• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They make fun of lore and canon but those episodes are by far the strongest in the series and this season was no exception. It's like they're mad they have to tend to things and can't just make a Sci Fi Family Guy that prints money.

There was a cage built around a certain number of Ricks that included all the universes where he was the smartest. Outside of the cage are universes where he's not. That's what I got.

Yup I get it now but I think it was way too quickly explained in the show.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They make fun of lore and canon but those episodes are by far the strongest in the series and this season was no exception. It's like they're mad they have to tend to things and can't just make a Sci Fi Family Guy that prints money.
This. 1000x times this, theor best episodes all work with the canon or tease stuff, the worst are some nonsense things like the sperm episode, that was terrible

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That was really good!
I find it amusing that they pulled a Loki lol (in a manner of speaking).

I hope this means we see Rick up against other smart beings that can compete with him from the wider multiverse.

Jun 24, 2021
I'm seeing S10E09 and S10E10 on HBO MAX right now as the two latest episodes. Are those the ones that were aired yesterday on [as]? Are those the ones where
Christopher Lloyd
appears?

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck me I love the lore. Excellent couple of episodes, the Damaged Coda remix is an absolute banger. See you in 2 years for another lore-full episode.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people think the writers don't like lore episodes. Rick complains, but Rick isn't the direct voice of authorial intent. He's wrong about a lot of things a lot of times. He hates lore episodes because they almost always turn out shitty for him.

They almost certainly don't want to constantly be doing them, but I don't think they're nearly as bothered as some of you seem to believe.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing pair of episodes honestly and a great end to a very, very solid season. I'm glad they kept a lot of the lore simple instead of turning it into this convoluted and protracted endeavor. Evil Morty explaining what makes a Morty feel "evil" to begin with satisfies me more than any other pet theory I've read for his origins. He's this thematic stand in for all Morty's eventually getting sick of Rick's control issues and growing up in spite of him.

him entering that yellow portal at the end is really the first time canonically ANY Morty achieves true agency and is finally free from the nearly-omnipotent control of Rick.

Great fuckin' show right here. I wonder if the writers view this as a soft reboot for the entire series.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Harmon doesn't like doing lore/canon because fans guess/figure it out and ruin it for him. They put too much stock in surprise.

Dan Harmon: "You cannot write payoff-based TV anymore because the audience is essentially a render farm. They have an unlimited calculation capacity. There's no writers' room that can think more than 20 million people who can think about it for an hour a day."

Some writers on the show are so antagonistic to the concept of fan theories that they will actively try to make sure theories fans come up with are false simply for the sake of it.

Mike McMahan: "The fastest way to make sure your Rick & Morty fan theory is wrong is to tell me about it, because then I'll make sure it never happens. I can't guarantee that I'll have the sway to 100% keep it from happening, but I'll try. I'll try until I'm dead. It's no fun if somebody guesses a secret plot line, I'd rather be surprising than prove someone guessed right. Also: I'm a jerk."

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the show writers hate canon, I think it's just an interesting 4th wall character trait that they gave Rick. And if Rick's canon is that his family is killed and he goes to live a meaningless peon life on the Citadel, then it makes sense why instead he tries to fill his life with episodic randomness instead.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Mike McMahan: "The fastest way to make sure your Rick & Morty fan theory is wrong is to tell me about it, because then I'll make sure it never happens. I can't guarantee that I'll have the sway to 100% keep it from happening, but I'll try. I'll try until I'm dead. It's no fun if somebody guesses a secret plot line, I'd rather be surprising than prove someone guessed right. Also: I'm a jerk."

yikes. this is partly why westworld went down the shitter.

like... just write a good story? if fans are guessing the outcome, it means well done: you wrote characters who people could understand and follow through to a logical conclusion.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Great finale. The possibility of a wilder multiverse where Ricks aren't dominant is a great conceit; the idea of infinity bound to Rick was always a thing that bothered me but to find it was an ego driven cage created by presumably C-137 is very satisfying.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dan Harmon doesn't like doing lore/canon because fans guess/figure it out and ruin it for him. They put too much stock in surprise.

Dan Harmon: "You cannot write payoff-based TV anymore because the audience is essentially a render farm. They have an unlimited calculation capacity. There's no writers' room that can think more than 20 million people who can think about it for an hour a day."

