• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
These kids put their livelihoods in the hands of corporations they have no insight into at all, of course no control over and sometimes not even somebody to talk to if there are problems.
I NEVER pity a Youtuber or Streamer if YT or Twitch suddenly change their rules and there are hundreds of outcry videos over that. They picked that lifestyle and, depending on their effort, the easy money. So deal with it!

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Like many others have said, streamers should be held to a higher standard

This is a ridiculously horrible take on cheating with a bit of snottiness thrown in as well.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
These kids put their livelihoods in the hands of corporations they have no insight into at all, of course no control over and sometimes not even somebody to talk to if there are problems.
I NEVER pity a Youtuber or Streamer if YT or Twitch suddenly change their rules and there are hundreds of outcry videos over that. They picked that lifestyle and, depending on their effort, the easy money. So deal with it!

its not even changing rules, every major online game has a no-tolerance policy for cheating and hacking.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, I don't agree with his point, I'm just correcting the misconception that he's saying a streamer shouldn't be banned because they're popular or famous and therefore should be above the rules.

I think if streaming is your job you should be even MORE careful about cheating because yeah, you don't want to lose your job and that other streamer is an idiot for not only doing it but filming it and posting it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This take is already complete garbage, but to add on to it, his comparison to a "normal" user that cheats still doesn't even work.

EVERYONE has something to lose--their account and all that's tied to it. Especially in something like Fortnite that can mean a lot of money for cosmetics, battlepass items you can never get again, etc. Nobody would have any pity for someone who has $100+ on an account that they then cheat on and get permabanned on.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
So basically he's saying it's okay to cheat if you are famous and making some money. But fuck the next person who could very well be a big streamer somday if not for these policies, but he doesn't care about them since they're just some dirty poors in his eyes?

Looks like someone doesn't really care about the long-term viability of the profession he's in since he has already made a lot of money and is a famous streaming personality.

Thanks for showing us who you really are, asshat. If even half of your young and impressionable minions were smart enough to understand what you're doing you'd be disowned in a heartbeat.

I think streaming is cool, especailly on a more intimiate level when people are playing games that are older or not super popular anymore, or casually playing through a new/recent game etc. so people can chew on it together. But this whole Ninja-esque idol worship side of streaming puts a huge stain on my most cherished hobby as far as I am concerned. This further proves my point.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Terrible take, lol you aren't gods because you can be replaced.

I would go as far to say they aren't content creators if they just stream, guys like angryjoe, angry video game nerd Etc are content creators but that's a different topic

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
"Just a piece of **** who has zero followers"

Fmd this line guarantees I'll never be watching a single thing with this prick involved.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
its not even changing rules, every major online game has a no-tolerance policy for cheating and hacking.

I know, in this context it was more referring to the unceremonious ban hammer from above. I get that the dude at the receiving end feels helpless and maybe surprised, but he shouldn't have committed the offense.

Mikhail Klimentov

Editor at Launcher (Washington Post)
Verified
Oct 31, 2019
Gonna go out on a limb and say he's right. His point isn't true across the board, but the "streamers are entitled to better treatment" read on his comments seems to intentionally or callously ignore the consequences of Epic's decision. It is certainly true that "a job is not a right." Of course that's true. But I think in most cases if someone lost their job over something and then apologized and there was some gray area around their intent/impact, we'd view the story through a less punitive lens. If he had streamed using the aimbot, was subsequently banned for a few months, returned and did it all over again, it'd be an open-shut case. I feel less confident about that given the current circumstances. As it stands, this is a harsher punishment for a public figure because playing publicly is his job, and creating another alt to stream would get him banned again. Not so for a random player.

