• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget last man standing is like, peak conservative comedy, which is to say not funny at all

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
The dragon who fucks wooly mammoths and sounds just like Morty got the biggest laugh out of me for whatever reason, on paper it sounds so stupid but I can't lie I was laughing hysterically when he and 'shadowjacker' crawled out of their holes, and then again when the shellshocked wooly mammoth was seen as a member of the 'slut slut phoenix dragon slut'
And then how they followed it right up with all the dragons yelling at him "Shut up, Michael! Shut up!!!"
Just really made me LOL.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
The dragon who fucks wooly mammoths and sounds just like Morty got the biggest laugh out of me for whatever reason, on paper it sounds so stupid but I can't lie I was laughing hysterically when he and 'shadowjacker' crawled out of their holes, and then again when the shellshocked wooly mammoth was seen as a member of the 'slut slut phoenix dragon slut'

Yeah, this was the only part of the episode I got a good laugh out of.

The way the conversation progressed and the reveal of the infighting of the group because they think each other's sexual kinks are gross was just great.

That being said, aside from that bit and the final scene from the toilet episode, this has been a pretty ho-hum season. Still entertaining, but nothing hilarious.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah this season has been a massive disappointment.

I agree, and it looks like a lot of people do too. Every episode after the premiere has gotten the lowest ratings of the show since Season 1.

That giant wait between seasons obvious didn't do any favors for the writing, and I dread the upcoming mid-season hiatus.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
trash season. shoulda stayed in hibernation for another year. i almost dont even wanna watch whatever comes next if its to this quality.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
First episode I'ver ever fallen asleep watching, and I'm loving this season so far. It was just so... boring with no real hook. Neither plot really went anywhere. The humor was literally just "tehehe horny dragons". Meh.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is episode 4 worth finish watching, I turned it off after the 6th slut-shaming joke.
Probably the best part of the episode is the last 2-3 minutes of the episode when Rick and Jerry are together, but if it's worth it is a bit more up to you as it's not really like an amazing mind bending thing either, just an interesting character moment and/or gag.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the best part of the episode is the last 2-3 minutes of the episode when Rick and Jerry are together, but if it's worth it is a bit more up to you as it's not really like an amazing mind bending thing either, just an interesting character moment and/or gag.

Even then, it's a pretty weak close to the scenario. Feels like they were just like, "Let's make some garfield jokes" and got bored with the concept halfway through.

This season has been pretty dire.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah the last episode got weird really fast but it was 1000 times better than ep 3.
Also, the Future Mask Off sequence was one of the more random uses of licensed music i've ever seen lol

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I laughed with the "maybe we shouldn't tell your parents about this" that Rick says while turning into the phoenix.

Still, i feel the second episode was the strongest one. Watching Rick defeated in the end, on that toilet, was a really powerful scene... that's the R&M i enjoy the most.

As someone said, some of these episodes have been like mediocre south park tier.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest problem with this season is that somewhere along the line of episode scripting and creation, they changed Rick from a toxic existence who thrives only on self-satisfaction, ego and pride and instead made him a super-intelligent grumongeonly old man who just wants to be left alone. Like, the whole point of the Unity episode is that Rick has friends, he likes other people, he likes to have fun, but he literally destroys everyone around him because he doesn't care about them in the end. He wants to have fun and fuck everyone else. This season, all he's done is complain about the idea of having to be around other people and it seems so out of character. Rick almost seemed like a return to form with the dragon bonding at the beginning of the episode, but they abandon that to have a bunch of limp jokes about people who are and aren't prudish towards sexual encounters.

Like, the whole episode with the toilet seems to purposely ignore everything that came before it, and it just makes everything feel strange as if they're going out of their way to show you how internally sad Rick is by breaking their own rules.

And then all the b-plots are bad or dull. Summer is now inexplicably dumb as well...