Some writers on the show are so antagonistic to the concept of fan theories that they will actively try to make sure theories fans come up with are false simply for the sake of it.

What a dumb opinion by McMahan, how about you write the story before hand and if people somehow guessed it, it just means you are pretty good in laying the foundation of a story?

It very weird watching an episode where there is a tangible feeling of contempt from the writer/creators that they are giving you what you want.
I don't mind they think like that or even act on it but being told it straight really bother me during the rant.

And after Central Finite Curve, there is no way the fandom treats every random term as a clue lol.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Great finale. The possibility of a wilder multiverse where Ricks aren't dominant is a great conceit; the idea of infinity bound to Rick was always a thing that bothered me but to find it was an ego driven cage created by presumably C-137 is very satisfying.
Yes, it makes sense that Rick conveniently is the most awesome smartest man of the universe because he closed off the possibilities where he isn't. He really is an insecure piece of shit.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
People have mentioned the places outside the curve having people smarter than Rick but when I first heard it I thought of universes where Rick doesn't naturally exist. Guess it could actually be both of those things. Excited to see what happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Would Rick creating the Portal Gun be considered a Bootstrap Paradox?
Rick C-137 was informed of the existence of a Portal Gun by another, who then kills his Diane and Beth. C-137 then makes the Portal Gun. But what about the other Rick?
Or was Rick always on the path to create it?

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would Rick creating the Portal Gun be considered a Bootstrap Paradox?
Rick C-137 was informed of the existence of a Portal Gun by another, who then kills his Diane and Beth. C-137 then makes the Portal Gun. But what about the other Rick?
Or was Rick always on the path to create it?
No if only because it's a different Rick from a different universe, not the same Rick on a different part of the timeline

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a dumb opinion by McMahan, how about you write the story before hand and if people somehow guessed it, it just means you are pretty good in laying the foundation of a story?

Yeah, this is nonsense. What a silly opinion to hold about stories and writing. It's not the destination etc etc etc. and if you want to write a story with a twist or whatever, maybe don't do a serialized show? There are plenty of mediums to tell stories in where a plot twist can work and enhance the story. Limited series, movies, books, etc.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is nonsense. What a silly opinion to hold about stories and writing. It's not the destination etc etc etc. and if you want to write a story with a twist or whatever, maybe don't do a serialized show? There are plenty of mediums to tell stories in where a plot twist can work and enhance the story. Limited series, movies, books, etc.

I think more to the point, if people think about your show and guess the story and discuss it? They are going to ruin it for themselves anyway.

Just write the story you want to tell for people who want to enjoy it and fuck the rest.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't C-137 have memories of when Morty was a baby? Where'd those come from if Rick just a universe where he abandoned Beth and came came years later?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't C-137 have memories of when Morty was a baby? Where'd those come from if Rick just a universe where he abandoned Beth and came came years later?
I'd explain that away as him voyeuristically looking in on other realities where Beth lived and got to grow up and meet Jerry and have kids, during his murderous depression bender. Maybe even popping into one of those realities while its Rick is out and posing as himself to get to meet Morty as a baby

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The finale was amazing.

I think the first episode and the last one are the peaks of this season, with everything in between being a mix of good and bad.

I do understand where the writers are coming from. It must suck the joy of writing and building up a story for years only to have the payoff be spoiled by the internet. I guess that's the world we live in now, but I think as long as the execution is good then most won't mind. Plus the vast majority of the people watching the show don't spend their free time analyzing it to death.

Overall I can't wait to see where it goes next but I just wish we never have an episode as bad as the sperm on again. It makes even the Dragon episode from season 4 look like a masterpiece.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
So the maverick renegade is revealed to have a hidden backstory that ties them directly into the foundation of their society, while said society is revealed to be even more fucked up than we originally knew and was founded on the torture of children.

I'm guessing Dan Harmon must have really liked the last series of Doctor Who, huh? I mean Rick and Morty has always cribbed a lot from Who, but now they're actively riffing on a currently ongoing (and unfinished) storyline from the show.

Or it's a massive coincidence and Harmon is probably pissed Doctor Who beat him to the punch.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Ever since season 3 I've felt that the show was a victim of its own success and the slow-burn serialisation is proof of that. It really feels like they had a vague storyline that could have filled 4-5 seasons, maybe 3 on the low end if the show wasn't too popular. But then the show exploded in popularity, and that storyline had to be retooled to cover 10 seasons.

