• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The episode had some funny ideas and the comedic tension of Morty's secret was great, but I don't know about the final two-thirds after the reveal. Is it just me, or did it feel a bit off?

Like some dialogue bits way overstayed their welcome, the overly self-congratulatory verbal irony, the weird focus on unsatisfying bit characters. It was the first time this show stylistically felt like an episode of Family Guy, and that's nothing even to do with the crassness of the plot.
I legitimately was thinking of Family Guy after I finished the episode, so I 100% agree. First real misfire of the season for me.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Someone left their browser history open when they were running late on a script. This was pretty much all weird fetish shit. Like the dragon episode but more obvious and less crass.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I don't mind the... for lack of a better metaphor, "Family Guy"-ness of the plot, but man, I really hate that they made the President such an unlikeable douche after the episode he was in. I mean, yeah it's the President of the U.S., I get the joke, but I preferred the well meaning doofus from season 2, he was more fun to watch. It's kind of my problem with the show since season 3: it's just not interested in NOT being mean spirited, and that's a problem because the first two seasons hooked me because there was at least SOME likeability going on, now it just feels like every character's a dick with no shades of gray. Show's still funny but it's not quite the same, I guess (I blame Dan Harmon, if Community having the same problem is anything to go by).

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the... for lack of a better metaphor, "Family Guy"-ness of the plot, but man, I really hate that they made the President such an unlikeable douche after the episode he was in. I mean, yeah it's the President of the U.S., I get the joke, but I preferred the well meaning doofus from season 2, he was more fun to watch. It's kind of my problem with the show since season 3: it's just not interested in NOT being mean spirited, and that's a problem because the first two seasons hooked me because there was at least SOME likeability going on, now it just feels like every character's a dick with no shades of gray. Show's still funny but it's not quite the same, I guess (I blame Dan Harmon, if Community having the same problem is anything to go by).

Community sort of mellowed out in season 6, so I don't think it is a state that you cannot come back from, but you are right.

The show walks a fine line between Family Guy and Futurama. More and more it seems to teether toward the former instead of the latter.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, seeing Community and Solar Opposites, I consider Dan Harmon to be the one most likely adding humanity to this show. Roiland always seems the one going for the gross, 'edgy' stuff with Harmon counterbalancing that by making it human and relatable.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Suprised so many people hate the latest episode, I thought it was hilarious. Wouldn't want something that over the top or gross every week but it was interesting watching them embrace the insanity.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was bottom tier episode. Fits alongside the Dragon slut episode. Im all for gross humor but this was just a family guy sketch. The script reeks of "my bad jokes and dialogue are ironic. Im so random, lol"

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The thing that felt off to me was Rick not realizing immediately that something was off based on how weird Morty was acting about the barrel of jizz. Surely he knew that Morty was volunteering at the Horse Hospital and that he's a horny ass who will fuck anything so why would he have let Morty pressure him into not testing it first? I was sure that the episode was another "Vat of Acid" style ep of Rick teaching Morty a lesson, this time about honesty, so at the end when there was no reveal it just left me like WTF.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read a review before I watched, so I was braced for something terrible, but I thought it was pretty funny? Waiting for the Morty reveal to drop, the President, Blazin. The only thing that didn't really land for me was the disrespect shown to Summer and Beth, but I think it was supposed to be a meta joke in an episode about sperm? I dunno, maybe I was just more entertained because I was watching it while working out instead of on the couch like normal. It's happened before for sure.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this episode was better than last week's as nothing fell on its ass as hard as the Planetina romance and there were actual funny jokes

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
The first two episodes of this season were some of the best that Rick and Morty has to offer. The most recent two though are definitely some of the worst.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
The episode was wild. Like the last one, I feel that the ideas were there, it just didn't completely stick the landing.

The only thing that didn't really land for me was the disrespect shown to Summer and Beth.

This was the only thing that was off. Rather than Morty lying to Rick, this should've been about Morty lying to Beth about misusing her equipment and dealing with the escalation of him trying to keep it from her, with Rick (and maybe Summer) knowing the truth and trying to get Morty to tell Beth about it. Then you have Summer dealing with the Scientist guy stealing all of her ideas.

