• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just found a video where he alluded to progressives being bad, gamer gate wasn't about harassing women, and he chose to work for brietbart because he truly respects Milo for being contrarian...

:l

tenor.gif

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Kotaku is literally the only site that breaks news and the news they break usually involves mistreatment of employees at large publishers or devs. Their work is important, well researched and professional
They're also well known for producing straight up trash content.

wow, so this guy really doesn't actually care about racism then.

His history at breitbart needs to be in the OP, Chaz

This. His views should be in the OP of any thread that references him. He's a garbage human.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Richard Lewis is a terrible human being but he is quite good at his job. Looking back on his past work I can see why he was nominated.
Pretty much, he's an awful person and acts like a complete child on Twitter, but he's broke some pretty important stories.
As long as you're good at your job you can get away with being an antagonistic asshole. I hate this. Stuff like this sets a bad precedent.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think people just say "fuck Kotaku except for Jason" for no reason at all? Really?

you're really going this route? "I've heard this a lot, it must be true, and thinking otherwise makes you an unserious person"? c'mon now

list of great writers and content creators at Kotaku besides Jason (off the top of my head): Maddy, Cecilia, Heather, Stephen, Tim, and Gita

seems like the "fuck Kotaku except Jason" thing is dumb, regardless of how often it has been said

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Richard Lewis is such a pos. Always has been. I apologize that us in the CS scene gave you him and Thorin. Two of the shittiest "esports journalists" in the biz.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Isn't his contribution to Breitbart 6 months of gaming stuff? I know it isn't the best site to be picking up a cheque from each month but these "lol Breitbart" posts strike me as odd given they likely hired him to do what he's good at.

The way I see it, decent "eSports journalist", garbage human given his past offences.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this and it's just so weird to me. One article was bad, they apologized for it, and the entire publication is complete shit?

just doesn't make sense.
It is not only one bad article. There is also the ongoing crusade by one of their writter against Valve which already spawned multiple article.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a second. Trash.

www.kotaku.co.uk

Persona 5's Joker, A Stage Builder And More Are Coming To Smash Bros. Ultimate Tomorrow

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s 3.0 update will be out on Wednesday and will add a lot to the game, even if you aren’t buying the game’s paid DLC.

i like how you linked this when the top of the article is a retraction and a link to a post about how they fucked up and own that.

man, making mistakes and taking responsibility for them? Trash. Can't believe they aren't pure.

like. Is this the threshold people have that makes them go "kotaku is trash cept Jason"? Seems miscalibrated.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't his contribution to Breitbart 6 months of gaming stuff? I know it isn't the best site to be picking up a cheque from each month but these "lol Breitbart" posts strike me as odd given they likely hired him to do what he's good at.

The way I see it, decent "eSports journalist", garbage human given his past offences.
What they hired him to do is not the point though is it. He happily worked for a racist hate brigade

Oct 25, 2017
90% of the posts in this thread are trash.

Richard Lewis is a terrible human being but he is quite good at his job. Looking back on his past work I can see why he was nominated.

I don't know how many of you actually care about esports but the level of behind the scenes professionalism used to be really bad before certain people reported on the abuse players had to deal with. Heck Lewis exposed how the audience was being exploited by a gambling company.

I wouldn't have called the people doing the reproting back then journalists but if they are now flipping their extensive connections such that they can peddle rumors as well as shine light on important problems in the esports scene then more power to them.

Even in that clip Lewis calls out 3 specific article he felt lowered the quality of esports journalism so he wasn't naming names and leaving it only at that.

Yeah, he wasn't just naming names, he was also going on a conspiratorial rant about how they're trying to set up cronies to replace them.

Not having alt-right conspiracy theories on-stage is worth not having his eSports journalism. It's a net loss for him to be given prominence.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
From all the stories I've heard the dude seems like a psycho path. Who are the judges who voted for him to receive this award anyway? Peers? Heads of the award show? I'm just wondering if those who granted him the award even knew who he is exactly.

Oct 25, 2017

Writing about games also means writing about GamerGate.

Having read his work, I can hint you into the fact that it was neither critical nor neutral to the subject.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
i like how you linked this when the top of the article is a retraction and a link to a post about how they fucked up and own that.

man, making mistakes and taking responsibility for them? Trash. Can't believe they aren't pure.

like. Is this the threshold people have that makes them go "kotaku is trash cept Jason"? Seems miscalibrated.

