• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think it was a great start of the season, lots of varied but well done jokes throughout and sprinkled with lots of interesting establishments of where they're at at the start of the season.

While it's not like profound or anything, I also love that the fascist alternate realities work on two levels. One as a not-so-subtle political satire about the current climate of the world (with some on the nose jokes like how the Wasp reality isn't fascist, but "Wasp Morty has been on some questionable forums lately...", or Nazi Morty killing Rick for getting "too political").

But outside of the obvious commentary, it also makes sense in-universe as this is likely stemmed from Evil Morty also taking over the Citadel last season.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Anyone know if I can use a VPN to watch it on the Adult Swim site or do I need US cable credentials to watch it?

Channel 4 don't appear to be airing it until Jan 2020

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That Fascist Morty is complaining that stuff is "too political" and should go back to just being mindless fun is... delicious.
Calling out a certain group of people. Nice.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This was fantastic - the show's still got it! I was laughing throughout most of it.

Make sure you watch the after-credits scene (I always used to forget they were a thing in this show).
Poor guy gave up skinny dipping to die lonely, it was the perfect cherry on the cake for the ep.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was fantastic - the show's still got it! I was laughing throughout most of it.

Make sure you watch the after-credits scene (I always used to forget they were a thing in this show).
Poor guy gave up skinny dipping to die lonely, it was the perfect cherry on the cake for the ep.
Yep, Rick learned the importance of planning ahead and Morty learned the importance of living in the moment

Also yeah it's unclear if the facist realities are a result of Evil Morty

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He collects fucking Boglins. Jim Sterling is gonna love that.

First thing I thought of during that scene was how high the price is going to spike on those things. Boglins were already pretty pricey, but now that Rick & Morty fans are gonna start collecting them....fuck.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the episode. Loved that it was a stand-alone, it felt very Season 1-ish in a good way. I probably enjoyed it more than most of Season 3, if I'm honest. Rick wasn't too much of an asshole, Morty was sort of back to his old self, the jokes were great, the callbacks were great, all of it.

Loved that Kirkland brand Meeseek lmao.

Great episode, but thought the random brand shoutouts were weird.
The show's always kind of had that though: (I think they're hilarious)

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I thought of during that scene was how high the price is going to spike on those things. Boglins were already pretty pricey, but now that Rick & Morty fans are gonna start collecting them....fuck.
I like how certain brands are integrated like Rick actually cares about them and others are blatant ad-reads that he knows he's being paid to say

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know if or when its coming to UK Netflix?

Edit: C4 airing it Jan 2020? They can't be ignorant of that fact that this region-ing bollocks will only drive piracy.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit that Goldenfold bug torture scene was vantablack levels of dark comedy. Existential absurdism is my favorite type of humor this show taps into.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Right, I get that. I was merely making a comment about how realistically there wouldn't be Ricks(or people, or Morty's family or his house) of other species in other timelines,
Infinite timelines means infinite possibilities means infinite universes where there exists a sapient species other than human with a person bearing your exact name and personality.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite timelines means infinite possibilities means infinite universes where there exists a sapient species other than human with a person bearing your exact name and personality.
I get it, so Rick just happens to be reborn as a clone in wasp universe where not only humanity is somehow the exact same, but wasps, but Goldenfold evolved from caterpillars into another sentient human-like species.

Like I said, I get it, and it's funny, but infinite timelines and possibilities in reality wouldn't work that way. Rick is special, for example, because he was born human, and that special-ness would only apply to timelines split from the universe where Rick was born human. To say some other species could have formed the same exact future sapience, which reflected human history exactly, and made a demi-god genius who was exactly like Rick, BUT A WASP, just could not be an eventuality the way you're suggesting.

Infinite timelines creating infinite possibilities, except when the possibilities are impossible.

But this is the point where I stop over analyzing it because it always happens with different aspects of the infinite timelines trope in R & M and it's not really worthy of further discussion since the show is way more invested in the comical aspect of it than any sort of realism(which is for the best obviously).

edit: and yeah, I know we've seen alternate species ricks and mortys since season 1, but it still makes no sense beyond some good visual and contextual gags, unless you want to argue that the duo have some kind of divine essence that push all species toward producing versions of them that arise in their respective universes at the exact same moment in history

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I forgot how fast-paced this show can be sometimes, lol

Time to rewatch and see background stuff I missed lol
I felt like this episode was a lot faster paced than any other episode.
Biggest thing I didn't like about this episode.

