• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets send all the Billionares into space and just leave them there.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the more widespread use of space tech is to monitor earth ecology and meteorology which helps combat and monitor climate change.

The handful of flights which are the equivalent of probably a few seconds of cars driving around the world are a negligible impact compared to that.
Looks to me like Virgin is trying to sell space tourism and is not involved with what you're describing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
They couldn't have chosen a better camera angle for the Branson cam? I don't need to look up his nostrils.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lame. Not even a live view from space. Skeptics going to skeptic now.

edit: oh they did for a brief second. Was completely garbled.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks to me like Virgin is trying to sell space tourism and is not involved with what you're describing.
They already launched satellites using the same tech and you can bet your ass they'll continue doing that. Cheaper more and more available access to space is a good thing.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be on that thing when the burn kicks in. I don't need to go to space, but I'd love to go from 0 to mach 3 in 45 seconds.

They already launched satellites using the same tech and you can bet your ass they'll continue doing that. Cheaper more and more available access to space is a good thing.
Virgin Orbit does indeed do that, it's a subsidiary or spinoff or somesuch of Virgin Galactic.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017

The only tech it shares is air launch, and they are hardly the first with that - Pegasus has been around for years.

Air launch will never replace most of space launch - carrying the rocket to altitude limits the size (and therefore the weight of the payload).

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
That was actually really really cool as it got going--very unfortunate that the on board feeds didn't hold up at that altitude.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Owning space and football on the same day.

Brits showing the rest of the world how it's done.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The Karman line pissing contest is hilarious to me because as far as the US Military, NASA, and Karman himself see it Branson is now an astronaut (among others advocating for updating the line).

I don't think I'd seen SS2 fly, so it was cool to see it even if it was mostly as an ad for rich thrillseekers. Actually getting into your spaceship and going up takes some guts.

Edit: Also I don't particularly care for Branson either but I do find it hilarious he jumped ahead of Bezos and Musk for actually going up himself. They'll argue Karman line but as noted I feel that's meaningless. What I do know about Branson seems to indicated this was something he *REALLY* wanted to do too, not just as something to show up the other billionaires.

Last edited:

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
The Spaceship line up of spacecraft look pretty cool. However if I was told I would get a free ride on both but could only choose one I would do the Blue origin ride. It just seems a lot safer and less prone to human error. Virgin Galactic actually is completely controlled by the pilots, including when the craft is being rocketed into space. Origin option is completely automated.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Spaceship line up of spacecraft look pretty cool. However if I was told I would get a free ride on both but could only choose one I would do the Blue origin ride. It just seems a lot safer and less prone to human error. Virgin Galactic actually is completely controlled by the pilots, including when the craft is being rocketed into space. Origin option is completely automated.
wrong thread
www.resetera.com

Virgin Galactic - First full crew space flight with Branson on-board

Happening on a few hours from now. See below link for Livestream https://www.virgingalactic.com/articles/virgin-galactic-announces-first-fully-crewed-spaceflight/ https://youtu.be/RTpWYWIfP7Y In 9 days, Blue Origin flight with Bezos will take off. Funny seeing the competition between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.