Still decently funny, but had a lot of avenues to smooth this one out.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Sticky being different a reference to something? He had a double tail, I don't know shit about biology

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I was not a fan of this one at all, it felt incredibly rushed from start to finish. There were a few good gags but basically once the giant sperm showed up it was downhill from there.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
We are 100% going to see the giant space offspring of Morty and Summer come back.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
That was really great episode, this season has been killing it so far. Laughed throughout the whole thing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I liked it but it was the weakest of the season (and the rest of the season has been great). The Chuds elevated it, though, to a brief place of blissful insanity.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough, I was catching up my gf on s4, and we watched the slut dragon episode and this one back to back.

Honestly, it's like night and day. Slut dragons had no coherent plot or idea; this one at least revolved around Morty's lie and touched on the topic of gender inequality. The only mark I'd take off of the episode was not really giving the women a pivotal decision to really make; I don't think deciding to ride some sperm and fight really counts.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Sperm aside, the episode was sharp on the social commentary. And Jerry happily playing the part of the male version of coffee girl was amusing.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sperm aside, the episode was sharp on the social commentary. And Jerry happily playing the part of the male version of coffee girl was amusing.
maxresdefault.jpg

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't hate the episode but it was likely the weakest of the season so far. Some of the isolated jokes and gags were good but overall it felt kinda disconnected overall. The flow was kinda nonexistent which I think contributes to that Family Guy sketch-collection vibe some people got from it. Not a bad episode by any means but it lacked that arching and strong thematic angle other episodes had.

Weirdly enough my biggest criticism is that they're kinda making Mr. President into a bit of a dick. He was sort of a goofball in previous seasons but in this one he had some real Trumpian energy to him. Probably projection on my part but it read kind of weird to me.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's the weakest of the season but it's not Slut dragon episode which i remember being a lot more one note than this

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do people remember the season 3 finale? The President being an insecure asshole was kind of the whole premise. He's a hilarious character though. He felt pretty on brand in this episode to me.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
That was honestly kinda terrible. The last three episodes have been so strong, but I would rank this as one of the worst episodes in the series.

Ignoring the whole incest aspect, it didn't even feel like a Rick and Morty episode. Something about the tone was off with almost everything, and Rick in particular was extremely out of character. Jerry pouring water was the only truly good part IMO.

I'm disappointed to hear
the incest baby returns in episode 7. Would rather forget this whole episode exists tbh

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I think "Family Guy" is a great way to describe this episode. Almost everything about it seemed off to me.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I enjoyed once everything was revealed, in the middle of what was going on, Rick still needed to know "How was it?"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best part about the slut dragon episode being so weak is that it keeps giving people an excuse to say slut dragon

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't hate the episode but it was likely the weakest of the season so far. Some of the isolated jokes and gags were good but overall it felt kinda disconnected overall. The flow was kinda nonexistent which I think contributes to that Family Guy sketch-collection vibe some people got from it. Not a bad episode by any means but it lacked that arching and strong thematic angle other episodes had.

Weirdly enough my biggest criticism is that they're kinda making Mr. President into a bit of a dick. He was sort of a goofball in previous seasons but in this one he had some real Trumpian energy to him. Probably projection on my part but it read kind of weird to me.
?

The President started a huge feud with Rick that got so bad that Rick was forced to concede and pretend to swap dimensions with another Rick just because he refused to give Morty an autograph.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, seeing Community and Solar Opposites, I consider Dan Harmon to be the one most likely adding humanity to this show. Roiland always seems the one going for the gross, 'edgy' stuff with Harmon counterbalancing that by making it human and relatable.

Also, the previous episode showed alot humanity and sympathy towards Morty and his relationship and breakup with Planetina playing it pretty straight without any snark or sarcasm.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
?

The President started a huge feud with Rick that got so bad that Rick was forced to concede and pretend to swap dimensions with another Rick just because he refused to give Morty an autograph.
You're correct, it's been some time since I saw those episodes and kinda glossed over that upon watching this. That's on me.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that the episode was top-tier Rick and Morty, but I enjoyed it, probably more than the first one of the season. So far there have been no bad episodes for me this season.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
?

I was thinking the same thing. The relationship between the president and Rick soured drastically in season 4?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the episode, but it didn't feel like an episode of Rick and Morty. People keep saying it felt like Family Guy, but I think it felt more like early South Park. Edit: Specifically, the giant sperm seems like something you might have seen in early South Park episodes.

Also, I was unaware that people didn't like the Slut Dragon episode. That one felt off as well, but it felt more like an experimental R&M episode than a different show altogether.