• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summarise the video for people who don't want to give a racist views?
He doesn't think Jarvis should've been permanently banned based on the fact that people who cheated during the world cup qualifiers weren't permanently banned (only given two week ban or whatever) + the fact that he was only using an aimbot for the sake of making YouTube videos - not for competitive play/world cup qualifiers type shit. He thinks he should've only been given a ban of a couple weeks to teach him a listen, then let him play again.

He didn't say anything about Ninja.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go out on a limb and say he's right. His point isn't true across the board, but the "streamers are entitled to better treatment" read on his comments seems to intentionally or callously ignore the consequences of Epic's decision. It is certainly true that "a job is not a right." Of course that's true. But I think in most cases if someone lost their job over something and then apologized and there was some gray area around their intent/impact, we'd view the story through a less punitive lens. If he had streamed using the aimbot, was subsequently banned for a few months, returned and did it all over again, it'd be an open-shut case. I feel less confident about that given the current circumstances. As it stands, this is a harsher punishment for a public figure because playing publicly is his job, and creating another alt to stream would get him banned again. Not so for a random player.

Also, frankly, I suspect that if Jarvis wasn't a FaZe guy, or a popular streamer, his plea would receive a bit more support. I don't know that the split would be so pro-ToS if it were someone else.
You should probably watch the Jarvis vid before putting your weight on that limb.

Guy goes through some half ass precautions to tank a game to try and not get banned, makes sure to play on a different account and pc so his main doesn't get banned (I.e. He obviously knows cheating is wrong and a bannable offense), gets banned on stream, and immediately makes a new account to continue cheating. Gleefully talks about giving him likes, so he'll do future aimbotting streams.

His apology is bullshit, he's just sad he screwed himself, not that he cheated. This is as open and shut as it could be.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think it's even more unethical for a "content creator" to be using hacks and exploits since they're making money off of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Ninja thinks he's too popularz to be teh impeached.

Fuck off dude. Go play video games for subs.

Soon he's going to be saying the shit he does his high theatrical art.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
i think ninja is right, if the gaming industry ever wants to be like movies then the rich and powerful should not face consequences for their actions

Sep 22, 2019
That is certainly a pretty stupid reason... how many subscribers/followers would be required to be able to do whatever you want? No one should cheat. period.

Mikhail Klimentov

Editor at Launcher (Washington Post)
Verified
Oct 31, 2019
I am curious, if someone who wrote for the Washington Post plagiarized someone else's work, would that person deserve to be fired? Would/should the punishment be less if if that person wrote for a lower profile outlet?

I don't really view the two issues as equivalent.

Someone raised the point earlier about making your livelihood on a platform that can yank that away at any point, and I suppose the reason I'm sympathetic to Jarvis is that I view this story more in that light than in any other.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
You should probably watch the Jarvis vid before putting your weight on that limb.

Guy goes through some half ass precautions to tank a game to try and not get banned, makes sure did play on a different account and pc so his main doesn't get banned (I.e. He obviously knows cheating is wrong and a bannable offense), gets banned on stream, and immediately makes a new account to continue cheating. Gleefully talks about giving him likes, so he'll do future aimbotting streams.

His apology is bullshit, he's just sad he screwed himself, not that he cheated. This is as open and shut as it could be.

Not just that. But this idea that just because it's his job that he shouldn't be punished for cheating.

Imagine if a professional athlete cheated, or a doctor or lawyer did something that broke the rules. Guess, what - they'd be penalized for it. It's how fucking life works.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Someone raised the point earlier about making your livelihood on a platform that can yank that away at any point, and I suppose the reason I'm sympathetic to Jarvis is that I view this story more in that light than in any other.
Couldn't you say that for literally any (non-unionized I suppose) job, though? You violate the terms and conditions of your employment and you get fired.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same argument the banks made as to why you can't let them fail and/or punish them, and why smaller fish are the ones the hammer falls on.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
That is an entitled take. This kid is practically showing his followers to cheat (intended or not). Of course Epic would want to make an example of it.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Not just that. But this idea that just because it's his job that he shouldn't be punished for cheating.

