• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love that snake jazz beat!

HUmnMKf.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This episode moved super fast for me and will likely rewatch but I somehow missed the jump from the replacement snake making it back to snake world to the invasion. The snakes realize there's more to the universe than their own world and try to take over?
Think about what humanity may do if an unidentified flying object came and left another human who was similar but different than us who was kept in captivity with another species? It's shown a bit in the episode the Earth snake speaks a different language than them, but they decode it and communicate with it. And that snake probably has some tales being kept in a pet store, brought by a child human into a space suit, sent through space and ejected to that planet.

They make some social commentary jokes about how this is in the Snake Year 2256 or so, and the world has become so divided and hateful that they're going to destroy themselves, they've reached their peak and won't progress because they want bloodshed, power and destruction. But with this discovery they have a new force to unify and focus their hate towards (though other snakes want to protect them so there's a further civil war going on hinted as well).

Also it's a Terminator/Time Travel story parody, because as we find out the "modern" snakes didn't invent a time machine, they just started to. but because the snakes were en route to build a time machine they could start time travelling back in time already because it was made, and this lead to soldiers from the future going back to the past to cause bullshit... And then the rest of the episode goes on to mock time travel p lots because they become too convoluted and messy.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This episode moved super fast for me and will likely rewatch but I somehow missed the jump from the replacement snake making it back to snake world to the invasion. The snakes realize there's more to the universe than their own world and try to take over?

Also, Jerry's call to Beth going straight to voicemail because she doesn't have his number on her phone...oof.
Think about what humanity may do if an unidentified flying object came and left another human who was similar but different than us who was kept in captivity with another species? It's shown a bit in the episode the Earth snake speaks a different language than them, but they decode it and communicate with it. And that snake probably has some tales being kept in a pet store, brought by a child human into a space suit, sent through space and ejected to that planet.

They make some social commentary jokes about how this is in the Snake Year 2256 or so, and the world has become so divided and hateful that they're going to destroy themselves, they've reached their peak and won't progress because they want bloodshed, power and destruction. But with this discovery they have a new force to unify and focus their hate towards (though other snakes want to protect them so there's a further civil war going on hinted as well).

Also it's a Terminator/Time Travel story parody, because as we find out the "modern" snakes didn't invent a time machine, they just started to. but because the snakes were en route to build a time machine they could start time travelling back in time already because it was made, and this lead to soldiers from the future going back to the past to cause bullshit... And then the rest of the episode goes on to mock time travel p lots because they become too convoluted and messy.
Yeah pretty much.

The snakes were supposed to destroy themselves in a snake-based race war because Morty killed their snake space envoy. By replacing it with an earth snake, who they figure out how to communicate with, they learn that there are other threats in the universe and up their technology, starting development on snake time travel AND snake skynet.

So in like 2026, the snakes finish time travel and snake skynet gets activated and destroys the world, but the children of the snake that Morty sent form the snake resistance, so snake skynet sends snake terminators back in time to present day terminate Morty, hence Snake Kyle Reese being sent to protect him. Then the snakes send even MORE snake terminators who get stopped by the snake terminator covered in human skin that the snake resistance sent.

Rick realizes that the only way to stop this is to destroy the snake society with time travel before Morty got involved, so they travel to the snake pentagon (currently under siege by snake terminators sent to kill the snake that Morty sent because killing Morty didn't work out) and invent snake time travel, then throw it back into the snake 80s so it gets invented before Morty gets involved. As a result, snakes go back in time to kill snake hitler, but nazi snakes go back to stop them, along with snake terminators who go back to make sure that killing snake hitler doesn't change the timeline for snake skynet, and it creates a never-ending loop of snakes going back stop other snakes from either changing the timeline or keeping it the same.

And Jerry originally dies because he can't hang onto the plane, so at some point in one of the snake futures, the snakes send the most advanced snake we see back to save Jerry, and it inadvertently does by crashing the plane. We don't know WHY saving Jerry was important.

We're seeing ALL of that happen simultaneously. We're seeing the plot of Terminator 1 happen like it did in Terminator Genisys without the context of ANY of the other films. Imagine if in the first Terminator there was an old man Arnold already waiting for young Arnold and Sarah Connor was already a badass and a T-1000 arrives to kill Kyle Reese and John Connor is a robot, but you didn't know what any of that shit was because it was the first terminator but we're seeing it in real time. The effect of every subsequent Terminator film affecting the first happening in real time

Last edited:

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
If this is the level the show stays at for the rest of this season I might just drop it. Or at least I'll wait until the full season is up on streaming services. Mediocre Rick and Morty is just so goddamn mediocre.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
yea this show got dumb. It was fun while it lasted.

Justin Roiland is better at improv and I miss the burps.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was a lot more fun that the previous couple of eps. Stepped up on the crazy rather than just saying it was crazy

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought the whole episode was gonna be an Arrival parody, but they smoothly moved into Terminator. Good shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering where I heard "Snake Jazz" before. Then I remembered the beginning of this Dark Simpsons video (slightly NSFW)

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
yea this show got dumb. It was fun while it lasted.

Justin Roiland is better at improv and I miss the burps.
You're like the opposite of the consensus. I remember season 1 where fans said the show was amazing but Rick's constant burping was annoying and hurting the show. They got rid of that and almost everyone is glad for it. I mean it's all subjective whether or not someone thinks the writing has gotten better/worse/stagnant over the past 3 seasons but it makes your take interesting when you say you miss the burps.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
While there were a few missteps I enjoyed the half of a season we got. I'm always glad for more Rick and Morty. Just sucks that they're spreading it out with only 5 episodes. I'll lament the lack of enough harder hitting moments but I'm still laughing through a lot of the show.

