• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you be interested in an episode of The Mandalorian directed and/or written by Rian Johnson?

• Yes

Votes: 897 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 259 22.9%

• Total voters

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
IX is just a reaction to the fan backlash on VIII. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten a Rey Palpatine if people weren't salty about Rey Nobody. JJ writes and directs from the audiences point of view in stead of the character's, so that's what you get if you have him follow up VIII.
One of the biggest complaints about VIII was Luke's role, and yet Luke's role in IX ended up even smaller than in the initial working scripts for IX. Stepping back on Rey's reveal is just a clear consequence of going back to the original mystery box concept set up in TFA and wanting to give a big reveal for it at the end, rather than just going "there is no box".

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I do think he made the best new trilogy Star Wars movie.

The biggest flaw of the new Star Wars trilogy imo is that they should have had some sort of coherent story outline for the whole trilogy from the beginning, not just made it up as they went along.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
With how many SW shows are in development, hopefully if Mando doesn't work he can direct on Ashoka or one of the others.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like RJ's work as a whole and he's a very talented guy. I was pretty lukewarm on TLJ but I don't see how someone could be blindly mad at this. It's not like he'd be doing the writing.

Folk have got their fanboy goggles on too tightly.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's going to be 2022 and there will still be a drip feed of news coming from that one interview.

I don't like the show but I guess I'd be interested? He has a hell of a TV resume.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I can't say that I've ever cared about who's producing/directing/writing episodes of TV shows but I still voted Yes purely for the sake of variety

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Frankly, I'd like for him to be in the writer's room for the show, too.

The fact that people loved the season 2 finale... it makes me more understand why so many didn't like TLJ.

...and why I don't agree with them at all.

(Edited to be less combative, lol)

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Hated The Last Jedi but with show runners to keep him in line and on track with what Star Wars is I think he turn out something good.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
If he is ONLY directing it, don't let him near the script otherwise he is going to throw the entire thing off the rails, if he is writing it NO

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes please! TLJ isn't my favorite Star Wars film but it has a lot of my favorite moments in the franchise and I think it was the right direction that the franchise needed but Disney had to get scared of its own shadow and made TROS a reactionary response to the backlash from a bunch of wackos. This in turn retroactively weakens everything that came out before TROS.

Jibberhack

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of his previous SW contribution, but I would be down to see what he does with something with a smaller stake regarding fan investment in the characters. Could be interesting.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Rian Johnson's relationship with the Star Wars fandom reminds me of the Kassandra myth. He's the one to see the truth, only to be shunned for it forevermore.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
I think he does better with his own projects. Looper and Knives Out were really good, but I didn't care for his take on Star Wars.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He made one of the best Star Wars movies and half the fun of SW is watching the fans have nuclear meltdowns so of course

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
He should direct under an alias and expose these manbabies.

edit: and I'd prefer it if he writes too. Even people who enjoy the show don't complement the writing lol.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Not really a Star Wars person any more but laughed at the headline going out of its way to exclude TLJ. Though I found myself surprised that Looper was received so well. Saw it in the cinema and was majorly disappointed in the film.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. Even better when it upsets people, especially here on Era. Even more better if he writes it just for the "But mah Star Warz is ruined" posts.

seriously, i dont understand this interviewer. is this stuff all from the same interview? where is it? whats with the drip feed?

She's not really an actual interviewer. She's an author who won time with Rian in a charity auction. She probably recorded it/took notes, but it's not really something that was done for an article. I don't really agree with her drip feeding the content though.

On topic:

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ may have sucked a ton of butt, but I dont hate the guy. People say that Knives out is actually great.
You can be great and still make some turds.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
He is such a genius, I hope he gets to direct one episode and kills off the Mandalorian Character in that episode and shows Luke failing to take care of baby Yoda, he is so going to subvert my expectations such a genius that absolute madman.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Man, these embarrassing posts that come right out of the alt-right TLJ discourse on Twitter is always so interesting to see on Era.

Thanks for being presumptive of my political and social leanings. I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a film he directed. He's a fine director and has made great films, but I did not like his contribution to the Star Wars universe and regard the entire trilogy as a butchering of an IP I enjoy.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yes please. Even better when it upsets people, especially here on Era. Even more better if he writes it just for the "But mah Star Warz is ruined" posts.

She's not really an actual interviewer. She's an author who won time with Rian in a charity auction. She probably recorded it/took notes, but it's not really something that was done for an article. I don't really agree with her drip feeding the content though.

On topic:

ah, well yea the drip feed is annoying af for real lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't see how Johnson directing would be so controversial

When the worst part of The Mandalorian has always been Favreau's writing.

Unless there's something particularly egregious about Johnson's Cinematography that people have issue with.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Not sure why that would be a bad idea, regardless of whether you liked his SW movie or not (I liked it a lot).

Lol it's not like he would be allowed to take over the entire narrative of the show even if he wrote a single episode.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
That'd be great. The show is better when it's written by people not Favreau, and Rian's a great director and writer.

Funny how people are hoping against him writing. We got the writer and director or Sharkboy and Lavagirl making a Boba Fett series, but Rian Johnson writing an episode the Mandalorian? Too much.

After what happened in Star Wars episode 8? No thanks
Get out while you're on top. I get ya.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
even if you hated tlj i don't think you'd have anything to fear. he's not gonna like, kill gideon and boba fett, dip, and the show is gonna rock with it even if that's not what they planned lol.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
i'm in 100%! love the idea of an alias, too. rian johnson's a talented film-maker in my books

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
brian-thompson-7a4b4e63-20dd-4a50-9e69-28405f3c792-resize-750.jpeg

Live action Shao Khan? I dont think people would buy it.