• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Parodying "not allowing women into conversations" by not allowing women into conversations and ending the episode by repeatedly telling them they ruined the premiere is some weapons grade Poe's Law action.

Having women on staff is diversity. It's not necessarily inclusion or equity, and it's not a shield against criticism of the show.
I thought they were yelling at her because she was talking about incest fantasies beteeen Rick and Morty?

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I only watched it once. But wasn't it revealed thatSummer was actually making fun of them and that's more why that they got all nasty on her?
They got nasty at her because she was "being disgusting". It was a meta joke about the origins of the show (Mharti spent most of his time sucking Doc's balls during their adventures) mixed with the unexpected hypocrisy of Rick getting grossed out and indignant towards Summer's incest joke after how much gore and body horror and such he saw/experienced/ate earlier this episode. All of which got to sit under the shade of the bountiful parasol that is "telling a woman to shut up, and get out, and she ruined the whole episode because she tried to participate in the boys' space".

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah that's a fair point. It might be intended meta commentary but when you look at it hard it sort of falls flat.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
But outside of the obvious commentary, it also makes sense in-universe as this is likely stemmed from Evil Morty also taking over the Citadel last season.
Evil Morty doesn't strike me as the fascist type. A despot and autocrat to be sure, but there are many ways to exercise tyrannical rule outside of fascism. Evil Morty's regime seems far too unregimented and Rick-tolerant to be fascist.

Granted, that could always change

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode was hilarious, and a good reminder of why I liked the show to begin with.

Yeah that's a fair point. It might be intended meta commentary but when you look at it hard it sort of falls flat.

Yea I have to agree that people are more likely to take the wrong message regarding them telling Summer to gtfo. I mean I laughed and all, but yea.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can Wasp Rick be our Rick's go to favorite alternate Rick and they go do buddy buddy stuff every now and again.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. She comes in talking about Rick n Morty sucking each other off and what not, so they tell her she's gross and to gtfo.
i think that was a nod to the first 'Doc and Mharti' short and their reaction was supposed to be ironic. either that or it's kind of an un-self-aware gag

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And that is all they are supposed to be. This isn't hard sci-fi, it's a comedy show with sci-fi tropes and dressings.

If this was Star Trek trying to pull the same gag, I'd question it a bit more. But if the Orville did it, I'd just roll with it like I do with Rick and Morty.

I mean this is a show that started as a crude ass parody of Doc Brown and Marty, with "You'll have to lick my balls" being the punch line to most jokes.
No disagreements with pretty much everything you just said.

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
That was a completely incoherent mess. Utterly dire.

It was literally just family guy, 20m of random barely connected jokes. The meta stuff was particularly cringey. Yikes.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They got nasty at her because she was "being disgusting". It was a meta joke about the origins of the show (Mharti spent most of his time sucking Doc's balls during their adventures) mixed with the unexpected hypocrisy of Rick getting grossed out and indignant towards Summer's incest joke after how much gore and body horror and such he saw/experienced/ate earlier this episode. All of which got to sit under the shade of the bountiful parasol that is "telling a woman to shut up, and get out, and she ruined the whole episode because she tried to participate in the boys' space".
It was a combination of that and a callback to Morty's Mindblowers where they go off on her because they're ignorant of what she actually did. The holo Rick thing was an episode long "fuck you got mine" joke

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, incoherent. It was meandering and stupid. It didn't really come together into anything more than a series of jokes.
It seemed pretty coherent. Morty was following a series of seemingly random actions in order to produce a specific outcome while Rick was jumping realities trying to get back to his own body

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
After watching it, I came across this: https://www.inverse.com/article/476...n-4-to-have-new-writing-style-dan-harmon-says

And it's pretty clear that the jokes came first in this episode which is a pretty bad way to write tv. Jokes are funnier/fresher when they come from the context of the situations, not the reverse.

The inter-dimensional cable episodes worked with similar structures because THAT was the point of those episodes. Having a season of inter-dimensional cable episodes would be really tedious, so hopefully this is a blip?

