• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is almost opposite to what RJ wanted for the series, but eh maybe he was just watching his friends on the movie screen and turned his brain off

I will look for his opinion on it in 15-20 years when everyone has finally moved on

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
No because he literally says "I never lied to you" before launching into the retcon :P
But he clearly did lol he is an unreliable narrator.
Its not that he can't lie, its why the hell is he lying? What did he achieve by telling Rey she was nothing and then tell her later oopsies you're actually a Palpatine forget what I said earlier.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons that he would do that, as Terrio and JJ have given us many explanations. Its just that the reasons behind Kylo doing so are poor and lazy writing that gives way to no unique or meaningful character development.
To make her seem small and seduce her to the dark side. after she saw that she can conjure lightning he had no choice but to break it to her.
Kylo wasn't lying and the person who revealed the information to the audience was Rey. The Rey Palpatine twist is "MARTHA" level of bad writing.
Yes he was, he made it seem like Luke was attacking him with the lightsaber, how tf would Rey know? It's not bad writing just because you disagree with it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Kylo saw her parents in her memories and he didn't know that they were Palpatines and he assumed that they were abandoning her. He never lied to her in TLJ. It works perfectly fine.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is almost opposite to what RJ wanted for the series, but eh maybe he was just watching his friends on the movie screen and turned his brain off

I will look for his opinion on it in 15-20 years when everyone has finally moved on

Of course it's quite possible Johnson actually liked Rise of Skywalker and just isn't so far up his own arse that he thinks his vision for Star Wars is the only one worth putting to film, which apparently is a view The Last Jedi fans have and are tripping over themselves to project onto Johnson himself.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible that he's being at least somewhat genuine because he knows how hard it is to make a Star Wars movie in the face of perhaps the most intense - and often toxic - scrutiny that any film series has ever faced.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes he was, he made it seem like Luke was attacking him with the lightsaber, how tf would Rey know? It's not bad writing just because you disagree with it.
He made it seem like Luke was attacking him with the lightsaber because that's exactly what happened from his perspective. That is not lying. Even Luke's true telling of the story talks about what he saw once he realized that Ben was awake. Someone scared shitless and reacting in what they thought was self defense.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
He made it seem like Luke was attacking him with the lightsaber because that's exactly what happened from his perspective. That is not lying. Even Luke's true telling of the story talks about what he saw once he realized that Ben was awake. Someone scared shitless and reacting in what they thought was self defense.
Exactly.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
There is a very big difference between attacking someone and standing right next to them, it's not a point of perspective type of thing, he lied.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm genuinely unsure if I've ever heard Rian complain about anything in general? Like, besides toxic bad people, he seems to enjoy even bad movies (or at least appreciate them for what they are instead of mocking the talent involved).

Also, unrelated, but dude wore Porg cuff links to the Oscars.

Even then he will never shit on TROS. Its called being a professional.

See Lord and Miller statements after they got booted from SOLO.

I can see them being far more pissed at the situation but SOLO is by all metrics also a better movie than TROS.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I actually remember Irvin Kershner being quite critical of ROTJ. Too bad that can never happen in the Age of Twitter.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely unsure if I've ever heard Rian complain about anything in general? Like, besides toxic bad people, he seems to enjoy even bad movies (or at least appreciate them for what they are instead of mocking the talent involved).

Also, unrelated, but dude wore Porg cuff links to the Oscars.

The man is a saint. The way he still has the patience to honestly engage with people who just want to driveby shit on TLJ is unbelievable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a very big difference between attacking someone and standing right next to them, it's not a point of perspective type of thing, he lied.
But later said that he also twisted the truth a bit by his anger to Luke, they were both not 100%.
This is not equivalent to lying, Kylo 100% interpreted the events as Luke attacking him in his sleep and that led to his radicalization into the first order.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Rian Johnson: "This is Kylo's version of it where he tells her that he woke up, saw Luke about to kill him and defended himself. Which, I don't think he's lying, actually. In my mind, that is, that was his experience. It's actually Luke who was really distorting the truth when he left out the stuff in his first telling of it. But you know I really think it's probably twisted a little bit by Kylo's own anger and his own prejudices against Luke, but I feel like he's actually telling her the truth of his experience in this communication."

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That really isn't a lie. If someone stood over you with an armed gun while you were sleeping and you had no idea of their intentions there's no meaningful difference between saying and rightfully believing they were going to shoot you and have saying the stood over you with a armed weapon pointing at you while you slept.

There's only one reason someone does that (and it's to kill someone else). Whether Luke stopped himself is besides the point the logical assumption is that person was trying to kill you why else would they be standing over while you slept with an armed weapon. There's no lie being told from Kylo's perspective.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

He wasn't lying. The whole point of seeing that scene three separate times is to first show us how Luke and Ben each saw the situation as it happened (which likely became exaggerated and twisted over time, as memories often do) and then to show us that the truth sat firmly in the middle.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Luke was literally standing over him with an activated lightsaber. Like, the sound of the saber being activated is what woke Kylo up.
Luke👏never 👏intended👏to 👏kill👏Kylo
tenor.gif

^
This is not the truth.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird that he supposedly must be lying because some of his ideas were abandoned. TROS was a fun movie and a solid entry in the saga.

For the record, I liked all the sequel movies (a lot more than the prequels, and I even like them, too). I feel like I'm in this weird timeline where Star Wars is a sacred cow or something. The OT, sure — landmark films (especially the first two) — but everything else are just fun action/adventure sci-fi movies, man. Calm down and enjoy the ride.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
He and JJ were asked about their thoughts on the prequels for years. They've had plenty of experience framing their takes about shitty movies as delicately as possible.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like "it was fun!" is over used when it comes to disappointing films. You could say this about 90% of action adventure movies that roll out regardless of actual merit or quality or suitability of the word "fun".

There actually wasn't a lot of fun in this movie for me because most of the jokes and such fell flat. TFA was a lot more fun.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its not that he can't lie, its why the hell is he lying? What did he achieve by telling Rey she was nothing and then tell her later oopsies you're actually a Palpatine forget what I said earlier.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons that he would do that, as Terrio and JJ have given us many explanations. Its just that the reasons behind Kylo doing so are poor and lazy writing that gives way to no unique or meaningful character development.

Sometimes I think people really do not pay attention to dialogue between characters, or look beyond surface level stuff flashing on the screen.

All Kylo knew about Rey came from him probing Rey's mind and their connection. In TFA, and TLJ, he is only looking into what Rey sees/knows herself.

If Palpatine's son and his wife fled his Nazi father before Rey was born, hid out on Jakku, then all Rey knows is that her parents were junk traders on Jakku. To her 5-6 year old mind, she probably very much believed that her parents had sold her off for drinking money, and she was understandably upset and traumatized, so blocked it out. Kylo just had Rey say aloud what Rey felt was the truth. Then he twisted the knife. He had no inkling who her parents were beyond what he saw in her head.

In Rise of Skywalker, at the start of the film, Kylo confronts Palpatine, and asks him what's so special about Rey (paraphrasing). Palpatine laughs and we move on to another scene, but that moment is when Palpatine tells Kylo who her parents really were. From that point on, Kylo now knows the truth about Rey's lineage, while Rey is still oblivious to it.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rather shit on his critics than acknowledge the sequel to his movie was balls. What a class act, such a good man

I'm still confused as to what people want him to say. He's still going to be working for Disney making several movies in the same universe. Its called not burning your bridges before you cross them. He can make a trilogy of great Star Wars films and that will be statement enough.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Oh please. The guy probably made enough in residuals from TLJ and Knives Out that his family is set for life.

I don't want to single out RJ. This is something that bugs me across the entire industry.
Yeah.....that's not how this works. He isn't gonna compromise his future just so that fanboys on the net can celebrate him got 18h and then move on.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear some of you would have the guy punch Kathleen Kennedy in the face and kick JJ in the balls and still not consider it enough,"Well why didn't he piss on their faces afterwards?"

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe... he actually did enjoy the movie. Crazy, I know. Not everyone is a frothing at the mouth negative Nancy just itching to bitch and moan about something.
Pretty funny seeing people projecting their own opinion not Rian and can't believe he could possibly actually like it