• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm must think Last Jedi is insanely good if they're giving Rian a goddamn trilogy of his own

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
He is the only director they've worked with so far, who didn't have any major problems or complaints.

MigrantOwl

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is amazing news. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what this turns out to be. An Old Republic trilogy would absolutely rock.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, just saw the bit about him *directing* all three?

That must mean they won't be released in two-year increments then

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Exploring all-new parts of the lore never before seen on film and not associated with the damn Skywalkers? Hell yeah, sign me up for that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
VCA6qr1.gif

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awesome. So hyped for TLJ, and now we're getting a new trilogy with all new characters? Yusssss!

Only...it being in another galaxy...better not be a galaxy any less far away than the original films, if you catch my drift.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Holy crap, this is amazing.

And now, my question: are we done with Rey and Finn after the current sequel trilogy? Or will we get an actual Episode 10-12, alternating between Rian's trilogy?

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I've always maintained that upcoming Star Wars releases should aim to dissociate themselves from just simply being yet another story of the Skywalker family. You have an entire galaxy (or galaxies?) of possibilities after all.

That said, there is such a thing as franchise fatigue to me and I fear Star Wars is quickly going to tire me out with all these incessant new films. But I'll be interested to see what this new blank slate entails and whether it will maintain my steady interest over time.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Should be interesting. I'm hoping they can minimise the tendency to shove in for X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Stormtroopers, The Force, etc.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi must be an impressive movie. Maybe this is why he didn't sign on for IX.

I always hoped these anthology movies would lead us to a trilogy or new arc series outside of the I-IX movies before they will later inevitably make X-XII if there are skywalkers left anyway

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So assuming this Johnson trilogy films probably won't be released back to back every year and will start after Ep IX we can look forward to new Star Wars films til at least 2024.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watch as The Last Jedi ends up being good but not amazing and half the fanbase becomes convinced Ryan Johnson will eat their children.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's probably going to become a derail that goes on for pages and pages unless someone points it out:

The official story says it takes place in a new corner of the Star Wars galaxy.

An unofficial story says it takes place in a seperate galaxy.

The official story is probably the correct one!

Oct 25, 2017
OH. MY. GOD.

I never thought I'd be as blindsided and hyped for anything Star Wars related as I was the day that Rian was announced to direct Episode VIII in the summer of 2014. But that magnificent bastard just did it again... AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE LAST JEDI YET!!!

Can't wait to see what the hell Rian's cooking up for this new trilogy. This is insanely exciting news!

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Is he seriously going to write and direct a Star Wars movie every two years for six years? That seems ridiculous. Maybe it's EP8 / Solo / Anthology / EP9 / Anthology / Rian / EP 10?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Okay, I'm going into The Last Jedi a little more positively if Disney is letting him work on more SW movies. PLUS non-Skywalker Legacy movies is always a good thing. It'll be great to finally see more of the SW universe.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, if JJ fucks up IX we have this to look forward to. The tiny description of the new trilogy and saying they gave him a blank canvas is really exciting.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hope this (for now) puts to rest the idea that KK is extending herself too much.

Rian is one of the most talented filmmakers today and he absolutely adored working with this team. So much that he's signed this long ass contract.

This is amazing news.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi must be un-fucking-believable if Disney is giving him the keys to the kingdom like this O.O

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, never expected this news. I need to see Last Jedi to even know what to think of it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Well, I'm kinda torn about this.
This could be really good obviously, but I wish Johnson would do more than just franchise films.
Same way I feel about Abrams honestly.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Is he seriously going to write and direct a Star Wars movie every two years for six years? That seems ridiculous. Maybe it's EP8 / Solo / Anthology / EP9 / Anthology / Rian / EP 10?
No, he's just doing the first one but it wouldn't surprise me if he has major input in the last 2 since he's "shepherding" the new trilogy. But officially he's just writing and directing the first right now.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Woooooooaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited!!! This is way better than just making random side stories, hopefully we can get another epic story.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I'M IN.

Honestly wouldn't have minded if OT/ST characters showed up, but this might be even better.