Imagine if a professional athlete cheated, or a doctor or lawyer did something that broke the rules. Guess, what - they'd be penalized for it. It's how fucking life works.
Yeah, before start crying "you fucked up with my livehood" maybe think first about the consequences of what you about to do.
Althought, I'm not that surprised at this being enabled on the Internet, it comes to my mind the whole Logan Paul fiasco. Dude clearly broke the Youtube rules and got a slap on the wrist and kept earning his money. Same with Disrespect after the E3 bathroom incident. People get to keep their careers after all this shit, is insane.

Mikhail Klimentov

Verified
Oct 31, 2019
Couldn't you say that for literally any (non-unionized I suppose) job, though? You violate the terms and conditions of your employment and you get fired.
That's true to some extent though I'm not comfortable making so broad an analogy. There are parallels there.

On the most literal, factual basis, Jarvis's ban is fair. He violated the ToS. What's surprising to me is the number of people pointing to the Epic ToS as an inviolable thing we should all respect and hold up as law. Cheating in a game does not map cleanly as a parallel to breaking a workplace rule and getting fired to me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

If someone gets fired from their job due to them breaking the rules it's on them. This is no different.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, it's the opposite, people who are in charge and are famous should follow the rules even more carefully, both because they set the example, and also because they are under higher scrutiny.

It's like when youtubers honestly believed they were above copyright laws... welcome to reality.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, rules should be stricter on content creators because of the influence they carry

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Its literally no different than someone being fired if you try and put it that way then. If they are making their living off of it then they need to treat it like a job. And if you fuck up at your job you can get fired.

I do not get the defense force for this at all.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Guy goes through some half ass precautions to tank a game to try and not get banned, makes sure to play on a different account and pc so his main doesn't get banned (I.e. He obviously knows cheating is wrong and a bannable offense), gets banned on stream, and immediately makes a new account to continue cheating. Gleefully talks about giving him likes, so he'll do future aimbotting streams.

That sounds like permaban worthy.
He defends Jarvis and says it's nothing and that people are too sensitive, just the kind of reaction i expected from that piece of shit.
Predicted from a loser like DrDisrespect.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true to some extent though I'm not comfortable making so broad an analogy. There are parallels there.

On the most literal, factual basis, Jarvis's ban is fair. He violated the ToS. What's surprising to me is the number of people pointing to the Epic ToS as an inviolable thing we should all respect and hold up as law. Cheating in a game does not map cleanly as a parallel to breaking a workplace rule and getting fired to me.
I suppose that's fair, but you also have to look at every piece of this puzzle. He did it knowing he was doing something extremely bad - so much so that he used a different PC than his own, made an alternate account, etc. He then posted it on YouTube (don't need to explain how big that platform is) and basically laughed in his videos while cheating, not only influencing people to try it on their own - but showing himself cheating against players who were just trying to compete fairly in their own games, etc. If you take those things into consideration, along with the fact that he's a popular streamer and Epic would want this form of cheating squashed immediately - it makes complete sense that he'd be banned. He knew what the risks were, and he did it anyway.

On another note - let's agree for a moment that these two things aren't the same thing at all (breaking rules in a workplace vs cheating in a game). To me, that only lessens my sympathy for him - because this wasn't "breaking rules of a workplace" - he was banned for cheating in a video game. His life is far from over, he'll be fine - he just might have to, you know, go out and get a job now. Twitch didn't ban him for cheating, he was banned from the video game. Getting banned from a video game for 99% of people is no big deal, they'll just play something else and get on with their lives. HE made the decision to base his livelihood off of Fortnite, and then fucked it up himself, knowing what the risks were.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

The CEO of fucking Mcdonald's got fired for dating someone in his company. Dating is no way illegal but it breaks the company's rules. Making light of a company's rules or trivializing them doesn't make them not exist. We all have to abide by rules in the real world whether you agree with them or not, that's life.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Complete clown shoes with no self-awareness

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I like how his defense is that Logan Paul didn't get banned from YouTube when he absolutely should have.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

The ToS is not a big deal like you suggest. He litteraly promotes a way of cheating to a gigantic ammount of viewers. If anything the punishment is light.

Mikhail Klimentov

Verified
Oct 31, 2019
I suppose that's fair, but you also have to look at every piece of this puzzle. He did it knowing he was doing something extremely bad - so much so that he used a different PC than his own, made an alternate account, etc. He then posted it on YouTube (don't need to explain how big that platform is) and basically laughed in his videos while cheating, not only influencing people to try it on their own - but showing himself cheating against players who were just trying to compete fairly in their own games, etc. If you take those things into consideration, along with the fact that he's a popular streamer and Epic would want this form of cheating squashed immediately - it makes complete sense that he'd be banned. He knew what the risks were, and he did it anyway.