Oct 27, 2017
Are the meatball time cop things supposed to be a reference to Stephen King's Langoliers, which are creatures eat expired time and are similarly like big meatballs with buzzsaw teeth?

It's a *burp* hiatus, Morty!
OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The series will return next year. It's not canceled. Prior to season 4 they got renewed for 70 episodes. If they're all 10 episodes that's about 7 seasons.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, is the first half of the season already over????
That was so short and had practically zero plot.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
You're like the opposite of the consensus. I remember season 1 where fans said the show was amazing but Rick's constant burping was annoying and hurting the show. They got rid of that and almost everyone is glad for it. I mean it's all subjective whether or not someone thinks the writing has gotten better/worse/stagnant over the past 3 seasons but it makes your take interesting when you say you miss the burps.

Miss the burps too.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the only time the burps were really funny is when they went to the planet ruled by the evolved women and, after being cleared of their crime of farting, while Rick is belittling them all, he's constantly belching in front of them, haha.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think season 4 has overall been one of the weaker seasons. But I am finding that it's growing on me.

Episode 5 is awesome, and I love that there's these intricate sequences where everything is shown instead of explained.

Hoping the rest of the season is closer to episode 5.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think season 4 has overall been one of the weaker seasons. But I am finding that it's growing on me.

Episode 5 is awesome, and I love that there's these intricate sequences where everything is shown instead of explained.

Hoping the rest of the season is closer to episode 5.
Generally I do feel like this first half of the season is weaker than previous seasons as well, but I still enjoy it and I think you nail one area this season does have above other seasons. The actual visuals of the show have seen a huge upgrade, there's a lot of actually pretty good visual gags and more use of visual storytelling, and there's sequences you can tell the animation team got busy with putting more than usual detail into, three examples off the top being the "Akira" moment in the first episode, the "planet heist" moment in the third episode, and the various snake battles in the fifth episode. The one area I think that has seen a big improvement this season is the visual side with a lot more being done with the animation now and it obviously having a bigger budget.

That's not to say this half a season is terrible, and I think I'm more okay with certain episodes after sitting with them for a while, but I do think this first half of the season is overall weaker in my opinion. Not terrible, and I wouldn't even call it bad, Hell there's some moments that are actually pretty great and I do think a couple episodes in the first half are even great, but I do feel this stretch of episodes is overall the weakest the show has been so far.

Still going to watch the second half of the season and see how they bring it together.

Oct 25, 2017

While we wait for Season 4 to resume, here's the Pringles commercial that will be playing during the Super Bowl this Sunday.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Bump yes, but it's somewhat new R&M content to consume until the rest of this season comes out... R&M pinball, with full voicework by Roiland. Super impressive from a pinball perspective, and as an R&M fan too.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That pinball machine looks great! Hopefully the local barcade gets it in. There's a good chance they will.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How has the 2nd half of the season date not been announced yet?

I'm not a marketing person, but feels like a lot of momentum and interest has been zapped at this point. Football is over, at least give us a date. it's gotta be soon, right?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
y'all think we get an evil morty update this season?

If they continue with the S4 format, no. Seems they stopped giving a shit about any sort of recurring storylines or themes.

Hoping they realized halfway that it wasn't as good as the first 3 seasons and they just shoved all those episodes out, taking more time on the back half.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That pinball machine looks great! Hopefully the local barcade gets it in. There's a good chance they will.
I'd guess most locations that want it would probably get it, but it is restricted to 500 units and they literally all sold out in under 4 hours. Which I think is some kind of record, for pinball machines at least.

Thank god I know at least one person in Australia getting one, hopefully they'll sell it to me when they get sick of it and maybe I'll have money by then.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'd guess most locations that want it would probably get it, but it is restricted to 500 units and they literally all sold out in under 4 hours. Which I think is some kind of record, for pinball machines at least.

Thank god I know at least one person in Australia getting one, hopefully they'll sell it to me when they get sick of it and maybe I'll have money by then.

Damn, didn't realise it was so limited! The place I'm talking about is Netherworld in Brisbane... Blows my mind that my shitty city has managed to support a very successful barcade with great machines and beers. Gives me hope for humanity.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, didn't realise it was so limited! The place I'm talking about is Netherworld in Brisbane... Blows my mind that my shitty city has managed to support a very successful barcade with great machines and beers. Gives me hope for humanity.
Oh, they'll most certainly be getting one. Jimmy is switched on, if he's not getting one at launch he'll line up a second hand one eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
y'all think we get an evil morty update this season?

I hope so. I like that they're seeding this story in the background and setting this character up for mysterious reasons. I think he's only been in 2 episodes so far? But they've both been really good episodes, and I like recurring antagonists - especially if they can be an intellectual or strategic match for Rick.

Oct 25, 2017

While we wait for more Season 4, this short aired on Toonami last night. Produced by Studio Deen.
Fun fact: Those are the official Japanese dub actors for Rick & Morty.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
How the fuck did Studio DEEN make this? They aren´t the worst but close enough.

S&S is an incredibly accurate adaptation of the Lone Wolf and Cub manga/films. The only thing missing was the crippling sexism to hit all marks. How the Ricky and Marty anime sounds like:

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the trailer for Justin Roiland's upcoming Hulu show Solar Opposites, which looks a lot like Rick and Morty: