• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I loved this premiere, and the second mortgage took the first guy through the portal, I knew what was up. I had to pause and I looked at my brother in horror.

I did really love how fluid the animation was for Mr Nymbus. He was always moving around or doing something, which is insane to see in 2D animated show.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
They didn't show her much but I liked Summer's role of being the dependable person to go and go the underwater mission.

Summer is just awesome. She's always on the ball and I love her sarcastic attitude. My favorite character. I wish they'd use her more than they do, but maybe that adds to it because it's such a welcome treat when she does show up.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been fun watching Rick go from invincible and way to OP. To regularly getting his ass kicked.

The writers really seem to understand how shows run their course, and what can get stale and make moves to avoid it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Really curious how they work with Jessica going forward. It seems like a big enough thing they'll have to acknowledge it next time she shows up.

Also, loved that Mr. Nimbus was genuinely threatening when push came to shove. Like, apparently he can control the oceans on 'any' planet AND teleport sealife while there?
I bet he controlled their police too

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I really liked this episode!

One of the titles for another episode this season has Evangelion in the name....that's gonna be a wild ride lol.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this premiere, and the second mortgage took the first guy through the portal, I knew what was up. I had to pause and I looked at my brother in horror.

I did really love how fluid the animation was for Mr Nymbus. He was always moving around or doing something, which is insane to see in 2D animated show.
I loved how the dark sorcerer dog had a whole speech prepared about how their existence was a lie and then Morty showed up and he was like "OH SHIT I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG!"

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. What the fuck is Rick turning Morty into..a much less smart version of his current self? Its even more apparent now than before. At least he'll have more confidence, but he straight up didn't get a child hood and his adolescence is fucked too, not to mention the collateral damage with Jessica...eesh. This is gonna get messy in a way that even Rick cant fix.
Morty reminded me of a Jesse Pinkman to Rick's Walter White; taking his naivete and calcifying it into pure bitter cynicism.

It was kind of interesting to see Rick as regretful to Morty when he thought they were going to die in the cold open and then his reaction when Morty was calling for help despite Nimbus getting ready to declare war since their treaty signing when bad. It shows that Rick does care about Morty.

There are flashes of interesting character stuff that will be cool to see where they go with it.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Morty reminded me of a Jesse Pinkman to Rick's Walter White; taking his naivete and calcifying it into pure bitter cynicism.

It was kind of interesting to see Rick as regretful to Morty when he thought they were going to die in the cold open and then his reaction when Morty was calling for help despite Nimbus getting ready to declare war since their treaty signing when bad. It shows that Rick does care about Morty.

There are flashes of interesting character stuff that will be cool to see where they go with it.
We know Rick cares about Morty because he used that to beat his toxic self

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That was a really good episode. It had all the things that the best episodes have: compelling sci-fi hook, outlandish memorable side characters, family side plot (some people don't like these but they're the only things providing the necessary straight man context for the bizarre happenings), light world building, and smart callbacks ("why is every old guy so jacked?!" lmao).

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
You know the more I think about it, Morty sort of needs to be the heart of the show. Pure nihilistic cynicism from both leads isn't super appealing.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they ever give us the real Rick backstory, so interesting to hear what Nimbus said

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the funny Rick rant we usually see at the end of episode ones. Szechwan sauce is back Morty! This time at Wen, er, Mortys! Hundred years of fast food product partnership Morty, blech~

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Really strong opening. The increasing escalation of the Narnia plot was great

"Do you see this whisper-kitchen-Frasier-bullshit you're making me do?"

Last edited:

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Excellent rewatch episode. There is always so much to keep up with on first viewing. Really appreciated it being able to just enjoy the plot.

The writers/creators are still on the top of their game.Doesn't look like this will be the season where the show loses its touch.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good premiere, I feel like I've seen all of this stuff before but it still made me laugh all the same

Mr. Nimbus in particular was hilarious ("He controls the police!") 😂

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
It's really cool to have a western animated show flex their animation budget onscreen. R&M is a gorgeous show, and when they get sci-fi, they go full ass sci-fi in the animation dept.

Mar 21, 2018
Really good episode with my only real complaint being that the 'threesome' b-plot didn't really add much and the initial "sex-positive" joke was funnier as a one-off.

Also, am I missing something with the whole "duh, he controls the police" bit? is it a reference to something?

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed this more than all of season 4; hope this bodes well for the quality of the remaining episodes.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Aquaman could teleport sea animals and just started dropping whales on criminals.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really good episode with my only real complaint being that the 'threesome' b-plot didn't really add much and the initial "sex-positive" joke was funnier as a one-off.

Also, am I missing something with the whole "duh, he controls the police" bit? is it a reference to something?
My general takeaway from the episode as well. I think the "he controls the police" bit is more random/meta - like us viewers should have already known this, like we're Summer/Jerry or something. That's how I understood it anyways.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
My general takeaway from the episode as well. I think the "he controls the police" bit is more random/meta - like us viewers should have already known this, like we're Summer/Jerry or something. That's how I understood it anyways.
Yeah he's Rick's nemesis of course Rick thinks everyone should have known what his powers are.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
This is a return to form, I think. Rick got his much-needed nerfing, Morty was relatable, we didn't get overly meta, and we had a really cool scifi concept played for laughs. Here's hoping the rest of the season can follow through.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the implication that Time God Jessica is open to potentially pursuing things in the future?

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Everyone wondering where Rick's rant was made me realize they did it as a running gag (because the first episode of Season 2 didn't have one so it didn't register to me as something to expect)

I liked this one. I do think the show is starting to show its cracks a bit ("society that has a specific gimmick that ends up being trivialized or ruined by the presence of Rick and/or Morty" feels like a gag that they've done a few too many times at this point) but this felt more... fun than some of season 4, so I'm optimistic about the rest of the season.

Also thank god they've seemingly moved past making jokes about "having classic adventures" and they're just having them without getting meta about it lmao aside from the "don't establish continuity" joke it felt like the episode was actually trying to just be an episode of the show, which felt like a rarity last round

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to the premiere, great episode. Too early to tell but it's making me optimistic for the season being really good. I hope Nimbus is a reoccuring character lmao.
Is the implication that Time God Jessica is open to potentially pursuing things in the future?
That's the impression I got.