On another note - let's agree for a moment that these two things aren't the same thing at all (breaking rules in a workplace vs cheating in a game). To me, that only lessens my sympathy for him - because this wasn't "breaking rules of a workplace" - he was banned for cheating in a video game. His life is far from over, he'll be fine - he just might have to, you know, go out and get a job now. Twitch didn't ban him for cheating, he was banned from the video game. Getting banned from a video game for 99% of people is no big deal, they'll just play something else and get on with their lives. HE made the decision to base his livelihood off of Fortnite, and then fucked it up himself, knowing what the risks were.
I think what you've written is perfectly fair, and ultimately whether you have more or less sympathy for him comes down to differences in perspective. Appreciate the thoughtful response.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Christ, what a fucking stupid take. I've never had an especially high opinion of Ninja, but I'm still amazed by how idiotic of an argument he's making here.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
This thread. I had no idea making a video of a cheat was treated with such grave seriousness. I say ban him for 6 months and let him back on.
Grave seriousness? A dude was banned from playing a video game, there's nothing grave or serious about it. This is standard operating procedure for anyone who is caught using an aimbot.

"But playing Fortnite is his job!"

So why the hell was he doing something strictly forbidden in his workplace with termination as the consequence? Guy did something that can get him fired from his job, and he got fired. Nothing else to it.

Quick aside but isn't Faze notorious for like, every possible questionable ethical decision in esports? Weren't they heavily involved with the illegal gambling ring (of which nothing happened to them)?

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what you've written is perfectly fair, and ultimately whether you have more or less sympathy for him comes down to differences in perspective. Appreciate the thoughtful response.
Let me ask you this, out of curiosity - I play Fortnite for fun some nights a week. I'm not a streamer, I don't make videos, I don't make any money off of it, nothing like that.

Let's say I uploaded a video of myself using an aimbot, showing people that it DOES in fact work. They then ban my account, so I make a new one and do it again. The video blows up, I'm still a nobody - not using these videos to make money but just for fun, but Epic goes ahead and bans my account for life for cheating.

Do you think I should be permanently banned? Or do you think my punishment shouldn't be as harsh either?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So glad he's not on Twitch any more. Now I don't have to worry about casually clicking on his stream if those I enjoy aren't on. What a really bad take he has here, jeez.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'll get flak for this I'm sure.

I'm 34 and out of the loop when it comes to streamers, the culture and the pay. I do knownits quite lucrative and these kids are making what seems like massive, life changing amount of money from their parents basements.

From personal experience I was very immature in a sense during my teen years and I'm sure most of us were no different. Most of us pushed the limits, unaware how massive the consequences would be for what seemed a minor risk.

This is no different IMO. The punishment is too harsh. The guys future is turned upside down from this. He should be banned for a good while, 6 months? Followed by a limited access probation period.

He didnt steal, or do anything with obvious malicious longterm intent ( imo, it was a one off stunt for views ) he simply fucked up doing one of a laundry list of TOS things he could have been "banned" for. It's his fault in entirety but the punishment is too harsh.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm 34 and out of the loop when it comes to streamers, the culture and the pay. I do knownits quite lucrative and these kids are making what seems like massive, life changing amount of money from their parents basements.

From personal experience I was very immature in a sense during my teen years and I'm sure most of us were no different. Most of us pushed the limits, unaware how massive the consequences would be for what seemed a minor risk.

This is no different IMO. The punishment is too harsh. The guys future is turned upside down from this. He should be banned for a good while, 6 months? Followed by a limited access probation period.

He didnt steal, or do anything with obvious malicious longterm intent ( imo, it was a one off stunt for views ) he simply fucked up doing one of a laundry list of TOS things he could have been "banned" for. It's his fault in entirety but the punishment is too harsh.

This poster said it better than me:

Grave seriousness? A dude was banned from playing a video game, there's nothing grave or serious about it. This is standard operating procedure for anyone who is caught using an aimbot.

"But playing Fortnite is his job!"

So why the hell was he doing something strictly forbidden in his workplace with termination as the consequence? Guy did something that can get him fired from his job, and he got fired. Nothing else to it.

