's 64/DS or Unbounded.

If I had to pick one I'd probably choose the 2nd PSP game just for the amount of content it packs in.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue that game that comes closest to capturing the vibe and atmosphere of Ridge Racer right now is GT Sport. Make a Custom Race with a fictional track set to an overcast day (for that RR7 mood), pick Vision GTs only, put on some Ridge Racer tunes in the background and drift all the corners.

The Chapparal 2X is basically the Himmel 490B. The Tomahawk is basically the Devil car.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ridge Racer Type 4 is a legitimate classic game, it was reviewing close to Gran Turismo when it came out. It combines the arcade racing of Ridge Racer with a fantastic art style and story mode.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ridge Racer 3DS was actually quite decent. Its the only non mario kart 3DS racing game i liked.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Ridge Racer is just one of those series that I grew up with. I really wish we could get another. RR7 was great, but something along the lines of Type 4 would be my jam