So if we follow the pattern they've used so far, then we'll pick up with Evil Morty again in season 7, then once more with season 9, then finish the show with season 10? All assuming that Adult Swim actually lets the show end and doesn't just order 70 more episodes after the current order is fulfilled.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts?

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| The Mortyverse of Madness

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| We Can Finally Stop Asking About It

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| It's Canon. All of it.

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| No Way Home

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| The Cinemorty Universe

Rick and Morty S6 |OT| Was The Dipping Sauce Worth It?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Was recovering from All Out... only for this to hit the fan.

Harmon and the others may not like the lore episodes, but it's been the source of their best episodes for the past couple of seasons, especially when it looks like they've been losing their touch with some of the stand-alone episodes. Keeping the show grounded in some sort of consequences from the past is what's going to keep the show fresh going forward.

It felt like the Storyteller episode from season 4 was a diss on that line of thinking and if annoyed me a bit. Some of those ideas could have been great. Hell, I would have loved for them to take a page of Samurai Jack and do an antagonist teamup episode and have it end the same way. It doesn't matter of it's done before or it's cliche because the nature of the show can still make it creative. The idea that the show itself should be above it all has led to some of it's worst episodes like the heist and DnD episodes.

Overall, the ending has me hyped in a way I've never had for this show. Evil Morty may have taken away Ricks' greatest tool and given it to himself. We don't even need to see the payoff to this next season. The ramifications that may happen alone could be enough for season 6.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, it makes sense that Rick conveniently is the most awesome smartest man of the universe because he closed off the possibilities where he isn't. He really is an insecure piece of shit.

Eh, the way it's presented in the string of memories, it makes more sense that he built the cage to protect himself and his family from threats he couldn't handle. Another smarter Rick killed his family and despite his brilliance he was unable to find him and get revenge. He built the Citadel and the cage after he killed off thousands of Ricks and the survivors begged him to stop. As soon as he was done building it he immediately left to find a family to live with. That doesn't sound like an ego trip.

I think more to the point, if people think about your show and guess the story and discuss it? They are going to ruin it for themselves anyway.

Just write the story you want to tell for people who want to enjoy it and fuck the rest.
Fans discussing a show don't ruin it for themselves. Generally the things Harmon and McMahan are afraid of are characteristics of GOOD storytelling. Plots that are ENTIRELY unpredictable can be less satisfying because they have no set-up and can feel like ass-pulls. It's the journey, not the destination; and part of enjoying that journey is discussing it and the destination.

So the maverick renegade is revealed to have a hidden backstory that ties them directly into the foundation of their society, while said society is revealed to be even more fucked up than we originally knew and was founded on the torture of children.

I'm guessing Dan Harmon must have really liked the last series of Doctor Who, huh? I mean Rick and Morty has always cribbed a lot from Who, but now they're actively riffing on a currently ongoing (and unfinished) storyline from the show.

Or it's a massive coincidence and Harmon is probably pissed Doctor Who beat him to the punch.

Well, Rick literally got out a situation this episode with a screwdriver that disables technology just by touching it.

Ever since season 3 I've felt that the show was a victim of its own success and the slow-burn serialisation is proof of that. It really feels like they had a vague storyline that could have filled 4-5 seasons, maybe 3 on the low end if the show wasn't too popular. But then the show exploded in popularity, and that storyline had to be retooled to cover 10 seasons.

So if we follow the pattern they've used so far, then we'll pick up with Evil Morty again in season 7, then once more with season 9, then finish the show with season 10? All assuming that Adult Swim actually lets the show end and doesn't just order 70 more episodes after the current order is fulfilled.

I remember an interview with Harmon or someone from the show where they said they were excited about the plots they were developing but they read fan theories and got upset that fans guessed where the plot was going so they decided to just throw it all in the trash. They have a really flawed outlook on fan theories.

The talking cat will be the next thing fans bug the writers about
His time will come 👀

They explained the cat:

"The cat subplot was an attempt to just have fun," Harmon told Decider. "The cat represents that voice in your head in the writers room that you're overthinking it."