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
No, incoherent. It was meandering and stupid. It didn't really come together into anything more than a series of jokes.
I guess we have different definitions of incoherent and meandering oh well. The plot was pretty straight forward had two plot lines that merged with a good resolution of the events of the episode.

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to have Rick & Morty back.
Strong premiere. The twist at the end with Jessica was glorious, as was the scene with caterpillar Goldenfold.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Didn't care too much for it. The "ironic" fanservice is indistinguishable from real fanservice and just felt like they were remixing older episodes' ideas instead of coming up with new ones.

The bit with Morty killing off increasing heavier waves of law enforcement gave me deja vu of Rick's car doing that to protect Summer. I got what was going on; I just kept thinking "haven't we seen this before?"

I got the same feeling that I eventually did from Bojack; the show used up all of its jokes, plots and character beats in the first three seasons, and now it's just pandering, but "ironic", and rehashing from here on out.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
User Warned: Thread derail with unfounded accusations
They literally just had an entire episode shitting on Fascism and Nazi's and yet people on here are still trying to twist it and say this show is Alt-Right, come the fuck on!

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They literally just had an entire episode shitting on Fascism and Nazi's and yet people on here are still trying to twist it and say this show is Alt-Right, come the fuck on!

I don't know that the criticism is that the show is alt-right, but more that it could be a little better towards women. There's nothing wrong with becoming a little better.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Nice first episode. It wasn't amazing, but the show hasn't missed a beat on the creative front.

I'm a little disappointed that Summer didn't get to do anything but it's only the first episode.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This scene made me laugh so hard! :))

sfzu_bba.jpg

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018

I believe you're the first person to mention it but it's pretty amazing that the first post to mention it, was the only post to mention it, BUT was also lamenting there's too many people here mentioning it. It's like you were itching to make this post since page one but was frustrated no one was setting you up, so by page 4 you just couldn't wait and posted it anyways.

ZackieChan said:
We're at the point where it seems impossible to just enjoy a show.

Also amazing post since there's what, a dozen posts laughing at the fascist running gag and zero calling the show Alt-Right?

Last edited:

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm the closest to doing that of anyone in this thread, and I 100% did not try to say the show was alt-right. Could you link us to a post trying to say the show is alt-right?
We're at the point where it seems impossible to just enjoy a show.
Not really. It's pretty easy to enjoy something while recognizing that it has flaws or uncomfortable elements.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There have been some valid critiques of how the show portrays women. No reason to completely blow that out of proportion; nobody is saying what you're suggesting, nor is that their ulterior motive.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I thought you were masturbating!"
"You took that in stride?!"
"YOU'D RATHER I ADDRESS IT?!"

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Either you point it out where in this thread people are calling the show alt right or you're lying to make a strawman so that you can silence criticism.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My personal thoughts when watching the episode was that the Summer gag was a joke making reference to the short that inspired this series and a vocal number of fans who were outraged about Summer having a bigger "more annoying" role last season (their words, not mine, I like Summer as a character), but I also was worried how certain subset of fans could take it as how the episode was set up.

I don't think the joke has much of a problem by itself, just there's a problem the reason they say it feels a bit weighted, and it could be open to a few toxic interpretations and how some idiots might take it as it is open enough to be taken that way.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, solid episode. I laughed a lot.

Still, isn't kind of out of character for Rick to have auto revival protocols even usable in other dimensions? I mean, being the nihilist and self-destructive character he is, dying shouldn't be that big of an issue? Or is this because he's the "rickest" Rick of all?

Is this another aspect of his character, like being a coward and being afraid in the end of just dying? Being "normal" in the end?

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Man, solid episode. I laughed a lot.

Still, isn't kind of out of character for Rick to have auto revival protocols even usable in other dimensions? I mean, being the nihilist and self-destructive character he is, dying shouldn't be that big of an issue? Or is this because he's the "rickest" Rick of all?

Is this another aspect of his character, like being a coward and being afraid in the end of just dying? Being "normal" in the end?
He took his Phoenix system offline, he keeps getting revived in alternate realities.