Is this going to be a thing for the entire season or just the first episode?
With season 3, they have half of the season available for watching for a few more days.

I'm not sure how they rolled it out though. So not sure if every episode will be available at some point or if it'll only be part of the season.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The continuity reset gag from fake Nancy Grace was incredible. It's exactly what I was thinking about the whole episode.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just caught the premier. Pretty good, and reminded me why I like the show so much. It's got so many solid sci-fi ideas, even if they're wrapped up in something so crude. Death Crystals are such a great idea, like an entire AAA video game or movie trilogy could be built around them and they're just a plot device here lol.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty crazy seeing just how many fail-safes Rick has in place in case his body dies. No wonder he thinks of himself as a God.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
edit: and yeah, I know we've seen alternate species ricks and mortys since season 1, but it still makes no sense beyond some good visual and contextual gags

And that is all they are supposed to be. This isn't hard sci-fi, it's a comedy show with sci-fi tropes and dressings.

If this was Star Trek trying to pull the same gag, I'd question it a bit more. But if the Orville did it, I'd just roll with it like I do with Rick and Morty.

I mean this is a show that started as a crude ass parody of Doc Brown and Marty, with "You'll have to lick my balls" being the punch line to most jokes.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
From someone who has really enjoyed most of the first three seasons, the fan base has apparently tainted my experience with this show a lot.

Hologram Rick's "I'm tolerant, which means calling out people for goofy-sounding microaggressions related to holograms" just felt like attack helicopter-type pandering to all the people who think Rick's take on the word "retarded" really sticks it to the politically correct. I also don't love seeing them write a scene where they cuss out Summer for just trying to be part of their thing. There's enough misogyny in their fan base without encouraging memes telling Summer/women to shut the fuck up for simply existing in their space. It's not like they're not allowed to shit on Summer or make fun of whoever they want. They can and do. But when it's just for existing and being an other of some kind (like women, in this case) in their garage, it just seems to reinforce the already crappy behavior of many in their fanbase.

Other than that, the episode was fine. Not in my top episodes, but I'd watch it again.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From someone who has really enjoyed most of the first three seasons, the fan base has apparently tainted my experience with this show a lot.

Hologram Rick's "I'm tolerant, which means calling out people for goofy-sounding microaggressions related to holograms" just felt like attack helicopter-type pandering to all the people who think Rick's take on the word "retarded" really sticks it to the politically correct. I also don't love seeing them write a scene where they cuss out Summer for just trying to be part of their thing. There's enough misogyny in their fan base without encouraging memes telling Summer/women to shut the fuck up for simply existing in their space. It's not like they're not allowed to shit on Summer or make fun of whoever they want. They can and do. But when it's just for existing and being an other of some kind (like women, in this case) in their garage, it just seems to reinforce the already crappy behavior of many in their fanbase.

Other than that, the episode was fine. Not in my top episodes, but I'd watch it again.

Hmm, I can definitely see that perspective but I saw the Summer stuff as almost a riff against the toxic fanbase for being so misogynistic. It was parodying how they don't allow women in their conversations and how much of assholes they come off as. However, I do think people could take it the wrong way and the scene can come off to an incel the wrong way. The hologram rick tolerance thing was just a funny gag to me as a juxtaposition about how intolerant "real" Rick is but idk

I guess I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt just because they spent half the episode making fun of nazi fucks that complain the show is "getting too political". In addition, I know they have women writer(s) on their team.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Parodying "not allowing women into conversations" by not allowing women into conversations and ending the episode by repeatedly telling them they ruined the premiere is some weapons grade Poe's Law action.

Having women on staff is diversity. It's not necessarily inclusion or equity, and it's not a shield against criticism of the show.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I only watched it once. But wasn't it revealed thatSummer was actually making fun of them and that's more why that they got all nasty on her?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Parodying "not allowing women into conversations" by not allowing women into conversations and ending the episode by repeatedly telling them they ruined the premiere is some weapons grade Poe's Law action.

Having women on staff is diversity. It's not necessarily inclusion or equity, and it's not a shield against criticism of the show.

That's absolutely a fair point. I'm just telling you how I saw it, but even in my original post I told you that you're fair in your assessment.