Wait, should you not apologize when you accuse someone with no proof whatsoever of making slurs toward the disabled?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit, I'm not well versed enough in what it is Breitbart do. So I apologise if it came off a bit obtuse. All I really know is they're some sort of conspiratorial Conservative blog?
Breitbart News aligned with the alt-right under the management of former executive chairman Steve Bannon who declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that he's a garbage person because he's a pretty good journalist. He's usually the first one to report on a lot of eSports stories

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Back when StarCraft 2 eSports were a major force, Richard Lewis did a ton to expose organizations that were trying to exploit South Korean "Code B" talent with knowingly awful contracts and a lot of other murky shit in the scene. So I can see how his investigative journalism could be awarded by some organization.

That said, he seems like a big piece of shit.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

also worth mentioning that Kotaku UK != Kotaku US

as far as I know, the author of that piece does not work for the Kotaku that most of us are discussing here

OP
OP

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow, so this guy really doesn't actually care about racism then.

His history at breitbart needs to be in the OP, Chaz
I've added it and understand why it should be there, but if this thread is just going to consist of "Breitbart? Fuck this guy" without any nuanced conversation on what he is talking about, I'm probably gonna request the thread closed because it doesn't amount to any productive discussion.

for example, I'd argue he does care about racism if he breaks this story:

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly when people start railing too enthusiastically at kotaku I'm sorry but my first thought is that you're GG or GG adjacent.

It's without a doubt that that shitty article that was published recently was awful, but it doesn't detract from an otherwise great progressive gaming site. I happen to think that Totillo is kind of irritating, and his response to that article was poor (but I believe the piece was from a contributor not a site employee, correct me if wrong).

Irrespective, Gita, Kirk, Maddy, Jason, all come to mind when talking about kotaku. I think they're great. Don't forget that kotaku is so hated by the right because of its unflinching reporting on them. If you're gonna be a sucker and cancel kotaku then don't be surprised if some ex breitbart chud gets up on stage and does the same.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, should you not apologize when you accuse someone with no proof whatsoever of making slurs toward the disabled?

That line is quite literally sarcasm because you called them trash for an article they apologized for and retracted.

would you like to address any of the other points or no?

Nathan Grayson has some kind of personal vendetta against Valve and has been called out numerous times on ERA for it.

I see one article from him about steam / valve, would you mind providing further context or the name of a piece you remember?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Isn't britbart that alt-right network?

Edit: I'm too late I see.

But why would you go there? Even if you "only" write about video games?

And do you get an award for it?

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The use of Jason as a shield for shitty criticism is bizarre. Hate the whole site and show your ass or recognize that Kotaku has more than just Jason.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit, I'm not well versed enough in what it is Breitbart do. So I apologise if it came off a bit obtuse. All I really know is they're some sort of conspiratorial Conservative blog?
As someone else beat me to it, they literally proclaimed themselves the home of alr right journalism.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly when people start railing too enthusiastically at kotaku I'm sorry but my first thought is that you're GG or GG adjacent.

in this case, you wouldn't be wrong, as Richard Lewis also wrote things like this for his audience at Breitbart:

A senior Riot Games staff member went on a bizarre, unprovoked Twitter rant about GamerGate, declaring anyone who identifies with the consumer-driven movement to be a "monster."

The League of Legends champion designer, Daniel Z. Klein, then spent a good portion of his evening meditating on his privilege, prompting some people to voice concerns about his wellbeing.

The outburst echoes that of another Riot staff member, Becks Hernandez-Gerber, who has made a string of anti-GamerGate Twitter posts as well as aggressively spouting the usual social justice warrior rhetoric.

. . .

This type of language is at complete loggerheads with the "anti-toxicity" stance that Riot Games has adopted publicly and made central to their philosophy. Riot staff members, especially those in the player behaviour team, take great pride in talking about how they strive to make the Internet a better place by eliminating verbal abuse and hate speech. It's hard to think of anything more hateful than actually stating you would laugh if someone burned to death because they were part of a consumer driven movement.

the person who won an eSports Award and proceeded to launch into an anti-Polygon, Kotaku, and Waypoint screed is also pro-GG, who would have thought

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): conspiracy theories over a series of posts in a sensitive thread
I see one article from him about steam / valve, would you mind providing further context or the name of a piece you remember?

You should probably look up the ERA threads for it since they add some extra context and iirc he also did the article that critized valve for their hawaii vacation.