• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 21, 2017
Did Rian script doctor Finn into being a janitor for the Force Awakens? I swear people have such a hate boner for Johnson they completely forget that all the Finn hype was J.J Abrams trailer misdirect to hide that Rey was the lead.

Finn is the secondary lead of the ST. Just because Rey gets top billing doesn't mean he's not a leading character that gets the rough draft end of the script.

Oct 31, 2017

Really? I guess it's your favorite part of the movie huh?

Was Han and Leias whole arc in ESB a worthless B plot? Cause that's a lot less critical to the Rebellion than everything Finn and Poe and Rose go through, which literally pertains to the entirety of the resistance.

ESB was Han's last shining moment in SW. He does jack shit in RotJ and Leia gets even less to do in both films, imo.

I think the OT could have served those characters better for sure.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finn is the secondary lead of the ST. Just because Rey gets top billing doesn't mean he's not a leading character that gets the rough draft end of the script.

Finn and Rose have my favorite arc in last jedi.
Everyone already saw jedis doing jedi stuff or flying spaceships going pew pew .... we never saw the Mar-a-Lago side of the star wars universe... and this is what is shown in his arc. He needs to see the richs not giving a fuck, the exploration and the "both sides are as bad" benicio for him to wake up and be fully commited and not just be in his "meh" commited

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Diversity wasn't the problem with the movie. The whole thing was a hot mess, Rey was the only one that came out ok. But everyone else? Not so much. I also had a problem with how they handled conflicts and designed their ships. Why would you make slow moving easy to blow up bombers? Oh to make the plot work. Finns arc was just pointless. Like the dude had zero impact on the story. I didn't like how they wrote Luke, he wouldn't throw away the light saber and tell everyone else to fuck off. I actually liked Rose, but they way they used her character(in a throw away section of the movie) was just dumb to me. Amilyn Holdo's scene was freaking badass but it broke the cannon. Like if you could do that why not put a droid in a ship to blast through ships instead of using highly explosive slow moving bombers that somehow have gravity in space. Like how do you just ignore serious plot points from the other movie, say it doesn't matter, then throw a bunch of random stuff in. Like imagine someone was making a Rocky sequel and the new director is like no I don't like that. Let's make Rocky into a substitute teacher and when someone asks him about boxing he says fuck boxing.
edit- and the fight choreography was really bad too. That smoke scene with the red guys looked cool at first but if you pay attention a lot of time someone misses a cue and they fall back like they were hit even though nobody took a swing at them.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is a step back for diversity.

Rian thinks pairing the token black character with the token Asian character together is good diversity. Like he filled a quota and is proud of himself. Fuck him.

These characters were shallow as fuck and were assigned the useless sub plot of the movie. Finn was still the clumsy black slapstick comic relief. And Rose with her nonsense sayings and stubbornness.

Ughh fuck him.
You both call me out without adding any valid contribution to the discussion, and just state that this movie is the best SW? You're welcome to that opinion, but please express your views.

Yes, I'd prefer he not include Finn in the film if they were going to make him look like an absolute clown for the second time around.

I'm Black and Asian, and I what I care about is a GOOD representation of diversity. Characters with depth that make the viewer look beyond facial features or skin tones, not characters that fit in with pre existing stereotypes of race. Just showing up to be the token racial characters just isn't good enough anymore. It's 2019. They can do a better job. They're not fooling me with their lack of effort.
This shit is disgusting, straight up.

Didn't like the movie? Okay, whatever, but don't say the man didn't give a fuck about the movie and just had a token Asian woman for diversity points.

This shit is so twisted that I don't even know how you can properly argue against this.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Movie Answer: to try and save them with a plan that didn't work but didn't matter because there was another plan
Meta Answer: because there's nothing to do when we're not with Rey and Luke or watching a slow-speed chase

The meta answer was to demonstrate why everyone wasn't rushing to help the Resistance and to establish ground work that led to people truly being inspired there by Luke's sacrifice.

Canto Bright was about heroism coming to the actual oppressed rather than existing as a nebulous thing over there.

There's a reason we see the Canto Bright stable boy becoming force aware at the end

Canto Bright is about how heroism needs both bold larger than life symbols and boots to the ground local tangible elements.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This shit is disgusting, straight up.

Didn't like the movie? Okay, whatever, but don't say the man didn't give a fuck about the movie and just had a token Asian woman for diversity points.

This shit is so twisted that I don't even know how you can properly argue against this.

i dont understand how Rose being "stubborn" is a bad thing :s

he is practically saying rose is a bitchy woman right?