Also, frankly, I suspect that if Jarvis wasn't a FaZe guy, or a popular streamer, his plea would receive a bit more support. I don't know that the split would be so pro-ToS if it were someone else.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
If anything, content creators with millions of followers should be held to a higher standard as they influence large portions of players. If they put out the message that cheating is ok, then their fans may be more inclined to follow suit.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread. I had no idea making a video of a cheat was treated with such grave seriousness. I say ban him for 6 months and let him back on.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Gonna go out on a limb and say he's right. His point isn't true across the board, but the "streamers are entitled to better treatment" read on his comments seems to intentionally or callously ignore the consequences of Epic's decision. It is certainly true that "a job is not a right." Of course that's true. But I think in most cases if someone lost their job over something and then apologized and there was some gray area around their intent/impact, we'd view the story through a less punitive lens. If he had streamed using the aimbot, was subsequently banned for a few months, returned and did it all over again, it'd be an open-shut case. I feel less confident about that given the current circumstances. As it stands, this is a harsher punishment for a public figure because playing publicly is his job, and creating another alt to stream would get him banned again. Not so for a random player.

Also, frankly, I suspect that if Jarvis wasn't a FaZe guy, or a popular streamer, his plea would receive a bit more support. I don't know that the split would be so pro-ToS if it were someone else.
I'd argue that the fact that he's a popular streamer is the entire reason why he's getting any kind of support. Joe Aimbot off the street sure as hell wouldn't be getting this much gladhanding.

My opinion? The guy has a very impressionable fanbase. He was caught out promoting aimbots (not one specific maker, but the concept of aimbotting in Fortnite). Of course Epic is going to want to make an example of that and show that yeah you don't ever do that to our game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This guy agreed to the Terms of Service when he started playing the game. He knowingly broke the ToS and got busted for it. Now he's gotta live with it. 🤷‍♂️

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
I think it'd have been funnier if they wiped his rank and cosmetics instead of a boring old ban. If he wants to keep working, let him work on climbing back up that ladder. It'd also boost cosmetic sales by triggering a wave of sycophants buying him new skins.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it'd have been funnier if they wiped his rank and cosmetics instead of a boring old ban. If he wants to keep working, let him work on climbing back up that ladder. It'd also boost cosmetic sales by triggering a wave of sycophants buying him new skins.

Sure...except it's not about being funny, it's about making their game better by getting rid of cheaters and your, whatever you're proposing, wouldn't really do that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

I am curious, if someone who wrote for the Washington Post plagiarized someone else's work, would that person deserve to be fired? Would/should the punishment be less if if that person wrote for a lower profile outlet?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah this is dumb and why people hate the fact that people with power/influence get off so easily on a regular basis compared to the average Joe.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in this mess, there are interesting discussions to be had about making one's livelihood on a service that you can be banned from, and the death of actual private servers that might let people mess around with cheats strictly in the context of goofing off with friends.

But neither Ninja nor Jarvis are actually raising any of those points, so fuck 'em. Dumb kid and wannabe celeb who's gaining the evil version of class consciousness.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how he calls people that don't stream or don't have many people watching them play "pieces of shit" too. Basically unless you got the subs, you're just garbage and who cares if you're playing the game at all?

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
if anything popular content crator should be more strictly monitored. as they represent the product to millions and millions of people(kids).
people will follow suit because they think theyre cool.

you dont get power without responsibilities

EscoBlades

Banned
May 31, 2019
Toronto
No one should be cheating in the first place, and, if anything, hyper-visible content creators should hold themselves to an even higher standard than everyone else.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one should be cheating in the first place, and, if anything, hyper-visible content creators should hold themselves to an even higher standard than everyone else.

The guy cheated with an aimbot. He deserves the ban, as does anyone else that cheats. Just because you play games for a living changes nothing.

Exactly. Actually because you play games for a living you should be more careful.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So because he had more to lose, he deserves a lesser punishment?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Everyone puts their livelihoods in the hands of corporations they have no insight into. It's impossible not to. Every company has to do business with corporations to some extent, and corporations will regularly change the policies you've developed your business around with you having basically no say over the matter.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

He is not banned from playing games publicly though, he is banned from Fortnite. I realize that he built his career playing that game and that switch to streaming other games is bound to lose him some viewers but certainly not all of his viewers, right? This is more like a setback than a career ender.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
The amount of people dedicating their free time to watch people like this guy..It's sad.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ. Ninja has had some bad takes in the past but this almost takes the cake. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, is not hard to get.