Feels like it's all falling apart.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Sheesh, I have to echo what others have said, I think their writing experiment has been a disaster thus far. I liked the first episode and they can't all be winners, ut that's been 3 duds in a row and that's troubling since they all had similar issues - weak, unfocused, undeveloped plots and overly nonsensical random humor. Rick & Morty had always been abstract but it managed to do more with it's humor.

I admit I made a similar connection as @NHarmonic did, it reminded me specifically of 6 days to air, a documentary about south park, where during their writing process they would throw ideas that were really funny for them, but really unfunny otherwise. Sort of, you-had-to-be-there issue. This seems similar, R&M is full improv nowadays and I don't think it works in this format. Moreover, SP is made on the insane 6-days per episode schedule, R&M's undercooked ideas can't be defended via same reasoning.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This season makes me question why I ever liked this show in the first place, but I remember past seasons weren't as unfunny, low stakes, aimless, and had lack of character development as this. Season 2 was full of devastating moments. There are fleeting moments where the emotion and plot come together, like with the end of the toilet episode, which remind me this show can be a lot better and meaningful. It sees like the writers have drunk the kool aid for just wanting mindless adventures with shallow ad lib concepts, almost giving up on the family dynamic and character arcs. This show is at its best when the writing is aware, criticises Rick's selfishness and gives him a chance to be better. Rick and Bojack Horseman are both self-destructive characters but while the latter show examines and matures the characters, the former is just spinning its escapist wheels in the hopes to be renewed for several more seasons.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
catching up

I enjoyed the first two episodes despite myself.

Just finished episode 3 and so far i think this is one of the worst and laziest episodes of the entire series.

not looking to good episode 4

Elon Tusk was legit cringe

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 had was maybe a 50/50 hit rate, but this is just... a different sort of show. It's not, like, totally awful. But it's inessential. It's like "oh, I totally don't have to watch this anymore. Alright."

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm really enjoying Season 4. I thought Season 3 was much weaker than seasons 1 and 2 for the most part (with a few standout episodes here and there) while I think season 4 has mostly been back up near season 1 and 2 quality (the heist episode I thought was lower quality than the rest).

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 had was maybe a 50/50 hit rate, but this is just... a different sort of show. It's not, like, totally awful. But it's inessential. It's like "oh, I totally don't have to watch this anymore. Alright."
Thats how i feel aswell. Im gonna finish this season and then will probably never watch it again.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
Never really got the hype of this show watching S1 and S2, they were just OK.

S3 was amazing, genius even.

S4 seems to have gone back to the standard of the first two seasons for me. That heist episode was atrocious.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm the only person on the planet who liked Episode 3. But I also liked the Vindicators, and that's a somewhat poorly received episode as well.

Episodes 2 and 4, though, were VERY weak. Show seems to be drunk on itself, and it tries to be wild with no real structure or framework for why anything happens.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm the only person on the planet who liked Episode 3. But I also liked the Vindicators, and that's a somewhat poorly received episode as well.

Episodes 2 and 4, though, were VERY weak. Show seems to be drunk on itself, and it tries to be wild with no real structure or framework for why anything happens.
fwiw, it was easily my favourite of the season so far (not a super high standard, but it is what it is)

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I recently rewatched seasons 1 to 3 and I really enjoyed the vindicators episode, Rick setting up a Saw trap for a bunch of assholes while blackout drunk was hilarious and the way the whole thing escalates was really entertaining
"Are you really SAWing the Vindicators Rick?"
My only complaint with the episode is that it is more mean spirited than usual in the Rick/Morty dynamic

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well then... Racist Time Traveling Robot Snakes.

Does Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland use a random plot generator or...?

edit:

Ah Snake Terminator

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought this one was a great return to form. Hope they stay this quality and that our Interdimensional TV and Evil Morty episodes are as good as before.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this was the most memorable out of the five episodes. Personally, I still remember the heist one. Sadly, every other episode this season was forgettable.