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
oh boy i love star wars threads

did we watch the same movie? he was treated the exact same way in the previous movie? i sure as hell didn't think he was a badass in the first movie, just a dude with selfish motivations. even in the second one he's selfish. he straight up kills phasma and then tries to sacrifice himself to save the rest of the resistance in the second one though, so some growth you know.

My boy Finn defected from the First Order. That is way more ballsy than anything Rey has ever done, the woman who has never faced any true adversity over the span of two movies.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My boy Finn defected from the First Order. That is way more ballsy than anything Rey has ever done, the woman who has never faced any true adversity over the span of two movies.
She fought Kylo Ren in VII and faced down Snoke in VIII. The fuck are you talking about?

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Yet some people on this site think calling Rey a mary sue is a legitimate argument. >_>

That would be a conclusion that would require an argument to support it. Although a protagonist who is unrealistically over powered and devoid of interesting flaws or character growth would likely contribute to a film not being good.

Literally all of those things were targeted for being diverse. With a ton of "i'm not sexist/racist but" excessive nitpicking to go along with their reception.
With the people producing the film and acting in the film being harassed. On top of the review bombing. It's almost like there's a traceable pattern.

You might want to reread my post because I don't think it's making the point you think it is. I'm pointing out that you can not care for Black panther or other works without being attacked for it.
But to your point; I already pointed out that bad actors tried to attack those works.

Where is anyone giving people shit for not loving the movie. One example

The very post that I was replying to. Also yours right now. And a bunch more in this thread. Trying to prevent criticism of a thing from taking place at all is 'giving people shit' taken to the logical extreme That nobody explicitly said "you do not like this film and therefor I am giving you shit for it" does not matter, anymore than Donald trump never saying 'I am doing an illegal quid pro quo with you ukraine so you can help me commit an impeachable offense" means he's innocent.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you noticed they only complain when a woman character is being stubborn? Almost never for guy characters? Because I notice it.

i mean, like, the most stubborn person on the movie is Poe

but yet

people complain about Rose and Holdo stubbonrnes only for some fucking reason

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The very post that I was replying to. Also yours right now. And a bunch more in this thread. Trying to prevent criticism of a thing from taking place at all is 'giving people shit' taken to the logical extreme That nobody explicitly said "you do not like this film and therefor I am giving you shit for it" does not matter, anymore than Donald trump never saying 'I am doing an illegal quid pro quo with you ukraine so you can help me commit an impeachable offense" means he's innocent.
Link me, quotes. Show me where I said or even suggested that you're not allowed to love TLJ. Or anyone else for that matter. I'll wait.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck them ofc.
Didn't like how they treated Luke but it does seem the most criticism came from racist shitheads.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What about those who didn't like it cause it was a shitty star wars film? If he really wanted to be about diversity he could have made Rey and Finn a thing but he was afraid of people clutching their pearls.

Poe and Finn were the duo with sexual tension in TFA not Rey

There was never a moment where Rey and Finn were close to being an item.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That would be a conclusion that would require an argument to support it. Although a protagonist who is unrealistically over powered and devoid of interesting flaws or character growth would likely contribute to a film not being good.
Well it's a good thing that Rey has interesting character flaws and plenty of character growth and isn't unrealistically, (cosmic space magic btw), overpowered. 🤷‍♂️

You might want to reread my post because I don't think it's making the point you think it is. I'm pointing out that you can not care for Black panther or other works without being attacked for it.
Mainly because people moved on from those films and the crowd that hijacked the conversation and spread bad faith criticisms are still targeting the last jedi and the people involved with the last jedi years after the fact. Hell, RJ can't even breath without some people essentially saying, "when is he going to attend the trial he deserves for making the last jedi."

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ haters are such an insecure lot.

"Some people dont like a movie because they are racist."

"IM NOT RACIST, THE MOVIE IS BAD BEXAUSE THOS AND THOS AND THIS, IM NOT RACIST."

Thank you for sharing. Not really.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
EDIT: Apologies, messed up some numbers below, follow up post with a chart has correct numbers

phantom menace: 1.03 Billion
Attack of the Clones: 0.67 billion (which was terrible)
more than 300 million less

force awakens: 2.05 Billion
Last Jedi: 1.31 (which some say is the best Star Wars movie
more than 700 million less

a new hope: 0.25 billion (initial release numbers)
Empire strikes back: 0.54 billion (initial release numbers )(considered the best box office movie)
Around 200+ million more

So the last Jedi performance wise did as good if not worse than attack of the clones, the worst Star Wars film

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Link me, quotes. Show me where I said or even suggested that you're not allowed to love TLJ. Or anyone else for that matter. I'll wait.