Considering their dislike of fan theories, it was probably a shot at fans telling them to not overthink it and just have fun, as well. But thinking about things can be fun, and having things be unexplained can detract from fun. Different people like different things.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The writers making back to back plot heavy episodes after making fun of the audience for caring about the plot for several seasons:

i-care-ice-t.gif

(Finale was fun though)

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the show writers hate canon, I think it's just an interesting 4th wall character trait that they gave Rick. And if Rick's canon is that his family is killed and he goes to live a meaningless peon life on the Citadel, then it makes sense why instead he tries to fill his life with episodic randomness instead.

Yeah, it's really confusing to me to see people saying the show hates canon when they go out of their way to make sure everything fits with callbacks going back to even the very first season.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Sucks we won't get a follow up to the story line for 3 more years. Next season the canon episodes will be about the galactic government.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The behind the scenes thing at the end made it seem like they genuinely care about the lore and overall plot but:

A. Are afraid of screwing it up in a way that makes fans turn on them.
B. Overdo it and make it impossible to follow for people who aren't super fans.
C. (Not in the BTS but my thoughts previously) Are annoyed about getting bugged about the lore all the time.

The opened universe is interesting but I hope they don't go too crazy with it. The main difference between an open universe and the main universe is that there are more enemies that can challenge Rick, which is fine, but it's also a well that can be ran dry if they go to it too often.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
1, 3, 5, 6, and both episodes of the finale have been the only ones I've really felt like watching more than once, though 8 wasn't bad or anything. Not one of my favorite seasons, but it ended well enough.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The behind the scenes thing at the end made it seem like they genuinely care about the lore and overall plot but:

A. Are afraid of screwing it up in a way that makes fans turn on them.
B. Overdo it and make it impossible to follow for people who aren't super fans.
C. (Not in the BTS but my thoughts previously) Are annoyed about getting bugged about the lore all the time.

The opened universe is interesting but I hope they don't go too crazy with it. The main difference between an open universe and the main universe is that there are more enemies that can challenge Rick, which is fine, but it's also a well that can be ran dry if they go to it too often.
I think they want t do more canon episodes but they don't want them to take over the series, so they keep them under several layers of irony and meta so they can keep doing the fun adventures.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
That middle season stretch of ep 4-7 was pretty bad, but the rest was quite good. I'm glad that the ending seems to hint they might shake up the formula a bit going forward, because I was starting to worry that the show was running out of new ideas.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I got the impression that Weird Rick (the one who murders Diane and Beth) has been outside of the CFC the whole time, and hence why C-137 could never find him.

He could become a new big bad to replace Evil Morty (and honestly I would be happy to never see him again at this point - he won).

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I got the impression that Weird Rick (the one who murders Diane and Beth) has been outside of the CFC the whole time, and hence why C-137 could never find him.

He could become a new big bad to replace Evil Morty (and honestly I would be happy to never see him again at this point - he won).
While i think that rick could be a random asshole who destroyed our rick's life, he definitly could be outside the CFC, where someone else can be the smartest person in the universe. I am curious about all these pre-citadel rick alliances, all of that doesn't need to be in the CFC and maybe that's why he couldn't find the killer. It could be one kind of climax to finally find him, but leaving that behind and moving on is as likley i think.

As for holding off till now for evil morty pay-off, breaking the CFC means there will be universes where someone other than rick can be the smartest, rick can be completly left out of those stories and make a whole different show about evil morty. I can already see the Loki parodies.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Eh, the way it's presented in the string of memories, it makes more sense that he built the cage to protect himself and his family from threats he couldn't handle. Another smarter Rick killed his family and despite his brilliance he was unable to find him and get revenge. He built the Citadel and the cage after he killed off thousands of Ricks and the survivors begged him to stop. As soon as he was done building it he immediately left to find a family to live with. That doesn't sound like an ego trip.

Why would the Central Finite Curve protect C-137 from the smarter Rick? The smarter Rick would very likely be in one of those Rick dominated universes that would live inside the Curve. As for protecting Morty's or their families from other things, that doesn't appear to be the point either given what we see in this episode of entire genocide piles of Morty's being used for re-cloning, as well as the manipulation of timelines to ensure a steady supply of Morty's.

Rick doesn't contradict Evil Morty's reasoning about the Curve either; it's a crib to create and tether Morty's to Ricks in order to serve them. He even implicitly admits it by saying Morty's really are bred for forgiveness when Morty apologises to Evil Morty. That is the Curve's purpose.