• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.hodinkee.com

Breaking News: Richard Mille Sets A New Record For The World's Thinnest Watch With The RM UP-01 Ferrari

Mere months after Bulgari claimed the title, there's a new record-holder in town.

It feels like only months ago that Bulgari unveiled the new record-holder for the world's thinnest watch. And that's because it was just a few months ago – in March, to be exact. That's when the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Ultra clocked in at 1.80mm in thickness, making it the thinnest watch ever made. Well, there's a new champ in town, courtesy of a partnership between Richard Mille and Ferrari. The RM UP-01 Ferrari, announced today, is the new standard by which razor-thin watchmaking is measured. This new ultra-thin timepiece is a mere 1.75mm in thickness beating out Bulgari by a walloping 0.05mm.
Unlike Bulgari (and past record-holder Piaget), RM has assembled the entire movement, itself just 1.18mm thick, into the case – instead of the caseback doubling as a baseplate which is the usual procedure. The ultra-flat Calibre RMUP-01 features hours, minutes, seconds, and a function selector all spread across the broad, impossibly thin, case design. The movement plate used for this watch is skeletonized and underwent a litany of strength tests which allow it to withstand accelerations of over 5,000 Gs.
The RM UP-01 is limited to 150 pieces and will set potential buyers back a cool $1,888,000.

uG7cjzu.jpg

WlaU6ab.jpg

4GQXjPZ.jpg

Y5RKMef.jpg

Richard Mille has some 'normal' thickness watches, but are more known for monsters like this:

ytk2R9n.jpg

Previous thinnest from Bvlgari

YXfzuA4.jpg

60j7dKb.jpg

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
World record for fastest time to break a super expensive watch incoming. Cause damn that is thin.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Haute Horology is interesting to read about, but much like Hypercars of today - both are losing interest for me. It's just bullet point one-upmanship.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Richard Mille watches have always been ugly monstrosities IMO. I really don't see the appeal and why that particular brand took off with collectors paying ridiculous amounts of money for one of those big watches.

It's actually kinda refreshing that the brand has expanded into different designs and impressive tech. That's a super thin watch. I never would have guessed it was a Richard Mille design.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
What an incredible feat of engineering and design. I've been into watch collecting for some time now and it's great seeing companies try to one-up each other for these world records. Obviously not for mere mortals like myself but I can appreciate the work that went into it.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
psh, imagine buying this when you can get an Invicta watch the size of a frisbee for .01% of the price

rFcE3Bw.png

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually kinda refreshing that the brand has expanded into different designs and impressive tech. That's a super thin watch. I never would have guessed it was a Richard Mille design.
This watch has their trademark 5-prong screws. That gives it away :P

They always had insane tech in their watch mechanisms. Just look at that Nadal watch where everything is being suspended on mesh wires and imagine what assembling something like that must be like:

richard-mille-rm-27-04-tourbillon-rafael-nadal-2-watches-news.jpg

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie. That looks pretty badass, but with that cost, you'll have to get the best watch protector available, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I bet you a silicon fab could make one significantly thinner.

Wouldn't have the fancy brand behind it though, so no interest from "collectors".