I assume you mean "now allowed NOT ro love TLJ"?

You are literally doing it right now, in this post, that I am quoting. And in your posts previous. I haven't even stated my opinion on the film, merely that it is unreasoable to expect no criticism of a deeply controversial film.(and my belief that attempts to shut down legit critique only empower bad actors.)

Bam! Instant dogpile.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ haters are such an insecure lot.

"Some people dont like a movie because they are racist."

"IM NOT RACIST, THE MOVIE IS BAD BEXAUSE THOS AND THOS AND THIS, IM NOT RACIST."

Thank you for sharing. Not really.

My favourite is those demanding Rian address why his movie is trash/shit/utter garbage/etc... as if a) that's the actual consensus and b) they're owed it

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Putting the entire Resistance st Jeopardy so she could sexually assault Finn?
I don't think you've ever not made an obvious troll post in a SW thread. If you want your posts to seem somewhat believable, don't just say dumb shit nonstop.

At least pretend to understand what the word 'stubborn' means.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Empire strikes back: 0.54 billion (initial release numbers )(considered the best box office movie)
Around 200+ million more

So the last Jedi performance wise did as good if not worse than attack of the clones, the worst Star Wars film
1. That is not how math works. At all.

2. A New Hopes initial run was *WAAAY* higher than ESBs so your post is completely false nonsense anyway.

The % drop from TPM to AOTC was nearly the same as the % drop from ANH to ESB and was also nearly the same drop as TFA to TLJ.

So far all 3 second acts have played out almost exactly the same compared to their initial entries.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why are all the diversity characters regulated to the un-interesting B plot, Rian?

Exactly, the characters are not the problem. Unfortunately they are being targeted because they were relegated to a shitty plot.

I love Poe and Finn and they are great together, but they were done dirty in TLJ. I'm confident that JJ will do it right.

Oct 27, 2017

Around 200+ million more

Joke post? Can't tell anymore.

Lol? Can't tell anymore.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Well it's a good thing that Rey has interesting character flaws and plenty of character growth and isn't unrealistically, (cosmic space magic btw), overpowered. 🤷‍♂️

Mainly because people moved on from those films and the crowd that hijacked the conversation and spread bad faith criticisms are still targeting the last jedi and the people involved with the last jedi years after the fact. Hell, RJ can't even breath without some people essentially saying, "when is he going to attend the trial he deserves for making the last jedi."

That would be your opinion. Clearly not a universal one. Disagreeing with it does not equate to prejudice on the part of the other party, and it if did, you'd have to demonstrate it.

As to your second point, again, I already pointed out that people moved on. You aren't really adding anything new.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Around 200+ million more

pwAtVo4.jpg

E0FMWXD.jpg

What are you on about

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Around 200+ million more

Ignoring how stupid this post is, The Last Jedi is the second highest grossing Star Wars film so doesn't that mean using your stupid logic it's the second best Star Wars filmed then?

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Diversity is not an item on the list of complaints I have with TLJ. Not that I didn't like it, it was okay, hardly the worst, not even close to the best.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The diversity was the only thing I really liked about the movie. Didn't hate it or anything, I just found the pacing left it a butchered mess. Good on him for standing up for what's right.

Here's hoping RJ's next entry is a masterpiece that racist shitbags can't enjoy.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Around 200+ million more

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but those numbers don't look right, even if we're just talking about the original release

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Basically minorities have to be glad they were invited to the party and we better not complain cause hey we've been told this is "good enough" for you. We're so ungrateful.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Around 200+ million more

Where in the world did you get your numbers? In what universe did ESB make more money than ANH and was considered the best box office film? Like genuinely wtf.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but those numbers don't look right, even if we're just talking about the original release
They're nowhere near close to right
vWynYHk.png

I am so curious as to where that poster got their numbers.

Basically minorities have to be glad they were invited to the party and we better not complain cause hey we've been told this is "good enough" for you. We're so ungrateful.
Who's "we," you don't speak for me.

Edit:beaten

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know they say that all Films are created equal, but you look at me and you look at TLJ and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another movie, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat me.

Then you add AotC to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at the Box-office, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because AotC KNOWS he can't beat me and he's not even gonna try!
So TLJ, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at the Box-office . But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning at the Box-office. Señor TLJ! the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at the Box-office.