Quick aside but isn't Faze notorious for like, every possible questionable ethical decision in esports? Weren't they heavily involved with the illegal gambling ring (of which nothing happened to them)?
The fact that he's losing his livelihood has nothing to do with Epic Games, Fortnite, etc. It's just the game he chose to stream on Twitch, which is how he makes his money. Twitch hasn't banned him, Epic Games/Fortnite has. Epic will ban anyone who is caught cheating - and that's pretty standard across all online games as far as I know. It's on this kid that he chose to make his living on Twitch playing this particular game, and then cheated knowing full well that he wasn't only putting his Fortnite gaming on the line, but his career.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"There's a difference between an Employee who works for the company, who then gets banned from what makes him money, and some kid who is just a piece of **** who doesn't work for the store, zero money from working," Blevins stated.
"You ban that kid and nothing happens to him. Nothing happens. Oh no! He can't steal any more. You ban Jarvis – it's different."

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

if i do some shit and get disbarred that's on me. if i do some shit and my name becomes mud in media circles that's on me. i don't see why it's different for streamers even if their living is more tenuous and strange.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think you understand clearly the implication of what he did for a company like EPIC. This post sums it up.

If he was just caught cheating, I'm sure his punishment would have been less severe. But for this, EPIC is forced to.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

Can't agree with this. How many do you think who were considering doing something similar have now changed their minds? If the punishment is too lax, more will do it. Not knowing the consequences is not a way to rationalize it. Now he knows, as do many others who maybe didn't.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
The headline and the quote are misrepresenting what Ninja actually is trying to say. In the video he clearly says "he definitely deserves a punishment" he just felt like lifetime might be too severe since it wasn't to win a tournament/for money/etc.

Obviously that's up for debate, I personally think if you cheat you deserve to be permanently banned, but he wasn't exactly saying the rules shouldn't apply to him like everyone who only read the headline is saying in this thread

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Great logic: wanna cheat, just stream! Twitch can be a bunch of cheaters running around cheating against other.

Anyway, this man has an inflated sense of importance.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This might also make you feel better lol.

Mikhail Klimentov

Verified
Oct 31, 2019
Let me ask you this, out of curiosity - I play Fortnite for fun some nights a week. I'm not a streamer, I don't make videos, I don't make any money off of it, nothing like that.

Let's say I uploaded a video of myself using an aimbot, showing people that it DOES in fact work. They then ban my account, so I make a new one and do it again. The video blows up, I'm still a nobody - not using these videos to make money but just for fun, but Epic goes ahead and bans my account for life for cheating.

Do you think I should be permanently banned? Or do you think my punishment shouldn't be as harsh either?
This reminds me of college seminars where we'd study court cases, and the professor would throw out hypothetical cases in an attempt to drawing on our understanding of prior cases. The lesson I got from that (and granted, I was an undergrad, not a law student) is that in a lot of these cases, even given past settled literature and examples, people could reach radically different conclusions.

There are some details missing in this for me. My instinct, however, is that if you decided to do a second video after being banned once, I'd have a bit less sympathy for you. But if you framed the videos as a journalistic or explanatory exercise, in that case the story might be a bit different. Hard to say.

I'll add this: I genuinely dislike cheaters. I remember being exceedingly frustrated by them when I was a more avid PC gamer. But I don't view one game's worth of frustration as worthy of the disruption of someone's livelihood. If I got aimbotted by someone and then I was given the choice of whether that person should lose their job, I would say no.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with this. How many do you think who were considering doing something similar have now changed their minds? If the punishment is too lax, more will do it. Not knowing the consequences is not a way to rationalize it. Now he knows, as do many others who maybe didn't.
He agreed to the Terms of Service by playing the game. This is a thing we all do. There are no excuses here. He broke the ToS and got caught. If he has to go get a real job now, that's on him and his lack of foresight. Moral of the story: Don't shit where you eat.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The headline and the quote are misrepresenting what Ninja actually is trying to say. In the video he clearly says "he definitely deserves a punishment" he just felt like lifetime might be too severe since it wasn't to win a tournament/for money/etc.

Obviously that's up for debate, I personally think if you cheat you deserve to be permanently banned, but he wasn't exactly saying the rules shouldn't apply to him like everyone who only read the headline is saying in this thread
Is the quoted text in the OP incorrect? If not, I don't see how it's saying what you feel he means.